Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223366 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Happy New Year

#121751 Sep 4, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> He is a the arrogant German version of us..after all.
Young and full of...lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =wXcdYBh3hggXX
I like to give us more credit hen that. Maybe an German version of wondering.

Since: Jul 14

Location hidden

#121752 Sep 4, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Koreans are a smarter. I know it sucks those little Asians best you and US in aptitude tests.
No they are not. They are just drilled.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#121753 Sep 4, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI: I have explained this already twice to him.
Including the junk DNA, the difference between advantageous, disadvantageous and neutral mutations, gene duplications, natural selection, you name it.
He first refuses to address the posts and, of course, after some weeks, he just "forgets".
Now that you mention it, I do recall some of that. I think I have explained it to him before. Well, it is good practice for me to explain anyway. Keeps me sharp.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#121754 Sep 4, 2014
deutscher Nationalstolz wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a stupid comparison. You are comparing German Americans with Germans that include many Turks. You should compare it with German Germans. Besides the IQ is not a reliable measurement for intelligence.
Getting your ass kicked in two major wars is though.
Cheers Adolph.

Location hidden

#121755 Sep 4, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I think baby needs a change. Somebody has got the poopy pants.
Can you get a normal German to post on here then and explain why you guys always get your asses kicked when you go up against other countries?
We easily won against France in 1871 because they didn't had the support of the whole world. No nation would be able to beat Germany 1:1 in WW1 and WW2.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#121756 Sep 4, 2014
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because German Shepherds also have opposable thumbs and a large brain compared to their total body mass .... right??
OB, I left you a response to your post the other day. I wasn't making a crack about you. It was directed to HOG, based on your comment.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#121757 Sep 4, 2014
<quoted text>
We easily won against France in 1871 because they didn't had the support of the whole world. No nation would be able to beat Germany 1:1 in WW1 and WW2.
russia would have in WWII

Location hidden

#121758 Sep 4, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>
russia would have in WWII
no russia wouldn't

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#121759 Sep 4, 2014
<quoted text>
no russia wouldn't
didja ever take Stalingrad? couldn't even take a city? why not?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#121760 Sep 4, 2014
<quoted text>
We easily won against France in 1871 because they didn't had the support of the whole world. No nation would be able to beat Germany 1:1 in WW1 and WaW2.
So --- according to YOUR logic ---
<quoted text>
No nation would be able to beat Germany 1:1 in WW1 and WW2.
---- yet Germany was essentially COERCED (or was that "BULLIED"?) TWICE into starting both wars by England?

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#121761 Sep 4, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
So --- according to YOUR logic --- <quoted text>
---- yet Germany was essentially COERCED (or was that "BULLIED"?) TWICE into starting both wars by England?

< (Shrugs and says)

Shoot Hitler blamed it on the Jews?

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#121762 Sep 4, 2014
<quoted text>
You may not want to brag about that France victory. Beating France is like your sister. Everyone has done it.

You poor miserable bastard. It must suck to have such low self esteem that you have to pretend Germany could have won battles that they didn't just lose, but were beaten to a pulp. I can tell it is hurting you to be the whelp of a sick dog.

You might want to check again, but as I recall, you had some help in those wars. Damn it sucks that you are so stupid you don't even know your own history. So far, your track record isn't very good. You can't recognize a computer glitch from repositioning of objects on a page, you put down the English and then use the concepts developed by an Englishman, and now you apparently don't know your own national history.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#121763 Sep 4, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You may not want to brag about that France victory. Beating France is like your sister. Everyone has done it.
You poor miserable bastard. It must suck to have such low self esteem that you have to pretend Germany could have won battles that they didn't just lose, but were beaten to a pulp. I can tell it is hurting you to be the whelp of a sick dog.
You might want to check again, but as I recall, you had some help in those wars. Damn it sucks that you are so stupid you don't even know your own history. So far, your track record isn't very good. You can't recognize a computer glitch from repositioning of objects on a page, you put down the English and then use the concepts developed by an Englishman, and now you apparently don't know your own national history.
For sale....
1 practically new french rifle , only dropped once but never fired.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#121764 Sep 4, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
For sale....
1 practically new french rifle , only dropped once but never fired.
These are like zucchini. You can't even give them away.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#121765 Sep 4, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>OB, I left you a response to your post the other day. I wasn't making a crack about you. It was directed to HOG, based on your comment.
I figured it was something like that. I merely responded in kind as is my habit. No real offence intended.

Petal Power

“It's a New Dawn”

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#121766 Sep 4, 2014
SLURPEE BREAK!!!

Put those Shovels and Endless thoughts of Did we Evolve from a Speck of Stardust or Created as a Single Cell??

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#121767 Sep 4, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem, we all made mistakes, my point in the cars is we know intelligent design in non-living things when we see it. If we went to Mars and saw a rock formation that was a perfect imitation of the great pyramid, we would know that this was intelligent design, not coincidence.
So why can't we see that the diversity and complexity of life and the cosmos is also intelligent design. What experience do we have where things left to themselves go from worse to better? Isn't it the other way around?
You are making value judgments about historical and present conditions that don't apply. Early life wasn't worse or better. It was just life. It was under natural selection just as life is today, but early life wasn't as complex as later life has become. But that is not a prerequisite of evolution. Reduction is another path that evolution can take with organisms. In fact, a very common and successful path.

We don't see diversity and complexity as the result of an intelligent designer, simply because there is no evidence for such a designer that has ever been found. No, that doesn't rule out the existence of a designer and evolution doesn't say that there is no designer. It says that based on all the evidence, every scrap we have accumulated, life on earth has developed from a common ancestry through descent with change over time. Science no longer argues over the fact of evolution and now spends its efforts on how it occurred and how things are related. From a practical side, we use evolution in medicine, agriculture, conservation, the petroleum industry and for pure research.

I don't like bringing up my personal beliefs because I am interested in discussing the science and my beliefs don't have any bearing on that, but I believe in God and I accept the science. Am I supposed to deny what I see with my own eyes? Am I supposed to deny valid research, objective evaluation of the evidence and rational conclusions because it doesn't support a global flood or Adam and Eve as actual events. I haven't considered them to be actual events since I was ten. That hasn't changed the underlying meaning of those stories to me.

Intelligent design is a theology and not a science. There are a small number of scientists that want it to be supported by evidence, but it isn't. Most are not biologists and all of them are letting their beliefs cloud there judgment by letting them guide their scientific views rather than following the facts.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#121768 Sep 4, 2014
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
I figured it was something like that. I merely responded in kind as is my habit. No real offence intended.
Glad to hear that. I wasn't aiming at you and wanted to make that clear. It did raise a question though. I have assumed you are a male, no doubt from my own bias. Your response gave the impression that my chauvinism is showing. If so, my apologies.
The Dude

UK

#121769 Sep 4, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
And we pointed out your math was wrong,....I think that works out to just a little more than 24 changes per year.
It is interesting you claim my math was wrong yet you assert the number (24) I said would be required at the 4% difference? Which is wrong my math or your assertion?
<quoted text>
And we pointed out your math was wrong, just as your science claims are wrong, and your view of reality itself is wrong. We know this as we know that hundreds of thousands are born each day and each of them are born with between one to two hundred mutations each.
And where did you cite a study that confirms this? Where is a study which shows that these are new mutations? If we have millions born with 200 mutations each year and the same mutations are showing up again and again, how does this support the change needed to show common descent 5 million years ago? We would need a minimum of 24 new changes each year that are passed down to children. That is based upon the 4% difference I believe, what about a 30% difference? How many changes can you document in the entire history of mankind? At 24 changes per year, what can you correlate to anything that has happened in the last 6000 years? What is your prediction for change in humanity?
<quoted text>
why are you pretending to talk about evidence when evidence doesn't matter to your position?
Why are you pretending to give evidence when you only give assertions? You can't even keep your assertions straight. You assert my math is wrong then you assert the number I predicted!
I didn't give any assertions.

So just checking - mutations, are they random or non-random?
The Dude

UK

#121770 Sep 4, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Biological organisms through a number of processes including a number that are not driven by intelligence.
This is an assertion.
<quoted text>
WHo is your designer and where can I write him to discuss a warranty issue?
My designer is G-d and if you humble yourself he will discuss anything with you.
<quoted text>
In the search for answers, we found that organisms can change without the need for divine intervention.
And how did you rule divine intervention out since you already admit you can't find Him?
<quoted text>
Putting two and two together makes more sense than adding in a new box that says 'And God Does his Magic Here',
I think you are using too much of a generality. I assert G-d created the life we know today. I don't assert that he did not include in the design adaptability. I also don't assert he is directly responsible for every mutation that occurs, although he already knows about it.
<quoted text>
What you are doing is trying to raise the goal posts to an impossible degree.
I feel the same way from the opposition also. But certainly to ask for documented change in the human genome year by year is not impossible is it?
<quoted text>
If we laid out the entire spectrum of knowledge, including all evidence supporting common descent, you would dismiss it out of hand.
So far what hard evidence have you provided? What study that one could reasonably conclude that this is the only possible answer? I at least have provided links of studies we can discuss. Additionally there are many scientists far more educated than me who hold the same views, so it is not a matter of education. I hope you realize that.
The thread of the genetic difference between man and chimp is a good example. We could have discussed this study and its implications. We could have reasoned if there is truly enough time for a common descent in 5 million years, but I haven't read anything from you or others which wanted to go down this path. If I missed it, I will apologize in advance, just give me the post# and if I see your response (I don't live on Topix as some must to have 30,000+ posts) I will certainly give it the respect it deserves.(I mean that in a positive way). Please don't show me a response that asserted something. Give me evidence, not assertion. Then we can discuss the evidence, we can't discuss an assertion.
You aren't interested in evidence. We rule out divine intervention by way of Occam's razor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 8 min qwertypus 39,757
Stupid things to ponder ... (Feb '08) 2 hr qwertypus 8,228
**4 Syllable Word A-Z** (Jul '12) 2 hr qwertypus 1,179
Type the word Cat 2 hr aka Deja Blue 232
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr Camilla 230,625
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 2 hr Jackie 151,569
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 2 hr North Mountain 34,971