Minn. Bills Would Treat E-Cigs As Sta...

Minn. Bills Would Treat E-Cigs As Standard Smokes

There are 20 comments on the CBS Local story from Feb 26, 2014, titled Minn. Bills Would Treat E-Cigs As Standard Smokes. In it, CBS Local reports that:

The growing popularity of smokeless electronic cigarettes has Minnesota lawmakers weighing whether they should be regulated in similar fashion to traditional tobacco products.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS Local.

Only For Tax Money

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Feb 26, 2014
Many complain and want the cigarette smokers to quit, and the ads show different kinds of quit aides, patches, gum, lozenges, and even pills that are anti-depressants and can have dangerous side affects, yet the e-gig is getting flack. It really isn't about getting those people who smoke to quit smoking, and they don't really care if they do, because If they did, then HHS and the Government would close the tobacco companies. The only way everyone will stop smoking is when they cannot get them by closing those tobacco companies. It is more about money and how much the state and stadium owners can get. Time to also start taxing alcohol in the same capacity. There are more alcohol drinkers than smokers and alcohol also kills. And hopefully they will never legalize marijuana in this state. Another killer.
harleyhoney

Sherwood Park, Canada

#2 Feb 26, 2014
Only For Tax Money wrote:
Many complain and want the cigarette smokers to quit, and the ads show different kinds of quit aides, patches, gum, lozenges, and even pills that are anti-depressants and can have dangerous side affects, yet the e-gig is getting flack. It really isn't about getting those people who smoke to quit smoking, and they don't really care if they do, because If they did, then HHS and the Government would close the tobacco companies. The only way everyone will stop smoking is when they cannot get them by closing those tobacco companies. It is more about money and how much the state and stadium owners can get. Time to also start taxing alcohol in the same capacity. There are more alcohol drinkers than smokers and alcohol also kills. And hopefully they will never legalize marijuana in this state. Another killer.
I almost agree with all you say. Marijuana has not been proven to cause the effects of alcohol or tobacco, as a matter of fact it has more pros than cons.
But I do agree booze and cigarettes are a money grab by the government. I was saying the other day, they put ads/commercials everywhere for people to quit, no smoking everywhere, here in Alberta Canada, you can no longer legally smoke in your vehicle with a person under 16 present. But yet they make all quit smoker aids out of the reach of the average person, they are ridiculously expensive, and most that smoke do not have the budget to be doing so. I would love to see a smoke free world, and no tobacco companies.

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Level 9

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#3 Feb 26, 2014
Kind of figures that a Democrat would be leading this crusade.
FTW

United States

#4 Feb 26, 2014
Only For Tax Money wrote:
What people choose to consume is none of your or anybody else's business.

“Cat's rule”

Level 7

Since: Feb 11

and dog's drool :-)

#5 Feb 26, 2014
dragoon70056 wrote:
Kind of figures that a Democrat would be leading this crusade.
Yeah .. and then some idiot want to govern what other people smoke while she smokes her pot.
What a bonehead ....
beatlesinthebog

Auckland, New Zealand

#6 Feb 26, 2014
harleyhoney wrote:
<quoted text>
I almost agree with all you say. Marijuana has not been proven to cause the effects of alcohol or tobacco, as a matter of fact it has more pros than cons.
But I do agree booze and cigarettes are a money grab by the government. I was saying the other day, they put ads/commercials everywhere for people to quit, no smoking everywhere, here in Alberta Canada, you can no longer legally smoke in your vehicle with a person under 16 present. But yet they make all quit smoker aids out of the reach of the average person, they are ridiculously expensive, and most that smoke do not have the budget to be doing so. I would love to see a smoke free world, and no tobacco companies.
Govt wants everyone to stop......oops,zillions in lost taxes.....aha...tax the shit out of stop smoking aids....problem solved...win/win. We have a reasonable solution....go to doc,get prescription for patches....govt pays !....and hopes they make up the losses in less healthcare subsidies. Not perfect but it's probably a move in the right direction.....though I don't see it as a complete panacea,if anyone really wants to stop the cure needs to start in their own head, but it's amazing just how many little triggers are about...some obvious.....many subliminal.....note how much smoking is shown in movies & tv once again !
harleyhoney

Sherwood Park, Canada

#7 Feb 26, 2014
FTW wrote:
<quoted text>What people choose to consume is none of your or anybody else's business.
As I said I would love to see a smoke free world, but I also do not see that happening, not in my time anyways..lol! I also agree with you that what a person wants to put in their body is their business, that also goes for how a person chooses to live their life! But if people do want to quit, it would be in best interest to make it more reasonable money wise.
I heard that you cannot even have those fake vapor cigarettes on a plane.. now that is ridiculous!
What our governments need to do is learn how to govern a country before they attempt to tell others what to do, especially when they so contradict themselves for money.
harleyhoney

Sherwood Park, Canada

#8 Feb 26, 2014
beatlesinthebog wrote:
<quoted text>Govt wants everyone to stop......oops,zillions in lost taxes.....aha...tax the shit out of stop smoking aids....problem solved...win/win. We have a reasonable solution....go to doc,get prescription for patches....govt pays !....and hopes they make up the losses in less healthcare subsidies. Not perfect but it's probably a move in the right direction.....though I don't see it as a complete panacea,if anyone really wants to stop the cure needs to start in their own head, but it's amazing just how many little triggers are about...some obvious.....many subliminal.....note how much smoking is shown in movies & tv once again !
Here in Canada quit smoking aids are taxed, as about everything else...lol! I honestly do not thing the government gives a rats ass about whether or not you smoke in a car with someone under 16 present, it is just again,,,a money grab.
Yes I have seen smoking in a movie recently, can't remember which it was. Was surprised to see it.
We also have our cigarettes in stores hidden to the public..lol! Like that has worked.
beatlesinthebog

Auckland, New Zealand

#9 Feb 26, 2014
harleyhoney wrote:
<quoted text>
Here in Canada quit smoking aids are taxed, as about everything else...lol! I honestly do not thing the government gives a rats ass about whether or not you smoke in a car with someone under 16 present, it is just again,,,a money grab.
Yes I have seen smoking in a movie recently, can't remember which it was. Was surprised to see it.
We also have our cigarettes in stores hidden to the public..lol! Like that has worked.
yeh yeh yeh ....same.....and the nasty pictures .....and plain packaging "being debated" and the 10% tax hike every year.......f****in' bullshit ! Now here's a good one.....ALL smoking in prisons was banned sometime back.......you can imagine what that caused !!!.......apparently there's heaps more apprehensions for smuggling tobacco in now than for dope...hahaha
harleyhoney

Sherwood Park, Canada

#10 Feb 26, 2014
beatlesinthebog wrote:
<quoted text>yeh yeh yeh ....same.....and the nasty pictures .....and plain packaging "being debated" and the 10% tax hike every year.......f****in' bullshit ! Now here's a good one.....ALL smoking in prisons was banned sometime back.......you can imagine what that caused !!!.......apparently there's heaps more apprehensions for smuggling tobacco in now than for dope...hahaha
LOL, the government in their infinite wisdom do create more problems than cure that is for sure. I hate those pictures,,they are disgusting especially the one of the woman all skin and bones, really??? I find it more offensive than the smokers. Why don't they put pics on liquor bottles, cases of beer, of people in accidents after being hit by a drunk driver, or fetuses when mom has drank!
Yes the tax hikes, yet the bastards still charge us for their personal expenses when they travel, all for us and the good of the country...lol!
harleyhoney

Sherwood Park, Canada

#11 Feb 26, 2014
Oh and the one I really like is... it is against the law to sell smokes to anyone under 18, yet they have smoking sections outside the high schools!!!!!

“"Eatin' Ain't Cheatin!"”

Level 1

Since: Sep 06

Thompson's Station, Tn

#12 Feb 27, 2014
harleyhoney wrote:
<quoted text>

What our governments need to do is learn how to govern a country before they attempt to tell others what to do, especially when they so contradict themselves for money.
These E-Cigarettes do have nicotine but no tar, so the second hand vapor is no problem.

Whenever our Government gets involved with ANYTHING, it is always a disaster. They can pass frivolous laws and pay-raises immediately but never balance a budget. Health Care, Social Security, Postal System, IRS, etc........ I wish politicians would just stick to their election promises, represent us, and stay out of frivolous law-making.

Whatever happen to Freedom and Pursuit of Happiness?

You did well HarleyHoney

Level 1

Thompson's Station, Tn

#13 Feb 27, 2014
Back in 1966 when I was 13 years old, A TWA stewardess gave me a complimentary pack of Winstons for my flight.

I worked in a smoky, oily, hot pressroom with welders everywhere and used cigarettes to filter the air. They now have eliminated cigarette smoking in that facility but never solved the problems with the atmosphere. Great Logic!
Marysville Ohio

Mount Prospect, IL

#14 Feb 27, 2014
Mexican Hillbilly wrote:
<quoted text>
These E-Cigarettes do have nicotine but no tar, so the second hand vapor is no problem.
Whenever our Government gets involved with ANYTHING, it is always a disaster. They can pass frivolous laws and pay-raises immediately but never balance a budget. Health Care, Social Security, Postal System, IRS, etc........ I wish politicians would just stick to their election promises, represent us, and stay out of frivolous law-making.
You did well HarleyHoney
You do realize that this is a state tax, not Federal? If the teapublicans ever could seize control of the US and balkanize the states into individual fiefdoms, you will STILL have to pay taxes. You will have to pay A LOT in taxes.

I'm sorry- you have no clue! Carry on. You'll be fine....
harleyhoney

Sherwood Park, Canada

#15 Feb 27, 2014
Mexican Hillbilly wrote:
<quoted text>
You did well HarleyHoney
Thank you. Back at ya!
Hannibal The Cannibal

Huntington, NY

#16 Feb 27, 2014
FTW wrote:
<quoted text>What people choose to consume is none of your or anybody else's business.
I agree!!!

Thanks!!!
Manny Toba

Huntington, NY

#17 Feb 27, 2014
harleyhoney wrote:
Oh and the one I really like is... it is against the law to sell smokes to anyone under 18, yet they have smoking sections outside the high schools!!!!!
I guess teachers are under the age of 18 where you live.
Well that figures.

Now I understand how you got your logic skills.
harleyhoney

Sherwood Park, Canada

#18 Feb 27, 2014
Mexican Hillbilly wrote:
Back in 1966 when I was 13 years old, A TWA stewardess gave me a complimentary pack of Winstons for my flight.
I worked in a smoky, oily, hot pressroom with welders everywhere and used cigarettes to filter the air. They now have eliminated cigarette smoking in that facility but never solved the problems with the atmosphere. Great Logic!
Logic is not a requirement for governments, and those that think up this crap!

Since: Oct 09

over here <-------->

#19 Feb 27, 2014
Just for the clueless:
In 2009 Obama passed legislation raising the federal taxes on a pack of cigarettes from $0.50 to $1.01.

Level 1

Thompson's Station, Tn

#20 Feb 27, 2014
Marysville Ohio wrote:
<quoted text>You do realize that this is a state tax, not Federal? If the teapublicans ever could seize control of the US and balkanize the states into individual fiefdoms, you will STILL have to pay taxes. You will have to pay A LOT in taxes.
I'm sorry- you have no clue! Carry on. You'll be fine....
I never mentioned anything about taxes. You must be thinking of someone else. Carry on Route 33.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 4 min KNIGHT DeVINE 15,311
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 4 min Parden Pard 45,783
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 6 min KNIGHT DeVINE 15,264
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 7 min KNIGHT DeVINE 10,687
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 7 min Suezanne 10,638
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 8 min Parden Pard 61,085
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 8 min -ZAMASU- 207,129
What Topics knows about you 8 min Out In The Blogos... 76
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 57 min 8541 MARINE 67,249
What turns you on ? (Aug '11) 1 hr honeymylove 1,511
More from around the web