Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221963 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#119986 Aug 12, 2014
replaytime wrote:
An intervention from above or just pure luck? You decide and show why or why not
A Rocket Was About to Cause the Worst Terror Attack in Israel’s History, But a ‘Miracle’ Happened
http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/167229-rocket...
I fail to see the relevance to the current topic.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#119987 Aug 12, 2014
replaytime wrote:
An intervention from above or just pure luck? You decide and show why or why not
A Rocket Was About to Cause the Worst Terror Attack in Israel’s History, But a ‘Miracle’ Happened
Besides, the Japanese have already attributed a 'divine wind'(kamikaze) in the years 1274 & again in 1281.

Perhaps it was the Japanese god showing his/her/its hand!
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#119988 Aug 12, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Pointing out your stupidity is very substantial ! Now go and try to figure out the subject on this thread
Sure.
<....>
Have looked.
Still a twerp having nothing of substantial interest to say.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#119989 Aug 12, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
messianic114 wrote:
As evidence I will submit C14 dating of fossils supposedly 65 million years old to be about 50,000 years old as evidence that:
A. C14 dating is inaccurate
B. The fossils aren't that old.
C. A combination of A & B.
You answered
You do realize that you cannot carbon date a fossil as the organic material is long gone being replace by minerals, right?
ound soft tissue of dinosaurs, so we can C14 date them.
Maybe you need to upgrade your science.

LOL.

You have not read any of the articles.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#119990 Aug 12, 2014
replaytime wrote:

It was a miracle that the interceptors missed. God must be on the terrorists side.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#119991 Aug 12, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
i did not ask you what RNA was, nor did i ask you if it has been seen to self-replicate,, i asked you what did the RNA originate/emerge from? and what or how would you say they became programmed(so to speak) to code, decode and regulate genes?

Um.... hey stupid, you just received the answer to your questions and don't seem to understand that.

WOW! How do people get this dumb?

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#119992 Aug 12, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Life is a complex collection of interacting chemical reactions. What is the difficulty with the universe 'creating' that?
If that's what you choose to believe, no problem, there's zero evidence mind you,...I see you still believe in the life is a cake mix theory,...mix the proper ingredients , pop it in the oven and presto! You might what to update your information, many astrophysicists and astrobiologists are rejecting this outdated notion and have admitted when it comes to creating life, there isn't any agreement on how to approach the problem.

Level 2

Location hidden

#119993 Aug 12, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I explained why you were deliberately presenting loaded questions.
<quoted text>
Radioactive decay.
<quoted text>
Of course we deal with cause and effect. However cause and effect can be rendered redundant at the quantum level.
<quoted text>
That must be why you always dodge what we say then.(shrug)
By the way, the theory of evolution doesn't rely on abiogenesis. And has long been demonstrated. You can stick all the invisible Jewmagic you like into abiogenesis or the start of the universe. Evolution still remains unrefuted. Which is all we have to worry about around here.
Where did radioactivity come from?.......what caused it?

Level 2

Location hidden

#119994 Aug 12, 2014
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that the context of "creation" is clearly implied when pitted against evolution as an alternative as per the title of the thread. Evolution does not and never did pretend to explain the origin of the universe, or the earth, or even the first life for that matter. The theory posits a specific process that explains how life, once present, could change, develop, and diversify.
So obviously, its being contrasted with creationism as an explanation for these things, not for the origin of the universe. Evolution as a theory is not concerned at all whether God created the universe, and is perfectly compatible with God as a hypothesis. Its NOT compatible with literal biblical creationism, so that is obviously the relevant contrast here.
You couldn't be more wrong , the entirety of this debate is a God created universe with life, versus a universe that came into being on its own and created life on its own. Hell you've read these posts, Its nihilism vs those who believe in a God, that is the real debate here.

Now ,..do you believe that the universe came into existence , say the way polymath says,...uncaused,.and then created life on its own. or do you believe that the universe had a creator that caused it to come into existence and created life?
KeepCalmNcarryON

Los Angeles, CA

#119995 Aug 12, 2014
replaytime wrote:
Nice story, I like it.
BTW I don't know where the website is from, but noticed the same semi-pretty Asian girl with the big tiddies on there. Same girl as here on topix ads at top or side of page.
...Actually yes, cool website.
Very center-left progressive !

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#119996 Aug 12, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
what radiation, chemicals, etc.do you think is the cause for modern man to have less hair than our ancestors of millions of years ago or even as short as hundred of thousand years ago?(<neanderthal for example)
The ability to swim, Hey I could explain it to you , but If poly fails in explaining it to you.
Then you're beyond explaining to.
I will not even try because.....

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

arte et marte

#119997 Aug 12, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did radioactivity come from?.......what caused it?
The decay of matter?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#119998 Aug 12, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
You couldn't be more wrong , the entirety of this debate is a God created universe with life, versus a universe that came into being on its own and created life on its own. Hell you've read these posts, Its nihilism vs those who believe in a God, that is the real debate here.
Now ,..do you believe that the universe came into existence , say the way polymath says,...uncaused,.and then created life on its own. or do you believe that the universe had a creator that caused it to come into existence and created life?
still not one teensy weensy shred of proof suggesting that creator you took from the religious cults and incorporated into your worldview...not one shred...

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#119999 Aug 12, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Um.... hey stupid, you just received the answer to your questions and don't seem to understand that.
WOW! How do people get this dumb?
It must be an art.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#120000 Aug 12, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Besides, the Japanese have already attributed a 'divine wind'(kamikaze) in the years 1274 & again in 1281.
Perhaps it was the Japanese god showing his/her/its hand!
Godzilla?
wondering

Morris, OK

#120001 Aug 12, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The ability to swim, Hey I could explain it to you , but If poly fails in explaining it to you.
Then you're beyond explaining to.
I will not even try because.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jYcC37LrjI0XX
oh i see you have nothing. go do your nails.
wondering

Morris, OK

#120002 Aug 12, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is wrong. Yes, mutations have causes: radiation, chemicals, etc. But the mutations that happen are NOT necessarily (or likely) to deal with those causes. For example, radiation causes point mutations in the DNA. It is random in the sense that *where* on the DNA the mutation happens depends on the placement of the organism with respect to the radiation source, NOT on what would be best for survival of the organism. If the organism were a millimeter to one side, a different mutation would happen.The mutations that happen are NOT those that reduce the effects of radiation. They are randomly distributed over the chromosomes.
<quoted text>
And that is demonstrably NOT what actually happens. Cold, for example, does NOT cause mutations. Radiation and various chemicals do. So the mutations that happen are NOT to 'deal with the cold', they are caused by the other factors and the link between those factors and the temperature isn't there.
still waiting:

beneficial mutations:
1) do mutations aid in a species survival?
2) do mutations have a cause?
3) do those mutations help to deal with that cause?
4) is the purpose of those mutations to deal with that cause?
5) does everyone get the mutations or random individuals get the mutations?
6) if a mutation is needed for survival but only random some get it
6-a) what happens to the ones that get the mutations?
6-b) what happens to the ones that don't get the mutation?
6-c) will the random ones in the population that acquired said needed mutation have a better chance of surviving/reproducing?

that is all cause and effect by cause. otherwise the mutations are caused by the effects of the environment. the effects of the mutations have a purpose which is to deal with the cause.that is responsible for the effects, hence the environment.
wondering

Morris, OK

#120003 Aug 12, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text> Cold, for example, does NOT cause mutations. Radiation and various chemicals do. So the mutations that happen are NOT to 'deal with the cold', they are caused by the other factors and the link between those factors and the temperature isn't there.
still waiting:
what radiation, chemicals, etc.do you think is the cause for modern man to have less hair than our ancestors of millions of years ago or even as short as hundred of thousand years ago?(<neanderthal for example)

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

arte et marte

#120004 Aug 13, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
oh i see you have nothing. go do your nails.
My doing nails, will include driving them into something with a gun or a hammer.
This concludes your "fyi" session for today.
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#120005 Aug 13, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
If that's what you choose to believe, no problem, there's zero evidence mind you,...I see you still believe in the life is a cake mix theory,...mix the proper ingredients , pop it in the oven and presto! You might what to update your information, many astrophysicists and astrobiologists are rejecting this outdated notion and have admitted when it comes to creating life, there isn't any agreement on how to approach the problem.
What was Polymath writing again?
"Life is a complex collection of interacting chemical reactions. What is the difficulty with the universe 'creating' that?'

Let's see:
1. "Life is a complex collection of interacting chemical reactions" - nothing wrong with that and the evidence for that is overwhelming (biology, biochemistry ....)
2. "What is the difficulty with the universe 'creating' that?" - doesn't need much imagination while there IS life in the universe at least at one place.

You need to update your information because of all physicists and astronomers a slightly 7.5% believe in God and 7.5% in immortality. Among biologists it's even less: 5.5% in God, 7.1% in immortality. See http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/news/file... . De trend 1914 - 1933 - 1998 is a dramatical DECLINE in faith among those. I don't think since 1998 this picture has changed because last decades atheism in USA is gaining in support.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 16 min Denny CranesPlace 24,032
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 16 min Parden Pard 47,282
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 17 min MyLittleSecret 6,700
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 20 min MyLittleSecret 17,034
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 20 min MyLittleSecret 62,107
News Robot finds likely melted fuel heap inside Fuku... 28 min Protoham 4
The Next Person Game (Mar '11) 30 min andet1987 10,131
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 38 min ECHO 76,685
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 49 min Bobby 220,829
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr MyLittleSecret 4,633