Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223290 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#119039 Jul 29, 2014
HOG_ the Hand of God wrote:
<quoted text>
Your evolution is magic. A magic cannot have any science. The phrase " Science of God" that you claim not possible was merely figurative.
<quoted text>
I know, evotards don't know the difference between figurative and literal and that is part of the reason that they are evotards in the first place
Problem is, Porky, is that you have absolutely no idea which parts of the Bible should be taken literally and which shouldn't either. You're not the world's greatest Biblical scholar. You're just another fundie amongst a throng of fundies with baseless religious opinions. And your baseless religious opinions aren't any better than anyone else's religious opinions. And that's why we don't take you seriously.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#119040 Jul 29, 2014
HOG_ the Hand of God wrote:
<quoted text>
We can demonstrate the logic behind the idea of God. That is why it is accepted by... rational people and why everything evolution describes except "natural selection" is not accepted by the critical thinker.
Uhuh. Still waiting for that to happen, Porky.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#119041 Jul 29, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
most people try to stay on the subject. the subject was rules of the room. i guess you missed that didn't you jack wagon
Why are you throwing a hissy fit over a rule prohibiting messing with peoples' personal lives? If you do, stop. If you don't, don't start. If you have, don't do it again.
messianic114

Calgary, Canada

#119042 Jul 29, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is random?
Since when?
Oh wait - Messy's just beating up his straw-man again.(yawn)
Can you give an example of how the genome changes which is not random. Please be careful to give an example where the DNA of the species has changed. This means no genetic drift as the genes in question have not changed only their frequency within the population.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Happy New Year

#119043 Jul 29, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you give an example of how the genome changes which is not random. Please be careful to give an example where the DNA of the species has changed. This means no genetic drift as the genes in question have not changed only their frequency within the population.
Insecticide resistance in insects.
messianic114

Calgary, Canada

#119044 Jul 29, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Insecticide resistance in insects.
How are you showing this is not random?
messianic114

Calgary, Canada

#119045 Jul 29, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Insecticide resistance in insects.
How are you showing this is not genetic drift?
How are you showing a change in the genome has occurred?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#119046 Jul 29, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously? Bedbugs just randomly developed resistance to common pesticides because... umm...uhh... it doesn't mention any such thing happening in the Bible. So there!

???

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#119048 Jul 29, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>

Resistance is advanced by a random process, of minute mutations, though the advance is a clear progression toward survival. This is the same with antibiotic resistant bacteria, that's why it's important to rake the full course of the drug. Killing the bacteria that have developed some resistance to it. If you fail to do that a generation of a strain with some resistance is allowed to live. This is the way evolution works.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#119049 Jul 29, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
how did i miss this stupid comment. lets try this again. now also look at the web address. see how the address ends with "mustard-plant.gif". that might be a clue for you lol. what a idot jack wagon as usual.
http://adventchristmasepiphany.files.wordpres...
Once again moron, the label of the picture is very poor evidence. I linked a site that says mustard grows to five feet at the most. I saw others that said the same but did not post them. You have a clump of bushes that may be mustard, or it may be mustard mixed with other plants, or it may even be a totally unrelated plant. I have seen Christian sites that show a picture of an actual tree. Definitely not a mustard plant. How about finding a reliable site. A non-Christian site. One that has no reason to lie.

Oh wait, if you did that you would find a site that supported me.
The Dude

UK

#119050 Jul 29, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
If the frequency has changed then that means genes have changed, in at least some organisms. See, this is what happens when you start babbling BS about concepts you don't understand.

Mutations themselves are random with respect to fitness, but you neglect to account for the fact that they are acted upon via NON-random mechanisms such as natural selection.

But remember none of this matters to you because you don't care about evidence.

So can you explain why you're still violating the Commandments of your own religion?

Petal Power

“It's a New Dawn”

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#119051 Jul 29, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
If the frequency has changed then that means genes have changed, in at least some organisms. See, this is what happens when you start babbling BS about concepts you don't understand.
Mutations themselves are random with respect to fitness, but you neglect to account for the fact that they are acted upon via NON-random mechanisms such as natural selection.
But remember none of this matters to you because you don't care about evidence.
So can you explain why you're still violating the Commandments of your own religion?
THAT'S Your OPINION!! We are AKL Individuals.. We may Come up w/ the SAME Invention idea..But w/ a few similarities.. BUT..No two minds Really think the SAME..NOT even.."IDENTICAL TWINS"!!

Sorry..Don't chat about religion..;)
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#119052 Jul 29, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
You nitpicking is what got this started.
<quoted text>
another foolish statement from your failure of reading comprehension..
"these are detestable things for you among winged creatures that you are not to eat, because they are detestable for you: the eagle, vulture, osprey… NOTICE "winged creatures" which would be creatures with wings, you know birds, bats, ect. it does not specifically say "bird" like the one you used in your nitpicking.
I've read it perfectly well.
Didn't YOU READ? No, YOU didn't.
1) I WROTE: the "winged creatures" are in just a FEW out of 19 (NINETEEN) different bible translated variations. you just picked the one which suited you MOST.
2) In the very next item, you picked another translation version, at your whim. WHY not the FIRST translation version again?
3) The Hebrew version tells about BIRDS. that reference HAS BEEN PAPERED OVER in the 3 versions not using the word "bird".
4) A book which is translated in 19 different versions in just ONE language (English), not even considering all other languages, is not very trustworthy for "the word of god".

GAME OVER.
And f*ck off with this crap. I've have enough of this tattling and farts.
F*cking junk and scrap.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#119053 Jul 29, 2014
Petal Power wrote:
<quoted text> THAT'S Your OPINION!! We are AKL Individuals.. We may Come up w/ the SAME Invention idea..But w/ a few similarities.. BUT..No two minds Really think the SAME..NOT even.."IDENTICAL TWINS"!!
no that is not his opinion, that's the way evolution theory is conceived in modern biology.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#119054 Jul 29, 2014
Petal Power wrote:
<quoted text> THAT'S Your OPINION!! We are AKL Individuals.. We may Come up w/ the SAME Invention idea..But w/ a few similarities.. BUT..No two minds Really think the SAME..NOT even.."IDENTICAL TWINS"!!
Bub, even the kittens look at your posts and think "wtf?".
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#119055 Jul 29, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
fact is no one here, including myself, know what the first original bible says. until one of us know, we are arguing on biased stances. you claiming the bible says something by various translations to try to prove it wrong and stupid for evolutions sake and me doing the same thing but producing a different translation that says it differently showing how it can be mis-interpreted. i think much of the translated bible i have read are a bunch of bs but i am not going to lie to make it seem that way since i have no clue of what the original writings say.
Which one of the 19 apparently different bible translation did you read then?
And WHY were you RANDOMLY cherrypicking just the one after the very other in your response to me?????????

F*ck off with your bronze mythology worship book.
It isn't even the most interesting one of that era.
The Greek drama's are MUCH MORE interesting and VERY MUCH more intelligent FOR INSTANCE.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#119056 Jul 29, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, wondering seems to be a creatard in disguise. He pretends to accept evolution but when shown errors in the Bible or told of them his gut reaction paints him as a fundamentalist. And though creationists claim to follow the Ten Commandments they all think it is okay to lie as long as you are lying for Jesus.
You didn't know that?
I can smell bronze age ignorance and claptrap form miles.
He perfectly uses ALL the stuff from the same old boring claptrap websites.
With the same vocabulary and the same reasoning flaws copycatted integrally.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#119057 Jul 29, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
ANY species genome change is NOT ad random by definition.
Hence EVERY species we know of is, as a descendant of its ancestral species, an example of non random, genetic change.
Only genetic drift is the way genomes change by chance.

If you look on the individual level, the genome of individuals, YOU are an example of a changed genome. Because you have some 125-160 genetic mutations on top of the genes you inherited from your parents. These are random though.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#119058 Jul 29, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
Otherwise it would not have been emerged.
It is genetically impossible for genetic traits to change. it would defy everything we know in modern genetics.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#119059 Jul 29, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
How are you showing this is not genetic drift?
How are you showing a change in the genome has occurred?
Because genetic drift cannot lead to new traits.
That would be impossible.
Genetic drift only mixes existing genetic traits.

BTW why are you asking these questions?
Just take a random biology textbook on it and start to read.

ANSWER this question: why are you asking this?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association (Jun '10) 3 min -Papa-Smurf- 32,817
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 4 min -Papa-Smurf- 16,529
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 4 min Faith 34,892
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 6 min -Papa-Smurf- 18,342
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 8 min -Papa-Smurf- 14,006
Wisdom comes with Age 9 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 10 min -Papa-Smurf- 84,518
Would you vote for Oprah to be the next president? 55 min Pardon Pard 33
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 59 min Ricky F 227,184
What Turns You Off? (Jan '17) 2 hr liam cul8r 1,214