The 32-year-old's unselfishness took ...

The 32-year-old's unselfishness took some neighbors by surprise.

There are 157 comments on the 104.7 WTUE story from Jan 8, 2014, titled The 32-year-old's unselfishness took some neighbors by surprise.. In it, 104.7 WTUE reports that:

A Michigan man with a snowblower is being hailed as a hero by his neighbors after he cleared their driveways and walkways in subzero temperatures, unprompted and for free.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 104.7 WTUE.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#147 Jan 10, 2014
Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Not bad. Yours?
Eh.... Slow work day. Been goofing around with a couple of Raspberry-Pi's I got in the mail.

Spotted Girl

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#148 Jan 10, 2014
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text>Eh.... Slow work day. Been goofing around with a couple of Raspberry-Pi's I got in the mail.
ARM-based, I see. I heard about those a few years back, and I was surprised that Acorn is still around. I remember back in the 80's when Western Auto had advertised some personal computers that were very cheap in comparison ($50) to what was on the market (like $1200 for a TI,$800 for a PC, etc.). And I had forgotten all about those. And now, they are even more powerful and a lot smaller. Oh, even Intel just put out a computer on a chip. I think the name is Edison, I think. So it won't be surprising to see a lot of new toys for kids soon with a dual core CPU inside.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#149 Jan 10, 2014
Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
ARM-based, I see. I heard about those a few years back, and I was surprised that Acorn is still around. I remember back in the 80's when Western Auto had advertised some personal computers that were very cheap in comparison ($50) to what was on the market (like $1200 for a TI,$800 for a PC, etc.). And I had forgotten all about those. And now, they are even more powerful and a lot smaller. Oh, even Intel just put out a computer on a chip. I think the name is Edison, I think. So it won't be surprising to see a lot of new toys for kids soon with a dual core CPU inside.
Yeah I just saw those Intel based ones after I ordered the Pi's. They're pretty neat. For $35 you can't go wrong. Considering it's smaller than a pack of cig's and more powerful than my first three computers, can't go wrong. I want to replace the computer in a beat-up car with one just to say I did it and say the car runs on linux. I've got some old lcd dvd player screens, that I want to put in the car so it will give read out of what the car is doing as I'm driving. The other one just to play around with. Probably just wind up using it as a media player when I get bored with it. They surf the web pretty well. You're a computer "geek", sure you got abunch of usb keyboards and crap lying around. It's pocket change for a neat little toy.

Spotted Girl

Level 8

Spotted World

#150 Jan 10, 2014
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah I just saw those Intel based ones after I ordered the Pi's. They're pretty neat. For $35 you can't go wrong. Considering it's smaller than a pack of cig's and more powerful than my first three computers, can't go wrong. I want to replace the computer in a beat-up car with one just to say I did it and say the car runs on linux. I've got some old lcd dvd player screens, that I want to put in the car so it will give read out of what the car is doing as I'm driving. The other one just to play around with. Probably just wind up using it as a media player when I get bored with it. They surf the web pretty well. You're a computer "geek", sure you got abunch of USB keyboards and crap lying around. It's pocket change for a neat little toy.
Yes, they are wild. I heard about the Raspberry Pi's the other year or whenever. Not sure if you heard of ReactOS. That is an open source version of Windows (like Linux is to Unix). It is long from being even a good beta. But they've wanted to port it to ARM so the Pi (and even some phones) could run it.

Oh, I read somewhere about a very expensive co-processor. Originally, they wanted to make a video card. Imagine 64 or more cores. But somewhere along the line, they lost interest in developing a video card. So it is now used for desktop supercomputing. I think it is called the Xeon Phi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_MIC

33 petaflops! Wow!

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#151 Jan 10, 2014
Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they are wild. I heard about the Raspberry Pi's the other year or whenever. Not sure if you heard of ReactOS. That is an open source version of Windows (like Linux is to Unix). It is long from being even a good beta. But they've wanted to port it to ARM so the Pi (and even some phones) could run it.
Oh, I read somewhere about a very expensive co-processor. Originally, they wanted to make a video card. Imagine 64 or more cores. But somewhere along the line, they lost interest in developing a video card. So it is now used for desktop supercomputing. I think it is called the Xeon Phi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_MIC
33 petaflops! Wow!
Xeon Phi is supposed to have 50 cores doesn't it? Isn't each core based off of the old pentiums or something to that effect.
I've got the alpha ReactOS on a disk. I don't really give a rats-ass about it though. Not being rude but I like linux and I don't see ReactOS going anywhere special for quite some time. Keep in mind you're probably leaps and bounds ahead of me on this subject.
But yeah, you were saying you're kinda surprised the Pi's are still around. I was just talking to a buddy who said something similar. I think if they were a U.S. company it would have sunk. It being U.K. I think helped the project. Seems the U.K. is more receptive ( for lakc of a better word) to programing and hardware innovation than the U.S. is.

Spotted Girl

Level 8

Spotted World

#152 Jan 10, 2014
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text>Xeon Phi is supposed to have 50 cores doesn't it? Isn't each core based off of the old pentiums or something to that effect.
I've got the alpha ReactOS on a disk. I don't really give a rats-ass about it though. Not being rude but I like linux and I don't see ReactOS going anywhere special for quite some time. Keep in mind you're probably leaps and bounds ahead of me on this subject.
But yeah, you were saying you're kinda surprised the Pi's are still around. I was just talking to a buddy who said something similar. I think if they were a U.S. company it would have sunk. It being U.K. I think helped the project. Seems the U.K. is more receptive ( for lack of a better word) to programming and hardware innovation than the U.S. is.
I thought maybe the cheaper of the two had some number around 50. The 70+ is the other version. From what I read, they are more like 512 bit cores. That fits with the original purpose (use as shader cores for graphics).

I wish more would support ReactOS, since its been around for 12-15 years and has been getting nowhere fast. ReactOS is actually based in Germany and has an office in Russia. But yes, Europe seems to be better for that sort of thing. But they are a foundation rather than a "company." I feel that part of the reason it is so little cooperation in the US is because it is based out of Europe. There are only a few of us willing to put up with them. They are good people, but sometimes the rules and stuff that they impose on such projects makes it hard to get involved. They got a boost the other year when Google chose them for Summer of Code. Google paid college students to work on ROS. But, they only sponsored 6-7 for a couple of months, and with mixed results. I think one went AWOL, and the task was too big in a couple of cases. But they did get new network code, some sound mixer improvements, and a suite of test tools. ROS is to the point now where certain Windows files will work with it, and vice-versa. So with that and the test tools, they seem to be gaining some momentum.

No, I am surprised Acorn is still around (not the Pi's). ARM stands for Acorn RISC Machine, and Raspberry Pi is ARM-based. The Pi's are related to the old Acorn machines. So seeing Pi, I was surprised that the company that offered those dirt cheap computers in the 80's was still around. Most of the other 80's computer companies with non-PC platforms are gone. TI, Atari, Commodore, etc. Oh, you are saying the Pi's come out of the UK. I didn't know that, but makes sense.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#155 Jan 11, 2014
Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought maybe the cheaper of the two had some number around 50. The 70+ is the other version. From what I read, they are more like 512 bit cores. That fits with the original purpose (use as shader cores for graphics).
I wish more would support ReactOS, since its been around for 12-15 years and has been getting nowhere fast. ReactOS is actually based in Germany and has an office in Russia. But yes, Europe seems to be better for that sort of thing. But they are a foundation rather than a "company." I feel that part of the reason it is so little cooperation in the US is because it is based out of Europe. There are only a few of us willing to put up with them. They are good people, but sometimes the rules and stuff that they impose on such projects makes it hard to get involved. They got a boost the other year when Google chose them for Summer of Code. Google paid college students to work on ROS. But, they only sponsored 6-7 for a couple of months, and with mixed results. I think one went AWOL, and the task was too big in a couple of cases. But they did get new network code, some sound mixer improvements, and a suite of test tools. ROS is to the point now where certain Windows files will work with it, and vice-versa. So with that and the test tools, they seem to be gaining some momentum.
No, I am surprised Acorn is still around (not the Pi's). ARM stands for Acorn RISC Machine, and Raspberry Pi is ARM-based. The Pi's are related to the old Acorn machines. So seeing Pi, I was surprised that the company that offered those dirt cheap computers in the 80's was still around. Most of the other 80's computer companies with non-PC platforms are gone. TI, Atari, Commodore, etc. Oh, you are saying the Pi's come out of the UK. I didn't know that, but makes sense.
Huh... I haven't payed to much attention to Xeon-Phi project really. Know of it, but just superficial knowledge on it.
I've played around with the ReactOS kernel but not much. Got bored and out of my comfort zone I guess.On top of what you stated. I think one of the hurdles with development on it is the open source community itself. I get the feeling that a lot of people see that it is Windows NT based and scoff at it. I think a lot look down the moment they see anything Windows. Open sourcer's don't want a challenge to their beloved Unix/Linux or just don't see much reason to stray away from it. They rather improve and develop on the Linux kernel because it is so well ingrained and established. I'm kinda in that boat to a degree. I don't think Google's attachment helped win these people over either. Though I would like to see ReactOS developed more these days just to upset the whole Android thing which I really hate and find annoying
I misread you about the ARM thing (tired). The whole Rasberry-Pi thing has a cool mission purpose I think. The idea s that these days kids aren't growing up to be good programmers because of the absence of systems like Spectrum, Amiga, Commodore, etc. That too many are just glorified web developers. So they built a cheap computer to teach the basics and can be experimented on without to much risk of harming it permanently and if they do fry it, it is only $25-$40 bucks you lost.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#156 Jan 11, 2014
Hey you might find it interesting that last night I got an old LG phone with a full key-pad rigged ( with a little help of the soldering iron) to work with one of them. I might just turn use it with that to have the smallest PC that is still functional. A hand held keyboard, a tower the size of a pack of Camels and 7in screen from a broken DVD player. Kinda cute! I just have to find a way now to use an old 30 gig I-pod to serve as the hard drive instead of just using SD cards. Oh and make a circuit to regulate the power off the lithium battery and charge it. That is where I'm probably going to fry one.

axxx

“here for fun”

Level 5

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#157 Jan 11, 2014
Getting back on subject last night u helped out my neighbor she had to many beer and didn't want her to waste them so I helped her drink them

Spotted Girl

Level 8

Spotted World

#158 Jan 11, 2014
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text>Huh... I haven't payed to much attention to Xeon-Phi project really. Know of it, but just superficial knowledge on it.
I've played around with the ReactOS kernel but not much. Got bored and out of my comfort zone I guess.On top of what you stated. I think one of the hurdles with development on it is the open source community itself. I get the feeling that a lot of people see that it is Windows NT based and scoff at it. I think a lot look down the moment they see anything Windows. Open sourcer's don't want a challenge to their beloved Unix/Linux or just don't see much reason to stray away from it. They rather improve and develop on the Linux kernel because it is so well ingrained and established. I'm kinda in that boat to a degree. I don't think Google's attachment helped win these people over either. Though I would like to see ReactOS developed more these days just to upset the whole Android thing which I really hate and find annoying
I misread you about the ARM thing (tired). The whole Rasberry-Pi thing has a cool mission purpose I think. The idea s that these days kids aren't growing up to be good programmers because of the absence of systems like Spectrum, Amiga, Commodore, etc. That too many are just glorified web developers. So they built a cheap computer to teach the basics and can be experimented on without to much risk of harming it permanently and if they do fry it, it is only $25-$40 bucks you lost.
When ReactOS says "Windows NT," they mean the overall family, not the version. Windows 2000, XP, 2003, 2008, Vista, 7, and 8 are all still NT-based. 95, 98, and ME came from DOS and Windows 3.1. Windows 95 was fairly stable, and while 98 fixed some things, it broke other things (more after adding the patches), and very few liked the Millennial Edition. I tried windows 2000, and in comparison to 98, it was much more stable, and performed better. BSODs were rare.

ROS is open source too, and it takes explanation to get people to know that open source doesn't always mean Linux. There is Minuet and Kolibrios, but you might as well be using Windows 3.1 under DOS. They are light and fast, but don't do much, but might be enough to use to repair another OS and play a few custom modified games, like a version of Doom (my guess is that they ported the game engine, but one would have to supply the other files from the PC version).

Google wasn't "attached" to ROS, but they did sponsor some interns to help. One was already a developer. Since then, Google hasn't chosen ROS for any other of their SoC events. But I researched more on your feelings about Google, and I didn't know they were so evil. Luckily, judges have been going on the side of the people in the suits against Google, but there is no telling how much longer. Why don't they get it? You don't hack into my email without a warrant, and you shouldn't be in my yard with cameras uninvited.

Yes, the Pi machines are great for a lot of things, even learning. There are hardware building kits too. For instance, some people take a PC or ARM machine, use some of the Arduino kit parts to make their own peripherals. They might attach a bunch of old floppy drives and use them as music instruments. Or, the Arduino could be used alone. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube about this sort of thing.

Ghostbusters

Super Mario Brothers theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Spotted Girl

Level 8

Spotted World

#159 Jan 11, 2014
FTW Yall wrote:
Hey you might find it interesting that last night I got an old LG phone with a full key-pad rigged ( with a little help of the soldering iron) to work with one of them. I might just turn use it with that to have the smallest PC that is still functional. A hand held keyboard, a tower the size of a pack of Camels and 7in screen from a broken DVD player. Kinda cute! I just have to find a way now to use an old 30 gig I-pod to serve as the hard drive instead of just using SD cards. Oh and make a circuit to regulate the power off the lithium battery and charge it. That is where I'm probably going to fry one.
Fascinating! I liked some of the old computer mods I've heard about, like expanding a Timex Sinclair, TI 994A mods, and even converting an Atari 800 into a PC. The TI994A is a promising one to modify. But you wouldn't want the one with the latest ROM version (they were crippled to only use TI cartridges and not 3rd party), though that can be worked around using EEPROMS. It used a 16-bit CPU, but was multiplexed down to 8. There were 256 bytes of 16-bit "scratchpad RAM" and the rest was 8-bit RAM. I don't remember how much. maybe 32 or 64K. But if you wanted to, you could modify it and put chips on the 16-bit side. Maybe SRAM chips if there is enough power for them. Another mod was to rework the video output. While the chip for that is NTSC composite output (to drive an RF modulator and an old television), it has a close cousin with most of the same pinouts, so change the chip and add a VGA connector.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#160 Jan 12, 2014
Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
When ReactOS says "Windows NT," they mean the overall family, not the version. Windows 2000, XP, 2003, 2008, Vista, 7, and 8 are all still NT-based. 95, 98, and ME came from DOS and Windows 3.1. Windows 95 was fairly stable, and while 98 fixed some things, it broke other things (more after adding the patches), and very few liked the Millennial Edition. I tried windows 2000, and in comparison to 98, it was much more stable, and performed better. BSODs were rare.
ROS is open source too, and it takes explanation to get people to know that open source doesn't always mean Linux. There is Minuet and Kolibrios, but you might as well be using Windows 3.1 under DOS. They are light and fast, but don't do much, but might be enough to use to repair another OS and play a few custom modified games, like a version of Doom (my guess is that they ported the game engine, but one would have to supply the other files from the PC version).
Google wasn't "attached" to ROS, but they did sponsor some interns to help. One was already a developer. Since then, Google hasn't chosen ROS for any other of their SoC events. But I researched more on your feelings about Google, and I didn't know they were so evil. Luckily, judges have been going on the side of the people in the suits against Google, but there is no telling how much longer. Why don't they get it? You don't hack into my email without a warrant, and you shouldn't be in my yard with cameras uninvited.
Yes, the Pi machines are great for a lot of things, even learning. There are hardware building kits too. For instance, some people take a PC or ARM machine, use some of the Arduino kit parts to make their own peripherals. They might attach a bunch of old floppy drives and use them as music instruments. Or, the Arduino could be used alone. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube about this sort of thing.
Ghostbusters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =lx_vWkv50ukXX
Super Mario Brothers theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
I get that about the windows NT is a family. I get the feeling though that the many in the open source community (especially the linux users) just scoff at anything that has the word Windows in it. The fact that it it still uses Wine I think is another turn off for some. Not that Wine is bad, but that I ( or anyone ) can do that without ReactOS seems redundant to some.
Google"s name became attached to it when they sponsored those interns to help. I think that has further turned some away.
When some people have strong opinions about things like Windows and Google, sometimes just hearing those names in the same paragraphs as something causes some people to immediately snub their nose at it.
Google does get it, they just don't care I think. That's why I'm so against chrome. No matter what if you download chrome it helps support google through legitimizing them and their efforts. Downloading the original Chromium browser avoids that. Bringing it back to the FF debate we had. That is why I would recommend FF to those having problems but I'm unsure how much they know what they are doing. Obscure browsers like Waterfox,Palemoon, Chromium, Iron. They are a little weird and hard to find for some casual users. I'd rather recommend the tried and true originals for people to start with.

Spotted Girl

Level 8

Spotted World

#161 Jan 12, 2014
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text>I get that about the windows NT is a family. I get the feeling though that the many in the open source community (especially the linux users) just scoff at anything that has the word Windows in it. The fact that it it still uses Wine I think is another turn off for some. Not that Wine is bad, but that I ( or anyone ) can do that without ReactOS seems redundant to some.
Google"s name became attached to it when they sponsored those interns to help. I think that has further turned some away.
When some people have strong opinions about things like Windows and Google, sometimes just hearing those names in the same paragraphs as something causes some people to immediately snub their nose at it.
Google does get it, they just don't care I think. That's why I'm so against chrome. No matter what if you download chrome it helps support google through legitimizing them and their efforts. Downloading the original Chromium browser avoids that. Bringing it back to the FF debate we had. That is why I would recommend FF to those having problems but I'm unsure how much they know what they are doing. Obscure browsers like Waterfox,Palemoon, Chromium, Iron. They are a little weird and hard to find for some casual users. I'd rather recommend the tried and true originals for people to start with.
The 2-3 month sponsorship is not what I'd call "attachment," and I saw no evidences of that turning anyone away. If anything, it helped build a momentum and added more excitement. It is an open source project, so Google cannot own any of it. Google has to do a certain amount of "good" to get people to be numb to their evil. While this is not the place to debate it, this is much like how people view the President. "You say he's evil, but we get all this free stuff...." Even a mouse trap might have some yummy cheese on it, and there might be a worm on a fishing hook, and worms are yummy to fish. But then there is that hook.

We won't agree on the Chrome part. I mean, I love the browser and its performance. But I am careful to disable all the snooping things I can find. The finding part is probably the challenge. You can still be anti-Google and like Chrome, but I guess you see that as a compromise, and you may be right. But for me and what I want to do, Chrome works better than FF. As for Chromium, I haven't tried that, but it sounds like it would be useless to what I want to do, since certain support is missing, and I am not sure external versions of certain things (JAVA, Flash, etc.) would work with it, but I will want to check this out. I love Chrome's renderer. I suggested to the ROS team that they should adapt the Webkit renderer to work as their MSHTML.dll file. However, Wine already adapted the Trident (Firefox) renderer to work that way, so nobody had interest in duplicating effort. So ROS uses Wine's files where they can. That frees them to write the kernel and to correct the implementation of things to more closely resemble Windows.

Oh, and I use Waterfox since I use Windows 7-64 bit. Firefox quit their 64-bit port, so Waterfox picked it up. Palemoon seems to also be popular among Waterfox users.

This is fun, maybe we need a thread. LOL! That is like what people tell lovebirds, to get a room. So I guess they will tell computer geeks to get another thread.:)

Since: Jan 07

Location Shown

#162 Jan 13, 2014
FTW Yall wrote:

http://www.electroniq.net/files/surse/MCP7384...

Or just trim one off a board and work it in,...

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#163 Jan 13, 2014
Oh man, you guys are turning me on! Trim my boards, oh yeah!

Since: Jan 07

Location Shown

#164 Jan 13, 2014
Naughtyrobot wrote:
Oh man, you guys are turning me on! Trim my boards, oh yeah!

Re-Mesh them Gears on Your Servos' and get the Backlash set to the Correct Tolerances' and you would be So Tight and still wouldn't squeak when You walked and even Grab a Nano Slice by the hair on it's Chinny Chin Chin,...

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#165 Jan 14, 2014
I am getting femtotech chills!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 4 min Denny CranesPlace 24,086
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 12 min MyLittleSecret 17,048
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 22 min -TheExam- 38,160
7 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 25 min -TheExam- 1,486
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 28 min Regolith Based Li... 222,016
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 32 min -TheExam- 62,112
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 33 min -TheExam- 8,334
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 56 min Mister_ E 220,932
What Turns You Off? (Jan '17) 1 hr Boink face 987
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr MyLittleSecret 4,671