Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 205264 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#116534 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
I know this is going to be like finding $500 on the ground in a crowd of peasants and asking who it belongs to(everyone's hand will go up) but is there actually anyone here that holds a PHD in any scientific field? Most here seem like parrots looking for a cracker.
I have a PhD in mathematics and have passed the PhD qualifying exams in physics. I haven't done a dissertation in physics.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#116535 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
us being here has nothing to do with it. you do realize that we don't see out to far away objects in space that is why it is like looking back in time. a star that we can see light from at 5 million light years away could have went supernova 4 million light years ago but yet we will still see the light of that star. the picture was to show what we see in that picture is not the same as now(back in time to present. it was not meant to confuse you). anything we see in space that is 1000 or more light years away may or may not be there. the edge of the universe is billions of light years away and could be pulsating, could be at a stand still, could be expanding.or could be collapsing back in for all we know.
Why do you think there is an edge?

“Wrath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#116536 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
mickey mouse links is all you use. try some science links.
Edge of the Universe
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/edge-univ...
or you can use your wiki
Assuming the universe is isotropic, the distance to the edge of the observable universe is roughly the same in every direction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_unive...

You call a link to a book that contains no words or information a "real" science link?

I also said the only edge we can see is the light horizon, wihich is the edge of the observable universe . The key word here is
"observable" , but we were talking an edge to the actual universe.
We tend to see that the edge of the observable universe would always be at that distance no matter where you are. So of you moved that to the distance toward it it will still appear the same distance away at any position. Think of it like a mirage , we can see the water in the distance , but no matter how far we move toward it, it still stays away in the distance.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#116537 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
the galaxies you see that are millions of light years away and are not being seen in present time. how can you not understand that? you think if a galaxy shifts tomorrow, gets sucked into a black hole tomorrow or the whole galaxy goes supernova chain reaction tomorrow that we will know it tomorrow night?
A galaxy won't get sucked into a black hole in a mere 10 million years. And it also won't go supernova in a chain reaction. You are imagining scenarios that are simply not possible. Yes, individual stars will be different. But the galaxies are collections of hundreds of billions of stars. They don't change rapidly.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#116538 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
yes as i said but now use that same thinking and you think you can tell by using things as far or farther away in those red/blue shift measurements and tell what is going on millions of light years away?
More specifically, we can tell what *was* going on millions of light years away *in the past*.
for all we know there is a super black hole that is sucking up the universe pulling objects/matter to it, spreading out the objects in space. for the closer they are to that black hole the faster they will be pulled in and there is your expansion universe effect of things spreading out you see.
Nope. Not even close to a possible explanation of the observations.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#116539 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
you are the one that makes no sense. you agree about a star 5 million light years away going supernova and not being seen by us here in the now yet but don't understand the same principle applies to the red/blue shifts.
The comparison is between the galaxy 5 million years ago and us now. So?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#116540 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
you mean sagittarius a, sgr a. You need to drop a few a's there. also not is not a star. that is in a galaxy where as I said universe.
You just fell off the deep end.

Sgr A* is a star (actually a black hole) inside *our* galaxy. Most galaxies have black holes in them. Those black holes aren't going to be sucking in the galaxies any time soon--most of the stars in the galaxies are actually orbiting the back hole.

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#116541 Jul 2, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Total crap!
You have none to date. GUESSING OR PROJECTIONS ARE NOT ANSWERS, BUT SPECULATIONS.
And still you have not provided any clue where I can find this research into immortality that you are begging me to review

LOL, irony meter it go bang

Unlike your god dream there is no guessing involved, do you know when you are going to die? Does anyone else? I rest my case.

The life span is not guessing or even logic based on evidence, it is scientific FACT, there is a considerable amount of data, examples...
https://www.fightaging.org/archives/2003/01/t...
http://www.sarahwoodbury.com/life-expectancy-...
http://evmedreview.com/wp-content/uploads/201...
http://mappinghistory.uoregon.edu/english/US/...
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#116542 Jul 2, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I think new instructions may be passed on to progeny, but the original life forms were the same kind they always were.
I don't think so.
And this is why:
1) Randomly everywhere you dig, you observe earth layers. There is virtually no exception to this rule.
2) By very logic, a layer below another layer is older than the on on top.
3) Hence, the deeper you dig, the older the layer.
4) In these subsequent layers we find remnants of life (most fossils).

Go to http://www.oldearth.org/grandcanyon.htm . Mind the source BTW, a creationist website. There the stratification of the Grand Canyon is painstakingly described. It comes in 5 pages.

5) What we observe is that with every deeper layer, life changes. New species appears and others disappear.
6) Moreover, if you go deeper, life gradually becomes more primitive.
7) Eventually, in the deepest layers, we only observe unicellular life (bacteria). Not any other single life form is found in those layers. Only bacteria. If we ascend in the geological column, ever more new life forms appear (and disappear) and life gradually becomes ever more complex. Humans are newcomers. Their remains are only found in a few layers on top of a pile of thousands of layers.

Mind that I didn't imply anything about the age of the earth. I only observed that deeper layers are by very logic older than the ones on top.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#116543 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
moron statement of the century "we would have to see that starting hundreds or billions of ly away , we would see it here" you are correct. anything NEW that happens millions or billions of light years away we will see it with in 24 hours.
No. But then, nobody claimed that.
i don't waste too much of my time arguing with a moron. you are right again if the universe's edge/edges started collapsing tomorrow we would know it tomorrow night even though they are billions of light years away. you can sleep better now.
There is no edge.
wondering

Morris, OK

#116544 Jul 2, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think there is an edge?
"According to NASA, scientists know that the universe is flat with only about a 0.4 percent margin of error (as of 2013).

The shape of the universe depends on its density. If the density is more than the critical density, the universe is closed and curves like a sphere; if less, it will curve like a saddle. But if the actual density of the universe is equal to the critical density, as scientists think it is, then it will extend forever like a flat piece of paper."
http://www.space.com/24309-shape-of-the-unive...

thought to be still be expanding out, as anything flat, it has edges and those edges just keep getting pushed further away.

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#116545 Jul 2, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Tell that to your self. It is not true.
Yes it is... otherwise you would prove it was not true and you can’t...your turn.
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#116546 Jul 2, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a PhD in mathematics and have passed the PhD qualifying exams in physics. I haven't done a dissertation in physics.
I have a PhD in sociobiology.
My dissertation was on explaining criminal behavior out of biological factors.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#116547 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
it doesn't have ends for after all it might still be expanding, so yes it does have edges.
Nope. You seem to not understand what it means when we say that the universe is expanding. That does not imply there is an edge to the expansion. ALL of space is expanding, including the space right here.
wondering

Morris, OK

#116548 Jul 2, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
You just fell off the deep end.
Sgr A* is a star (actually a black hole) inside *our* galaxy. Most galaxies have black holes in them. Those black holes aren't going to be sucking in the galaxies any time soon--most of the stars in the galaxies are actually orbiting the back hole.
a black hole was a star with a mass 5 times larger than our sun

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#116549 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
tell me how if the universe edges over 13 billion light years away started falling back in towards the center how that would effect us here the minute that happened, the year that happened, the century that happened, the millennium that happened!
There is no center to the expansion.
wondering

Morris, OK

#116550 Jul 2, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
i have no doubt. you are a smart person.
wondering

Morris, OK

#116551 Jul 2, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You call a link to a book that contains no words or information a "real" science link?
I also said the only edge we can see is the light horizon, wihich is the edge of the observable universe . The key word here is
"observable" , but we were talking an edge to the actual universe.
We tend to see that the edge of the observable universe would always be at that distance no matter where you are. So of you moved that to the distance toward it it will still appear the same distance away at any position. Think of it like a mirage , we can see the water in the distance , but no matter how far we move toward it, it still stays away in the distance.
join the site moron. you can have access to endless science articles. even you might actually learn a little

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#116552 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
think of it like this; when the singularity started to expand it sent out waves in all directions, like dropping a rock in water it sends out waves in all directions. the edges of those waves that were first produced are like the edges of the universe. you should have leaned that in middle school.
And you should re-learn it because you got it wrong. The 'singularity' isn't an object that 'sends out waves'. There is no center to the expansion of the universe. It is not a case of things flinging out from a center and expanding away (say, like gas expanding from an explosion). Instead, it is space itself expanding and carrying the galaxies along with it.

All that the term 'singularity' means is that our equations have terms that go infinite when we approach it. That's it. In the case of the expanding universe, the 'singularity' happens *everywhere in space*. It isn't some specific location.

You might want to refrain from correcting people when your 'corrections' are wrong.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#116554 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
even this link shows your a moron. but lets be humorous. when a star burns up/goes super nova what happens to it? it becomes a white dwarf unless it is 5 times the mass of our sun then it becomes what? a black hole is correct. in either case it is not a star any more is it. moron you can't even understand the links you post.
There is an intermediate mass range where it becomes a neutron star. And yes, a black hole is considered to be a star in this context.

It is a good idea not to call someone a moron when they are right and you are wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Post any FOUR words (Feb '16) 4 min Go Blue Forever 1,208
tell me one word to describe yourself (Jun '09) 6 min Que Sera Sera 16,045
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 10 min SweLL GirL 13,733
Alphabetical ways to die (Jul '11) 10 min statistics 10,900
Weiner Gets Caught Again 10 min Rider on the Storm 1
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 12 min wichita-rick 197,746
Word Association. (Nov '10) 22 min KNIGHT DeVINE 19,732
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 28 min Harlan Globetrotter 33,296
News new Women bare breasts for gender equality on G... 40 min P Ness 28
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr revilot2 59,962
Make up your wildest Headline. (Aug '08) 2 hr Go Blue Forever 682
More from around the web