18-year-old sues Mom, Dad for college...

18-year-old sues Mom, Dad for college money

There are 142 comments on the Country 92.5 FM story from Mar 4, 2014, titled 18-year-old sues Mom, Dad for college money. In it, Country 92.5 FM reports that:

A New Jersey 18-year-old who's been living with her best friend's family is suing her parents for tuition, both for her private high school and her future college.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Country 92.5 FM.

“It's a secret”

Level 8

Since: Sep 12

Or maybe I just forgot!!

#22 Mar 4, 2014
She proves her parent's point....too rebellious to do what her parents said....undisciplined....wow!! !!

“WHERE BORN AN A-HOLE OR DID ”

Since: Mar 14

YOU WORK AT IT YOUR WHOLE LIFE

#23 Mar 4, 2014
Stupid girl. Your parents are not obligated to pay your college tuition. Nor is anyone forcing you to attend a private school.

Spotted Girl

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#24 Mar 5, 2014
First of all, emancipation doesn't apply here. She is legal majority, and nobody is obligated to be supported after 18, though divorce lawyers like to try to pull this.

Next, there is more to the story. It seems that she wants to practice some lifestyle her parents don't approve of according to one of my personal sources. My interpretation was that she wanted to shack up with some boy her parents didn't approve of while staying under their roof. They didn't throw her out. They presented her with a choice, and it seems she made the wrong one and wants to blame her parents.

Still, it sounds like we don't have the whole story, and it is a case of chicken vs. egg and not really knowing what started first.

Spotted Girl

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#25 Mar 5, 2014
FTW Forever wrote:
Stupid girl. Your parents are not obligated to pay your college tuition. Nor is anyone forcing you to attend a private school.
Sadly, it seems she has developed the opportunism that society today teaches.

#26 Mar 5, 2014
Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly, it seems she has developed the opportunism that society today teaches.
You know if it was some messed up situation with a under 18 who was not being properly taken care of and needed money to live I'd say alright. Even if her parents were bad people towards her, the premise of tuition is BS. People are being taught to feel entitled.

#27 Mar 5, 2014
Spotted Girl wrote:
First of all, emancipation doesn't apply here. She is legal majority, and nobody is obligated to be supported after 18, though divorce lawyers like to try to pull this.
Next, there is more to the story. It seems that she wants to practice some lifestyle her parents don't approve of according to one of my personal sources. My interpretation was that she wanted to shack up with some boy her parents didn't approve of while staying under their roof. They didn't throw her out. They presented her with a choice, and it seems she made the wrong one and wants to blame her parents.
Still, it sounds like we don't have the whole story, and it is a case of chicken vs. egg and not really knowing what started first.
It said they want her back she doesn't want to go back. I agree with ya'. It sounds like she wants her cake and eat it too. Maybe presumptuous, but I'm pretty sure the article would mention abuse or mistreatment if that was the case. Either way private school and college tuition is a BS demand.
I hated some of my parents rules as I imagine you did too. The real world taught me that those rules weren't Sh....

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#28 Mar 5, 2014
Old Sam wrote:
....i'd love to sit on this jury.........
Allow cameras into this particular court case and sell it pay per view or sell it to the History or ESPN channels.

We get a reality show.
The plaintiff gets attention.
The defendants get attention.
The Cable Company gets a cut of the money.
NJ gets a cut of the money.
NJ gives a tax break for a year.

But I'm just fantasizing now.
Like NJ would give a tax break ever.
There's governor legal defense fees that need to be paid from somewhere.

“Hippie Single DAD, vet, Honest”

Level 6

Since: Apr 11

Steamboat Sprgs Colorado

#29 Mar 5, 2014
tallyho wrote:
SHE SAID:
Rachel Canning says her parents kicked her out of the house; she's seeking a court ruling holding that she's not emancipated
THE FINE PRINT:
It may be possible for a child to petition a court for emancipation to free the minor child from the control of parents and allow the minor to live on his/her own or under the control of others. It usually applies to adolescents who leave the parents' household by agreement or demand.
fine print..........agreement or demand.
demand.......... her parents kicked her out
Thanks.
I did not go back & read the fine print on this one.
I was emancipated at 16 ,I still have most of the paper work, it is rather brief & doesn't leave much lee way for either side actually.
I do know it says I DON'T owe them a dime & THEY DON'T owe me a dime.
It was mostly done then to make the juvenile be able to automatically tried as an adult ,no matter the charge.now I can imagine it is more to keep someone from suing the parents for the kids actions. Rick

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#30 Mar 5, 2014
for the curbside lawyers ....

depends on where you live...

New Jersey is among a minority of states that require divorced or separated parents to fund their childrenís higher education expenses.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#31 Mar 5, 2014
INFO:
Parental liability is a legal doctrine that holds parents civilly liable for the torts and crimes of their children. It is used to refer to a parent's obligation to pay for damage done by negligent, intentional, or criminal acts of that parent's child. In most states, parents are responsible for all malicious or willful property damage done by their children. Parental liability usually ends when the child reaches the age of majority.

#32 Mar 5, 2014
tallyho wrote:
for the curbside lawyers ....
depends on where you live...
New Jersey is among a minority of states that require divorced or separated parents to fund their childrenís higher education expenses.
I've heard that before. Why only divorced parents and under what pretext is the law. If your 18 and considered an adult how is that proper? Seems wrong in all logic. That's pretty screwed up.

#33 Mar 5, 2014
tallyho wrote:
INFO:
Parental liability is a legal doctrine that holds parents civilly liable for the torts and crimes of their children. It is used to refer to a parent's obligation to pay for damage done by negligent, intentional, or criminal acts of that parent's child. In most states, parents are responsible for all malicious or willful property damage done by their children. Parental liability usually ends when the child reaches the age of majority.
But isn't the age of majority 18 except in 3 or 4 southern states?

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#34 Mar 5, 2014
INFO:
Parental immunity doctrine refers to a principle that children cannot sue their parents, and that parents cannot sue their children, for tort claims. The doctrine is based upon the public policy of maintaining family tranquility and avoiding the fear of undermining a parentís control and authority over his or her children. This doctrine was created by American courts and appeared first in the case HEWLETT v. GEORGE, 68 Miss. 703 (Miss. 1891) where the court held that so long as the parent is under obligation to care for, guide and control, and the child is under reciprocal obligation to aid and comfort and obey, no action for malicious prosecution can be maintained.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#35 Mar 5, 2014
FTW Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I've heard that before. Why only divorced parents and under what pretext is the law. If your 18 and considered an adult how is that proper? Seems wrong in all logic. That's pretty screwed up.
be descent I'll reply to the best of my knowledge ...I have to use my outdated laws books a gift of NY State..

1st] States have the right to self rule .... so what that state decides is in the best welfare of the masses of that State

if I was on the Banc she lost before she started ...Parents said they wanted her home and she refused , therefore she emancipated herself

she is 18 but in some states 16 is also old enough for emancipation

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#36 Mar 5, 2014
states try to have a unicode EXAMPLE speed limits

16 you can quit school... but not marry or vote drink etc etc ... without parents consent [marry]

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#37 Mar 5, 2014
now I do correct , but blanket statement..like spotted girl

in her area she could be right , but see what I mean

she made a blanket statement ...

#38 Mar 5, 2014
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
be descent I'll reply to the best of my knowledge ...I have to use my outdated laws books a gift of NY State..
1st] States have the right to self rule .... so what that state decides is in the best welfare of the masses of that State
if I was on the Banc she lost before she started ...Parents said they wanted her home and she refused , therefore she emancipated herself
she is 18 but in some states 16 is also old enough for emancipation
My questions are genuine. Not being an ass towards ya'
I get the self rule thing. I just don't get how the parents can be held responsible for another free adult. That is my question. Seems the law could be struck down on other grounds.
I know about the emancipation, but isn't 18 the age of majority except in a few states? If you know, not asking you to do my research.
Really what I'm wondering is why the law only says divorced or separated parents? I always heard it the way you said it, implying married parents are not responsible.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#39 Mar 5, 2014
last statement save the effort on iconing do you think you are hurting or making yourself look foolish ..see depends on which side of the fence you stand

#40 Mar 5, 2014
tallyho wrote:
states try to have a unicode EXAMPLE speed limits
16 you can quit school... but not marry or vote drink etc etc ... without parents consent [marry]
Actually isn't it legal to marry at 14 in NY with both a judge and parents consent?

#41 Mar 5, 2014
tallyho wrote:
last statement save the effort on iconing do you think you are hurting or making yourself look foolish ..see depends on which side of the fence you stand
If you're blaming me for the icons. It's not me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 min wichita-rick 222,055
True False Game (Jun '11) 2 min Thanks 15,292
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 3 min Beverly 5,445
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 4 min Beth 76,825
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 6 min Beverly 17,289
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 9 min Beverly 25,224
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 38 min Bovenzi13 6,803
Cyber Friendships real or not? (Nov '11) 1 hr harrypaul1 1,253
More from around the web