Why Birds Are Igniting in Midair Over California

Aug 19, 2014 Full story: HOT 107.9 105

A cutting-edge solar technology in California's Mojave Desert may have a bit too much cut.

Read more
Latter Day Taints

Philadelphia, PA

#25 Aug 21, 2014
justaguess wrote:
Solar farms fryin' our feathered friends, wind farms taking out nocturnal pest controlling mammals..looks as if alternate energy sources are much like an oil spill in the sky.
No, it's not a joke when you're a cretin tying, in a monumentally stupid way, to denigrate alternative energy.

It's actually your world view.
Latter Day Taints

Philadelphia, PA

#26 Aug 21, 2014
---Word Woman--- wrote:
<quoted text>
The designs not only need to be improved, but cost effective. How many folks do you know who can afford solar panels?!? I am all for being a good steward for the environment...but I must admit, much of it seems like a money racket...for example: climate change.
And, the same folks who whine & complain about "reducing our carbon footprint" are the same ones who support allowing millions of illegals to cross our borders & remain here...more people=increase in carbon footprint...
Funny, I thought you were mocking solar. Oh wait, you were.

People who deny climate change simply do not know anything, period. Global reinsurers, qualified scientists, the Pentagon and intelligence agencies have known about the issue for decades now. These are serious people who get funded whether there's a climate change issue or not. Deniers are ignoramuses.

1. It's not clear that a person's carbon footprint will be greater just because they move from South America to the US. In fact, given the more temperate climate it might actually decrease...if their economic level stays constant at least for awhile. You're confused.

2. Nuclear would not exist without a massive, unprecedented government subsidy (assumption of the liability for any nuclear accident across the board.) Oil and coal get big subsidies.

So people who simply say, without looking at the context, that renewables are too expensive are engaging in a lie. In the free market it would be nuclear that would be hugely expensive (it would not exist at all.) And solar would be a lot cheaper with subsidies coming anywhere near the sort that nuclear, in particular, gets.

A turnkey, home solar system is expensive now - tens of thousands. Even with the partial subsidies you can now get, the payback period can be around six to eight years in sunny parts of the country, because the homeowner can sell electricity back to the grid. This payback period makes good economic sense.

But of course, "solar" need not mean a whole turnkey system. It could mean something as simple as a crude system to help directly heat water for bathing or to help warm the home.

Since: Aug 14

Location hidden

#27 Aug 21, 2014
First of all, there are just as many, if not more, scientists who deny the climate change theory...in fact, the owner of the Weather Channel denies that it's an issue.
Secondly, I didn't suggest that a person's carbon footprint is greater as a result of where (s)he comes from...but each additional person contributes to the carbon footprint (i.e. more trash, more cars being driven, etc)
And, lastly...I do know someone who has $2.5 million worth of solar panels...the tax write-off was worth it to him, but the payback is meager...

Location hidden

#28 Aug 21, 2014
Oh, and btw...the guy with the solar panels is a Republican...

You might also want to read this:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp
Instigator

Canisteo, NY

#29 Aug 22, 2014
Latter Day Taints wrote:
<quoted text>
It functions violently, as the post made clear.
But we're used to that sort of thing from ignorant, bigoted racists doing their Kenya-Birther thing.
BTW, you didn't address the far greater environmental drawbacks of non renewables, nor their far greater government subsidies.
Now that just hurts..... I theoretically granted libtards the gift of assisted flight, and THIS is thanks I get? Hateful and untrue Insults?

Tsk....Tsk.
Bryan Fischer s Hair Gel

Philadelphia, PA

#30 Aug 22, 2014
---Word Woman--- wrote:
First of all, there are just as many, if not more, scientists who deny the climate change theory....Secondly, I didn't suggest that a person's carbon footprint is greater as a result of where (s)he comes from...but each additional person contributes to the carbon footprint (i.e. more trash, more cars being driven, etc)
And, lastly...I do know someone who has $2.5 million worth of solar panels...the tax write-off was worth it to him, but the payback is meager...
No, there are not "as many" scientists who deny climate change. Unless by "scientist" you mean fundamentalist, high school geology teachers and so forth. You have flat out lied. Your ignorance is massive. And you didn't address the Pentagon, the CIA and the global re insurers on this issue. I don't know what is wrong with ignorant right wingers, but it's disgusting the lengths they will go to promulgate idiocy for ideological reasons.

You linked climate change and undocumented people entering the US - you have a messed up notion of causality. Those people exist and have the same carbon effects (give or take, as I explained,) whether they're in the US or in another country. Your linkage was crazy, and assumedly racist based, because when the argument put forth make no sense you need to look at the underlying emotional reason for making that argument.

Your solar panel anecdote doesn't really address any of my points. And you don't name the place with all these panels. But _even if_ only the subsidies made a particular solar installation worthwhile that is _still_ the case with virtually all nuclear in the US. So apply your same standards to that.
The idea is that as solar and wind are adopted further, by subsidies that other forms of energy get or by other means, then economies of scale kick in and it all gets cheaper.

But none of this can make sense to some nitwit who parrots this idea that there are just "as many" scientists who deny climate change as there are who understand the mechanism. I also note you used the word "deny" in categorizing these skeptics. That is hilarious. You're out of depth, unable to follow any of this. The stupidity is repellent.
Bryan Fischer s Hair Gel

Philadelphia, PA

#31 Aug 22, 2014
Instigator wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that just hurts..... I theoretically granted libtards the gift of assisted flight, and THIS is thanks I get? Hateful and untrue Insults?
Tsk....Tsk.
People who don't know what a "theory" is, or who think there's just "as many" (qualified) skeptics around climate change, or who "believe" the earth is under 10000 years old, are not just stupid. They have a kind of mental illness.

And these same people tend overwhelmingly to be demonstrable bigots. It's all part of the same right wing, anti rational stew.

Location hidden

#32 Aug 22, 2014
Bryan Fischer s Hair Gel wrote:
<quoted text>
No, there are not "as many" scientists who deny climate change. Unless by "scientist" you mean fundamentalist, high school geology teachers and so forth. You have flat out lied. Your ignorance is massive. And you didn't address the Pentagon, the CIA and the global re insurers on this issue. I don't know what is wrong with ignorant right wingers, but it's disgusting the lengths they will go to promulgate idiocy for ideological reasons.
You linked climate change and undocumented people entering the US - you have a messed up notion of causality. Those people exist and have the same carbon effects (give or take, as I explained,) whether they're in the US or in another country. Your linkage was crazy, and assumedly racist based, because when the argument put forth make no sense you need to look at the underlying emotional reason for making that argument.
Your solar panel anecdote doesn't really address any of my points. And you don't name the place with all these panels. But _even if_ only the subsidies made a particular solar installation worthwhile that is _still_ the case with virtually all nuclear in the US. So apply your same standards to that.
The idea is that as solar and wind are adopted further, by subsidies that other forms of energy get or by other means, then economies of scale kick in and it all gets cheaper.
But none of this can make sense to some nitwit who parrots this idea that there are just "as many" scientists who deny climate change as there are who understand the mechanism. I also note you used the word "deny" in categorizing these skeptics. That is hilarious. You're out of depth, unable to follow any of this. The stupidity is repellnt.
Here ya go:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-24207...

There are lots of articles...feel free do some research on your own........OR, just keep talking in circles, namecalling those who don't agree with you, & playing the race card...you're a liberal...that's what "you people" do best...lol

Location hidden

#33 Aug 22, 2014

“*=* Always Thinking *=*”

Level 8

Since: Nov 12

Greensburg, IN

#34 Aug 22, 2014
Supposedly this place can control the weather also especially when it burns wholes thru the O-Zone.
I've also heard it can be used as a defense weapon same as the sound dishes in Alaska.
HAARP ... http://www.alaska.net/~logjam/HAARP.html
Claire

Absecon, NJ

#35 Aug 22, 2014
Geez louise Philly_PA, maybe you should consider some counseling for that arrogant compulsion you exhibit for confrontation.
Have an awesome day pal.

“*=* Always Thinking *=*”

Level 8

Since: Nov 12

Greensburg, IN

#36 Aug 22, 2014
More on Heat & Sound & Wind

We don’t blame you. We were just as confused when we read a report that the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service wants a toll of dead birds recorded for a full year over parts of southern California’s Mojave Desert. That’s where a massive solar plant, BrightSource Energy, has encountered toasted, roasted, fried, stewed, baked and cremated birds that have flown through the plant’s sun rays, have ignited in mid-air, and have puffed into smoke trails called “streamers” at a rate estimated to be about one bird every two minutes. But, who’s counting?

Apparently two groups, the Center for Biological Diversity and the Audubon Society, are keeping track of the burning birds, estimated by BrightSource to be from 1000 per year to the CBD’s count of 28,000. An official of the Audubon Society’s renewable energy platform calls the bird kills “alarming” and adds that “there needs to be some caution.” Really?

We agree. But we hark back to the days when the USFWS banned lead shot from waterfowl hunters and, more recently, California environmental groups who now want all lead ammo banned for fear that raptors and some other carrion-eating species might pick up lead poisoning from gut piles of dead deer and other game.

We’re fans of solar energy and can’t wait for the day when retractable car-top sun roofs are actually solar panels designed to keep battery powered cars from taking a beating but keep on ticking. Just as wind farms help provide electrical energy despite murdering our iconic national bird by the dozens on their annual migration routes, there are some areas of the country famous for nothing except wind and plenty of it. Palm Springs, CA and southern Wyoming come immediately to mind.

But while songbirds don’t get the same fame as eagles, doves, ducks, geese and other flying fowl, frying them mid-flight does seem a bit drastic.

http://www.gunproplus.com/lead-cats/

The BrightSource plant, located in the Mojave Desert at the Ivanpah Dry Lake site is a partnership of three companies, BrightSource Energy, NRG Solar of Carlsbad, CA and Google Green. Yeah, that Google, the one who won’t take guns or ammo ads because they kill people. Birds, they’re expendable.

http://www.gunproplus.com/lead-cats/
Level 7

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#37 Aug 22, 2014
I say zap. ll all the wildlife and critters...test away on mice...
I need to b comfy and beautiful...
So big brother can sneak up on me while. Im flat ironing my dogs hair
Level 7

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#38 Aug 22, 2014
Instigator wrote:
<quoted text>
Tsk....Tsk.
I love it when a radical hasnt taken his meds yet..
Hi. Insta :)
Moderation
Moose

Star, ID

#39 Aug 22, 2014
Bryan Fischer s Hair Gel wrote:
<quoted text>But none of this can make sense to some nitwit who parrots this idea that there are just "as many" scientists who deny climate change as there are who understand the mechanism. I also note you used the word "deny" in categorizing these skeptics. That is hilarious. You're out of depth, unable to follow any of this. The stupidity is repellent.
Me thinks the philly phagg should reinsert it's butt plug.
The methane it's spewing is warming this world faster than if the earth was falling into the sun.
Bryan Fischer s Hair Gel

Philadelphia, PA

#40 Aug 22, 2014
---Word Woman--- wrote:
<quoted text>
Here ya go:
It is all nonsense peddled by financially interested shills, picked up by media outlets eager not to alienate right wing readership, and then swallowed by rubes who don't know the first thing about anything but who resent any suggestion of a global problem requiring collective solutions.

Qualified scientists, the global re insurers, the various military and intelligence agencies are serious people. You are not. These crank denier sites are not serious. There is nowhere _near_ the same number of qualified scientists who are skeptical about human inputs into climate change. There are very few qualified scientists who are. That's why these denier websites have a history of including scientists' names who don't agree with the denier site, or who are high school teachers, or who work in other scientific disciplines.

Noting your racism is not playing the race card. My saying you're a bad person because of your race would be playing the race card. I have not done that.

Again, you made a stupid remark connecting (any) influx of immigrants to climate change. That is an idea a minimally educated person would have: The fact is those people, who just happen to most often in right wing minds have brown skin, have the same carbon footprint whether there in Central America or in the US. You were clearly displaying your racism. Any immigration has nothing to do with climate change.(There might be housing or water or health care or job implications, but that's all different.)

Fundie and tea baggrz nutcases are simply too uneducated, too ideological, too bigoted, too sloppy to deal with any reality which conflicts with their "beliefs."

BTW, your claims about solar versus other forms of energy, including your $2.5 million solar installation are risible. The problem is that you can't use a word like "risible" when discussing things with right wing mongoloids. Or "theory." Or "scientific consensus."

“Fishin" in the Moonlight”

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

.......¿.......

#41 Aug 22, 2014
Some burnt out bird brain probably designed it.
Bryan Fischer s Hair Gel

Philadelphia, PA

#42 Aug 22, 2014
Claire wrote:
Geez louise Philly_PA, maybe you should consider some counseling for that arrogant compulsion you exhibit for confrontation.
Have an awesome day pal.
That's the appropriate way to address uneducated, obstinate, ideological purveyors of known lies.

You should get some help to assist you in recognizing and dealing with reality, facts, information.

Have a great day in school, pal. Sixth grade science class would be about right.
Bryan Fischer s Hair Gel

Philadelphia, PA

#43 Aug 22, 2014
Moose wrote:
<quoted text>
Me thinks
You should keep your sexual obsessions to yourself when you're not in a chatroom for down low homosexuals.
Bryan Fischer s Hair Gel

Philadelphia, PA

#45 Aug 22, 2014
By the way, if you right wingers are so "offended" by invective then why did I read the word, "libtard," to take one example?

Because you're hypocrites. You just don't like being spoken to the way you speak of and to minorities.

Now, if you don't want to be hypocrites then I expect you will go whine about invective to Hannity, Coulter, Rush and loofa guy. Then they can all stop their nasty namecalling which so upsets you delicate flowers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 1 min DILF 2,892
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 2 min DILF 9,645
OFFBEAT.keepAword.DropAword.2011edition (Oct '11) 2 min DILF 18,476
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 3 min DILF 31,542
News Councils creating 'bizarre new criminal offences' 4 min Abrahamanic Relig... 2
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 4 min Jennifer Renee 10,254
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 4 min DILF 28,162
Word Association (Jun '10) 6 min DILF 26,964
Poll Can single Men be friends with Married Women? (Jun '12) 11 min Sublime1 194
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 12 min Alias-Trish-MOI -... 159,886
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 12 min Emerald 39,989
Goats Milk with Princess (Jan '10) 55 min Hitesrunprincess 46,447
More from around the web