The “Dangerous” Veteran: An Inaccurate Media Narrative

Posted in the Weird Forum

“ASPIRE 2 INSPIRE B4 U EXPIRE”

Level 8

Since: Jul 08

USA

#1 May 1, 2013
http://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/6026/the-%E2%...

....While a small fraction of Veterans have been convicted of murder, it often matters little in a media atmosphere which can place a premium on sensational headlines. In such an environment, Veterans are often stereotyped by those with an unclear understanding of what it means to live with PTSD. And the fact is, there is no limit to the number of reasons why a person might choose to become violent.

“The headlines are irresponsible,” said Brian Hawthorne, an Iraq War Veteran and board member of Student Veterans of America.“Murder should be talked about but shouldn’t be centered on the instability of a few in our military population.”

According to Gerhard Falk’s Murder: An Analysis of Its Forms, Conditions, and Causes, the occupations most likely to include murderers are laborers, service workers, and students. A comparison of those findings with the FBI’s Most Wanted list for violent crimes in 2012 shows a similar occurrence of occupations. Overwhelmingly, the top three offenders by occupation are general laborers, construction workers, and gang members.

Of course, we rarely—if ever—see articles hinting at a larger problem within the laborer field or the construction field. Likely, this is because we inherently understand that occupation or work experience doesn’t typically factor into a propensity for murder. Then again, headlines that scream,“Man Yielding Concrete Mix Charged with Murder: Hint of a Larger Problem?” are likely not as profitable.....

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#2 May 1, 2013
The stupidest blog ever

Posted on February 8, 2013 by jensim7

I chose to write this blog because I wanted to hike Whitney this year. It was my big goal. It was our big goal. Writing this was part of my commitment to that goal. I thought–if I write this and share with my friends, certainly I won’t back down. Their encouragement and my desire will propel me forward until late August comes and I spend 10 days with my husband climbing that majestic beast.

And then life threw us a curve ball.

At least it was a good one.

I cannot go into the details of this curve ball for two months, but I can say a huge professional growth opportunity presented itself and we pounced on it. So there. Maybe this is the stupidest blog ever because its author wrote of this huge commitment, huge journey, changes in lifestyle…. And then abandoned her cause for “professional growth.”

As Andy Irons once said:“Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah blah…”

Well, Paola, maybe you could still be right. Maybe we’ll just have to hike it in 1-3 days instead of the 10.

http://walkingtowhitney.wordpress.com/2013/02...
Krypteia

Barrow, UK

#3 May 1, 2013
Just read in the paper about Sgt Robertson,sorry off topic but if it's him that poor sod left in Vietnam all those years with your governments denial of MIA's still in there hands you wouldn't blame him if he ended up killing a politician.

Level 8

USA

#4 May 1, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
The stupidest blog ever
Posted on February 8, 2013 by jensim7
I chose to write this blog because I wanted to hike Whitney this year. It was my big goal. It was our big goal. Writing this was part of my commitment to that goal. I thought–if I write this and share with my friends, certainly I won’t back down. Their encouragement and my desire will propel me forward until late August comes and I spend 10 days with my husband climbing that majestic beast.
And then life threw us a curve ball.
At least it was a good one.
I cannot go into the details of this curve ball for two months, but I can say a huge professional growth opportunity presented itself and we pounced on it. So there. Maybe this is the stupidest blog ever because its author wrote of this huge commitment, huge journey, changes in lifestyle…. And then abandoned her cause for “professional growth.”
As Andy Irons once said:“Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah blah…”
Well, Paola, maybe you could still be right. Maybe we’ll just have to hike it in 1-3 days instead of the 10.
http://walkingtowhitney.wordpress.com/2013/02...
For a man who is supposed to be a veteran, you sure have a funny way of showing it. how about a comment on the thread, instead of some useless off the wall garbage that has zero to do with the fraudulent perception of the military foisted on the public by the media wh@res.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid

United States

#5 May 1, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
The stupidest blog ever.
Dear Diary,

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled."

~Mark Twain

Wherever I go on the internet, I meet and read stupid people. Honestly, these people tend to be of the republican persuasion. For some, life is not so much a continuing education as it is a continuing indoctrination. For example you can think Barack Obama was born in Kenya. It's OK to ponder such things. But, if after actually thinking about that you still believe that, you are an idiot. Glenn Beck or Limbaugh or any teapublican leaders who say Obama is Kenyan, do not believe he was born in Kenya and ineligible for the presidency. Their job is only to get you to believe it. They get well-paid to fool you into believing what they say is *true*.

Topix is like that too except for the 'well paid' part. And, ya know what? I finally found an idiot democrat!

I guess DaveMC is a real democrat. He argues pretty well in a pro democrat style and he doesn't sound like it's his assigned debate position like the Milwaukee guy does. It is kinda odd, it would seem, that either of these guys get along so well with the Sam's Club/Clique- whatever you might call them- when all these people are political reichtards. But, I really don't know how seriously most of them take politics. I think that politically, most of them are just assholes and it's easier to troll as a republican than as a democrat or liberal. Try it some time. Try sounding like a dick while saying children shouldn't go hungry if they are poor or their parents are not American citizens. Mitch McConnell is a dick but if he said that, you wouldn't think he was a dick.

Mitch is a dick. Mitch probably knows right from wrong but he realizes that there is more money to be made being a dick. Dave is just an idiot.

Dave believes that I troll women as a gray box, under the names "Mr Wadds" and "Linda The Lonely Widow." He believes this is true because he has been told it is true. Isn't that enough? That would work for you, right?

Well, of course not. The Powers That Be in Dave's life have also pointed out to Dave that both of those trolls post out of suburban Chicago locations! Does it get any more damning than that? I don't know. Maybe...if you don't know about proxy servers or if you think that Ferrerman is the only person in Northern Illinois with a computer. That's all that Dave needed to hear to be convinced. Seriously, that was enough. He heard it from a highly placed source...whom you've already figured out was Wadds-Linda itself. Dave is never going to figure that out. Remaining a fool means never having to admit you are one.

My guess is Billy R told him. He has told ME several times that I was those two troll names. It's one thing to tell me that you think I am someone. That's your fucked up opinion. But, it's quite another to tell me - in no uncertain terms- that I AM and you KNOW I am. That's just fucking stupid.

Is this important? No. I don't even read Wadds or Linda and wasn't aware of *them* until I read that I was accused of being them. No intelligent person on the face of the earth believes I am these gray box troll names. Only idiots do. So, no, it doesn't matter. But, it's very, VERY important to some asshole on Topix that as many idiots as possible believe that I am. Isn't that weird? It's not like it will save rich people money or anything important like that. And, frankly, it's not going to help the asshole win Topix either. There is no end game on Topix. Cockroaches will still be posting on Topix after Armegedon. They might be already...

It's just continually amazing and amusing to me that these assholes try sooooo hard to defeat Ferrerman and think that collecting the souls of idiots will win Topix.

Well, it's OK to think that but, I know different. I'm waaaay ahead of the class in that department!"

<tee hee> Well, there's that! <blush>

Peter McPan aka Ferrerman

Level 8

USA

#6 May 1, 2013
Diary of a Wimpy Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled."
~Mark Twain
Wherever I go on the internet, I meet and read stupid people.
Sooooooo, after all that, what is your opinion on the topic of this thread.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#7 May 1, 2013
REDNECK HIPPIE wrote:
<quoted text>
For a man who is supposed to be a veteran, you sure have a funny way of showing it. how about a comment on the thread, instead of some useless off the wall garbage that has zero to do with the fraudulent perception of the military foisted on the public by the media wh@res.
F*ck off - this is Offbeat, not Arlington.

Level 8

USA

#8 May 1, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
F*ck off - this is Offbeat, not Arlington.
ooooooh, struck a near did I. I don't care if this is offbeat or any other section of topix.
Bite me
General William T Sherman

Euless, TX

#9 May 1, 2013
REDNECK HIPPIE wrote:
<quoted text>
Sooooooo, after all that, what is your opinion on the topic of this thread.
War is hell.
The daily grind can be stressful.
Some are mad as hell, and
they're not gonna take it anymore.
Some are just plain mad.
A lot of broken homes.
Bad parenting, if any.
Some can't deal, many need help/counseling,
a peaceful resolve, an outlet.
Crime is crime, no exeptions.

"Love is but the song we sing,
And fear's the way we die
You can make the mountains ring
Or make the angels cry
Know the dove is on the wing
And you need not know why
C'mon people now,
Smile on your brother
Ev'rybody get together
Try and love one another right now
Some will come and some will go
We shall surely pass
When the one that left us here
Returns for us at last
We are but a moments sunlight
Fading in the grass
C'mon people now,
Smile on your brother
Ev'rybody get together
If you hear the song I sing,
You must understand
You hold the key to love and fear
All in your trembling hand
Just one key unlocks them both
It's there at your command
C'mon people now,
Smile on your brother
Ev'rybody get together
Right now
Right now!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 5 min andet1987 7,557
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 9 min andet1987 6,863
Is it possible to....... 10 min mr goodwrench 547
The Letter J (Jan '14) 10 min andet1987 23
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 12 min andet1987 6,950
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 16 min Dogen 132,474
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 16 min Roy 25,663
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 30 min wichita-rick 152,459
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 1 hr CJ Rocker 222
HOW LONG can you hold YOUR SEMEN ? For men only. (Mar '12) 3 hr -Lea- 47