Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223289 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#120837 Aug 26, 2014
TedHOhio wrote:
<quoted text> The idea of information being unable to be created by another other than an intelligent source has been debunked for a long time. You really need to catch up. What Creationists do with this argument is pretty much typical obfuscation. An open mind is one, when presented with the evidence, adopts it. Since you have yet to present any actual evidence, my open mind is quite safe. You, on the other hand, like to accuse other people of being close-minded, yet you are the one who when presented with the evidence, denies it time and time again. I think that's Creationist tactic #41, accuse your opponents of using the precise tactics you are using to confuse any issue.... or is it #42? I don't think I have the latest playbook.
This is getting a bit tiresome, but if you think I support Creationism you haven't been reading my comments on the subject. I am not religious.
Further, the self-satisfied notion that an "intelligent" trigger has been debunked is not evidence of an open mind. Like so many others, you speak with a sense of smug certainty about issues where there is as yet no basis for certainty.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#120838 Aug 26, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Here we go again! I don't have a "god". Pay attention!
If there is anything I dislike more than a hyper-religious zealot, it is a "holier-than-thou" atheist.
Or a Christian religious zealot who claims to have no religion, just a personal relationship with his magic sky daddy.
Cordwainer Trout

Elizabethtown, KY

#120839 Aug 26, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I would argue that the "nothing" from which spontaneous things can emerge is actually "something". We simply don't know what it is.
It's God. Haven't you learned anything from watching Pat Robertson 24/7?

The energy you put into posting on boards of a hundred thousand plus with intricate argumentations you actually believe people read can only be explained by atheism... an unfounded faith in humans.

Level 7

Location hidden

#120840 Aug 26, 2014
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Or a Christian religious zealot who claims to have no religion, just a personal relationship with his magic sky daddy.
GUARDS! Take this one away!

Damn! You are such a halfwit!

Level 7

Location hidden

#120841 Aug 26, 2014
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
<quoted text>
It's God. Haven't you learned anything from watching Pat Robertson 24/7?
The energy you put into posting on boards of a hundred thousand plus with intricate argumentations you actually believe people read can only be explained by atheism... an unfounded faith in humans.
In 1938 the state of Wyoming produced enough dry edible beans to feed every man, woman, and child in the nation.

Level 5

#120842 Aug 26, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>GUARDS! Take this one away!
Damn! You are such a halfwit!
Ha!! Nailed it! huh?
Cordwainer Trout

Elizabethtown, KY

#120843 Aug 26, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>In 1938 the state of Wyoming produced enough dry edible beans to feed every man, woman, and child in the nation.
And God in His infinite Wisdom introduced climate change and non-Democrat agricultural policies refusing to dump tons of sugar into the ocean and dye potatoes with poison so they couldn't be marketed.
TheMorningSunlig ht

Los Angeles, CA

#120844 Aug 26, 2014
Bad presentation of wit and comedy.../\
10:27 AM pst

Level 7

Location hidden

#120845 Aug 26, 2014
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha!! Nailed it! huh?
Yep, I think I was pretty much spot on.

Level 5

#120846 Aug 26, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, I think I was pretty much spot on.
You are a legend in your own mind!

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#120847 Aug 26, 2014
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I did in a previous life.

Level 7

Location hidden

#120848 Aug 26, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I did in a previous life.
It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Level 7

Location hidden

#120849 Aug 26, 2014
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a legend in your own mind!
True, I'm one of my most ardent admirers. In particular, I appreciate my modesty.

“I am evolving as fast as I can”

Since: Jan 08

Brooklyn, in Dayton OH now

#120850 Aug 26, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>This is getting a bit tiresome, but if you think I support Creationism you haven't been reading my comments on the subject. I am not religious.
Further, the self-satisfied notion that an "intelligent" trigger has been debunked is not evidence of an open mind. Like so many others, you speak with a sense of smug certainty about issues where there is as yet no basis for certainty.
Years of looking for an intelligent cause, 150+ years of whining about evolution not needing a deity's action ... it's not smugness, it's also not certainty. It's confidence that if what we have learned through scientific methodology is wrong, it's not some arm-chair Creationist who insists he's not a Creationist who is going to figure it out. It's going to be other scientists who will continue looking, searching, and explaining the world around us without needing to invoke the actions of a capricious deity.

So far, what has required a deity for an adequate and useful explanation? Nothing, has it? Be honest, if you can.

Oh yes, there are things we do not know and there are things we might never know with any degree of certainty. But a supernatural answer has yet to work for anything. You can keep calling yourself some other label besides a Creationist; however, you act like one, you post like one and you respond like one when challenged ... you might not be one, but a difference that makes no difference is no difference.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#120851 Aug 26, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I think you've gone off course a bit. We are speaking of what might have triggered the so-called Big Bang. That is the energy source to which I allude. Of course the question then becomes, where did that "trigger" come from? And so on ad infinitum.
And you are assuming there *is* such an energy source. To have a trigger, there must be a previous time. But in the standard BB theory, time *begins* at the same point as the universe.
Abiogenesis has never produced molecules that showed a survival instinct, thus it cannot be considered a reflection of how actual organic life began.
No molecule has a survival instinct, not even the ones in living things. So your objection is irrelevant. The question is whether *collections* of molecules undergoing reactions can show a tendency to maintain internal state. We know that such is possible because we see it everyday in living things: certain collections of molecules will maintain internal state through a variety of mechanisms (homeostasis). That *is* the 'survival instinct'. The question is how that tendency originally came about.
Also, when you speak of abiogenesis, you are speaking about a different question. Abiogenesis seeks to learn how life began, while the trigger of the Big Bang seeks to discover how anything began.
And neither is directly relevant to the theory of evolution, which considers how species change over time and not the origin of life.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#120852 Aug 26, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Your link is to a book, which I don't have access to at present.
There are free versions on the web.
I've seen theories that involve quantum mechanics. But in my opinion quantum mechanics makes a better case for a "god" than it does for atheism.
And how does it do that? Certainly, no deity assumption is present in quantum mechanics. It also undermines the common assumption that everything must have a cause.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#120853 Aug 26, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I would argue that the "nothing" from which spontaneous things can emerge is actually "something". We simply don't know what it is.
That is an assumption that you have no evidence for.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#120854 Aug 26, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your bronze age mythology doped mind seems not to know much about geology.
I already knew more about it as a 12 year old boy, judged by this crap.
You think that in order to find old fossils or old earth layers you always have to dig thousands of feet. It isn't so. The ignorance gulps like goo out of your troubled mind.
Go and read a geology 101 level book before you making an utter fool out of yourself.
And who was the other idiot who voted "brilliant"?
Why does creationism lead to inane and insane idiocy?
And yet you add nothing of interest to what I said. Just your normal name calling.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#120855 Aug 26, 2014
Woolly mammoths still lived when the Great Pyramid of Giza was constructed. The pyramid was completed in 2540 BC.. The last known population of woolly mammoths remained on Wrangel Island in the Arctic Ocean until 4,000 years ago.
TheHotDaylight

Los Angeles, CA

#120856 Aug 26, 2014
This monastery will not remain unlit.
"Now scientists think that even this extravagant census of the universe might be as out-of-date as the five-planet cosmos that Galileo inherited from the ancients. Astronomers have compiled evidence that what we’ve always thought of as the actual universe—me, you, this magazine, planets, stars, galaxies, all the matter in space—represents a mere 4 percent of what’s actually out there. The rest they call, for want of a better word, dark: 23 percent is something they call dark matter, and 73 percent is something even more mysterious, which they call dark energy."

“We have a complete inventory of the universe,” Sean Carroll, a California Institute of Technology cosmologist, has said,“and it makes no sense.”

Go ahead,
Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yes, I got back on! 4 min Suezanne 5
What are badges and what do they mean 5 min Zom XIII 4
What's one thing you appreciate in your life? (Apr '17) 6 min Suezanne 719
Caught on video 3 9 min Suezanne 330
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 15 min Bureau Of Hurt Fe... 35,335
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 35 min Concerned_American 151,009
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 59 min Alain Vain 6,101
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 3 hr HashTagME2 6,994
My confession 4 hr Zom XIII 21
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 6 hr Alain Vain 16,591