Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#118807 Jul 23, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Irrelevant. I have showed it also to you the 100th time why you are wrong. We don't need stories, but real evidence and that is seen in England to date.

No, you are the wrong one. Your thinking reflects a limited cognitive ability.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#118808 Jul 23, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> And lastly, until you understand this, Anglo Saxons are also known as the English, so, therefore, Anglo saxons words are English, that is why, whether old, middle or modern, it was and is still known as English. So so called Denmark and Germany were later absorbed to become Danish and Germans.

No. English is derived mainly from German. Therefore the Germans are the rightful owner of the English language.

They want you to start paying 100 euros per word for writing in their language.

You currently owe Germany 50,000,000 euros. If you send the money directly to me I think I can get them to settle for 10% of that. You can thank me after your check clears.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#118809 Jul 24, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
NOT addressing the things I said about it AGAIN, just continuing the crap by copycatting your own rubbish.
The English language, like all Germanic languages, originates from the areas of modern Denmark and northern Germany.
And you can continue copycatting your tattles and baloney whatever you like but it does not change the fact that the Germanic languages originate from Denmark and northern Germany.
And English happens to be among those (apart from the huge influences of French, Latin and other sources of course). And the French and Latin parts of the linguistic inheritance of English originate from a small area around Rome, called Latium, nowadays Lazio.
Anglo-Saxon words not only made it in English but also in German, even MORE than in English. Pertaining vocabulary, modern German is FAR MORE "Anglo-Saxon" than English. Like Dutch. Or Danish to a high extent. And Frisian not to forget.
Copycatting who? You? Lol
The internet and the library are open to all. Don' t use that
stupid word again.

Level 2

Location hidden

#118810 Jul 24, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Charles, your idiot logic is just making you appear to be an ass.
Grow up and grow out of the concrete operational phase. Grown-up need to master abstract thinking.
In summary to your garbage, there was an undercount in that 2009 census survey. Do your findings.

Level 2

Location hidden

#118811 Jul 24, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you are the wrong one. Your thinking reflects a limited cognitive ability.
What i said was true. Contest it. No evidence of English in Denmark and Germany, but evidence based on history, but that evidence is visibly seen in England to date.

Level 2

Location hidden

#118812 Jul 24, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No. English is derived mainly from German. Therefore the Germans are the rightful owner of the English language.
They want you to start paying 100 euros per word for writing in their language.
You currently owe Germany 50,000,000 euros. If you send the money directly to me I think I can get them to settle for 10% of that. You can thank me after your check clears.
Wrong. Get some clue about History. The Angles, Saxons and Jutes, gave births to these following people speaking these languages, Danish( Denmark), German( Germany), Dutch( Netherlands), English( England). Wake up.
Bill

Owensboro, KY

#118813 Jul 24, 2014
“New analyses of the human genome have established that human evolution has been recent, copious, and regional"

According to this, rapid evolution in Europe (mostly England) in the last 1000 years has led to the industrial revolution and modern technological advances. I would argue that this was not truly evolution but mostly selective breeding. If this led to the industrial revolution, it was obviously very successful. However I would caution against putting too much stock into this. While research in the human genome is very important, DNA sequencing is still an imperfect science and gene funtion is poorly understood. Also this seems to be leading down the same dead end road of racial superiority that germany took. I am certain that all the major races have evolved unique traits that confer an evolutionary advantage.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#118814 Jul 24, 2014
Bill wrote:
“New analyses of the human genome have established that human evolution has been recent, copious, and regional"

According to this, rapid evolution in Europe (mostly England) in the last 1000 years has led to the industrial revolution and modern technological advances. I would argue that this was not truly evolution but mostly selective breeding. If this led to the industrial revolution, it was obviously very successful. However I would caution against putting too much stock into this. While research in the human genome is very important, DNA sequencing is still an imperfect science and gene funtion is poorly understood. Also this seems to be leading down the same dead end road of racial superiority that germany took. I am certain that all the major races have evolved unique traits that confer an evolutionary advantage.
Link?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#118815 Jul 24, 2014
Bill wrote:

Hogwash

Orlando

#118816 Jul 24, 2014
Nevermind. Found it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/16/books/nicho...

<review of Wade's book>:

"Ultimately, Wade claims that modern anthropology ignores key scientific information for political reasons, yet his own arguments are only thinly supported by data, and much of the data he does reference isn’t rigorous. To his credit, he refutes certain racist notions associated with the idea of genetic determinism, and he speaks against social Darwinism and similar concepts. But if that verbiage were excised, his book would fit comfortably in the early to mid-20th century literature on race and human variation. A Troublesome Inheritance is itself troubling, not for its politics but for its science. Its arguments are only mildly amended versions of arguments discarded decades ago by those who methodically and systematically study human behavioral variation across cultures. "

Greg Laden is a biological anthropologist who has worked in the Democratic Republic of Congo and South Africa. He writes at Scienceblogs.com .

full text of review:

http://www.americanscientist.org/bookshelf/pu...
Bill

Owensboro, KY

#118817 Jul 24, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Link?
The original article seems to have disappeared, but here is a link that discusses the book

http://www.theitem.com/stories/racial-differe...
Bill

Owensboro, KY

#118818 Jul 24, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Link?
This is the article I had in mind.

http://time.com/91081/what-science-says-about...

Level 8

Location hidden

#118819 Jul 24, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
Nevermind. Found it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/16/books/nicho...
<review of Wade's book>:
"Ultimately, Wade claims that modern anthropology ignores key scientific information for political reasons, yet his own arguments are only thinly supported by data, and much of the data he does reference isn’t rigorous. To his credit, he refutes certain racist notions associated with the idea of genetic determinism, and he speaks against social Darwinism and similar concepts. But if that verbiage were excised, his book would fit comfortably in the early to mid-20th century literature on race and human variation. A Troublesome Inheritance is itself troubling, not for its politics but for its science. Its arguments are only mildly amended versions of arguments discarded decades ago by those who methodically and systematically study human behavioral variation across cultures. "
Greg Laden is a biological anthropologist who has worked in the Democratic Republic of Congo and South Africa. He writes at Scienceblogs.com .
full text of review:
http://www.americanscientist.org/bookshelf/pu...

It's pretty much accepted the reason the west excelled past other parts the world, and England was only one of the players, it was the entire west was.....
Guns Germs and Steel, and the geography better allowed the ability to enable mass food production, with animals and plants.But we aren't talking about evolution of species here, we are talking about what made civilization of the human species excel in the west faster than in other parts of the world.

Level 8

Location hidden

#118820 Jul 24, 2014
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the article I had in mind.
http://time.com/91081/what-science-says-about...

A propaganda piece, by a pseudoscience writer.
Bill

Owensboro, KY

#118821 Jul 24, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
A propaganda piece, by a pseudoscience writer.
Well according to the article, and I have read the same thing in other books on human evolution, there are genes for intelligence and genes for "delayed gratification" and other genes (lower rates of violence being one) that are more prevalent in Europeans and especially in England. This is supposedly the reason for the industrial revolution and the dominance of the west. I think this may be true to an extent (they have the dna sequences to prove it?), but I'm sure its not that simple.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#118822 Jul 24, 2014
Bill wrote:
"Certain"?

Level 8

Location hidden

#118823 Jul 24, 2014
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Well according to the article, and I have read the same thing in other books on human evolution, there are genes for intelligence and genes for "delayed gratification" and other genes (lower rates of violence being one) that are more prevalent in Europeans and especially in England. This is supposedly the reason for the industrial revolution and the dominance of the west. I think this may be true to an extent (they have the dna sequences to prove it?), but I'm sure its not that simple.
See my above post on germs guns and steel. The ability to procure food is what made the west excel in every way, this allowed out brains to be used to solve other problems, it became an evolutionary advantage , but only of short duration.
Equality enabled these things to make all nations excel, the west just got a head start.
Bill

Owensboro, KY

#118824 Jul 24, 2014
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
"Certain"?
100 percent certain

Orlando

#118825 Jul 24, 2014
In my mind, the major differences between 'races'(on over-generalized term, imho), is that of CULTURAL and rescources made available to those cultures.

Remember that until relatively recently, cultures and 'races' were much more geographically isolated, and 'evolved' independently from each other.

With transportation facilitating the more widespread dissemination of resources and the spread of different cultures (not to mention DNA) via electronic and other forms of communication, the planet is rapidly becoming much more homogenous.

The points attempted to be explained by Wade (and others) might be a moot point in another couple of hundred years.
Bill

Owensboro, KY

#118826 Jul 24, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
In my mind, the major differences between 'races'(on over-generalized term, imho), is that of CULTURAL and rescources made available to those cultures.
Remember that until relatively recently, cultures and 'races' were much more geographically isolated, and 'evolved' independently from each other.
With transportation facilitating the more widespread dissemination of resources and the spread of different cultures (not to mention DNA) via electronic and other forms of communication, the planet is rapidly becoming much more homogenous.
The points attempted to be explained by Wade (and others) might be a moot point in another couple of hundred years.
They will still have the dna sequences of most different racial/ethnic/minority groups. Small changes in a gene that are unique to a group could be extremely valuable in the near future.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pass-the-Buck 4 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1
NFL Football (Jul '10) 6 min dragoon70056 1,489
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 9 min Uh CIem 28,635
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 10 min Mister_ E 21,204
Official: Oklahoma beheading suspect a bit 'weird' 12 min Denny CranesPlace 24
Uh Clem 13 min Weird 0ne 2 117
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 14 min Hoosier Hillbilly 17,374
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 51 min Mister_ E 6,335
Cows Really Don't Like Cowbells, Study Finds 1 hr Go Blue Forever 45
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Wolftracks 147,579