Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 204908 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#116679 Jul 3, 2014
Petal Power wrote:
Still Deciding on this One..
GET A FREAKIN' LIFE!!
Go away then.(shrug)

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#116680 Jul 3, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmmmm .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =vhJVfbmSZPMXX
:-)

http://rejectingjesus.files.wordpress.com/201...
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#116681 Jul 3, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> What is your stand, are you saying English did not started in England? Yes or no?
Now, if no, name one place in Europe, North America, Africa, Asia, Australia, etc, that were not influenced by England. That takes English as first language or lingua franca?
You don't understand A BIT of what I am saying.
I think you just lack the faculties for it.

My answer is: no, the "English" language did not start in England.
"Old English" or (Anglo-Saxon as it is often called) as distinct Germanic language was already spoken by the Angles, Jutes and Saxons before they even set one foot on England.
The dialect differences between Anglo, Saxon and the Gothic spoken at those days were merely dialects and to a high degree mutual intelligible. They all originated from nowadays Denmark and Schleswig-Holstein and a small part of Northern Germany.

The difference between Old-English and the dialects spoken by the Saxons, Jutes and Angles is far less larger than between Old-English and Middle English. A medieval Saxon, migrating from Denmark to England in the year 800, although separated linguistically by almost 400 years from the "Aengliscs", would not have had much problems understanding the language spoken there. Just a few days accustoming to the sounds and some new words would probably had done the trick.

The big changes in the English language went on in the period 1100-1450.

You MAY then say that "English" started in 1100-1200 but unfortunately the Angles, Saxons and Jutes that lived in England before 1100, called their own language "Aenglisc". and Old-English it was indeed.

Here a fragment in Old-English (Anglo-Saxon):
urne gedæghwamlican hlaf syle us todæg
and forgyf us ure gyltas
swa swa we forgyfað urum gyltendum
and ne gelæd þu us on costnunge
ac alys us of yfele soþlice.

Do you understand it?
I bet you won't without looking it up on Google by copy&paste it.

It is part of the Lord's prayer.

This is "your" English spoken by "your" English people in 900.
Is this "English"? You tell us.

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#116682 Jul 3, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't understand A BIT of what I am saying.
I think you just lack the faculties for it.
My answer is: no, the "English" language did not start in England.
"Old English" or (Anglo-Saxon as it is often called) as distinct Germanic language was already spoken by the Angles, Jutes and Saxons before they even set one foot on England.
The dialect differences between Anglo, Saxon and the Gothic spoken at those days were merely dialects and to a high degree mutual intelligible. They all originated from nowadays Denmark and Schleswig-Holstein and a small part of Northern Germany.
The difference between Old-English and the dialects spoken by the Saxons, Jutes and Angles is far less larger than between Old-English and Middle English. A medieval Saxon, migrating from Denmark to England in the year 800, although separated linguistically by almost 400 years from the "Aengliscs", would not have had much problems understanding the language spoken there. Just a few days accustoming to the sounds and some new words would probably had done the trick.
The big changes in the English language went on in the period 1100-1450.
You MAY then say that "English" started in 1100-1200 but unfortunately the Angles, Saxons and Jutes that lived in England before 1100, called their own language "Aenglisc". and Old-English it was indeed.
Here a fragment in Old-English (Anglo-Saxon):
urne gedæghwamlican hlaf syle us todæg
and forgyf us ure gyltas
swa swa we forgyfað urum gyltendum
and ne gelæd þu us on costnunge
ac alys us of yfele soþlice.
Do you understand it?
I bet you won't without looking it up on Google by copy&paste it.
It is part of the Lord's prayer.
This is "your" English spoken by "your" English people in 900.
Is this "English"? You tell us.
We have been trying to explain this to him for more than 2 years now

Casting pearls before swine comes to mind

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#116683 Jul 3, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>So if an event in Washington takes place and the time is checked that same event can't take place in China at the same moment because there is a disparity in time. But events take place in those two locations all the time. How is it that they don't overlap somewhere?
Empirical evidence has spoken, so STFU.

"... time dilation has been REPEATEDLY DEMONSTRATED (see experimental confirmation below), for instance by small disparities in atomic clocks on Earth and in space, even though both clocks work perfectly (it is not a mechanical malfunction). The laws of nature are such that time itself (i.e. spacetime) will bend due to differences in either gravity or velocity – each of which affects time in different ways." [WIKIPEDIA.COM]

So either you find a way to suggest that what the findings reveals, has nothing to do with what I am suggesting or go F yourself... with a... cucumber.

Location hidden

#116684 Jul 3, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot there is a M irl , the M is a monkey wrench that nobody was counting that pops up every time we thought we had it all figured out. Where life or quantum mechanics are concerned, the M says X and Y can mimic each other or even switch to Z.
So we just start all over again and again and again.
So?

Location hidden

#116685 Jul 3, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Time is different in different places, but how does that equate to events not occurring simultaneously. What if you take in the time difference? I am curious. Even chatting with a hog turd can yield something useful.
Your question is irrelevant. The implications are obvious so there is no need to ask that question.

Time is different at different points.

Time is the same at the same point.

If two things happen at different times in different places; they are different things.

If two things happen at the exact same time in the exact same place; they are the same things.

“Help religion science wander”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

into the night.

#116686 Jul 3, 2014
HOG_ the Hand of God wrote:
<quoted text>
Empirical evidence has spoken, so STFU.
"... time dilation has been REPEATEDLY DEMONSTRATED (see experimental confirmation below), for instance by small disparities in atomic clocks on Earth and in space, even though both clocks work perfectly (it is not a mechanical malfunction). The laws of nature are such that time itself (i.e. spacetime) will bend due to differences in either gravity or velocity – each of which affects time in different ways." [WIKIPEDIA.COM]
So either you find a way to suggest that what the findings reveals, has nothing to do with what I am suggesting or go F yourself... with a... cucumber.
I missed you most of all scarecrow.

What have you been doing with your nasty self?

You are very confused and don't know what you are talking about. Take it easy. Relax. Maybe some hot mud and a big ole trough full of slop will help you wind down. You know with all that smoking you do and your angry personality, you are headed for a coronary.

Level 9

into the night.

#116687 Jul 3, 2014
<quoted text>
Your question is irrelevant. The implications are obvious so there is no need to ask that question.
Time is different at different points.
Time is the same at the same point.
If two things happen at different times in different places; they are different things.
If two things happen at the exact same time in the exact same place; they are the same things.
Yes, you totally don't seem to have the technical savvy to understand my question let alone answer it. Thanks for playing. I have a nice toaster for you as a consolation.

So there is this dude on another thread that is going to this anti-evolution rally on the 6th. I hear you are going to be there. They are roasting a big ole fat hog afterwards. Sorry to hear about your untimely end, but hey you get to smoke.

Location hidden

#116688 Jul 3, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you mean but if time cannot be accurate then how can that be proven that things cannot happen at the same time when time is of the essence?
I'm not arguing with you. You've just gotten my wheels turning and I like it!
I would have preferred to have an argument.

At least when we are arguing I would be sure that you are not being pretentious in defending your point or accepting mine.

Nevertheless, I would not say that the observation suggests that "time cannot be accurate":
after all , it is possible to measure specific times in multiple locations.

Perhaps it does suggest that "time cannot be accurate", but my perspective does not allow me to see it; at least not yet.

It does suggest from my perspective however, that the idea that there could only have been one first thing could have existed is true.

Hence the Christian assumption that there is an entity which alone was before all things; is justifiable.

Location hidden

#116689 Jul 3, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no doubt that God as described in the Bible is anthropomorphic.
The only way for you to be certain of that is for you to prove that YHWH does not exist in reality.

Can you prove that the elements or influences described anthropomorphically as YHWH do not exist?
ChromiuMan wrote:
You make the claim that a biological process is also described in anthropomorphic terms. It is not.
Actually, I have presented evidence and identified cases where it IS described in anthropomorphic terms.

Where is you evidence of the contrary?
ChromiuMan wrote:
You propose that a HUMAN-LIKE entity...
DID I?

I could just end the conversation right here, but I'm actually having fun.

What was your occupation again?
ChromiuMan wrote:
... I'd say that's as close to automatically rendering what is described as invalid and meaningless as anyone is likely to get.
If that conclusion is based on the assumptions you made as suggested by your remarks; it is of no value- utter rubbish.

Location hidden

#116690 Jul 3, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no doubt that God as described in the Bible is anthropomorphic...
No. Thats dunce.

A more honest and more accurate remark would be:

"There is no doubt that the description of God in the Bible is anthropomorphic."

Level 9

into the night.

#116691 Jul 3, 2014
<quoted text>
I could just end the conversation right here
Waits in anticipation, munching popcorn.

I'm behind you on this all the way. Couldn't agree more. Good show. Brilliant idea. Best one you have ever had.

Level 9

into the night.

#116692 Jul 3, 2014
<quoted text>
No. Thats dunce.
A more honest and more accurate remark would be:
"There is no doubt that the description of God in the Bible is anthropomorphic."
Are you in one of those work release programs? Do you use cigarettes like money? Is that why you are always posting about them?

Just curious about where you have been keep you nasty ass holed up.

Level 9

into the night.

#116694 Jul 3, 2014
<quoted text>
What particular questions?
<quoted text>
Are you disagreeing with me or agreeing with me?
Why, whichever the case may be?
<quoted text>
The logic that does not depend on equality, is not logical.
It may be to logic to you, be not to me.
...that which lacks equality will tend to inequalities and is hence inaccurate and discontinuous- tending to error, suffering and death.
<quoted text>
So?
*smokes a cigarette while polishing flash bang grenades, loads M9 beretta pistol with 9mm cartridges, packs some extra magazines and heads towards Pol dressed in black from head to toes*
I see. Psychiatric hospital. Nuff said.

Level 9

into the night.

#116695 Jul 3, 2014
<quoted text>
What particular questions?
<quoted text>
Are you disagreeing with me or agreeing with me?
Why, whichever the case may be?
<quoted text>
The logic that does not depend on equality, is not logical.
It may be to logic to you, be not to me.
...that which lacks equality will tend to inequalities and is hence inaccurate and discontinuous- tending to error, suffering and death.
<quoted text>
So?
*smokes a cigarette while polishing flash bang grenades, loads M9 beretta pistol with 9mm cartridges, packs some extra magazines and heads towards Pol dressed in black from head to toes*
Just out of curiosity, are you attacking the poi or just going to eat it?

Location hidden

#116697 Jul 3, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I do. Science isn't certain. never has been, never will be.
*Poly puts a revolver to his own temple and blows his/her/its own brains out on the wall*
polymath257 wrote:
But it gives a very high degree of probability and that is sufficient to learn about the universe.
*The HOG arrives on the scene; notices Poly's suicide; disappointed he tosses flash bang grenade in the room with Poly's body anyways, charges in and puts 2 rounds to Poly's chest and 1 to Poly's head regardless, lights cigarette, plows smoke in the ceiling, spits on the ground and leaves the building.*

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#116698 Jul 3, 2014
This is why I have a problem with some of science. Why would you want to create something like this?

Researchers May Have Created A H1N1 Flu Strain Capable Of Evading The Immune System.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine...

Location hidden

#116699 Jul 3, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, you totally don't seem to have the technical savvy to understand my question let alone answer it...
Technical savvy is not required to address any question.

All that is necessary is to know what the words mean.

Either rephrase the question, making sure to define the terms (if the definitions I assumed are inaccurate); OR dig deeper... with that cucumber.

Location hidden

#116700 Jul 3, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
... Just curious about where you have been keep you nasty ass holed up.
I once heard that homosexuality is a form of mental complication and I'm beginning to think that they are right.

First you demonstrate that you cannot think straight; then take an interest in "nasty ass[es]".

If 1 + 1 = 2: you (Dan) are gay.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 1 min former smoker 33,206
"Any 3 word combination" (Dec '12) 2 min Old Sam 2,858
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 3 min Old Sam 9,112
4 Word Game (Use Same Letter) (Dec '14) 3 min andet1987 1,168
3 Word Sentence (each word, one syllable only) (Jan '15) 6 min andet1987 1,021
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 6 min Old Sam 31,846
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 7 min Old Sam 4,293
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 20 min Melt down 8,832
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 45 min Sharlene45 197,421
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr 8541 MARINE 59,796
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 5 hr Denny CranesPlace 20,021
More from around the web