Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Read more

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#121110 Aug 28, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm,.... I never get a straight answer to that simple question. Because you are too cowardly to answer since your belief system requires you to believe that the universe made itself and then made life, and that is unscientific, moreover, it's comically stupid
The answer has been given AT LEAST a hundred times: NO.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#121111 Aug 28, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>The last two statements you attribute to me are not mine. You are intellectually constipated. Go away.
I may have screwed up the quote tags. It happens occasionally. My apologies.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#121112 Aug 28, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
Why take a chance?
Pacal wager fail.

What if you are following the wrong God. There have been many thousands of gods in the history of the Earth, perhaps millions. Why would the god of a bunch of ignorant goat herders be the right god? Worse yet there are countless sects of Christianity. Many of them claim other sects are going to hell. What if even if you picked the right god, highly highly unlikely, what if you picked the wrong sect of Christianity? The odds are huge that even if there is a god that you will be going to hell too.

And in fact you may be going to a worse hell. Many gods are extra cruel to believers in other gods.

Why take the chance?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#121113 Aug 28, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
it will be easy for the muslims to take the US over, at least they wont have any trouble with the athiests....the athiests don't have anything to defend, piece of cake....a handful of scimitar swirling muslims will lop off the heads of the athiests, heck the athiests will line up for their turn. Good thing most of the people living in the South are believers, it will take longer for the muslims to destroy us.
Damn. You fruitloops are priceless.

the Earth Clod

#121114 Aug 28, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Did the universe make itself then make life?... yes or no
Did the universe create itself then create life?.....yes or no
Did the universe just happen , then life just happened?....yes or no
Did a creator create the universe and all life,..yes or no
Did the universe make itself then make life? NO.
Did the universe create itself then create life? NO, the word create is wrong and life emerged out of the conditions within the universe.
Did the universe just happen? We don't know and you don't know. Because you have not a shred of proof for your god.
Did life just happen? NO.
Did a creator create the universe and all life? NO. Unless you come with evidence for it.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#121115 Aug 28, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
You can argue over the meaning of evolution if you want, bottom line for me is
irrelevant.

Just like all your claims.

(shrug)
messianic114 wrote:
We have been culturing bacteria in labs for
So now you're back to repeating fallacies we refuted last month. And the month before that. And the month before that. And...(etc)
messianic114 wrote:
Are there any fossils of a chimp like ancestor to be found?
Why do you care?

You don't.
messianic114 wrote:
I believe
Doesn't matter.

Never did.

If it makes you happy then bully for you. But quite obviously reality doesn't give a f ck. If it did you wouldn't need to break the 9th Commandment every time you post.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#121116 Aug 28, 2014
dragoon70056 wrote:
<quoted text>
Chuck Norris.
Ick. He's more like Satan, except real.

Shame, as I still think Chuck Norris facts are mildly funny. Oh well.

the Earth Clod

#121117 Aug 28, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
what evidence do you have that the universe created itself? a thought or a theory(which cannot be tested or replicated). there is no solid scientific evidence. it all falls on thoughts and beliefs.
some believe the BBT and some believe in a creator.
Any question about the universe creating itself is senseless and superfluous because, first, the word "create" is wrong and, second, the idea that the universe is self-containing is only one out of many rival theories, like the multiverse and an everlasting universe that expands, rebounds to a very dense state of energy, re-expands etc.

For the BBT there is at least compelling empirical evidence and for God there is not even a shred of evidence.

the Earth Clod

#121118 Aug 28, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
I said where did it come from, evolve is not a source! tree rings! where did the information for the tree come from?
Already answered many times, esp. by Polymath.
For once in your life: DARE to go into his arguments and just stop copycatting your own restricted repertoire of dully questions.
BE A MAN.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#121119 Aug 28, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Damn. You fruitloops are priceless.
thanks.....Captain Crunch is pretty good too.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#121120 Aug 28, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
it will be easy for the muslims to take the US over, at least they wont have any trouble with the athiests....the athiests don't have anything to defend, piece of cake....a handful of scimitar swirling muslims will lop off the heads of the athiests, heck the athiests will line up for their turn. Good thing most of the people living in the South are believers, it will take longer for the muslims to destroy us.
Sure atheists have something to defend - the First Amendment. Most American fundies want that destroyed.

Happened across this recently, mildly interesting:

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/25/calling_the_c...

Orlando

#121121 Aug 28, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
Perhaps the best thing that the atheist, agnostic and RATIONAL theists (Christian, Muslim and otherwise) can do is to sit back and let all you "God-fearing, gun-totin', the 'still-beating heart of my enemy in my teeth' Christians" and the "scimitar swirling muslims" destroy each other!

The rest of us will sit on the sidelines, and shake our heads at your foolishness.

Your idea of "holy" is a twisted characterization of what the word means to those of us not so indoctrinated. Enjoy your stay in hell.

Orlando

#121122 Aug 28, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure atheists have something to defend - the First Amendment. Most American fundies want that destroyed.
If you'll pardon the use of the phrase: "Thank God".

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#121123 Aug 28, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Mr. The Dude, cant click on links in topix, too many weirdos and their viruses.

Orlando

#121124 Aug 28, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Mr. The Dude, cant click on links in topix, too many weirdos and their viruses.
Google the headline:

"Atheists have their number: How the Christian right is hastening religionís decline "

Research suggests Americans raised in Christian households are increasingly shunning the faith of their parents

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#121125 Aug 28, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
Salon - while liberal - is safe and not weirdos.
TheHotdaylight

Hemet, CA

#121126 Aug 28, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
I WILL VOUCH FR THE LINK. I have Salon.com saved to my favorites.
wondering

Sunset, TX

#121127 Aug 28, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, you asked about the universe before, not the earth. You do realize they are quite different things, right? Also that the Earth is only about a third the age of the universe?
<quoted text>
Your phrase 'created itself' is meaningless. The Big Bang theory is a well-tested description of the expansion and changes in our universe from a very early time. We *know* that the laws of physics as we understand them break down if we go back to very small fractions of a second into this expansion. Because of that, any 'cause' for the universe isn't testable at this point. But there are several good possibilities (all untested):
1. Time starts at the same point as the universe, so the universe is uncaused.
2. There was a previous, contracting universe before ours along with a 'Big Bounce'. This is the prediction of Loop Quantum Gravity. That previous universe existed infinitely into the past and was hence uncaused.
3. There is a larger multiverse and our universe is a very small, four dimensional (three space, one time) part of this higher dimensional structure (11 dimensions seems to be correct for the math to work). This is the picture obtained in string theories. There are two main variants of this one:
3a. The universe is a result of a quantum fluctuation and is hence uncaused.
3b. The universe is the result of the collision of 'branes' in this multiverse.
It is also the case that time, as it exists in the multiverse may have little or nothing to do with time as it exists in our universe. The multiverse as a whole would be uncaused.
correct should have said universe not earth.

1) of course
2) we have already discussed this . you said you doubt it
3) we have already discussed multi-universe and again you said you doubt it.
wondering

Sunset, TX

#121128 Aug 28, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is information whenever there is interaction of matter with itself. The way that atoms react to each other carries and *is* information. The fact that an oxygen atom will react differently to hydrogen than a carbon atom will *is* information.
In other words, information existed LONG before life came on the scene. The very molecules that make up the universe are filled with information. For example, a water molecule is information that water exists in the environment. Another molecule that reacts with water can carry information about the existence of that water by its reaction. That is how we can test for water in an environment.
The point is that information is inherent in causal reactions: any time two things interact and change each other, their new condition is information about that previous reaction.
before first life there was nothing but chemicals. are you suggesting chemicals gave life information?
messianic114

Calgary, Canada

#121129 Aug 28, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
Not if they outlaw guns.
I wouldn't count on the atheists to line up, I think they will fight or convert.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Things to do while waiting........ 4 min Alias-Trish-MOI -... 341
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 4 min Jennifer Renee 10,252
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 5 min Brandiiiiiiii 4,183
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 6 min Mega Monster 17,992
OFFBEAT.keepAword.DropAword.2011edition (Oct '11) 7 min say it aint so 18,473
News 4-Year-Old Girl Rides Philly Bus Searching for ... 11 min DILF 1
Make a Story / 4 Words Only (Nov '08) 12 min DILF 25,682
Goats Milk with Princess (Jan '10) 33 min Billy R 46,439
Poll Can single Men be friends with Married Women? (Jun '12) 38 min Proud To Be Trina 187
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Tom2Tone 159,884
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr TALLYHO 8541 39,983
Word Association (Jun '10) 1 hr Mega Monster 26,960
More from around the web