Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story
get real

Holland, MI

#118112 Jul 15, 2014
Atheism has nothing to do with Evolution. Why would scientists support Evolution with no evidence?

Of course attempting to prove religion wrong is part of evolution, its the drive behind it. Yes, I know some people beleive in both and I'm not exactly sure how that works. But since they have discovered over 30 different species of dinasours and have yet to discover 1 missing link from creatures which had to number in the millions over millions of years I think Darwins theory was simply that, a theory.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#118113 Jul 15, 2014
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
That's really cute. Not just the fact that your cat saw the need to show you 2 hedgehogs getting intimate, but the fact that your cat seems to be leaving food for 'her'(I'm assuming it's the female that lives under your shed. Hedgehogs are cute. All animals are cute.
We have had cats forever, this is a new one a rescue cat we’ve had her about 18 months and I have never known a cat as caring. We have a bird table and a pond, she gets upset if there is no food on the bird table and she collect frogs that wonder from the pond, never harms them thought, whenever she finds one out of the pond she carries it in and drops it in her water bowl then comes to find one of us to take it back to the pond.

OK yes and she likes ceilings, whenever she looks up and sees a ceiling she goes into a trance for a few seconds. Never with the sky, just indoors

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

#118114 Jul 15, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a lucky man, being raised in (or close to) the babble belt would have its own difficulties for a family like yours. I congratulate you and more to the point, your parents
Tell me about it. I have lots of friends from the area that would be on here burning us at stake for considering these heretical ideas. Missouri is becoming a "red state" and I think largely driven by the growth of fundamentalist religion. These outdated notions haven't completely taken over, but it is scary when a congressman (Todd Akin) suggests that it is the fault of the woman if she gets pregnant from rape. This guy torpedoed his political career, but he is still out there promoting his special brand of BS.

Cute story about the hedgehogs. We don't have those here, but we used to have a possum that would eat the cat food we left out and it got to be kind of a wild "pet" around the house.

Level 6

#118115 Jul 15, 2014
get real wrote:
Atheism has nothing to do with Evolution. Why would scientists support Evolution with no evidence?
Of course attempting to prove religion wrong is part of evolution, its the drive behind it. Yes, I know some people beleive in both and I'm not exactly sure how that works. But since they have discovered over 30 different species of dinasours and have yet to discover 1 missing link from creatures which had to number in the millions over millions of years I think Darwins theory was simply that, a theory.
True, evolution occurs whatever people think of the existence of gods or not.

The reason evolution is supported by science is because all the evidence supports it and it is proved in several complimentary ways. Including DNA – that same stuff you are 100% positive about when a suspect is convicted of a crime but 0% positive about when it comes to proving your dreams are bronze age hogwash.

Nope it is not part of evolution to prove religion wrong, you don’t need evolution for that, just facts

See my avatar – a transitional fossil they you just claimed does not exist, all fossils are transitional, end of story.

What you think of a 150 year old idea is irrelevant to fact and judging by your post you do not really think too much anyway

Level 6

#118116 Jul 15, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Tell me about it. I have lots of friends from the area that would be on here burning us at stake for considering these heretical ideas. Missouri is becoming a "red state" and I think largely driven by the growth of fundamentalist religion. These outdated notions haven't completely taken over, but it is scary when a congressman (Todd Akin) suggests that it is the fault of the woman if she gets pregnant from rape. This guy torpedoed his political career, but he is still out there promoting his special brand of BS.
Cute story about the hedgehogs. We don't have those here, but we used to have a possum that would eat the cat food we left out and it got to be kind of a wild "pet" around the house.
I am glad I don’t live there. I would have been burned at the stake long ago. There are still a lot of the “the way she was dressed she deserved it” attitude when in truth is the rapist who has no control of his lust.

The possum and hedgehog look kind of similar abut I don’t believe they are related

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#118117 Jul 15, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
did ussher write the bible, or was he there when it was written, or could he translate the bible to what it meant exactly. that would be no. he is doing what all have done since the day the bible was written. the are making guesses and poor translations. like it or not those or facts.
we will never know exactly what the bible says or what and when it was talking about. those that have written it are and forever gone. accepting that is the first understanding of the bible.
Why are you insisting non-creationists answer for the >sheer idiocy< of the creationists and taking them to task for it? Clearly they are not the ones who came up with the much touted 6,000 year mark.
http://creation.com/6000-years
Are you just peevishly acting out on a grudge from some previous exchange?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#118118 Jul 15, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
then if that is what you are sticking with be ready for me to call you out when you claim there is "not" a god of the bible to the fundies. for then as well is a positive claim and is up to you to prove that which you always lay upon the fundies to prove there is a god since they claim there is. I claim there isn't a valid translation and you claim there is. same difference. you claim positive.
That is correct. That is a positive claim that I made and I can show that I am right. And now it looks like you are contradicting yourself again. You do realize that the God of the fundamentalists is disproved by both evolution and the lack of a flood, don't you?<sigh> probably not. You are having that sort of brain dead night tonight.

And once again, I claim there is a good enough translation, not a perfect translation. You just can't help being even a little bit dishonest now can you. I also supported my claim, I could support it with other articles. You made a positive statement and have not supported it at all.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#118119 Jul 15, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you insisting non-creationists answer for the >sheer idiocy< of the creationists and taking them to task for it? Clearly they are not the ones who came up with the much touted 6,000 year mark.
http://creation.com/6000-years
Are you just peevishly acting out on a grudge from some previous exchange?
wondering can't help but to make some sort of idiotic statement and then instead of apologizing for being wrong he goes off on rants that make him look worse and worse.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#118120 Jul 15, 2014
Naughtyrobot wrote:
<quoted text>How come every time someone finds a spearpoint "dated" to older dates, the evolutionary timeline gets stretched out further? I just read that a spearpoint was found in a layer that some theorize is 280,000 and could only have been made and used by "modern" man, seems like somebody is fibbing.
That is not what happens. Spearpoints are found all of the time. They don't make the news unless there is something unique about them. You might hear about the biggest spearpoint ever found. About the rarest spearpoint ever found. Or you might hear about the oldest spearpoint ever found. Of course to be the oldest the new find has to be older than previous finds. To an amateur it might seem like they are "stretching the timeline". Clearly they are not.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Threats pending

#118121 Jul 15, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am glad I don’t live there. I would have been burned at the stake long ago. There are still a lot of the “the way she was dressed she deserved it” attitude when in truth is the rapist who has no control of his lust.
The possum and hedgehog look kind of similar abut I don’t believe they are related
The possum is a remnant marsupial species. As far as I know the only one in North America, though there are more in South America.

Typical of male dominated cultures where it is the object of lust that is penalized and not the one that has the lust. Real good system to base rule on and call it just.

Level 8

Location hidden

#118122 Jul 15, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>.
I guess I was just trying to say that people sometimes jump to conclusions, some are right, some are wrong, some are in between. Some are based on wrong or inaccurate assumptions.
I like the geode example, very interesting. Sloppy work or not gathering enough evidence can mess up things.
Some people think the Earth is 6,000 yrs old, some think it 5 billion. I am not sure, maybe somewhere in between. For those that look to the Bible, which was not written in a way to give us the exact age of the planet, how long was the Earth "empty and formless"? Could have been a long time.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#118123 Jul 15, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
wondering can't help but to make some sort of idiotic statement and then instead of apologizing for being wrong he goes off on rants that make him look worse and worse.
<shrug> Everybody is wrong once in awhile and nobody likes to admit it. It's the fundamentalists who are wrong and enjoy rolling around in it.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#118124 Jul 15, 2014
Naughtyrobot wrote:
Real science does not state something for which there is no evidence, interesting. I read "science" all the time that is full of conjecture and theory and supposition based on a fragment of evidence. Tons of research on subatomic particles is based on bits of observation and a healthy dose of supposition, but it seems to work in most predictive models and seems to explain things well, but there is still a great deal we don't really know for sure about muons and quarks and stuff.
I like your hammer example, but...

What if you discover an iron hammer in a layer of earth that has been aged 1,000,000 years old, according to certain people? One might be inclined to think there were stone hammers and the infrastructure to create the iron hammer, beforehand. Right? Seems logical? One might also question the dating method and accuracy.
Yeah, what if, right? Funny how there's lots of research and hardly any evidence for anything and lots of assumptions about everything, it's amazing science even works at all, huh? Good job we don't base our assumptions on those unreliable and supposed radiometric decay rates with our nuke missiles, subs and power stations, otherwise we'd be in real trouble!

PHEW!!!

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#118125 Jul 15, 2014
Naughtyrobot wrote:
<quoted text>I guess I was just trying to say that people sometimes jump to conclusions, some are right, some are wrong, some are in between. Some are based on wrong or inaccurate assumptions.
I like the geode example, very interesting. Sloppy work or not gathering enough evidence can mess up things.
Some people think the Earth is 6,000 yrs old, some think it 5 billion. I am not sure, maybe somewhere in between. For those that look to the Bible, which was not written in a way to give us the exact age of the planet, how long was the Earth "empty and formless"? Could have been a long time.
The Bible is not an authority on the topic. It is as relevant to the age and formation of the Earth as a Dick, Jane and Sally primer.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#118127 Jul 15, 2014
get real wrote:
So your mode of attack is to repeat a silly argument which was refuted over a century ago?

Well done.

Try the 21st century some time. It's not all that bad.

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#118128 Jul 15, 2014
Naughtyrobot wrote:
<quoted text>
How come every time someone finds a spearpoint "dated" to older dates, the evolutionary timeline gets stretched out further? I just read that a spearpoint was found in a layer that some theorize is 280,000 and could only have been made and used by "modern" man, seems like somebody is fibbing.
The article you are referring concludes, I quote: "The evidence for the earliest composite projectile weaponry atGademotta 279 ka is significant because it provides direct evidence for a highly advantageous, complex technology that pre-dates the emergence of H. sapiens".
"...pre-dates the emergency of H. sapiens".

That implies the direct opposite of "only have been made and used by 'modern' man".

It is well known for decades that the first tools were not invented and used by Homo Sapiens.
The first tools were made by Homo Habilis and date back as far as 2.6 MILLION years ago. It is called the Oldowan technology. The later Homo Erectus species inherited the Oldowan technology and refined it into the Acheulean industry beginning 1.7 million years ago.

The ONLY thing the article is saying that even more advanced technology than Acheulean seems to be earlier than we previously thought. It seems that homo Erectus was even smarter than we thought.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#118129 Jul 15, 2014
Naughtyrobot wrote:
<quoted text>I guess I was just trying to say that people sometimes jump to conclusions, some are right, some are wrong, some are in between. Some are based on wrong or inaccurate assumptions.
Don't worry, just because disobedient clockwork droids aren't sure of much doesn't mean people who do science for a living are just as clueless. The Bible is irrelevant no matter what it says, and the Earth is 4.5 billion years old, give or take a few decimal points. Of course it's chemistry and physics that determine the age of the Earth, not biology so much. In other words you're claiming ALL science is wrong, not just biology. But since your computer works, obviously it's not as wrong as you think it is.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#118130 Jul 15, 2014
HMT 123 Observatory wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you won't minding me using that last sentence from time to time.
It should be considered a priceless gem of wisdom!
8:46 AM pst
John 8:4 does NOT say "Master, THIS MAN AND this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act."
No one wonders why.
get real

Holland, MI

#118131 Jul 15, 2014
Please supply us with something more than junk science and swiss cheese theories that are bias to what you would like.

Part of the theory of evolution is that it "has" to happen, in order for the creature to survive it has to adapt to its surroundings. Well, obviously man did not evolve from monkeys then, for we still have monkeys, so that evoloution did not "have" to happen.

God does not need to be proven to me, so I really have no dog in this fight, however there has yet to be presented "conclusive" proof of darwins theory, if there had been there would not be threads as this.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#118132 Jul 15, 2014
get real wrote:
Please supply us with something more than junk science and swiss cheese theories that are bias to what you would like.
Part of the theory of evolution is that it "has" to happen, in order for the creature to survive it has to adapt to its surroundings. Well, obviously man did not evolve from monkeys then, for we still have monkeys, so that evoloution did not "have" to happen.
Why are there still moneys? Ho-boy.

Man did not evolve from monkeys but descended from a ape ancestor long after the ape and monkey lines split from their common ancestor. You might want to learn about the theory before you start criticizing it.
get real wrote:
God does not need to be proven to me, so I really have no dog in this fight, however there has yet to be presented "conclusive" proof of darwins theory, if there had been there would not be threads as this.
Yet here you are with your dog.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 11 min reebie 20,481
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 39 min Anonymous 13,321
Alligator causes scare, then a laugh, in Minnesota 48 min Mitt s Airtight D... 1
Make a Story / 4 Words Only (Nov '08) 59 min Grace Nerissa 24,138
What's your tip for the day? 1 hr Enzo49 1,068
Plunging into Crocodile Pond: Thai-Style Suicide 1 hr Mitt s Airtight D... 7
Cop Car Slams Into Dunkin' Donuts 1 hr Mitt s Airtight D... 7
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Wolftracks 146,988
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr eleanorigby 36,514
•••

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••