Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 199283 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#121579 Sep 2, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>It is mans inhumanity and carelessness that causes most of the problems. The God of the Bible is a gracious being. Evil has become the God of this world and many people serve the spirit of sin which is in the world. God gives everyone free will and he does allow every body to be tempted to do sin's , however, it is a matter of choice to do wrong or to believe God and follow Jesus. Yes, God created Satan, but nowhere does the scriptures indicate that he wanted the disobedience and sin. I think It just happened and it will be dealt with according to scripture. The scriptures indicate there was a beginning and God saw that everything that he had made was very good. God did not want the bad to happen as far as I can see.
so things happen out of god's control? really? so whe people say " it must be god's plan" they are just bullshitting, there is no plan of god?

good to know your god is just a bystander like everyone else. why doe she get the big bucks then?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#121580 Sep 2, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>The second sentence is a line from the movie, "Stalag 17". It is self-explanatory.
As for your first sentence, there is an old German saying:
"Yo momma wears boxer shorts."
used boxer shorts...germans are notoriously cheap...
FREE SERVANT

Tucker, GA

#121581 Sep 2, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>
so things happen out of god's control? really? so whe people say " it must be god's plan" they are just bullshitting, there is no plan of god?
good to know your god is just a bystander like everyone else. why doe she get the big bucks then?
There is a plan of salvation that is offered to all men and God is not willing that any should be lost. To be saved we must turn from our wrongdoings and believe in Jesus. Our choice to either receive or reject this salvation is only within our control. There will be a judgement when Jesus returns to this earth and vengeance will come to Lucifer (Satan) and all the angels who followed him. Those people who have served evil and the devil Satan will be cast with him and his angels into a lake of fire and torment.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#121582 Sep 2, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a plan of salvation that is offered to all men and God is not willing that any should be lost. To be saved we must turn from our wrongdoings and believe in Jesus. Our choice to either receive or reject this salvation is only within our control. There will be a judgement when Jesus returns to this earth and vengeance will come to Lucifer (Satan) and all the angels who followed him. Those people who have served evil and the devil Satan will be cast with him and his angels into a lake of fire and torment.
You're harshing my mellow man.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#121584 Sep 2, 2014
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That does not even qualify as circular, its merely the same statement repeated.
Wikipedia wrote:
... Academic Douglas Walton used the following example of a fallacious circular argument:

Wellington is in New Zealand.
Therefore, Wellington is in New Zealand...[wikipedia.com]
Therefore you have demonstrated that you cannot accurately identify a circular argument.
Chimney1 wrote:
In a circular argument, its A proves B and B proves A therefore A and B, without reference to either a third argument or objective evidence.
if 2-1 = 1 and 1+1 = 2; what evidence do you need to prove that 2 and 1 are related?
Chimney1 wrote:
You can establish whether Brooklyn is in the USA with empirical evidence, therefore its not circular.
Here is a circular argument:
A. My Book says everything within it is right
B. Because everything in my Book is right, statement A must be right
ad infinitum A B A B A B....
Yet as the expression is, it is essentially a circular argument.

As, such you have demonstrated that A CIRCULAR ARGUMENT IS A VALID ONE, regardless.
Chimney1 wrote:
And that, unfortunately, is the situation Christians (and Muslims for that matter) find themselves in regarding their respective sacred books. Some things within the books can be shown to be right. There was a city of Jericho, for example. But none of the miraculous claims regarding Jericho or anything else can be substantiated with any empirical evidence.
We know that certain types of events cannot be "proven" to have occurred historically due to the very nature of these events.

Whats your point?
Chimney1 wrote:
You go on the books' own claims to authority about their own authority, and their claims to exclude any other authority....
Thats your opinion.

Location hidden

#121585 Sep 2, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tacitus... do NOT mention the person Jesus.
Oh.

I see.

YET:

[QUOTE who=" http://thedevineevidence.com/jesus_history.ht... ;]

Tacitus verifies the Biblical account of Jesus' execution at the
hands of Pontius Pilate who governed Judea from 26-36 A.D. during the reign of Tiberius.

"CHRISTUS, THE FOUNEDER of the [Christian] name, WAS put to death by Pontius Pilate, procurator of Judea in the reign of Tiberius..." Annals XV, 44
[/QUOTE]

We know that the Hebrew name for CHRISTUS is YESHU'A; while the Anglicized form is JESUS.

So how do you justify "Tacitus... do NOT mention the person Jesus."
polymath257 wrote:
They mention what Christians believed. That doesn't fit what was asked for.
Actually, he mentioned what HE Tacitus believed.

[QUOTE who=" http://thedevineevidence.com/jesus_history.ht... ;]
"But the pernicious superstition, repressed for a time, broke out again, not only through Judea, where the mischief originated, by through the city of Rome also." Annals XV, 44
[/QUOTE]

Suggesting that he Tacitus regarded the what he heard of Jesus as a superstition etc...
polymath257 wrote:
I am not familiar with the Babylonian Talmud. Care to say *exactly* what it says? I have no idea.
Oh.

I see.
polymath257 wrote:
It isn't an interesting question to me. When *will* you set out what you think are the relevant qualities of a 'son of God'?
If it isnt an interesting question, why will you even bother to hear an answer?

Location hidden

#121586 Sep 2, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the argument
Brooklyn is not in the USA, therefore Brooklyn is not in the USA.
has exactly the same form and is just as valid logically... So your argument is NOT a proof that Brooklyn is in the USA and mine is NOT a proof that it isn't in the USA. Neither one serves to establish its conclusion.
But my aim was never to "prove" anything except that *a circular argument is an essentially valid argument and is indispensable...*

Absolute fact/ Truth WILL take the form of a circular argument.

Location hidden

#121587 Sep 2, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
In other words, you don't even know what the words mean. A proposition is *defined* to be a statement that is either true or false.
Yet:
Google.com wrote:
proposition...
a statement or assertion that expresses a judgement or opinion.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#121588 Sep 3, 2014
deutscher Nationalstolz wrote:
<quoted text>
But we invented BMW so we can decide how to pronounce it.
I know that you pronounce Jaguar in a wrong way as well because you can't pronounce a 'J'. You always say Dsch instead of J.
So pronounce Jaguar... British invention, British naming convention... or get over your Hilter youth nationalism.
And try
Disk brakes
Automatic gear box
Pneumatic tyre
Stainless Steel
Electric motor
Hydraulic press
Seat belt
You want to keep to the claim that you invented BMW then please allow others the same prerogative

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#121589 Sep 3, 2014
deutscher Nationalstolz wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not difficult to pronounce and it sounds stupid. Actually there is only one English word I can't pronounce and it is 'rural'. It is such a stupid word.
No it is not a stupid word, just because you can’t get you German trained tongue around the letter R and it comes out wuwal is no one’s problem but your own

Level 9

#121590 Sep 3, 2014
HOG_ the Hand of God wrote:
<quoted text>
But my aim was never to "prove" anything except that *a circular argument is an essentially valid argument and is indispensable...*
Well something is circular in form, but I think it is that ring you extrude your ideas through.

Level 9

#121591 Sep 3, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
No it is not a stupid word, just because you can’t get you German trained tongue around the letter R and it comes out wuwal is no one’s problem but your own
That is ironic that he has trouble with his R's since his R's seems to be running the show.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#121592 Sep 3, 2014
<quoted text>
Oh.
I see.
YET:
<quoted text>
We know that the Hebrew name for CHRISTUS is YESHU'A; while the Anglicized form is JESUS.
So how do you justify "Tacitus... do NOT mention the person Jesus."
<quoted text>
Actually, he mentioned what HE Tacitus believed.
<quoted text>
Suggesting that he Tacitus regarded the what he heard of Jesus as a superstition etc...
<quoted text>
Oh.
I see.
<quoted text>
If it isnt an interesting question, why will you even bother to hear an answer?
Yeah, shame that Pilate himself didn't verify it, huh. And a shame that even BOTH of those guys just thought he was just another regular rabble-rousing preacher. Not forgetting of course (as already pointed out) that name was fairly common at the time.

This is why you (still) have no ***contemporary*** evidence. And even if you did there's still nothing to suggest that he was anything other than a normal guy spouting off theology possibly mixed with a little Buddhist philosophy.

Come on, bub, where the heck is this "God" thing you're supposed to be providing evidence for? A deity's preachers and followers do not matter.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#121593 Sep 3, 2014
<quoted text>
Thing is that "absolute truth" can't be verified. That's WHY empiricism and the potential for falsification are necessary. Hence your "absolute facts" are nothing more than assertions that you're incapable of backing up.

You're not interested in evidence. All you do is try to present excuses as to why you don't have to present evidence.

This is why nobody takes you seriously.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#121594 Sep 3, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not our wrongdoing's. It's God's. And he blamed it on Adam and Eve.

Isiah 45-7.

Unlucky, Mikey.
FREE SERVANT

United States

#121595 Sep 3, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not our wrongdoing's. It's God's. And he blamed it on Adam and Eve.
Isiah 45-7.
Unlucky, Mikey.
Our Creator never liked evil doers Dudey. He sent his Son because he doesn't want us to perish because of our disobedience and ignorant evil doing.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#121596 Sep 3, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Our Creator never liked evil doers Dudey. He sent his Son because he doesn't want us to perish because of our disobedience and ignorant evil doing.
Sorry, but it was all a sham. There was no sacrifice. Your god just likes sticking people on sticks.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#121597 Sep 3, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Our Creator never liked evil doers Dudey. He sent his Son because he doesn't want us to perish because of our disobedience and ignorant evil doing.
Religious kooks are not logical.
The God of the OT favored several evildoers and major chunks of the NT are based on violations of "thou shalt not bear false witness."

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#121598 Sep 3, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>
That is ironic that he has trouble with his R's since his R's seems to be running the show.
ie. his arse is running the show?
FREE SERVANT

United States

#121599 Sep 3, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious kooks are not logical.
The God of the OT favored several evildoers and major chunks of the NT are based on violations of "thou shalt not bear false witness."
Do you know what repentance is? If someone continued in wrongdoing, God did not like it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any Word ! (Mar '11) 1 min Mega Monster 4,509
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 3 min Princess Hey 11,521
Word Association. (Nov '10) 12 min Mega Monster 19,208
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 15 min ilovedesigirls 7,425
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: (Apr '15) 20 min beatlesinthebog 6,924
News Students seeking sugar daddies for tuition, ren... 22 min White guilt 7
One Word (Jan '09) 23 min Mega Monster 16,283
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr CJ Rocker 192,797
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr By The Seashore 56,822
News Man arrested after 'putting his PENIS on superm... 3 hr Rev Cash Dollar 24