Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 195478 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#121088 Aug 28, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not an attempt. That's simply reproducing. Reproducing will not help bacteria survive past their own lifespan. The LINEAGE either survives or it does not. Unless you can demonstrate bacteria are intelligent then they aren't purposely attempting anything.
Cue Jim Ryan territory.
<quoted text>
Indeed, plants show GREAT survival instinct when I introduce them to my chainsaw and lawnmower.
Apparently it's not very good.
<quoted text>
So you're either claiming that intelligence is required to OVERCOME fear of individual survival which means going AGAINST survival instinct. Or that they're stupid. Either way you're going against Wolfie's claims, and this doesn't matter anyway as the organisms you're referring to are animal and thus have a base intelligence.
<quoted text>
Already have. You just ignored it or are too stupid to take it into account. Figure that's already an integral part of your modus operandi. An instinct, if you will.
The last two statements you attribute to me are not mine. You are intellectually constipated. Go away.

Level 7

Location hidden

#121090 Aug 28, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You''re confused, quantum mechanics is the explanation of things that it seem to defy the known laws of physics.
No speaka da English?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#121091 Aug 28, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Yup.
Yo Mac! <high five>

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#121092 Aug 28, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
silly, it has been translated, from the book of Mark....google it...Bill didn't write this, nor did Cecile B. Demille.
Ah, yes. "Mark".

Level 7

Location hidden

#121093 Aug 28, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I hope you don't gamble. Knowing bohart as I do, that is like failing to pick the winner in a one horse race.
I confess all I know about "bohart" is that I support his/her statement. If you'd care to spill the beans, I'll switch to slot machines.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#121094 Aug 28, 2014
athiests are scary people....who do they pray to at night before bedtime?
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#121095 Aug 28, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
as I said you can call me all the names you want. i out grew letting that childish game bother me along time ago( I bel;ieve in grade school). it shows more about you than it shows about me.
so lets run your belief down;
1) you believe the universe created itself from pretty much nothing
2) you believe either
a) life created itself from pretty much nothing or
b) the self-created universe self-created life from pretty much nothing
3) you believe life created information itself when no prior information existed(again nothing)
4) so what you believe is just about everything just happened from nothing.
yes that about sums up what you believe.
creationists believe in a deity, that is everywhere but seems to be made of nothing. you both should realize what you believe does not make it so or right. all it means is that you chose to believe that.
we don't know and we may never know how the universe or life began/started and that is the most honest answer anyone can give without letting their belief interfere.
Let's investigate this:
1) according to cosmology, the onset of the universe was a state of highly dense and hot energy. Highly dense and hot energy? Everything BUT "nothing".
2a) according to abiogenesis, the first life arose out of abiotic organic compounds through biochemical processes, driven by either solar and/or geothermal energy. Organic compounds? Biochemistry? Solar and/or geothermal energy? Everything BUT "nothing".
2b) according to science, life nor the universe "creates" - hence a superfluous point.
3) life basically is biochemistry. This kind of biochemistry is also observed in, for instance, experiments on the self-replication of RNA. In those experiments the RNA spontaneously recombinated in ever more complex RNA strains. As RNA is a hereditary molecule, the accumulation of "information" has been demonstrated.
4) NO.

Level 7

Location hidden

#121096 Aug 28, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
I suggest you read my new book, "Thank God I'm An Atheist". It blows the lid off the "god" scam. But when it comes to outselling The Bible, I know it doesn't have a prayer.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#121097 Aug 28, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
You and your ilk are still cowards..sniveling cowards,...."oh you've asked a poorly worded question, and I'm far too dainty to answer"
Ha,Ha,Ha,
The number of posts dodged by you are countless.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#121098 Aug 28, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
Believers are the scary people. they are the ones that pray at night before bedtime.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#121099 Aug 28, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, outstanding!
And "Ode to Joy", yet!
Bookmarked.
The same YouTuber has another video on the evolution of the bacterial flagellum . It shows how Michael Behe was wrong when he claimed it was Irreducibly Complex. In that one I apologize for the music. It is by Boston.

The beauty of the video is that it too is relatively simple. When people complain I ask why they did not go to the link provided. It is a much much more thorough article that goes through the same steps. And if that is not good enough they can check out the over 200 linked peer reviewed articles that that was based upon. For your entertainment:

And a link to the paper:

http://tinyurl.com/njdwh
messianic114

Calgary, Canada

#121100 Aug 28, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
blue eyes, new trait, becoming lactose tolerant etc. etc. is evolution.
"you don't believe there can be enough minute changes over time to account for the complexity required to add a new structure (like a wing from a limb)"
where do you think the "limb" itself came from? do you think it was always there or through changes it evolved to be a limb?
You can argue over the meaning of evolution if you want, bottom line for me is change is limited. We are not seeing the change required to account for the diversity or complexity of life on this planet in 5 billion years.
We have been culturing bacteria in labs for over 150 years. In this time we have had approx 4 million generations of bacteria. We have not seen any change to something else which must happen for evolution to explain what we have now.(Complex multi-celled organisms) At some point we have to go from single celled to multi-celled, then celled dedicated to a certain function. If we have had no such change in 4 million generations, how long is needed for a chimp like animal to turn into a human at 15 years per generation? 60 million years? What about 24 years per generation as we see now in chimps? 96 million years? We are already back into the Mesozoic era. Are there any fossils of a chimp like ancestor to be found?
I believe G-d created all living things after their kind. Any minute changes that have happened is part of the original design's ability to adapt. But this is limited. A cat cannot change into a dog no matter how much it needs to adapt. This is called extinction.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#121101 Aug 28, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
so are you guys suggesting that God did not create the earth, and rested on the 7th day?
It is completely irrelevant for me.
The only thing I care about is the scientific explanations of the forming of the earth.
These are sound and relevant and backed by considerable empirical evidence.
Science performs better in any random few decades than your religion in its entire 4,100 years of existence. That record caused me to put my cards on science pertaining the question how to explain the universe, world and life.
Your bible to me is nothing more than it is: a bronze age mythology book by some random desert dwelling, semi-nomadic tribe.
Interesting to read if you want to know how a bronze age culture perceived and conceived the world around - but nothing more and excelled by some mythology books that are much more interesting.

Alpharetta, GA

#121102 Aug 28, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I suggest you read my new book, "Thank God I'm An Atheist". It blows the lid off the "god" scam. But when it comes to outselling The Bible, I know it doesn't have a prayer.
that's pretty good stuff...I was afraid you had lost your comedic touch, what with all the recent negativism on topix...don't let the naysayers get you down...you're no slouch.

Alpharetta, GA

#121103 Aug 28, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Believers are the scary people. they are the ones that pray at night before bedtime.
Why take a chance?

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Level 9

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#121104 Aug 28, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
Chuck Norris.

Level 7

Location hidden

#121105 Aug 28, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
Why take a chance?
W.C. Fields was caught praying while on his death bed. When his atheist past was brought up to him, he said, "Just looking for loopholes".

Alpharetta, GA

#121106 Aug 28, 2014
it will be easy for the muslims to take the US over, at least they wont have any trouble with the athiests....the athiests don't have anything to defend, piece of cake....a handful of scimitar swirling muslims will lop off the heads of the athiests, heck the athiests will line up for their turn. Good thing most of the people living in the South are believers, it will take longer for the muslims to destroy us.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#121107 Aug 28, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
You and your ilk are still cowards..sniveling cowards,...."oh you've asked a poorly worded question, and I'm far too dainty to answer"
Ha,Ha,Ha,
And yet, you've been answered.

Stop blowing the irony meters Bo.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#121108 Aug 28, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh yes,..your evidence. Zero,..your beliefs,...100 percent
And the LYING continues.
"Zero evidence for abiogenesis".
Go back to my and Polymaths posts on that where we extensively proved that there is a LOT of evidence for MANY steps in the pathway form abiotic conditions to the first life.

ALL THOSE POSTS have been SYSTEMATICALLY been ignored by you, we haven't seen ANY ANSWER of you on those. NOTHING. NADA. That makes you a COWARD, daring not to admit you're wrong but just ducking his head and thinking that the

You are not only a LIAR by saying things that just ARE NOT TRUE but you are also DISHONEST by ignoring the posts of your opponents in debate and re-appearing some days later, feigning as if nothing happened at all. This also makes you a IMPOLITE and ANNOYING little boy who only needs a good whacking on his bare arse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
One Word (Jan '09) 4 min Skye Towns 15,159
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 5 min Skye Towns 17,143
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 10 min CJ Rocker 189,307
News updated Idaho official: Kobe Bryant's remarks h... 13 min Sam 3
Answer a question with a question (Apr '15) 14 min Princess Hey 1,800
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 17 min CJ Rocker 2,051
News 'Jesus' arrested in Apple store; his cross was ... 18 min Dr Wu 1
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 59 min Princess Hey 144,144
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 3 hr Rider on the Storm 5,344
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 3 hr 8541 MARINE 55,697