WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

tallyho wrote:
ii said it is out date , never said strike it from the constitution .... people please read what is there not what you want to be there..
I'm done because this thread is a big merry-a-go-round ....
apologize how i missed another thread don't know sorry all

“Licensed to Ill”

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
Drone technology is no different than fighter technology - only without the pilot.
All weather drones are already here - all you have to do is stand on your front porch and wave.
Kudos to the first Swamp man that shoots one out of the sky with a 12 gage. lol
It doesn't matter. Some day someone will figure out how to minimize their effectiveness. Even with stealth ability ... I guarantee you someone will figure out a way to negate it. Looks like its already been done, in fact:

http://www.defencetalk.com/cassidians-passive...

Now what happens when this technology improves further and becomes more wide spread. That and shoulder mounted S to A missiles and you can say good by to your drones.

I'm just a guy in an office with no formal military training and I figured this out. I'm pretty darn sure generals in other countries or insurgent leaders who live and breath this stuff every day already have or will too.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter. Some day someone will figure out how to minimize their effectiveness. Even with stealth ability ... I guarantee you someone will figure out a way to negate it. Looks like its already been done, in fact:
http://www.defencetalk.com/cassidians-passive...
Now what happens when this technology improves further and becomes more wide spread. That and shoulder mounted S to A missiles and you can say good by to your drones.
I'm just a guy in an office with no formal military training and I figured this out. I'm pretty darn sure generals in other countries or insurgent leaders who live and breath this stuff every day already have or will too.
The biggest problem I see - and we are really off topic, btw - is that not a lot of nasties out there possess the ability to engineer their own guidance systems. We share that technology with only a very few friendlies. Witness North Korea - even though they possess nuclear capability, they can't get a missile to fly straight, let alone carry a nuclear warhead. The US has ruled the roost as far as technology is concerned for a very long time - and I don't see it ending anytime soon. That being said, coming up with an idea of how to outdo modern technology is the easy part - providing the means is a whole other ball of wax.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Predator's SAR is a sophisticated all-weather sensor capable of providing photographic-like images through clouds, rain or fog, and in daytime or nighttime conditions; all in real-time.
Drones,self loading/autonomous weapons ect can be effective but also have limitations..... Drones can't take ground,look in caves/bunkers. Placing too much trust in fancy gizmos and ignoring or even denying a need for a well trained/equipped ground force in peak physical conditioning can lead to lost lives,battles and wars. Wars,like elections have consequences. Wars even more so. A country can survive an election lost by one party in power or another. To lose a war could be a loss of National Identity.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Placing too much trust in fancy gizmos
I get it now.

Nevermind.

“Licensed to Ill”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
The biggest problem I see - and we are really off topic, btw - is that not a lot of nasties out there possess the ability to engineer their own guidance systems. We share that technology with only a very few friendlies. Witness North Korea - even though they possess nuclear capability, they can't get a missile to fly straight, let alone carry a nuclear warhead. The US has ruled the roost as far as technology is concerned for a very long time - and I don't see it ending anytime soon. That being said, coming up with an idea of how to outdo modern technology is the easy part - providing the means is a whole other ball of wax.
We don't know what the technology will be like in 15 to 20 years, tho, and who will possess it. We don't know who we will be fighting. Will it be a proxy war between us and another military power, like Afghanistan for the Russians or Vietnam for us? It's not impossible. If that's the case these things you point to won't hold true. There are just so many variables to say that we can do this safely. It could be that in 25 years, this technology is so widely available that many nations have it.

Eventually N. Korea will get it right, if they keep trying. It took us quite a bit of time to figure it out and we had German scientists, who were the best in the world at rocketry, and captured V2s, and a lot more $$ to work with.

Also, in unconventional wars, you sometimes don't know who your enemy is. They can blend in with the populace or as Afghanistan has shown the military of the allies (I would call Afghanistan more of a frenemy than an ally) you are fighting with. In that situation close combat becomes more likely.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Drones,self loading/autonomous weapons ect can be effective but also have limitations..... Drones can't take ground,look in caves/bunkers. Placing too much trust in fancy gizmos and ignoring or even denying a need for a well trained/equipped ground force in peak physical conditioning can lead to lost lives,battles and wars. Wars,like elections have consequences. Wars even more so. A country can survive an election lost by one party in power or another. To lose a war could be a loss of National Identity.
with tech today , one field piece can fire 5 shells in a minute and by arcing can have all 5 on target at the same time

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Dump American Eagle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
with tech today , one field piece can fire 5 shells in a minute and by arcing can have all 5 on target at the same time
Yeah,I know. I did Arty for 8 years. With the older guns,manually loaded/operated the best we could do was 2-3. We used to mass batteries for time on target,where several units at different places all fired at different times but the salvoes all hit together. We were in a place while doing fire missions at 29 Palms that allowed us to see the impact area from several miles off. It was a Regimental TOT,3 Battalions of 4 Batteries each with 6 guns per Battery. 54 105's and 18 155's..... Impressive.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah,I know. I did Arty for 8 years. With the older guns,manually loaded/operated the best we could do was 2-3. We used to mass batteries for time on target,where several units at different places all fired at different times but the salvoes all hit together. We were in a place while doing fire missions at 29 Palms that allowed us to see the impact area from several miles off. It was a Regimental TOT,3 Battalions of 4 Batteries each with 6 guns per Battery. 54 105's and 18 155's..... Impressive.
thanks for the info: I'm as old now as those China Marines were to me ... did about 5 years ago , ask gysgt if they still bayonet drills .. a big ROG was his answer...

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Dump American Eagle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
thanks for the info: I'm as old now as those China Marines were to me ... did about 5 years ago , ask gysgt if they still bayonet drills .. a big ROG was his answer...
As I said earlier a rifle without abayonet is like gravy without biscuits.... Nice but missing something. The new AR-15 I bought had a bayonet lug on it,but thew dang thing was a full 10 inches from the muzzle. About as useful as tits on a bull. I found a clamp around the barrel bayonet lug and installed it where one belonged. Where the bayonet would properly attach. Works like a charm.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

okimar wrote:
<quoted text>As I said earlier a rifle without abayonet is like gravy without biscuits.... Nice but missing something. The new AR-15 I bought had a bayonet lug on it,but thew dang thing was a full 10 inches from the muzzle. About as useful as tits on a bull. I found a clamp around the barrel bayonet lug and installed it where one belonged. Where the bayonet would properly attach. Works like a charm.
oooooooooooorah you and the bam have a good holidays ..sir

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't know what the technology will be like in 15 to 20 years, tho, and who will possess it. We don't know who we will be fighting. Will it be a proxy war between us and another military power, like Afghanistan for the Russians or Vietnam for us? It's not impossible. If that's the case these things you point to won't hold true. There are just so many variables to say that we can do this safely. It could be that in 25 years, this technology is so widely available that many nations have it.
Eventually N. Korea will get it right, if they keep trying. It took us quite a bit of time to figure it out and we had German scientists, who were the best in the world at rocketry, and captured V2s, and a lot more $$ to work with.
Also, in unconventional wars, you sometimes don't know who your enemy is. They can blend in with the populace or as Afghanistan has shown the military of the allies (I would call Afghanistan more of a frenemy than an ally) you are fighting with. In that situation close combat becomes more likely.
The Germans invented the V2, not a guidance system. It was a point and shoot weapon. The V-2 was guided by four external rudders on the tail fins, and four internal graphite vanes at the exit of the motor. The LEV-3 guidance system consisted of two free gyroscopes (a horizon and a vertical) for lateral stabilization, and a PIGA accelerometer to control engine cutoff at a specified velocity. The V-2 was launched from a pre-surveyed location, so the distance and azimuth to the target were known. Fin 1 of the missile was aligned to the target azimuth. Nothing like what is required to land a cruise missile up the ass of a camel in the middle of nowhere.

Btw, did you see the Air Force launched an unmanned mini-shuttle into space yesterday? Top secret mission...hmmmmmmm
Level 6

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

There are not that many men anymore.. so if we re going for WWIII:
Send your men, send your women, send you cats and dogs,... darn it, if it can follow a direct order or press a button do it!
phaines

Big Bear Lake, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

QuiteCrazy wrote:
There are not that many men anymore.. so if we re going for WWIII:
Send your men, send your women, send you cats and dogs,... darn it, if it can follow a direct order or press a button do it!
and "old men" ...lol

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Of coarse they do. You should always be a gentlemen and let the lady's move to the front of a line. Expecially in unisex bathrooms.

“Licensed to Ill”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Germans invented the V2, not a guidance system. It was a point and shoot weapon. The V-2 was guided by four external rudders on the tail fins, and four internal graphite vanes at the exit of the motor. The LEV-3 guidance system consisted of two free gyroscopes (a horizon and a vertical) for lateral stabilization, and a PIGA accelerometer to control engine cutoff at a specified velocity. The V-2 was launched from a pre-surveyed location, so the distance and azimuth to the target were known. Fin 1 of the missile was aligned to the target azimuth. Nothing like what is required to land a cruise missile up the ass of a camel in the middle of nowhere.
Btw, did you see the Air Force launched an unmanned mini-shuttle into space yesterday? Top secret mission...hmmmmmmm
Yeah, I did. I wonder what they are up to. I think this is the third time they've launched it.

I also saw the N. Koreans had a successful launch.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I did. I wonder what they are up to. I think this is the third time they've launched it.
I also saw the N. Koreans had a successful launch.
Yeah, I saw that too - define "successful" though. Their previous 29 launches never made it more than a mile from the pad.
Level 6

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

phaines wrote:
<quoted text>
and "old men" ...lol
Why not? Smack some sense into todays youth and give a pair...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••