Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 201011 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#117896 Jul 13, 2014
HOG_ the Hand of God wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter what definition of kind I use, you will never be able to say that "kind" as suggested by the bible does not include the concept of "kind" used to describe evolution or anywhere in science for that matter.
If you have a nonworking definition of kind there is nothing stopping me from using a working definition, and I can make a definition that supports evolution.
wondering

Morris, OK

#117897 Jul 13, 2014
<quoted text>
But "have some shared quality" is general and may be inclusive of "kind" in the evolutionary sense also.
So while clean and unclean is a way of classifying animals; it does not mean that that is the only implication of "kind" in ALL of the Bible and in all contexts.
<quoted text>
But how would you know that I see things that are not there?
Do you know what the author/s of the Bible intended to communicate using the specific words or expression that they chose at the time?
as i said in a prior comment; that is one way to use kind in the bible. the other ways it is used we don't really know what they meant and they probably did not know what they meant either.

made kind from their kind? wtf! how can you make a kind from their kind if their kind does not exist yet?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#117898 Jul 13, 2014
<quoted text>
That "Universe from Nothing" an ambiguous piece of insult to human intelligence.
Firstly, the idea of "nothing" was not defined.
"Philosopher of science, and physicist David Albert, in a review for The New York Times, said the book FAILED TO LIVE UP TO ITS TITLE, and he criticized Krauss for dismissing concerns about HIS USE OF THE TERM NOTHING to refer to a quantum vacuum instead of a "philosopherÂ’s or theologianÂ’s idealized 'nothing'" (I.E. instead of having the meaning "NOT ANYTHING")."[wikiped ia.com]
So your idea of a universe from nothing is only valid in a certain context.
If there was something, anything at all, even virtual particles; your idea of a universe from "nothing" is meaningless and false.
So you are back to square zero (not even square one).
Actually "nothing" was defined. It was shown not to exist. You did not watch the video or read the book. An you congratulations on finding one critic of the book. The problem is that Albert tried to use a philosopher's definition of physics and not a realists. I really don't give a rat's ass about the opinion of philosophers.

What Krauss demonstrated is that "nothing" is impossible in our universe. The concept is a false concept. There is no empty space in our universe, at the very least you will have a space that is occupied by virtual particles.
wondering

Morris, OK

#117899 Jul 13, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, that is a fail on your part. This was supposed to be a working definition. If I gave you photographs of two groups of animals could you tell me if they were the same kind or not and why or why not would they be the same kind?
All you have is a undefined term, it is worthless in a scientific argument. So if you try to claim that the Bible says animals reproduce after their kind I will point out that that supports evolution, depending upon your definition of kind. There is no "change of kind" in evolution.
technically their is only "a" kind. we all, every living thing evolved from the same life form that started life. so all of life is of the technically same kind because we all descend from the very first life form. now you can call different clades or kingdoms, phylum, class, order, family, tribe, genus, species, ect or whatever but they are nothing more than labels of how we try and do separate them into smaller groups. the true only "kind" being we all evolved from that first spark of life is the "living kind" and after death there is the "dead kind"

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#117901 Jul 13, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
But you do because you are the HOG? Grandiose and delusional.. the whole package.
<quoted text>
No.

I do because I actually do the research and acquaint myself with the culture and methods of thinking of the people who influenced its writing.
ChromiuMan wrote:
Just call it an educated guess.
Actually, I think I'll just call it "Grandiose and delusional.. the whole package"

Location hidden

#117902 Jul 13, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, that is a fail on your part. This was supposed to be a working definition. If I gave you photographs of two groups of animals could you tell me if they were the same kind or not and why or why not would they be the same kind?
Why dont you try me?
Subduction Zone wrote:
All you have is a undefined term, it is worthless in a scientific argument.
Your attempt to put common and local knowledge away from me is futile.

I have presented a definition of "kind".

Now is it in direct conflict with whatever definition of "kind" you have or not?
Subduction Zone wrote:
So if you try to claim that the Bible says animals reproduce after their kind I will point out that that supports evolution, depending upon your definition of kind.
Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?
Subduction Zone wrote:
There is no "change of kind" in evolution.
Does there need to be?

Location hidden

#117903 Jul 13, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
as i said in a prior comment; that is one way to use kind in the bible. the other ways it is used we don't really know what they meant and they probably did not know what they meant either.
LOL!

Describe the what they meant that they probably did not know what they meant either.
wondering wrote:
made kind from their kind? wtf! how can you make a kind from their kind if their kind does not exist yet?
Technically their kind already existed in the "Consciousness of God", so in a manner of speaking; the "ARCHETYPE" of all things already existed.

That may be another way of saying all things existed as their potentials, prior to there formation.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#117904 Jul 13, 2014
<quoted text>
Why dont you try me?
<quoted text>
Now is it in direct conflict with whatever definition of "kind" you have or not?
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Does there need to be?
And it is of no value. I have told you both in private message and openly that a version that does not allow you to test to groups to see if they are of the same kind or not is worthless. It is a term without any meaning behind it.

Since you are denying evolution I will ask you if beagles and German Shepherds are the same kind or not. Why or why not?

Location hidden

#117905 Jul 13, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually "nothing" was defined. It was shown not to exist.
Explain yourself.

If nothing was shown not to exist; then there is no such thing as nothing. As such, a universe from "nothing" is mere... imagination.

You present that ambiguous mumbo jumbo and then some of you would accuse me of being "vague"?

LOL!
Subduction Zone wrote:
<
The problem is that Albert tried to use a philosopher's definition of physics and not a realists. I really don't give a rat's ass about the opinion of philosophers.
The value of the individual's claim has nothing to do with the label that you attach to him/her.

You speak of realism so you know that.

The fact is that there is a need to distinguish between the condition of "not any thing" a quantum condition or case where there is something that may be described as "nothing".
Subduction Zone wrote:
What Krauss demonstrated is that "nothing" is impossible in our universe. The concept is a false concept. There is no empty space in our universe, at the very least you will have a space that is occupied by virtual particles.
BRILLIANT!

So there is no way for you to say that nothing is the cause of the universe or the natural world.

Back to God and metaphysics it is.

Location hidden

#117906 Jul 13, 2014
Correction:

The fact is that there is a need to distinguish between the condition of "not any thing" AND a quantum condition or case where there is something that may be described as "nothing".
wondering

Morris, OK

#117907 Jul 13, 2014
<quoted text>
LOL!
Describe the what they meant that they probably did not know what they meant either.
<quoted text>
Technically their kind already existed in the "Consciousness of God", so in a manner of speaking; the "ARCHETYPE" of all things already existed.
That may be another way of saying all things existed as their potentials, prior to there formation.
god has a conscious? how does that work when he lets so many suffer starving and so many suffer from disease and then let so many die die young from both all the time. he consciously does all that on purpose?

Location hidden

#117908 Jul 13, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
And it is of no value. I have told you both in private message and openly that a version that does not allow you to test to groups to see if they are of the same kind or not is worthless. It is a term without any meaning behind it.
So how would I form a definition such as "category" or "class" for "kind", if there was no "test"?

Are "different types" not observable in nature?

Are you mad?
Subduction Zone wrote:
Since you are denying evolution I will ask you if beagles and German Shepherds are the same kind or not. Why or why not?
DID I DENY EVOLUTION?

LOL!!!!!!!!

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#117909 Jul 13, 2014
<quoted text>
No.
I do because I actually do the research and acquaint myself with the culture and methods of thinking of the people who influenced its writing.
<quoted text>
Actually, I think I'll just call it "Grandiose and delusional.. the whole package"
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are trying to equate "kind" as used in the Bible as somehow fitting into modern taxonomic rankings?
Do you see anyone else here promoting themselves to "Hand of God"?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#117910 Jul 13, 2014
<quoted text>
So how would I form a definition such as "category" or "class" for "kind", if there was no "test"?
Are you mad?
<quoted text>
DID I DENY EVOLUTION?
LOL!!!!!!!!
If you accept evolution then what are you doing here with a name like HOG?

But at least it is good to know that you accept the theory of evolution. If you want to pretend your invisible friend had a hand in man's evolution it does not bother me. Of course we all know that the Adam and Eve myth is bogus. It is a story of a corrupt religion. Thankfully most Christians don't give it anything more than lip service.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#117911 Jul 13, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
technically their is only "a" kind. we all, every living thing evolved from the same life form that started life. so all of life is of the technically same kind because we all descend from the very first life form. now you can call different clades or kingdoms, phylum, class, order, family, tribe, genus, species, ect or whatever but they are nothing more than labels of how we try and do separate them into smaller groups. the true only "kind" being we all evolved from that first spark of life is the "living kind" and after death there is the "dead kind"
Clades are a useful tool in biology. Yes technically all life belongs to one giant clade. But you can start a clade anywhere. It could be as small as you and any of your offspring. As long as a clade is properly defined it can help us separate animals into useful groups.
wondering

Morris, OK

#117912 Jul 13, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Clades are a useful tool in biology. Yes technically all life belongs to one giant clade. But you can start a clade anywhere. It could be as small as you and any of your offspring. As long as a clade is properly defined it can help us separate animals into useful groups.
you are trying to use clade too simply. my off spring would also have to include the other parent in that clade.

“Wrath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#117913 Jul 13, 2014
<quoted text>
Why dont you try me?
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Does there need to be?
Except there are several examples of "kinds" in the bible , not just the ones you presented. It's a fact that in the bible "kind" was a very loose term.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#117914 Jul 13, 2014
<quoted text>
Are you mad?
<quoted text>
DID I DENY EVOLUTION?
LOL!!!!!!!!
That'll do pig.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#117915 Jul 13, 2014
<quoted text>
Are you mad?
<quoted text>
DID I DENY EVOLUTION?
LOL!!!!!!!!
You know God is going to get upset when he finds out what you have been touching with His hand.
wondering

Morris, OK

#117916 Jul 13, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>That'll do pig.
that was a good movie. "the replacements" is were that quote came from. the little australian kicker talking to the big sumoa boy linebacker during practice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 5 min avon5735 82,313
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 5 min CJ Rocker 3,643
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 6 min Sharlene45 194,116
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 7 min avon5735 11,700
What Could Be Hot? (May '15) 8 min Ferrerman 766
2words into 2new words (May '12) 9 min CJ Rocker 2,807
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 11 min CJ Rocker 10,298
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 32 min Bad Bex 8,453
TRUMP, Donald (Jun '15) 58 min Family man 145
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 1 hr Jack 7,790