Why Birds Are Igniting in Midair Over...

Why Birds Are Igniting in Midair Over California

There are 105 comments on the HOT 107.9 story from Aug 19, 2014, titled Why Birds Are Igniting in Midair Over California. In it, HOT 107.9 reports that:

A cutting-edge solar technology in California's Mojave Desert may have a bit too much cut.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at HOT 107.9.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#46 Aug 22, 2014
Latter Day Taints wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, I thought you were mocking solar. Oh wait, you were.
People who deny climate change simply do not know anything, period. Global reinsurers, qualified scientists, the Pentagon and intelligence agencies have known about the issue for decades now. These are serious people who get funded whether there's a climate change issue or not. Deniers are ignoramuses.
1. It's not clear that a person's carbon footprint will be greater just because they move from South America to the US. In fact, given the more temperate climate it might actually decrease...if their economic level stays constant at least for awhile. You're confused.
2. Nuclear would not exist without a massive, unprecedented government subsidy (assumption of the liability for any nuclear accident across the board.) Oil and coal get big subsidies.
So people who simply say, without looking at the context, that renewables are too expensive are engaging in a lie. In the free market it would be nuclear that would be hugely expensive (it would not exist at all.) And solar would be a lot cheaper with subsidies coming anywhere near the sort that nuclear, in particular, gets.
A turnkey, home solar system is expensive now - tens of thousands. Even with the partial subsidies you can now get, the payback period can be around six to eight years in sunny parts of the country, because the homeowner can sell electricity back to the grid. This payback period makes good economic sense.
But of course, "solar" need not mean a whole turnkey system. It could mean something as simple as a crude system to help directly heat water for bathing or to help warm the home.
What happened to the term Global Warming? It hasn't got warmer in the last 17 years. I thought the Artic was going to be ice free by 2010! There always has been climate change but man doesn't control it and he doesn't cause it.

Level 8

Location hidden

#47 Aug 22, 2014
I wonder, could they use fiber optic cable to safely channel the sunlight from a wide area and focus it at the central point? The cable could be reinforced with conduit, buried etc. Mirrors or lensatic collectors could channel more concentrated light through them, or just have a ton of optic cables. Seems like you could accumulate enough photons and such to be useful and avoid open air unshielded beams of energy that could harm people and animals. I wonder how many buildings could channel natural light to interior/lower level rooms via fiber optic cables with a roof top/upper level collector array. Just sayin'

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#48 Aug 22, 2014
Does it make any sense that millions die from disease carried by mosquitoes all to keep tree huggers happy. DDT could save countless lives and would not harm the enviroment when used in proper amounts . That is the beauty of the new term climate change. If it gets colder it is due to man and if it gets warmer it is due to man. Al Gore has the largest home in his State. What about his carbon footprint ?

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

#49 Aug 22, 2014
Naughtyrobot wrote:
I wonder, could they use fiber optic cable to safely channel the sunlight from a wide area and focus it at the central point? The cable could be reinforced with conduit, buried etc. Mirrors or lensatic collectors could channel more concentrated light through them, or just have a ton of optic cables. Seems like you could accumulate enough photons and such to be useful and avoid open air unshielded beams of energy that could harm people and animals. I wonder how many buildings could channel natural light to interior/lower level rooms via fiber optic cables with a roof top/upper level collector array. Just sayin'
I have no idea about all that NR but what an innovated way to keep Crows outta the Corn patch.

Level 8

Location hidden

#50 Aug 22, 2014
I don't care one way or the other, I just need the energy to power my army of Machines to take over the planet, muhahahaha. Oops, did I say that out loud?

“"*" Always Thinking "*"”

Level 8

Since: Nov 12

Hoosierville

#51 Aug 22, 2014
Naughtyrobot I'm sure your familiar with the fiber-optic commercial lights that are used for decoration and amusement if they were put to practical use what would be their collective
ability to promote electricity, communication, and other 'unforeseen' possibilities?
Why have they spread them all over this country my not made maximum use of them?
*=* The day is coming *=*

---Word Woman---

Since: Aug 14

Location hidden

#52 Aug 22, 2014
Bryan Fischer s Hair Gel wrote:
<quoted text>
It is all nonsense peddled by financially interested shills, picked up by media outlets eager not to alienate right wing readership, and then swallowed by rubes who don't know the first thing about anything but who resent any suggestion of a global problem requiring collective solutions.
Qualified scientists, the global re insurers, the various military and intelligence agencies are serious people. You are not. These crank denier sites are not serious. There is nowhere _near_ the same number of qualified scientists who are skeptical about human inputs into climate change. There are very few qualified scientists who are. That's why these denier websites have a history of including scientists' names who don't agree with the denier site, or who are high school teachers, or who work in other scientific disciplines.
Noting your racism is not playing the race card. My saying you're a bad person because of your race would be playing the race card. I have not done that.
Again, you made a stupid remark connecting (any) influx of immigrants to climate change. That is an idea a minimally educated person would have: The fact is those people, who just happen to most often in right wing minds have brown skin, have the same carbon footprint whether there in Central America or in the US. You were clearly displaying your racism. Any immigration has nothing to do with climate change.(There might be housing or water or health care or job implications, but that's all different.)
Fundie and tea baggrz nutcases are simply too uneducated, too ideological, too bigoted, too sloppy to deal with any reality which conflicts with their "beliefs."
BTW, your claims about solar versus other forms of energy, including your $2.5 million solar installation are risible. The problem is that you can't use a word like "risible" when discussing things with right wing mongoloids. Or "theory." Or "scientific consensus."
Funny...Al Gore seems to be a financially interested shill who doesn't see the need to practice what he preaches...And, I thought all you libs agreed that change has to begin LOCALLY...wouldn't our own country be a good place to start in terms of reducing the carbon footprint?!?
In addition, not supporting folks being over here ILLEGALLY doesn't make me a racist...I just don't think our country needs to be overrun by folks who have no regard for our laws & no respect for those who have gone through the proper process of migrating here & becoming an American citizen...

Let's just agree to disagree...

“"*" Always Thinking "*"”

Level 8

Since: Nov 12

Hoosierville

#53 Aug 22, 2014
not my - but

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

#54 Aug 22, 2014
Hoosier Hillbilly wrote:
Naughtyrobot I'm sure your familiar with the fiber-optic commercial lights that are used for decoration and amusement if they were put to practical use what would be their collective

ability to promote electricity, communication, and other 'unforeseen' possibilities?
Why have they spread them all over this country my not made maximum use of them?
*=* The day is coming *=*
Hey HH, we've been using fiber optics for tele-communications since the late 80s that I'm aware of, most of which are underground to protect it and its easier to install, cables as big as the average man's calf muscle with hundreds sometimes a couple thousand fiber optic strands inside. Very heavy and awkward to work with but burying it sure beats hanging it on a pole.

Fiber optics is also the only way to bend light that I'm aware of.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#55 Aug 22, 2014
SLY WEST wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey HH, we've been using fiber optics for tele-communications since the late 80s that I'm aware of, most of which are underground to protect it and its easier to install, cables as big as the average man's calf muscle with hundreds sometimes a couple thousand fiber optic strands inside. Very heavy and awkward to work with but burying it sure beats hanging it on a pole.
Fiber optics is also the only way to bend light that I'm aware of.
Don't forget about the basics...gravity, it can bend light..proven...just sayin'
Bryan Fischer s Hair Gel

Philadelphia, PA

#56 Aug 22, 2014
---Word Woman--- wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny...Al Gore....Let's just agree to disagree...
Al Gore is not climate change, and people who ignore data by referencing him are intellectually dishonest. Although that's being too kind.

Let's not agree to let uneducated, ideologically driven fundies and tee baggrz taint public policy with their witless brayings and Fox received whims.

There is no serious question about climate science. If something changes in the future to alter projections - such as massive volcanic eruptions - then at that time a complete re examination would be in order.

For now the serious parties - qualified scientists, the Pentagon, the CIA, the global re insurers have no illusions. Your silly fossil fuels funded denier websites don't match up to these authorities. It's disgusting that citizens can be ill educated, anti rational and stupid.
Bryan Fischer s Hair Gel

Philadelphia, PA

#57 Aug 22, 2014
---Word Woman--- wrote:
<quoted text>
In addition, not supporting folks being over here ILLEGALLY doesn't make me a racist....
Your mention of that issue as you did expressly marks you as a racist, because this thread wasn't about illegal immigration.

Your post on that point was out and out loopy - that illegal or other immigration would lead to more climate change, or something. That is a racist speaking, because it makes no sense whatsoever except as racist fear mongering.

_Again_, that is because those people exist and contribute to carbon emissions wherever they are located.

So when the extraneous point makes not the first bit of sense, and involves brown people, and it's a conservative posting...you can be sure that it's racism. Whether you are aware of or acknowledge your racism is entirely moot. You aren't even able to recognize how disingenuous your various "arguments" on the actual are, so you recognizing your racism is highly unlikely.

---Word Woman---

Location hidden

#58 Aug 22, 2014
<quoted text>
Al Gore is not climate change, and people who ignore data by referencing him are intellectually dishonest. Although that's being too kind.
Let's not agree to let uneducated, ideologically driven fundies and tee baggrz taint public policy with their witless brayings and Fox received whims.
There is no serious question about climate science. If something changes in the future to alter projections - such as massive volcanic eruptions - then at that time a complete re examination would be in order.
For now the serious parties - qualified scientists, the Pentagon, the CIA, the global re insurers have no illusions. Your silly fossil fuels funded denier websites don't match up to these authorities. It's disgusting that citizens can be ill educated, anti rational and stupid.
Let's just be clear...I have NO affiliation with the Tea Party...
I am also not uneducated, irrational (that's the word for "anti rational"), or stupid...I simply disagree with your garbage & that seems to get right up under your skin. Here's the great thing about this country we live in: I'm allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours...and, quite frankly, I'm grateful that I AM intelligent enough to do so, rather than being a part of the clueless masses, like yourself, who are still somehow able to trust & support Obama...

---Word Woman---

Location hidden

#59 Aug 22, 2014
<quoted text>
Your mention of that issue as you did expressly marks you as a racist, because this thread wasn't about illegal immigration.
Your post on that point was out and out loopy - that illegal or other immigration would lead to more climate change, or something. That is a racist speaking, because it makes no sense whatsoever except as racist fear mongering.
_Again_, that is because those people exist and contribute to carbon emissions wherever they are located.
So when the extraneous point makes not the first bit of sense, and involves brown people, and it's a conservative posting...you can be sure that it's racism. Whether you are aware of or acknowledge your racism is entirely moot. You aren't even able to recognize how disingenuous your various "arguments" on the actual are, so you recognizing your racism is highly unlikely.
Well, I'm terribly sorry that you weren't capable of comprehending my point...though, I can't say that I'm terribly surprised...lol ;)
You just keep on playing that race card...it's lame, but it's clearly the best ya got...lol
Bryan Fischer s Hair Gel

Philadelphia, PA

#60 Aug 22, 2014
---Word Woman--- wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's just be clear...I have NO affiliation with the Tea Party...
Except for mentally.

BTW, learn how to use an ellipsis properly, since you're educated.

Al Gore isn't climate change. You made a logically bizarre comment about immigrants as a part of climate change. You read denier sites (or at least look up their urls) and then repeat that there are "just as many" [sic] skeptical scientists (though you hilariously used "deniers" to describe them,) as there are scientists who realize that climate change is human mediated. You completely misrepresent the costs versus benefits of solar, while remaining blissfully unaware of the far, far greater government subsidies for nuclear.

This is what passes for "thinking" among the conservative stank and file.
Bryan Fischer s Hair Gel

Philadelphia, PA

#61 Aug 22, 2014
---Word Woman--- wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I'm terribly sorry that you weren't capable of comprehending my point...though, I can't say that I'm terribly surprised...lol ;)
You just keep on playing that race card...it's lame, but it's clearly the best ya got...lol
Your point made no sense whatsoever. Illegal immigration has nothing to do with climate change because THOSE PEOPLE STILL EXIST EVEN IF THEY'RE NOT IN THE US. And thus they contribute to carbon emissions regardless of where they are.

Is that too difficult for you to grasp?

Now, if you want to claim (lie) that you were making some point in needlessly bringing up a racially charged, disconnected issue in this discussion then you can explain (invent after the fact) what that point was.

---Word Woman---

Location hidden

#62 Aug 22, 2014
<quoted text>
Except for mentally.
BTW, learn how to use an ellipsis properly, since you're educated.
Al Gore isn't climate change. You made a logically bizarre comment about immigrants as a part of climate change. You read denier sites (or at least look up their urls) and then repeat that there are "just as many" [sic] skeptical scientists (though you hilariously used "deniers" to describe them,) as there are scientists who realize that climate change is human mediated. You completely misrepresent the costs versus benefits of solar, while remaining blissfully unaware of the far, far greater government subsidies for nuclear.
This is what passes for "thinking" among the conservative stank and file.
Al Gore isn't climate change?!?
I believe all of these links suggest otherwise...and he's certainly made a hell of a lot of money touting climate change....

http://www.google.com/search...

Now, Im done arguing with you...your bullshit tactics aren't going to work on me. You're no different than any other hateful, ignorant liberal who pitches a fit b/c someone disagrees with you...and, believe me, I've dealt with my share.
And, I'll use an ellipsis however the hell I choose to...this is Topix, dipwad...and, unlike you, we're not all here to write a diatribe with every post in some lame/failed attempt to demean others & prove how "superior" we are... I can use perfect grammar, spelling, & punctuation in my writing (and I do so when need be)...I just don't take Topix all that seriously...and, I take you even less seriously.
Size nein

Oak Park, MI

#64 Aug 22, 2014
---Word Woman--- wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, Im done arguing with you...your bullshit tactics aren't going to work on me....
Your brown shirt is in the Mail Aryan princess
Instigator

Charlestown, IN

#65 Aug 23, 2014
reebie wrote:
<quoted text>
I love it when a radical hasnt taken his meds yet..
Hi. Insta :)
Moderation
HIYA Reebie ....LOL, I just like to rattle Philly's cage to see if he's came up with any new insults. Answer: NOPE...pretty much the same old song and dance.

But I have to keep checking for curiosity's sake.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#66 Aug 23, 2014
In London they have a big solar powered clock and they don't get enough sun to run it on solar power : ) Interesting how the left is divided on wind and solar power. The wind turbines kill lots of birds and now the solar is killing any birds that fly into the focus point. A few years back it was the population explosion that was going to starve us to death. This is just something to replace Communism. The left grabbed on to global warming when the soviet union fell. All about government control and power

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 1 min Alex Nicole 146,582
Alphabetical ways to die (Jul '11) 2 min greymouser 10,905
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min Blitzking 205,480
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 12 min wichita-rick 19,898
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 14 min Spotted Girl 33,373
News Headstone of Civil War soldier to be fixed afte... 16 min greymouser 40
2words into 2new words (May '12) 17 min Sharlene45 3,929
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 51 min DMan 197,841
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr Deer Whisperer 60,011
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 5 hr Northbound 8,868
More from around the web