Hidden New York: Pomander Walk

Hidden New York: Pomander Walk

Posted in the Weird Forum

Anonymous

Sharon Springs, NY

#1 Feb 2, 2014
Pomander Walk
Twenty-seven buildings resembling Tudor homes with colorful doors, shutters and timber frames grace this gated street that's tucked away on the Upper West Side, nearly completely out of view to passersby. Originally conceived as a temporary property that was to be knocked down and replaced with a hotel, Pomander Walk—which is modeled after an old London street and the set of a stage play, both of the same name—earned landmark status in 1982. Surrounded by buildings that tower hundreds of feet above its rooftops, this pedestrian-only lane of residences is a peaceful respite from the people and cars that hustle and bustle past its wrought-iron gates every day, unaware of the sanctuary within. You can't access the hidden haven unless you have a key or know someone who does, but the picturesque spot is still worth a peek through the gate.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#2 Feb 2, 2014
I can't think of a single thing that I would care less about..

at this moment..
Anonymous

Sharon Springs, NY

#3 Feb 2, 2014
justaguess wrote:
I can't think of a single thing that I would care less about..
at this moment..
Well you should care, these are beautiful pieces of architechture, some of the nicest homes in manhattan.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#4 Feb 2, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you should care, these are beautiful pieces of architechture, some of the nicest homes in manhattan.
So what.?

Copies from another country..they mean nothing to me or anyone I know..

now if you were to have visited the queen anne mansions and were making a comparison to these copies then you would have something that is really stinkin'..but you don't and haven't so my lack of interest stands.

enjoy your vision..sorry to burst your bubble..

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#5 Feb 3, 2014
fine just fine weather permitting

“CHEERING UK IN OLYMPICS”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#6 Feb 3, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
Pomander Walk
Twenty-seven buildings resembling Tudor homes with colorful doors, shutters and timber frames grace this gated street that's tucked away on the Upper West Side, nearly completely out of view to passersby. Originally conceived as a temporary property that was to be knocked down and replaced with a hotel, Pomander Walk—which is modeled after an old London street and the set of a stage play, both of the same name—earned landmark status in 1982. Surrounded by buildings that tower hundreds of feet above its rooftops, this pedestrian-only lane of residences is a peaceful respite from the people and cars that hustle and bustle past its wrought-iron gates every day, unaware of the sanctuary within. You can't access the hidden haven unless you have a key or know someone who does, but the picturesque spot is still worth a peek through the gate.
This sounds absolutely delightful, New York never fails to amaze. Thank you so
much for bringing this to our attention Anon.
Should I ever be fortunate enough to return to NYC, then this is on my 'places of
interest' to visit.
Interestingly (or not) lol, within 15 miles or so from where I now live, the Tudor
family originated. The farmhouse where Owen Tydir (Tudor) was born, still
stands. This was the foundation of our Royal family....the Tudor Dynasty.
Anonymous

Sharon Springs, NY

#7 Feb 3, 2014
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
This sounds absolutely delightful, New York never fails to amaze. Thank you so
much for bringing this to our attention Anon.
Should I ever be fortunate enough to return to NYC, then this is on my 'places of
interest' to visit.
Interestingly (or not) lol, within 15 miles or so from where I now live, the Tudor
family originated. The farmhouse where Owen Tydir (Tudor) was born, still
stands. This was the foundation of our Royal family....the Tudor Dynasty.
New York still amazes me too! I was born in queens, and I've been to manhattan so many times, but I never knew these homes existed until I recently read an article on them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association. (Nov '10) 4 min KNIGHT DeVINE 19,732
News With help from goat, wily Clydesdale goes on la... 7 min SPLAT 5
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 8 min KNIGHT DeVINE 14,166
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 9 min Harlan Globetrotter 33,296
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 10 min KNIGHT DeVINE 13,731
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 11 min KNIGHT DeVINE 197,745
rip 17 min beatlesinthebog 2
News new Women bare breasts for gender equality on G... 22 min P Ness 28
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr revilot2 59,962
Make up your wildest Headline. (Aug '08) 1 hr Go Blue Forever 682
More from around the web