Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 204794 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#120043 Aug 13, 2014
KeepCalmNcarryON wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank You sir,
and YOU DON'T have to...
I have not a clue what the funny thing with the timing is, but it isn't that "fine tuning" thing either.
It's just a something that goes on everyday that just ROCKS! It's an efficiency thing I guess.
Life is just more efficient, pleasant, better quality.
It's all good. It doesn't matter to the ToE or offer any other possible, let alone better explanation.
Just got off the phone with a doctor that scares the shit out of me.
Yep! definitely better. Continuance to better health.
As John Lennon used to sing: "Whatever gets you thru the night,'salright"
FREE SERVANT

Fairfax, VA

#120044 Aug 13, 2014
KeepCalmNcarryON wrote:
<quoted text>
With all due respect to your sentiment,
Irrelevant to this discussion at this time.
9:49 AM pst
I thought you were talking about a place where mankind will live after this earth. I don't think man will live anywhere in this universe other than on this earth for any extended period of time. I believe this whole heaven and earth was created together and it will pass away all together someday.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#120045 Aug 13, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Christian Taliban says "Yes".
Taliban? You must be one of them, for the atheist. The evidence is seen in England to date.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#120046 Aug 13, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Here you are proving me correct, cloaking your beliefs with pseudo science , thanks
How so?

Oh wait, you don't even have the ability to distinguish between the two.(shrug)
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#120047 Aug 13, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
your first paragraph is pointless and evidence less
your last sentence is fact,
Again, how would you know?

Keep dodging, Bo.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#120048 Aug 13, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, no, no, he was trampled accidentally by a brontosaur who didn't pay attention.
Hey man, I maintain that if a stranger tries to stick their hands between yer missus' legs it, ain't gonna be nuthin' accidental about the whole thing!

That was just Mr Bronto's excuse, is all. I didn't buy it and neither did God!
KeepCalmNcarryON

Los Angeles, CA

#120049 Aug 13, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I thought you were talking about a place where mankind will live after this earth. I don't think man will live anywhere in this universe other than on this earth for any extended period of time. I believe this whole heaven and earth was created together and it will pass away all together someday.
You could be right about that Bro, but as long as I'm alive and that clock is runnin', i'm respecting the reality at hand. Besides, if God really did make all this how can I be expected to take care of and respect what is given in the hereafter if I can't take care of and respect what has been earned in this NOW we live in?
1:00 PM pst
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#120050 Aug 13, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>
Taliban? You must be one of them, for the atheist. The evidence is seen in England to date.
There's atheistic Taliban in England?

Chuck, the closest we got to the Taliban in England are the occasional Islamic militant or British "patriots" who wanna get rid of them - along with anyone else who ain't white. Once again, atheism isn't much of a factor here.
FREE SERVANT

Fairfax, VA

#120051 Aug 13, 2014
KeepCalmNcarryON wrote:
<quoted text>
You could be right about that Bro, but as long as I'm alive and that clock is runnin', i'm respecting the reality at hand. Besides, if God really did make all this how can I be expected to take care of and respect what is given in the hereafter if I can't take care of and respect what has been earned in this NOW we live in?
1:00 PM pst
In that place all things will work together for your good. If you love God, He will make a way for you to see.
wondering

Morris, OK

#120052 Aug 13, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
But the mutations are NOT to deal with the causes of the mutations. In the above example, the cold does not cause mutations. The temperature does not cause mutations. Radioactivity and certain chemicals cause mutations. But the survival has to do with dealing with the cold, not dealing with radioactivity or the chemicals. So the mutations do NOT deal with the cause of the mutations.
ok gotcha. radioactivity and certain chemicals in colder environments cause the mutation that will grow more hair which will aid in survival in the cold environment but the cold environment itself has nothing to do with it. like the mutations that happen in warmer environments that cause less hair which is better suited for survival in the warmer environment but the warmer environment itself has nothing to do with it. it must be the radioactivity and certain chemicals that are affected by the colder or warmer environment because they most generally produce the mutation that is needed for the colder or warmer environment.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#120053 Aug 13, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>In that place all things will work together for your good. If you love God, He will make a way for you to see.
Still don't care Mikey.
FREE SERVANT

Ardsley, NY

#120054 Aug 13, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Still don't care Mikey.
I love God with all my heart and secondly I am as concerned for my neighbors as I am for myself. I'll keep praying for you guys.

“Wrath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#120055 Aug 13, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
ok gotcha. radioactivity and certain chemicals in colder environments cause the mutation that will grow more hair which will aid in survival in the cold environment but the cold environment itself has nothing to do with it. like the mutations that happen in warmer environments that cause less hair which is better suited for survival in the warmer environment but the warmer environment itself has nothing to do with it. it must be the radioactivity and certain chemicals that are affected by the colder or warmer environment because they most generally produce the mutation that is needed for the colder or warmer environment.
No

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#120056 Aug 13, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
(First paragraph was Polymath saying "life *is* a chemical process and the biochemistry of it is pretty well understood")
Let's fill in:
- biochemistry is pointless and lacks all evidence.------- RIGHT.
- neurophysiology is pointless and lacks all evidence ------- RIGHT.
- genetics is pointless and lacks all evidence ------- RIGHT.
- molecular biology is pointless and lacks all evidence ------- RIGHT.
And, hence, off goes medicine.
Who is gonna drag this fool into the next century?
Which in his case will be the 6th BC.
Okay dumbass, empty your drool bucket,...the chemistry of EXISTING life is understood. Only the comically stupid goobers on this thread will tell you that the chemicals that the universe somehow created then coalesced and created life. That's you

There is zero evidence that inorganic matter,...nonliving, can self organize and create life.

Zero! so it is you who are the fool,

now go play in the road

Level 2

Location hidden

#120057 Aug 13, 2014
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is, nobody knows why there is anything and a God hypothesis is just as vacuous as any other. Maybe, maybe not.
None of it has any bearing on whether evolution occurred, and asking for the origin of the universe is merely a red herring.
the first part is correct , the second is not

You think that there's no bearing on whether God created everything or everything created itself? Really! There's no bearing on society, science or mankind?

Level 2

Location hidden

#120058 Aug 13, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>still not one teensy weensy shred of proof suggesting that creator you took from the religious cults and incorporated into your worldview...not one shred...
The evidence of a creator is ....self evident, intelligent people and scientists for hundreds of years have known it, because the alternative is.......

the universe created itself, and no rational ,thinking and reasoning being could believe that.

Level 2

Location hidden

#120059 Aug 13, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
The boring old inane strategy of creationists.
What is the rationale of your endless questions like a young child in its "why" stage:
Child: "mammy, why do dogs have tails?"
Mama: "because then they can wag with it, son"
Child: "why do they need to wag then?"
Mama: "because they can show how they feel, son"
Child: "but why do dogs need to feel?"
Mam........
<........> (half a life passes by)
Adult: "why are there dogs in the first place?"
Apologist: "because they are created by god, son"
Adult: "why are they created by god?"
Apologist: "because it's in the bible, son"
You are endlessly asking because you know that at a certain point science does not have the answers. Because nobody in science pretends science knows it all.
But when you asked a certain 20 year old guy from Woolsthorpe Manor in 1662 how he could explain gravity, he would shrug his shoulders. But in 1787 Isaac Newton published his Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica and the foundations of modern mechanics were laid, including the unravelling of gravity and motion.
The question here is, whether we should invoke "god" at the RECEDING point where science does not know the answers.
You are worshipping the god of the closing gaps. Science has increasingly been able to explain things that previously were considered as "magic" or "the deeds of god". It gradually pushes back the magic realm. The gaps are closing.
Your questions are aimed to bring us at the borders of the gaps.
EVERYONE at this forum you are debating knows this.
Do we need to invoke "god" when we reached those borders.
I DON'T THINK SO.
And the reason for that is: never change a winning team.
There is NO REASON to abandon science when reaching the boundaries from the gaps.
ON THE CONTRARY.
Nobody, I think, ever has explained this better than Neil deGrasse Tyson:
“I just don’t mind when someone says ‘you understand that, so god did it’. That doesn’t even bother me. But what really bothers me is as if you were so content in that answer that you no longer had curiosity to learn how it happened. The day you stopped looking because you content ‘god did it’, I don’t need you in the lab. You’re useless on the frontier of understanding the nature of the world”, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =rzjuSjJF9QYXX.
This is the reason why science accomplishes more in any random decades than your whole religion in its entire 4,100 years of history. If you want a tested recipe for relapse and stagnation, try religion.
Even today, in the 21st century, religion manages to stagnate major parts of the world, like the Arabic countries. And it manages to keep 40% of Americans completely ignorant of the findings of modern science, in favour of an, scientifically spoken, ridiculous and retard bronze age mythology book.
The situation in Arabic countries pertaining progression and contribution to human knowledge is harrowing. But once, the Islamic world was THE culture in the world, excelling in science, economics, exchange of ideas and knowledge. It is, justly, called the Golden Age. It began in 900 and ended somewhere in 1400-1450, after a steady decline.
Here is some insight in the reasons for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch...
You and your ilk! now we don't have all the answers but we know God didn't do it!

The evidence for God creating the universe is self evident, unless?

you want to believe that the universe created itself and then created life.

Talk about unscientific! but it should be, its a belief, a comic one at that

Level 2

Location hidden

#120060 Aug 13, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
How so?
Oh wait, you don't even have the ability to distinguish between the two.(shrug)
Get that syphilis monkey back into his cage, he's on the keyboard again
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#120061 Aug 13, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay dumbass, empty your drool bucket,...the chemistry of EXISTING life is understood. Only the comically stupid goobers on this thread will tell you that the chemicals that the universe somehow created then coalesced and created life. That's you
There is zero evidence that inorganic matter,...nonliving, can self organize and create life.
Zero! so it is you who are the fool,
now go play in the road
It is telling to see how you dodged all my posts and answer the only one you THINK you are able to address. That's how cowards work. And to anticipate your predictable answer: no they weren't stupid (your excuse for dodging) otherwise you wouldn't have had the slightest problem to refute them - and you won't had let it go too.

Now we both agree that life is a biochemical process we go to abiogenesis.
Zero evidence?
You wish it were true.
But you are totally wrong.
I think you never took the effort to go into the literature of abiogenesis.
Hence I am asking myself how you manage to draw conclusions about things you have no single understanding or knowledge of.

As Polymath already said, there have been numerous experiments done that have showed that:
1) complex organic molecules can emerge from prebiotic environments in varying simulations of early earth conditions
2) already several pathways form those basic molecules to macromolecules is on its way and very promising. Among those are several amino acids (the building blocks of proteins as well as proteins and all nucleotides of RNA, as well as the phosphate and sugar parts of it
3) the self-replication of RNA in prebiotic conditions with no proteins around and even showing natural selection to occur
4) the emergence of metabolism is also on its way with a bunch of experiments.

All those lines 1 - 4 comprise dozens of experiments.
Creationists only refer to the Urey-Miller experiments. That was almost 60 years ago. For everything that happened since then they are COMPLETELY ignorant of. It is as if nothing happened in physics after Newton. But we ALL KNOW hoe creationism works.

A nice line of research is the engineering existing prokaryotic (bacterial) cells with progressively fewer genes, attempting to discern at which point the most minimal requirements for life are reached. Than we may build up the line of events from the other side to arrive at that point.

Hence: the emergence of (complex) organic molecules is already pretty much understood. The emergence of self-replication is pretty much on its way and major steps have been taken. The next step will be how biological reactions were incorporated behind and contained within cell walls. This research also started and is on its way. the same applies to metabolism.

But these lines are still different building blocks, many of them not complete and even others lacking and neither of them integrated in one construction.

But NOBODY claimed we already finished the job.

But to say that there is "zero evidence" is just PLAIN LYING.
Also a notorious trait of creationism.

Now instead of "go and play on the road", I have a better advice for you: go and read a book about the things BEFORE you start TATTLING about them.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#120062 Aug 13, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
You and your ilk! now we don't have all the answers but we know God didn't do it!
The evidence for God creating the universe is self evident, unless?
you want to believe that the universe created itself and then created life.
Talk about unscientific! but it should be, its a belief, a comic one at that
Did your mind know what your fingers were typing?
Spare me of this unsubstantiated, senseless posts.
I don't have the time for them to read.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 2 min Poppyann 14,107
Make up your wildest Headline. (Aug '08) 2 min Sparky 606
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 3 min _Susan_ 8,816
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 11 min Goku Blackxxxxxxxxx 197,310
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 11 min Jennifer Renee 19,728
tell me one word to describe yourself (Jun '09) 12 min Goku Blackxxxxxxxxx 16,024
Anything Biggest, Largest, Tallest, Best, you'd... 18 min Goku Blackxxxxxxxxx 137
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 55 min A TROLL NAMED SLACK 59,705
More from around the web