Smoking kills another Marlboro Man

Smoking kills another Marlboro Man

There are 44 comments on the Magic 98.3 Columbus story from Jan 27, 2014, titled Smoking kills another Marlboro Man. In it, Magic 98.3 Columbus reports that:

Eric Lawson, who portrayed the rugged Marlboro man in cigarette ads during the late 1970s, has died.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Magic 98.3 Columbus.

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#29 Jan 28, 2014
Rambeaux wrote:
Lived to the age of 72? Not bad, I have known non-smokers who died of strokes, heart attacks, and cancer who did not live near that long.
Not to mention kids dying of SIDS who never had a cigarette nor drink in their life.

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#30 Jan 28, 2014
It is easy to spin things and come to wrong conclusions, like the demonstration involving alcohol and worms. One worm was dipped in water and nothing happened. The other was dipped in alcohol and shriveled up and died. The class was asked what the lesson was in that, and they said that proved alcohol was good for preventing a worm infestation.
Will Munny

Bridgeport, NY

#31 Jan 28, 2014
Mexican Hillbilly wrote:
I started driving in the early 60's. The norm for a sixteen year old was as follows:
1. We didn't have seat belts yet.
2. We normally had a beer in one hand.
3. We had a cigarette in the other hand.
4. If you were lucky, you had a blonde on your lap.
5. You could still shift the Hurst 4 speed.
I don't recall that many accidents back then. I live in a sleepy village now and it looks like a Demolition Derby here because of cellphones. The worst one was seeing a guy texting while driving a Harley in stop and go traffic. Be honest old timers. Remember having sex while driving?
Ha! Kids nowadays?
Ah what it was to be young. I did the sex while driving several times and only scraped the side of my car once.

“GREAT OBAMA GLOBAL DEPRESSION”

Since: Mar 10

Huntington, NY

#32 Jan 28, 2014
Mexican Hillbilly wrote:
I started driving in the early 60's. The norm for a sixteen year old was as follows:
1. We didn't have seat belts yet.
2. We normally had a beer in one hand.
3. We had a cigarette in the other hand.
4. If you were lucky, you had a blonde on your lap.
5. You could still shift the Hurst 4 speed.
I don't recall that many accidents back then. I live in a sleepy village now and it looks like a Demolition Derby here because of cellphones. The worst one was seeing a guy texting while driving a Harley in stop and go traffic. Be honest old timers. Remember having sex while driving?
Ha! Kids nowadays?
You probably had a mother and father that worked too.
beatlesinthebog

Auckland, New Zealand

#33 Jan 28, 2014
Will Munny wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah what it was to be young. I did the sex while driving several times and only scraped the side of my car once.
Only time yer shut yer eyes,eh?..heh heh
Jesse Pinkman

Leawood, KS

#34 Jan 28, 2014
Smoke up "Johnny", there may be no tomorrow
cancer suxs

Owatonna, MN

#35 Jan 28, 2014
I would never smoke or eat bad since really into fitness. But I do know many who have smoked from young age to old old age. I think it has more then smoking to do with it.

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

#36 Jan 28, 2014
He wasn't even embalmed. The undertaker instead tanned his leathery hide. The family is working out marketing details for making and selling limited edition cigarette cases.
Independent

United States

#37 Jan 28, 2014
mjjcpa wrote:
You probably had a mother and father that worked too.
Not many mothers worked outside the home back then. Though it was hard work raising children and taking care of all the household chores. Most families had at least one parent in the home.
Now-a-days we still have the latch-key kids, though I haven't heard that term used in quite some time.

“GREAT OBAMA GLOBAL DEPRESSION”

Since: Mar 10

Huntington, NY

#40 Jan 29, 2014
Independent wrote:
<quoted text>
Not many mothers worked outside the home back then. Though it was hard work raising children and taking care of all the household chores. Most families had at least one parent in the home.
Now-a-days we still have the latch-key kids, though I haven't heard that term used in quite some time.
It's a choice for women to work.

People choose to live beyond their means.

Latch-key kids fill our jails and unemployment lines.
Sara Delarosa

Miami, FL

#41 Jan 29, 2014
Smoking Kills, He should of known. But it's addictive, pretty dam hard to quite that habit.

http://hgh.la
danceswithweeble s

São Caetano Do Sul, Brazil

#42 Jan 29, 2014
bert wrote:
yeah that's jus what we need is a bunch of potheads driing upand down the highway. Yup that's what we need
you'll very seldom find a 'pothead' driving anywhere. a good stoner can't even find his car.
Sara Delarosa

Miami, FL

#43 Jan 29, 2014
Smoking Kills, He should of known. But it's addictive, pretty dam hard to quite that habit.

http://hghfit.com
danceswithweeble s

São Caetano Do Sul, Brazil

#44 Jan 29, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
Well of course you think that.
But no matter, there is no question at all that smoking presents major and multiple health risks. None.
Whether some people are more resistant to various cancers is another matter from the simple fact that smoking presents major health risks, including cancer.
the man lived in l.a. they traditionally have the worst air quality in the nation. how do they know that his copd was caused by smoking at all?

“USER BANNED”

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#45 Jan 29, 2014
And I quote...

If you ever lit a cigarette in your life, you have very little will to live.
The Awful Truth

Bohemia, NY

#46 Jan 29, 2014
It's far better to smoke in this life than in the next.

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

#48 Jan 29, 2014
I think it got several of the Cartwrights, too.
beatlesinthebog

Auckland, New Zealand

#49 Jan 29, 2014
Uh Clem wrote:
I think it got several of the Cartwrights, too.
Tobacco and horses...never a good mix.

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#50 Jan 30, 2014
I wish certain politicians would start chain smoking...
ITIMAMOBIWW

Bloxom, VA

#51 Jan 30, 2014
well,, I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Jack Klugman went thru the same thing.
He was quite acerbic to those that reprimanded him for his exhaust.
He felt it was his constitutional right to pollute himself and the air around him.
He was an in your face proponent for smoking, in public, any where, any time.
Then he got throat cancer.
He lost most of his ability to speak,(a bit deal for an actor).
He eventually found a new roll (not his best).. as well as, a degree of religion as an anti-smoking spokesperson.

Still, it goes on.
This generation can't face a future without inhaling post-combustion cannabis products. All in the name of better living thru chemistry.

Will the throat and lung cancer consequences be any different?
Probably not.

Will those sorry dumb bastards that smoked themselves in to an early grave still want to socialize the expense of their idiocy?
Probably.

and - so on, with eCigarettes, too.

The faces may change.
The substances may change.
The laws and society may change.
The chemistry and the physiology does not.

That always comes as a surprise to those rugged individuals after decades of self abuse. They aren't quite so independent and inspiring - dragging around their little bottles of Oxygen or being pushed around in a wheel chair.

All on MedicAid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Topix threesomes (May '12) 1 min Crazy Jae 530
Dedicate a song (Jul '08) 4 min Wolftracks 16,052
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 4 min Alain Vain 10,179
Users:: (Jun '14) 4 min Crazy Jae 16
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 min dirtclod 171,902
" Tell me a secret"...... (Oct '14) 10 min Crazy Jae 523
Has anyone on here told lies about you? (Dec '11) 11 min Princess Hey 228
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 18 min Wolftracks 167,197
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 18 min Jennifer Renee 12,722
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 48 min andet1987 9,331