Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221915 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#121379 Aug 29, 2014
deutscher Nationalstolz wrote:
<quoted text>
It's German of course. It's the most beautiful language in the world.
Second is Dutch and Dutch is my second mother tongue. Danish is good as well.
English is one of the worst languages. It is the language of American ghetto wannabe street Gangsters like eminem.
German is a language for educated People.
English is the lingua franca of the world.
It is the international language for the sciences.
It has substituted the old Latin in science.
Hence it is the language of educated people.

German plays no serious role therein.
German even never has played any role therein. Not in music, not in the arts, not in science, not in the church.

Get used to it.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#121380 Aug 29, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No English isn't the question....Evolution vs. Creation is.
Jawhol, Herr Schweinhundt!

Level 7

Location hidden

#121381 Aug 29, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
So you did, I am surprised.
On the parity issue you asked why. To be honest the question is not totally answered yet, but the fact is that we know that our current "laws of physics" would not work in the concentration of energy that occurred at the time of the Big Bang. Pair particle production probably was not one hundred percent at the time of the Bang. That is the purpose of accelerators such as CERN. To know what happened in the early universe we need to be able to replicate at least some of that environment. The only way to learn is for research to continue.
We need further research of course. However it should include such explorations as - What is "environment" itself? How did it come to be? Was/is it always there?

Again, the concept of a "big bang" is filled with mystery. But to me, the question of what lit the match is the greater puzzle.

Since: Jul 14

Location hidden

#121382 Aug 29, 2014
"English is the lingua franca of the world.

German even never has played any role therein. Not in music, not in the arts, not in science, not in the church.

Get used to it. "

Music and arts are not important.
German was the most important language of science in the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century. Afterwards Brits, French, Americans and Russians destroyed Germany and Americans additionally destroyed science with their stupid childish language. Without English science would be way more interesting today. It's a shame to read papers with interesting ideas in an unconcise language like English. Only German is concise enough for decent Science. Science benefits from the German Science of the early 20th century until today. Without the silly envy of French, Americans and Brits we would already be on the mars.

Even French is more appropriate for science than English.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#121383 Aug 29, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think we can say that emotions and intelligence can arise naturally by themselves. It seems to me that they are an intangible part of the brain. It wasn't me who brought this up. I just responded to a post.

(brain damage in an individual can lower intelligence and change emotional patterns.)

I can't see how this supports intelligence arising naturally.
Well as you already observe yourself, emotions and intelligence seems to be an intangible part of the brain. And the brain is a biochemically functioning organ. Sounds very natural to me.
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
(The larger brains that a species have the more complex their mental interactions tend to be.)
I can't agree with this either. Animals with larger brains than humans are not more complex.
You are correct on this. But the correction on it quite doesn't serve your case: http://www.ted.com/talks/suzana_herculano_hou...
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
If something is immaterial it need not be created (as we just discussed above) but it doesn't logically follow that immaterial things have no effect on the material. Light for instance is immaterial yet it can heat and even move things (solar sail). It can cause plants to function.
I think you playing with words here.
Light is not matter. For sure. Hence your adjective "immaterial" could apply.
But ABOVE you were talking about "natural" phenomena.
Why all of a sudden this change in terminology?
For light is a "natural" phenomenon for sure.
Explain please.
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
Also your postulation that G-d needs a creator will end in a logical dead end as there would have to be an endless creations of gods.
INDEED!
But it follows logically from your never ending quest for "answers" being ask to evolutionists ("why is there an universe?", "did the universe created itself?", "did the universe create life?" or "did life created itself"). And are you saying that all of a sudden this regress stops when it comes to god?
what was that called again?.... ah. yes, "measuring with double standards".
cancersuxs

Faribault, MN

#121384 Aug 29, 2014
Evolution is fact and creation is cult myth.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#121385 Aug 29, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think we can say that emotions and intelligence can arise naturally by themselves. It seems to me that they are an intangible part of the brain. It wasn't me who brought this up. I just responded to a post.
<quoted text>
Brain damage in an individual can lower intelligence and change emotional patterns.
I can't see how this supports intelligence arising naturally.
<quoted text>
The larger brains that a species have the more complex their mental interactions tend to be.
I can't agree with this either. Animals with larger brains than humans are not more complex.
If something is immaterial it need not be created (as we just discussed above) but it doesn't logically follow that immaterial things have no effect on the material. Light for instance is immaterial yet it can heat and even move things (solar sail). It can cause plants to function.
Also your postulation that G-d needs a creator will end in a logical dead end as there would have to be an endless creations of gods.
Please clean up your posts. You can break up the quotes by manually entering [quote] to start a quote from someone and [/quote] to end it. Except you must use all caps when typing "QUOTE".

This is such a hot mess I don't know how to break it up.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#121386 Aug 29, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
English is the lingua franca of the world.
Get used to it.
I beg to differ on music. Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms the three B's, all spoke German. As did Mozart. I don't think you could find four musicians that spoke the same language that had as large of an effect on music. And let's not forget Wagner.

Level 7

Location hidden

#121387 Aug 29, 2014
"English is the lingua franca of the world.
Get used to it. "
Music and arts are not important.
German was the most important language of science in the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century. Afterwards Brits, French, Americans and Russians destroyed Germany and Americans additionally destroyed science with their stupid childish language. Without English science would be way more interesting today. It's a shame to read papers with interesting ideas in an unconcise language like English. Only German is concise enough for decent Science. Science benefits from the German Science of the early 20th century until today. Without the silly envy of French, Americans and Brits we would already be on the mars.
Even French is more appropriate for science than English.
When you alleged that music and arts are not important, you lost the attention of most of the civilized world.

Now, we have looked at your dossier and we have a few - er - questions. Walk this way.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#121388 Aug 29, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>When you alleged that music and arts are not important, you lost the attention of most of the civilized world.
Now, we have looked at your dossier and we have a few - er - questions. Walk this way.
If he thinks the English language is so horrible, one wonders why he bothered to learn it.

I think he think he lost the attention of a couple of guys in the Ozarks too. But, your call on whether Branson represents art or music.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#121389 Aug 29, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>When you alleged that music and arts are not important, you lost the attention of most of the civilized world.
Music and the arts were not important also to the Nazi forebears after which he takes so well.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#121390 Aug 29, 2014
<quoted text>
It's German of course. It's the most beautiful language in the world.
Second is Dutch and Dutch is my second mother tongue. Danish is good as well.
English is one of the worst languages. It is the language of American ghetto wannabe street Gangsters like eminem.
German is a language for educated People.
German is the language of Sauerkraut eating butt munchers, everybody knows that.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#121391 Aug 29, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>If he thinks the English language is so horrible, one wonders why he bothered to learn it.
I think he think he lost the attention of a couple of guys in the Ozarks too. But, your call on whether Branson represents art or music.
I don't think he had an answer to this the last time I posted it:

http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/awfgrmlg....

With a language like that it is a wonder that all of the children from German are not sexually confused.

Level 7

Location hidden

#121392 Aug 29, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>If he thinks the English language is so horrible, one wonders why he bothered to learn it.
Oddly, Adolph Hitler tried to get into art school, but was refused. If only..........
wondering

Morris, OK

#121393 Aug 30, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Please clean up your posts. You can break up the quotes by manually entering [quote] to start a quote from someone and [/quote] to end it. Except you must use all caps when typing "QUOTE".
This is such a hot mess I don't know how to break it up.
well i must say i am impressed. in the last 15 hours you did not attack not one poster with name calling or other nonsense as normal. you went after their posts instead. that is how a debate should be. kudos subduction zone.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#121394 Aug 30, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Jawhol, Herr Schweinhundt!
German, I quote deutscher Nationalstolz, "the language of the educated":
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#121395 Aug 30, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Oddly, Adolph Hitler tried to get into art school, but was refused. If only..........
In that case the person who then took his place at the Art School would have been frustrated and started the war.

Location hidden

#121396 Aug 30, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
German is the language of Sauerkraut eating butt munchers, everybody knows that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1oPPGlvNkp0XX
This video is stupid no German would speak like this. This is German
https://www.youtube.com/watch...

Of course Americans only know some random German words like "Achtung, Achtung" from stupid WW2 movies

Location hidden

#121397 Aug 30, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
With a language like that it is a wonder that all of the children from German are not sexually confused.
That proves how uneducted Mark Twain was. German isn't just a SVO language like English. It is a SPOV2 language.
Actually the SVO structure isn't that common in languages. Most language (75% of all languages) have a SOV structure. That means in 75% of all languages are the Verbs at the end of the sentences and then mark Twain is complaining that the verb comes at the end of a sentence in German? That's ridiculous. The English structure is an exception not the German one.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#121398 Aug 30, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It is funny how he perceives it.
But there are several mistakes in his observations, for instance "der Hund" (the dog) is masculine indeed. And horse ("das Pferd") of neuter gender indeed. But we also have the feminine forms "die Hündin" or "die Fähe" (both meaning "the bitch"). Also we have the form Rüde (male dog), which is lacking in English. Hence, "der Hund" is merely a class-name.
The horse comes with the forms "der Hengst" (the stallion) and "die Stute" (the mare). Again "das Pferd" is merely a class-name.

Interesting enough, old English had the almost same grammatical system with 3 genders, 4 (earlier even 5) cases: "Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote; The droghte of Marche hath perced to the roote" (William Chaucer,~1400, opening sentence of the Canterbury Tales).
Here we read: "that Aprile with HIS shoures soote" (That April with its showers sweet): Aprille is masculin, hence "his". The adjective "soote" and the noun "roote" come with -e endings due to the dative case - which Mark Twain was mocking about too.

("When April with its sweet showers has pierced the drought of March to the root [=thoroughly]").

The only remnants of the case system in modern English are the pronouns ("I" = nominative, "my" = genetive, "mine" = dative) and the -s ending in "father's book" (genitive). In Dutch the situation is about the same as in English, it dropped its case system entirely. In that respect, grammatically, Dutch is much closer to English than to German.

Fortunately Twain never travelled to Czechia. Czech has 4 genders, 7 cases and within each gender several declinations. For instance: "student" (student):

Case: Singular: Plural: English:
nominative student studentí student
genitive studenta studentú student's, students'
dative studentovi studentúm to, on behalf of the student(s)
accusative studenta studenty student
vocative studente! studente! student(s)!
locative studentovi studentech towards the student(s)
instrumental studentem studenty by means of the student(s)

NOT mentioning the feminine forms (both in singular and plural).

The use of a case system makes a language extremely concise:

"Jdu do mesta autem otce" (5 words) for: "I drive to the city with father's car" (9 words).
And you can pretty much freely change word order:

"Do mesta jdu autem otce" (I drive to the city with father's car, not his bike).
"Autem otce jdu do mesta" (I drive to the city with father's car and not somewhere else).

But, promise, I shall not further bother you with my obsession with language ;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 2 min SweLL GirL 33,353
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 3 min SweLL GirL 8,318
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 4 min SweLL GirL 10,924
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 11 min Area-51-Alert 23,992
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 20 min -Sprocket- 13,505
Word association (Jun '07) 25 min -Sprocket- 6,704
A to Z songs by title or group! (Dec '16) 46 min Zani Gray 2,130
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr Sharlene45 4,620
Which Poster Are You Thinking About Right Now? 2 hr Finny Ferret Got ... 11
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 hr Mister_ E 220,783