Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#117370 Jul 9, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
others?? you seem to not notice you have not been backed by many if any lately. you always say "we" when it is just you. but you are right others are seeing your idiocy and not speaki ng or taking up for you as much any more, if they even do at all. deal with it for that is life you idiot jack wagon.
I back SZ. Probably the reason why most of us don't respond to you is because YOU come across as an idiot jack wagon and a waste of time. Besides, SZ seems to be handling you just fine.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#117371 Jul 9, 2014
wondering wrote:
what are you like a half breed of stupid and dumb? maybe like jap and lower american?
And I'll add bigot to your list of qualifications.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#117372 Jul 9, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
language is learned at the speed of light compared to the time of evolution so yes that was and is a very poor and sad analogy. If you follow and support evolution you will see the point. a man speaking only english today can learn spanish in mere weeks but he will not evolve for 1000s of years. comprenda omigo or do you entender espanol?
The point in the analogy was not about how long it takes to learn a language, but that it took a long time for the language to change. Learning to speak a language is irrelevant in this context.

I guess you fundies can never get out of that silly mindset of dog giving birth to a cat.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#117373 Jul 9, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
it is as sad as idiots like you saying gravity is fact and evolution is fact. bad comparison! any moron can go and throw a rock in the air and see that gravity is has an effect. it is not that simple with gravity or evolution. comparing evolution as fact because gravity is fact only shows your weakness and shows that you do not understand either one of them at all. we still have much to learn about both so as we uns=derstand them at this point, we can not claim either is fact.
for there is much to be learned about both and it is too early to call either one of them as we understand them a fact!
Uhuh. Gravity is only a theory!

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#117374 Jul 9, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
And I'll add bigot to your list of qualifications.
I second that
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#117375 Jul 9, 2014
wondering wrote:
1) so if some of the populations acquire the mutations and some dont
Your thinking is wrong. There are no "specific" mutations that must occur for speciation to happen. ALL organisms are born with mutations. ALL mutations can lead to speciation.
wondering wrote:
but yet they all stay in the same population,,, when and what decides for them to break off from the population?
Geographic or genetic isolation.

No-one "decides".
wondering wrote:
2) so since a wolf cannot breed with a pekingese does that make them a different species?
It depends on how you look at it. A great dane can't mate with a chihuahua, so technically may be viewed as different species. However some may point out that they would be genetically viable if their genes were mixed in a lab. So for all practical purposes they may be different species because they cannot mate in the wild. But genetically they may still be the same species if they can still breed that way. However eventually diversification will occur so one population won't be genetically viable with another anymore.
wondering wrote:
3) again so since a wolf cannot breed with a pekingese does that make them a different species?
Again, see above. In reality as divergence occurs what you will get is that two genetically disparate organisms within a population attempt to breed, and their chances of having offspring will be lower. As the population continues to diversify, the chances will continue to drop for those at either end of the specrum, until it reaches a point where they can simply no longer breed at all. That's when they can be considered a separate species.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#117376 Jul 9, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
No, he's saying that in his mind evolution is compared with gravity as an observable fact. Of course both >are< observed, but apparently he's got some instant gratification issues - that would explain the crack....
Maybe I misunderstood, but it looks much like saying a clock is on the 5:00 O clock position, my watch has 5:00 when I look at it.
I ask someone else ,,,What time is it ?.
They say it's 5:00, and then responding by saying it isn't 5:00 .
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#117377 Jul 9, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I back SZ. Probably the reason why most of us don't respond to you is because YOU come across as an idiot jack wagon and a waste of time. Besides, SZ seems to be handling you just fine.
Bingo.
Wholly Silicon Wafer

Philadelphia, PA

#117379 Jul 9, 2014
I see we're arguing whether the earth is round and what "theory" means.

Praiz, them talibangelicals are clueless.

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#117380 Jul 9, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> English do originated in England. Why would i listen your trash. The head of every homes are the men.
No it did not, it originates from the Germanic dialects spoken in nowadays Denmark and northern Germany. Old-English resembles in every aspect those dialects more than modern-English. Anglo-Saxon, another word for Old-English was spoken by those tribes, was spoken by the Angles, Saxons and Jutes who invaded Britain in the early 5th century and spoken until about 1000 in England. The big language shift that led to Middle English and later modern English came after 1066 (when the Early-French speaking Normans conquered the land and superimposed their language in court, law and rule).

I think I told this before.
If you don't address this arguments by just repeating your crap, don't waste my time any more. I'm fed up debating people who do not debate.

the Earth Clod

#117381 Jul 9, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo.
Indeed. I add that there are no debates with him because he addresses no posts and just keeps on reciting his crap. There is no interaction.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#117382 Jul 9, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!!!
You did not understand his analogy at all.
Let me try the same analogy from a different approach.
Everyone knows that Spanish, French, and Italian all arose from Latin. A Latin speaker could not understand a Spaniard, Frenchman, or an Italian and vice versa, though they could all learn each others languages in time. The point was that the change from Latin to these other languages was a slow EVOLUTIONARY one. No Latin speaking mother ever raised a Spanish speaking son. The languages the two spoke was always the same. Now the languages both of them spoke was Latin to start with, but over the many generations the language changed. At some point you would say their language was not Spanish, nor was it Latin, it was something else.
The same applies to the hummingbird. Biologists are very sure that hummingbirds are related to swifts. And the forerunner of hummingbirds would have looked like a swift of today. Now over the many million years, and they project back to roughly 40 million years ago, the species slowly changed as they evolved to consume more and more nectar. They are still insectivores today. That is where they get their protein from, and a wise person would have asked themselves "how can hummingbirds exit on nectar alone?" and would have been halfway to solving the problem right there. At no point did a non-hummingbird mother lay hummingbird eggs. The change was so gradual you would have thought that there was none until you looked at all of the change added together. It is really just that simple. Early on more nectar consumption meant that they could spend more time going after insects and nectar also gave them the ability to fly faster and faster. Again, these were slow gradual changes.
Very good analogy. Kudos.

Sao Paulo

#117383 Jul 9, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
language is learned at the speed of light compared to the time of evolution so yes that was and is a very poor and sad analogy. If you follow and support evolution you will see the point. a man speaking only english today can learn spanish in mere weeks but he will not evolve for 1000s of years. comprenda omigo or do you entender espanol?
You just aren't seeing it. The analogy is not about learning a language, it is the evolution of language over time. In the same way 1 language branches out into several is the analogy on how a species will do the same. Of course it's not the same thing, but it's an excellent comparison.

Sao Paulo

#117384 Jul 9, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
*Raising hand*
Me too...

the Earth Clod

#117385 Jul 9, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> English do originated in England. Why would i listen your trash. The head of every homes are the men.
In YOUR home.
NOT in MINE and NOT in most modern marriages.
I PREFER a woman who doesn't OBEY but says what she thinks is proper to say.
And who takes THE LEAD in the things SHE is good at.
I DON'T NEED to feel good as a man but by dominating and bring to submission.

Apart from the miserable decisions men often make.

In modern management we recognize that mixed leadership in companies greatly enhance their success factor.

The world changes around you and you cannot keep pace with it.
As I said, you mentally still live in the Bronze age.
You mimic the culture of goat herding nomadic tribes somewhere in the middle east 4,500 years ago.

Good luck with it but WE live in the 21st century.

Wonder who will drag you into the next century. Which in your case will be the th BC.

the Earth Clod

#117386 Jul 9, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
this is a total crock of crap. a person can learn language in a mere few years. it took more than a mere few years for the hummingbird. surely you can come up with a better analogy that that.
You are not even able to follow the very obvious analogies.
I shall reformulate my post especially to fit your muddled head:

A child born in London in the 9th century, would LEARN to speak this language:
"a ws Hrogare heresped gyfen, wiges weormynd
t him his winemagas georne hyrdon,
ot seo geogod geweox, magodriht micel".

IT WOULD TOOK HIM A FEW YEARS TO LEARN IT.
This child could understand his parents, kin and peers.

A child born in London today will recite the same text in Modern English as:
"To Hrothgar was given such glory of war,
obeyed him gladly till great grew his band, of youthful comrades.
such honor of combat, that all his kin".

IT WOULD TOOK HIM ALSO A FEW YEARS TO LEARN IT.

This child also could understand his parents, kin and peers.

YET old Anglo-Saxon language has evolved into modern English.
And EVERY child ever born in those 1200 years would learn HIS LANGUAGE IN A FEW YEARS and would be able to understand his parents, kin and peers.

Got it now?

WHY are we always engage in THIS utter STUPID and REDICULOUS rantings when debating creationists.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#117387 Jul 9, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Isn't that Green Lantern?
Yup.

And Niven is probably the greatest living sci-fi writer. Leaves all the hard sciency bits in.

Sao Paulo

#117388 Jul 9, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
In YOUR home.
NOT in MINE and NOT in most modern marriages.
I PREFER a woman who doesn't OBEY but says what she thinks is proper to say.
And who takes THE LEAD in the things SHE is good at.
I DON'T NEED to feel good as a man but by dominating and bring to submission.
Apart from the miserable decisions men often make.
In modern management we recognize that mixed leadership in companies greatly enhance their success factor.
The world changes around you and you cannot keep pace with it.
As I said, you mentally still live in the Bronze age.
You mimic the culture of goat herding nomadic tribes somewhere in the middle east 4,500 years ago.
Good luck with it but WE live in the 21st century.
Wonder who will drag you into the next century. Which in your case will be the th BC.
Well said.

I am the head of my household only when my wife says I am.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#117389 Jul 9, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Maybe I misunderstood, but it looks much like saying a clock is on the 5:00 O clock position, my watch has 5:00 when I look at it.
I ask someone else ,,,What time is it ?.
They say it's 5:00, and then responding by saying it isn't 5:00 .
I read it as he threw a rock into the air but didn't see a process of genetic mutations over many generations. I'm guessing that has something to do with why fundies say God instantaneously created chickens & eggs.
Well, they do say too much crack leads to psychosis...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#117390 Jul 9, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
At least a sensible question here.
Because the crossover changes are tiny steps, accumulating in thousands of generations.
Every single-generational step is too tiny to compromise the bird's or flower's survival ability.
Compare it with language.
A child born in London in the 9th century, spoke this language:
a ws Hrogare heresped gyfen, wiges weormynd
t him his winemagas georne hyrdon,
ot seo geogod geweox, magodriht micel.
This child could understand his parents, kin and peers.
A child born in London today would recite the same text as:
To Hrothgar was given such glory of war,
obeyed him gladly till great grew his band, of youthful comrades.
such honor of combat, that all his kin.
This child also could understand his parents, kin and peers.
YET old Anglo-Saxon language has evolved into modern English.
And EVERY child ever born in those 1200 years could understand his parents, kin and peers.
Hwaet.

I'm a fan also.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 6 min Princess Hey 9,358
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 9 min Princess Hey 7,209
last word - first (Jun '12) 11 min Princess Hey 7,367
Name a smell you love to smell! (Jan '14) 12 min wichita-rick 643
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 25 min wichita-rick 155,409
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 27 min Mega Monster 28,825
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 37 min Mega Monster 8,842
Why do YOU get on Topix? 47 min Dr Wu 27
Dave's bar and grill,is now open. (May '13) 48 min zedme 5,829
Lets Discuss Men (Dec '13) 2 hr Sublime1 564