Truth is Stranger than Fiction!

Truth is Stranger than Fiction!

Posted in the Weird Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“March'16”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

β€˜

#1 Apr 6, 2011
It is often said 'truth is stranger than fiction'
and so it is,
sometimes even stranger than brilliant dreamed up movie plots.

At the moment there's one going on here.

Very recently, someone went into
a TESCO store and purchased a lotto ticket,

[you can buy so many lines on one ticket
at whatever price you chose]

The customer asked for a 4 euro ticket,
bbut, by mistake the cashier rang in a 9 euro ticket
[euro would be similar to a dollar]

the customer who had other bills,
wasnt prepared to pay more and so, handed back the 9 euro ticket that was given in error,
and the cashier printed a new lotto ticket for 4 euro.

End of affair with customer transaction.

The cashier put the other mistaken 9 euro ticket
in the cash box til later [as all tickets must be accounted for]

And ....
Yes, you guessed, the 9 euro ticket contained
a winning line for 500000Euros!!!!!!

Now, the fun begins, the customer has no say anymore
..[it is thought] as he returned the ticket..

but NOW the cashier is saying that she put it by
with the idea of buying it later! but
wasn't allowed to by TESCO..
now she is bringing the case to court..
believing the winning ticket is rightfully
hers, but I don't think so, if she is working in the
store, I don't think she has any 'personal' claim to it..

Anyway should be an interesting case.

I feel SO sorry for the original customer
who returned the ticket!
O, woe is me!!!!

Have YOU a similar story...
60s chic

Emmaus, PA

#2 Apr 6, 2011
It seems if the cashier made the mistake with the ticket, and put it in the drawer - with the intent of purchasing it later; it should be considered hers. But, as you say, the store does not permit this, so the ticket is null and void? OR, does the store owner intend to cash in the ticket? It is unfortunate that the customer didn't buy the 1st ticket, but legally, it doesn't make him/her the rightful owner. Perhaps the thing to do would be to divide the winnings among the customer, the cashier and the store owner. Another thing would be to donate the winnings to a charitable cause.

Grace, please tell us later, what the outcome of this story is. I suppose if I were that customer, I too would be trying to claim the prize, or at least a portion of it. Anyway, that customer must have had a difficult time sleeping that night!

“March'16”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

β€˜

#3 Apr 6, 2011
60s chic wrote:
It seems if the cashier made the mistake with the ticket, and put it in the drawer - with the intent of purchasing it later; it should be considered hers. But, as you say, the store does not permit this, so the ticket is null and void? OR, does the store owner intend to cash in the ticket? It is unfortunate that the customer didn't buy the 1st ticket, but legally, it doesn't make him/her the rightful owner. Perhaps the thing to do would be to divide the winnings among the customer, the cashier and the store owner. Another thing would be to donate the winnings to a charitable cause.
Grace, please tell us later, what the outcome of this story is. I suppose if I were that customer, I too would be trying to claim the prize, or at least a portion of it. Anyway, that customer must have had a difficult time sleeping that night!
Thanks 60'sC,

Yes a very interesting case,

Your is a good suggestion too, re giving it to charity,
and they have already considered this,
but
since then, the cashier is talking about it
being hers! but I can't see that she has a right in
it, as she was the cashier serving customers,
I will let you know the outcome..

Here's a bit from the newspaper>>

******

"Shopper loses out on €500,000 after handing back lottery ticket"

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

JOANNE HUNT

A SHOPPER who had a €9 quick-pick ticket, issued to them in error, replaced by the €4 bet they asked for has missed out on lottery winnings of € 500,000, it has emerged.

The news came yesterday amid reports that a Tesco store in Navan accidentally won the prize when a customer handed back the winning ticket.

While it is understood that the €9 quick-pick EuroMillions Plus ticket was sold in the Meath store and that the ticket scooped the top prize in the April 1st draw, it is still unclear whether Tesco Ireland are the ultimate winners.

It is believed that the person who bought the ticket had asked for a €4 quick-pick in the Euro-Millions Plus draw but when handed the €9 ticket in error, they returned it to the cashier who locked it in the till.

Last Friday’s winning Euro-Millions Plus numbers were 1, 8, 36, 38 and 46.

No one has yet claimed the prize.

Tesco Ireland said it was still trying to verify what happened but if it emerges that they are the lucky winners of the cash, they will give it away.

The National Lottery was last night unavailable for comment.
Home »

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#4 Apr 6, 2011
Grace Nerissa wrote:
It is often said 'truth is stranger than fiction'
and so it is,
sometimes even stranger than brilliant dreamed up movie plots.
At the moment there's one going on here.
Very recently, someone went into
a TESCO store and purchased a lotto ticket,
[you can buy so many lines on one ticket
at whatever price you chose]
The customer asked for a 4 euro ticket,
bbut, by mistake the cashier rang in a 9 euro ticket
[euro would be similar to a dollar]
the customer who had other bills,
wasnt prepared to pay more and so, handed back the 9 euro ticket that was given in error,
and the cashier printed a new lotto ticket for 4 euro.
End of affair with customer transaction.
The cashier put the other mistaken 9 euro ticket
in the cash box til later [as all tickets must be accounted for]
And ....
Yes, you guessed, the 9 euro ticket contained
a winning line for 500000Euros!!!!!!
Now, the fun begins, the customer has no say anymore
..[it is thought] as he returned the ticket..
but NOW the cashier is saying that she put it by
with the idea of buying it later! but
wasn't allowed to by TESCO..
now she is bringing the case to court..
believing the winning ticket is rightfully
hers, but I don't think so, if she is working in the
store, I don't think she has any 'personal' claim to it..
Anyway should be an interesting case.
I feel SO sorry for the original customer
who returned the ticket!
O, woe is me!!!!
Have YOU a similar story...


yes I thought I married for better/worse-love/obey-richer/ poorer.......
I divorced and sure enough I got BETTER-LOVED-RICHER ever hear of something so strange ????????

bet she loses the suit

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#5 Apr 6, 2011
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks 60'sC,
Yes a very interesting case,
Your is a good suggestion too, re giving it to charity,
and they have already considered this,
but
since then, the cashier is talking about it
being hers! but I can't see that she has a right in
it, as she was the cashier serving customers,
I will let you know the outcome..
Here's a bit from the newspaper>>
******
"Shopper loses out on €500,000 after handing back lottery ticket"
Wednesday, April 6, 2011
JOANNE HUNT
A SHOPPER who had a €9 quick-pick ticket, issued to them in error, replaced by the €4 bet they asked for has missed out on lottery winnings of € 500,000, it has emerged.
The news came yesterday amid reports that a Tesco store in Navan accidentally won the prize when a customer handed back the winning ticket.
While it is understood that the €9 quick-pick EuroMillions Plus ticket was sold in the Meath store and that the ticket scooped the top prize in the April 1st draw, it is still unclear whether Tesco Ireland are the ultimate winners.
It is believed that the person who bought the ticket had asked for a €4 quick-pick in the Euro-Millions Plus draw but when handed the €9 ticket in error, they returned it to the cashier who locked it in the till.
Last Friday’s winning Euro-Millions Plus numbers were 1, 8, 36, 38 and 46.
No one has yet claimed the prize.
Tesco Ireland said it was still trying to verify what happened but if it emerges that they are the lucky winners of the cash, they will give it away.
The National Lottery was last night unavailable for comment.
Home »
the ticket was null/void since it was never purchased

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#6 Apr 6, 2011
like saying I was thinking of those numbers and I meant to play them later... can't try a case on thought , only action

“March'16”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

β€˜

#7 Apr 6, 2011
tallyho wrote:
like saying I was thinking of those numbers and I meant to play them later... can't try a case on thought , only action
LOL

I agree completely,

The cashier can say what she likes now
re 'that she had thought about purchasing
it -
as you say, and I see it like that too,
a HUGE difference about 'buying it' and 'thinking
of buying it' and TESCO can't be held for
not allowing her to purchase the ticket,
since the whole matter needed further investigation.

In any case the outcome will be interesting.
60s chic

Emmaus, PA

#8 Apr 6, 2011
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
the ticket was null/void since it was never purchased
I agree. Legally, no one will be able to claim the ticket. In that kind of situation, would the government or commons be able to confiscate the winnings and donate the money to charity? Seems like the sensible thing to do and would serve a worthy cause.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#9 Apr 6, 2011
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
I agree completely,
The cashier can say what she likes now
re 'that she had thought about purchasing
it -
as you say, and I see it like that too,
a HUGE difference about 'buying it' and 'thinking
of buying it' and TESCO can't be held for
not allowing her to purchase the ticket,
since the whole matter needed further investigation.
In any case the outcome will be interesting.
interesting is correct please "Irish "you keep me posted , Tesco can't settled out of court , because that will open the gateway to employee/employer code of conduct.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#10 Apr 6, 2011
60s chic wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Legally, no one will be able to claim the ticket. In that kind of situation, would the government or commons be able to confiscate the winnings and donate the money to charity? Seems like the sensible thing to do and would serve a worthy cause.
since American law is based upon English common law , the ticket was never purchased so there fore a contract doesn't exist , I can explain it deeper but it speaks for itself [to me]
60s chic

Emmaus, PA

#11 Apr 6, 2011
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
since American law is based upon English common law , the ticket was never purchased so there fore a contract doesn't exist , I can explain it deeper but it speaks for itself [to me]
More wealth for the next lucky winner.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#12 Apr 6, 2011
60s chic wrote:
<quoted text>
More wealth for the next lucky winner.
for sure , but when it gets to be super size someone will win because more people play and so the odds reduce not to the person but to the masses

“March'16”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

β€˜

#13 Apr 6, 2011
The cashier also said that she put
a 'smiley face' on the ticket
to prove 'twas hers, but that is of
no account as,
tickets have to have a signature on the back.

I suppose in a way, you can't blame her
for trying, as there's a LOTTO money involved
[pun intended]!

I still feel for the original person who gave
back the ticket,
imagine having sacrificed 500,000! for the sake
of parting with an extra
5 euros!!!

O!! the pain of knowing that 'now'!

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#14 Apr 6, 2011
Grace Nerissa wrote:
The cashier also said that she put
a 'smiley face' on the ticket
to prove 'twas hers, but that is of
no account as,
tickets have to have a signature on the back.
I suppose in a way, you can't blame her
for trying, as there's a LOTTO money involved
[pun intended]!
I still feel for the original person who gave
back the ticket,
imagine having sacrificed 500,000! for the sake
of parting with an extra
5 euros!!!
O!! the pain of knowing that 'now'!
no time stamp , but she should be on a security camera, if true

“March'16”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

β€˜

#15 Apr 6, 2011
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
no time stamp , but she should be on a security camera, if true
"Twill be interesting, to say the least,
to see how the story ends!

either the ticket will be deemed null & void,
or 'Tesco' will own it,
in which case they have already hinted
re giving it to a charity.

I do think the cashier has no claim,
after all, she was the person inside the counter
whose job it was,
dealing with the public who were buying lotto tickets,
why then should she be personally allowed to
be part of the sale, so to speak!

I cannot honestly see that.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#16 Apr 6, 2011
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
"Twill be interesting, to say the least,
to see how the story ends!
either the ticket will be deemed null & void,
or 'Tesco' will own it,
in which case they have already hinted
re giving it to a charity.
I do think the cashier has no claim,
after all, she was the person inside the counter
whose job it was,
dealing with the public who were buying lotto tickets,
why then should she be personally allowed to
be part of the sale, so to speak!
I cannot honestly see that.
agreed

“March'16”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

β€˜

#17 Apr 12, 2011
The latest is, that TESCO has decided to give
the full 'mistaken' lotto winnings away to charity.

I think it's the best possible decision
under the strange circumstance..

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#18 Apr 12, 2011
Grace Nerissa wrote:
The latest is, that TESCO has decided to give
the full 'mistaken' lotto winnings away to charity.
I think it's the best possible decision
under the strange circumstance..
good move and a nice tax write -off , plus the image factor

have a nice day Irish
Vee

Jacksonville, FL

#19 Apr 13, 2011
I finally got here, Grace, to answer you lottery ticket situation. This was NOT on my tracker. Sometimes, with human error, the cashiers will punch out an "extra" ticket" and I never let them void it. I pay for it. I never know if that particular one was added for a reason. There have been times they have given me at least a dozen extra by mistake, and they just void them so they become no good to anyone. The policy of Powerball is really stupid. None can be voided. At one store, if people dont cough up the money, the employees have to pay out of their own pocket for the tickets. At another, they tape the ticket to the counter for anyone who wants to buy them. I dont know why they cannot be voided as both kinds, are one dollar. Raffle tickets at 20 dollars each, cannot be voided either. I can see that being a legitimate case, but not for one dollar tickets. Glad I found this ti respond and HAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPYYYYYYYYYYYY YY Birthday!!!!!!!!!!

“March'16”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

β€˜

#20 Apr 13, 2011
Vee wrote:
I finally got here, Grace, to answer you lottery ticket situation. This was NOT on my tracker. Sometimes, with human error, the cashiers will punch out an "extra" ticket" and I never let them void it. I pay for it. I never know if that particular one was added for a reason. There have been times they have given me at least a dozen extra by mistake, and they just void them so they become no good to anyone. The policy of Powerball is really stupid. None can be voided. At one store, if people dont cough up the money, the employees have to pay out of their own pocket for the tickets. At another, they tape the ticket to the counter for anyone who wants to buy them. I dont know why they cannot be voided as both kinds, are one dollar. Raffle tickets at 20 dollars each, cannot be voided either. I can see that being a legitimate case, but not for one dollar tickets. Glad I found this ti respond and HAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPYYYYYYYYYYYY YY Birthday!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Vee.

***

Interesting what you wrote,
I knew you were a lotto fan!

Wow!
I'd just HATE to have been that person who, unwittingly, handed
back the winning ticket..

but, as a rule .. we are all wiser after the event !!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Just start naming actors and actresses (Sep '11) 2 min Mega Monster 4,712
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 3 min Princess Hey 9,730
Any Word ! (Mar '11) 3 min Mega Monster 3,843
One Word (Jan '09) 4 min Mega Monster 15,195
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 5 min SUG here 34,718
Word Association (Mar '10) 5 min Mega Monster 19,960
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 7 min Crazy Beautiful 31,931
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 17 min Eight Baller 189,603
Answer a question with a question (Apr '15) 25 min Dont_You_Dare 1,878
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 49 min Old Sam 144,201
Transgender bathrooms .... thoughts? 1 hr Lawrence Wolf 105
More from around the web