Do women belong on the front line?

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

#23 Dec 6, 2012
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>I hope not. I served with many women in 16 years,in two branches. They were in combat support(supply)bringing stuff close to the troops when on training exercises. They weren't happy about getting that close to the front in TRAINING. How would it be for the real deal? We saw supply units shot up in Iraqi Freedom and women were wounded/killed. One was even taken POW(Jessica Lynch). An unprecedented rescue operation was mounted to get her back. This wouldn't have been done for a man. It was a misallocation of assets out of preportion for results. Purely a PR stunt BECAUSE she was a woman..... I hope the day never comes when women are assigned to infantry units. You just can't put a sheep in wolf's clothing.....

Not all women are the maternal type. Look at inmate populations, for women they are rising rapidly. Their crimes are just as brutal as any man's. In the past many people just couldn't fathom they could be that cruel and they were given lighter sentences. Perceptions change and it will in the military too, it's just a matter of time.

Arabian Prancer

“Legend in my own mind”

Level 4

Since: Dec 12

Cougar & lovin'it!

#24 Dec 6, 2012
Absolutly not!

Since: Aug 08

Buffalo, NY

#25 Dec 6, 2012
... did ya every see them shop on black friday ... send them in ...

Arabian Prancer

“Legend in my own mind”

Level 4

Since: Dec 12

Cougar & lovin'it!

#26 Dec 6, 2012
We fight to protect them.Whats next, 12 year olds?

Level 2

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#27 Dec 6, 2012
EraserX wrote:
<quoted text>
But not ALL women. Surely there are one or two that could keep up. That's a weak argument by itself.
We can fix that by making woman pass the same physical training tests that Army men had to pass in the late sixties when I was in basic training in the Army in order to be on the front lines.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#28 Dec 6, 2012
Prolol Tart wrote:
It is the same the world over.
Men don't want women in combat because most women will seek a peaceful resolution first.
Violence is a mans sport.
It is not in the female nature to fight for vapid or material things. Territory or treasure.
Women will kill to protect children and other women first, and at the last if necessary, their men.
If women were in charge of the world, there would be no more war.
They would set down the rules for a peaceful earth.
Any males who tried to subvert that would be swiftly punished and ostracized. If the aggression continued they and their cohorts would be swiftly aborted.
I normally don't pay attention to fruit baskets but in your case I HAD to make an exception.... Catherine the Great of Russia started a war with Prussia. Elizabeth the 1st of England sent out the English Navy that decimated the Spanish Armada. Cleopatra eliminated siblings for a throne and made a disasterous war on Rome. I can't remember the name of the woman but she was a Pict Queen who spent years warring with surrounding tribes. Now that I've shot holes thru your unicorns and rainbow theory......

Level 2

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#29 Dec 6, 2012
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Wary. I went over this with some Sheeple person on another thread. There are any number of reasons why woman do not belong in infantry units. Regardless that they want to be there,think they could keep up with male troops or even get the same pay. Women just aren't physically capable for the extended operations sometimes demanded for a mission. Body armor(40+ pounds),combat gear(60+ pounds),the distances moved in a given time frame or the strength/agility for prolonged periods faced in a combat situation all combine to produce an enviroment where women would become combat ineffective(wounded/killed/exh austed)in a rapid manner to the detriment to unit cohesion and effectiveness.
That definitely should be considered. I seriously doubt most women could pass the physical fitness tests that men had to pass in the 1960s in the Army.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#31 Dec 6, 2012
Always Wary wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all women are the maternal type. Look at inmate populations, for women they are rising rapidly. Their crimes are just as brutal as any man's. In the past many people just couldn't fathom they could be that cruel and they were given lighter sentences. Perceptions change and it will in the military too, it's just a matter of time.
Its nothing personal or macho about it. Its a matter of natural fact. SOME women may be able for short duration keep up the pace,but you cannot deny your own physiology. But hey,if you girls want to put on the big boy pants-go for it. Just remember,nothing is worse than getting what you wish for......

“Slightly below above-average”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

arguably garrulous

#32 Dec 6, 2012
Always Wary wrote:
<quoted text> We can stop periods for months with medications or a shot. It's not a viable issue.
If we give them enough stuff, I bet they could hit 80 homers a year.

Requiring medication is a burden. On the front lines, that's a big issue for either gender. Don't ignore it.

If you have a job for 20 good people with a good probability that some won't come home, do yourself a favor and send in the 20 best people you have to get the job done so that they can all come home.

You make the grade - you're on the team.

“Happiness is a warm gun”

Since: Nov 09

Hey Bungalow Bill, waddya kill

#34 Dec 6, 2012
Always Wary wrote:
<quoted text>The post was a reply to you. It seems the word but can only have one t, not two.
Whether we agree or not is beside the point, we don't make the rules :) I do see it happening in the foreseeable future. Like ana said, I think it will have criteria they have to meet and it will be voluntary for women, at first....
To be honest I would prefer not another drop of American blood be shed on foreign soil.
Nor would I.

However [and thanks for self-replying to the deleted post], you're reasoning is spot on in that post.

Israel comes to mind. I vaguely remember something about at least another country having women in combat units; can't remember if it was regular military or paramilitary.

Women can be trained killers with weaponery too.

“My latest victim”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#35 Dec 7, 2012
I wonder about the emotional side of it. Sharing something as demanding and stressful as it would be between the two sexes, there are bound to be love connections of sort. Perhaps a change in priorities to follow.

Some of the group would be worried and report it to a superior officer. You would have drama on your front line.

Also, wouldn't there be a large added expense in accommodating both sexes?

I don't know. Just looking at another point of view.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#36 Dec 7, 2012
Sure, but as soon as the first woman comes home in a pine box it'll end.
Hoosier Hillbilly

Oxford, OH

#37 Dec 7, 2012
No offense ladies:
IMO:
The philosophical differences between a man and a woman prevent the cohesion necessary in actual combat.

Yes,'i' know some men cry but it goes alot 'deeper' than that!!!

“I call it as I see it.”

Level 8

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#38 Dec 7, 2012
Always Wary wrote:
<quoted text> We can stop periods for months with medications or a shot. It's not a viable issue.
Trying to outwit mother nature can have some serious medical consequences in the future. If a female soldier takes such medication and develops serious gynecological problems as a result, who is going to pay for treating it? The taxpayers?

http://womensenews.org/story/medicine/060823/...

“I call it as I see it.”

Level 8

Retirement City

#39 Dec 7, 2012
I served in a regular Army in an all male unit and later in the National Guard with a mixed unit. Integrating the sexes in the National Guard was a ball and chain on cohesiveness of the unit I served in and it wasn't even a combat unit.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#40 Dec 7, 2012
Woman already fly combat missions in both fighter aircraft and helos...no big deal.

They actually make pretty good pilots I'm told and read.

The cohesiveness of a unit is based on the attitude of team members and the type and quality of the leadership. As long as the team shares the leader's goals and willingness to follow that leader, it makes little or no difference what sex the team members are.

“I call it as I see it.”

Level 8

Retirement City

#41 Dec 7, 2012
milwaukee69 wrote:
Woman already fly combat missions in both fighter aircraft and helos...no big deal.
They actually make pretty good pilots I'm told and read.
The cohesiveness of a unit is based on the attitude of team members and the type and quality of the leadership. As long as the team shares the leader's goals and willingness to follow that leader, it makes little or no difference what sex the team members are.
There is a big difference between a helicopter or jet pilot and being in the infantry. The demands are totally different and being a pilot is more of a mental thing as opposed to the infantry being a physical thing.
Hoosier Hillbilly

Oxford, OH

#42 Dec 7, 2012
M69 the thread topic is:

Do women belong on the front line?

In a combat situation I say no. Yes, I think they are perfectly capable of front line duties in many areas but not in the 'foxhole'.

In other words, I can't see you floating around in a life raft with a woman swabbie. LMAO!

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#43 Dec 7, 2012
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>There is a big difference between a helicopter or jet pilot and being in the infantry. The demands are totally different and being a pilot is more of a mental thing as opposed to the infantry being a physical thing.
You ought to try it sometime - the demands of a fighter pilot are the same - maybe even more.

Ever pull an 8g power peg with both AB's lit?

I think you underestimate flying.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#44 Dec 7, 2012
As for belonging on the frontline - there are women out there that can out perform any man. Those are the women that belong on the frontline - just like a few good men, only the elite should be on point.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 min Denny CranesPlace 67,097
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 10 min Chimney1 216,624
News Cleveland 53 mins ago 8:55 p.m.Man charged with... 25 min Christine 1
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 27 min Hoosier Hillbilly 11,129
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 35 min whatimeisit 5,780
Benghazi (Oct '15) 36 min Hoosier Hillbilly 107
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 38 min Hoosier Hillbilly 37,071
News Trump's bizarre claim that the Clinton email co... 58 min Bye Bye 979
All Christmas Carols/Songs and Quotes.. 1 hr Grace Nerissa 44
News Church fined $12,000 for helping homeless new 1 hr Spotted Girl 41
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr avon5735 206,908
More from around the web