Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223194 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#116523 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
wow! a link to what i said and corrected you on. do that make you feel smart for giving me a link that i already knew about and had to correct you on?
Sagi A Star is a group of stars and it is called that. You have a poor concept and attitude and there is no edge to the universe.

Tour of Sagittarius A*

http://chandra.si.edu/resources/animations/bl...
wondering

Morris, OK

#116524 Jul 2, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Whatever!
Why should we bother our self with the temporary things of this world. We christians don't care about that.
whatever? so your god is not almighty and would not answer your prayer. if you were scheduled(he knows when right) to die tomorrow at a young age(40-70) and wanted to live longer with your children. he would deny your prayer and your children's prayers and take you away from your children, what kind of god is that.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

arte et marte

#116525 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
think of it like this; when the singularity started to expand it sent out waves in all directions, like dropping a rock in water it sends out waves in all directions. the edges of those waves that were first produced are like the edges of the universe. you should have leaned that in middle school.
Now you are assuming expansion started in a singular place, the only edge we can see is the light horizon, But the universe is much larger and there is no edge.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

arte et marte

#116526 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
think of it like this; when the singularity started to expand it sent out waves in all directions, like dropping a rock in water it sends out waves in all directions. the edges of those waves that were first produced are like the edges of the universe. you should have leaned that in middle school.
http://astronomy.nmsu.edu/geas/lectures/lectu...
wondering

Morris, OK

#116527 Jul 2, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Sagi A Star is a group of stars and it is called that. You have a poor concept and attitude and there is no edge to the universe.
Tour of Sagittarius A*
http://chandra.si.edu/resources/animations/bl...
even this link shows your a moron. but lets be humorous. when a star burns up/goes super nova what happens to it? it becomes a white dwarf unless it is 5 times the mass of our sun then it becomes what? a black hole is correct. in either case it is not a star any more is it. moron you can't even understand the links you post.
wondering

Morris, OK

#116528 Jul 2, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Now you are assuming expansion started in a singular place, the only edge we can see is the light horizon, But the universe is much larger and there is no edge.
if there is not an end there has to be an edge. again you out witted me. the singularity expansion might have started with its back against the wall only expanding forward.
wondering

Morris, OK

#116529 Jul 2, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
mickey mouse links is all you use. try some science links.

Edge of the Universe
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/edge-univ...

or you can use your wiki

Assuming the universe is isotropic, the distance to the edge of the observable universe is roughly the same in every direction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_unive...

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#116530 Jul 2, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
By the way, the universe doesn't have any edges ...moron.
And is infinite.

Level 6

#116531 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
it doesn't have ends for after all it might still be expanding, so yes it does have edges.
Wrong.

Level 6

#116532 Jul 2, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> No opposition. But it is good to be married legally, it is welcomed culturally and constitutionally.
And again, can the ovary produce children without the man's semen?
And religiously, donít forget religiously

I am still waiting for this research on immortality that you insist I read.

And can the man produce children without the ovaries producing the egg and the womb?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#116533 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no evidence that the universe is still expanding or currently speeding up in expansion. All there is evidence for is that is was expanding. We don't know if it still is or not. When we see something that is 5000, 10,000, 100,000, 1,000,000 or 10,000,000 light years away we are not seeing it as it is. We are seeing it as it was. We are looking back in time and don't even know if it is the same, different or even still there. When using cosmological red shift we are using things in those measurements that may not even be there any longer or may have completely changed. Anything that is 1000 light years and up away, we can only guess about it even still being there.
Since stars are around for hundreds of millions to billions of years, I don't think that is a problem here. Yes, individual stars are probably gone, but the galaxies we see are still there. They don't disappear in a billion years.

Also, since we are looking at pictures more and more into the past as we look farther away, we can see directly how things change over time by comparing the nearby galaxies with those further away. That is what allows us to determine things like rates of expansion and acceleration. The differences are important here.
It is similar to holding a 400 year old picture in your hand of New York City and thinking it will look like that when you get there, you are looking back in time with that picture but when you get there (caught up in time), you see how much has changed.
In order for the expansion to stop, there has to be a very large force of some sort counter acting the expansion. What do you propose that force to be?

What we see when we look out is what is predicted by our models based on general relativity-increasing red shifts with distance, a background radiation, the variances in that radiation related to expansion rate, composition, etc.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#116534 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
I know this is going to be like finding $500 on the ground in a crowd of peasants and asking who it belongs to(everyone's hand will go up) but is there actually anyone here that holds a PHD in any scientific field? Most here seem like parrots looking for a cracker.
I have a PhD in mathematics and have passed the PhD qualifying exams in physics. I haven't done a dissertation in physics.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#116535 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
us being here has nothing to do with it. you do realize that we don't see out to far away objects in space that is why it is like looking back in time. a star that we can see light from at 5 million light years away could have went supernova 4 million light years ago but yet we will still see the light of that star. the picture was to show what we see in that picture is not the same as now(back in time to present. it was not meant to confuse you). anything we see in space that is 1000 or more light years away may or may not be there. the edge of the universe is billions of light years away and could be pulsating, could be at a stand still, could be expanding.or could be collapsing back in for all we know.
Why do you think there is an edge?

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

arte et marte

#116536 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
mickey mouse links is all you use. try some science links.
Edge of the Universe
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/edge-univ...
or you can use your wiki
Assuming the universe is isotropic, the distance to the edge of the observable universe is roughly the same in every direction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_unive...

You call a link to a book that contains no words or information a "real" science link?

I also said the only edge we can see is the light horizon, wihich is the edge of the observable universe . The key word here is
"observable" , but we were talking an edge to the actual universe.
We tend to see that the edge of the observable universe would always be at that distance no matter where you are. So of you moved that to the distance toward it it will still appear the same distance away at any position. Think of it like a mirage , we can see the water in the distance , but no matter how far we move toward it, it still stays away in the distance.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#116537 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
the galaxies you see that are millions of light years away and are not being seen in present time. how can you not understand that? you think if a galaxy shifts tomorrow, gets sucked into a black hole tomorrow or the whole galaxy goes supernova chain reaction tomorrow that we will know it tomorrow night?
A galaxy won't get sucked into a black hole in a mere 10 million years. And it also won't go supernova in a chain reaction. You are imagining scenarios that are simply not possible. Yes, individual stars will be different. But the galaxies are collections of hundreds of billions of stars. They don't change rapidly.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#116538 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
yes as i said but now use that same thinking and you think you can tell by using things as far or farther away in those red/blue shift measurements and tell what is going on millions of light years away?
More specifically, we can tell what *was* going on millions of light years away *in the past*.
for all we know there is a super black hole that is sucking up the universe pulling objects/matter to it, spreading out the objects in space. for the closer they are to that black hole the faster they will be pulled in and there is your expansion universe effect of things spreading out you see.
Nope. Not even close to a possible explanation of the observations.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#116539 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
you are the one that makes no sense. you agree about a star 5 million light years away going supernova and not being seen by us here in the now yet but don't understand the same principle applies to the red/blue shifts.
The comparison is between the galaxy 5 million years ago and us now. So?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#116540 Jul 2, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
you mean sagittarius a, sgr a. You need to drop a few a's there. also not is not a star. that is in a galaxy where as I said universe.
You just fell off the deep end.

Sgr A* is a star (actually a black hole) inside *our* galaxy. Most galaxies have black holes in them. Those black holes aren't going to be sucking in the galaxies any time soon--most of the stars in the galaxies are actually orbiting the back hole.

Level 6

#116541 Jul 2, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Total crap!
You have none to date. GUESSING OR PROJECTIONS ARE NOT ANSWERS, BUT SPECULATIONS.
And still you have not provided any clue where I can find this research into immortality that you are begging me to review

LOL, irony meter it go bang

Unlike your god dream there is no guessing involved, do you know when you are going to die? Does anyone else? I rest my case.

The life span is not guessing or even logic based on evidence, it is scientific FACT, there is a considerable amount of data, examples...
https://www.fightaging.org/archives/2003/01/t...
http://www.sarahwoodbury.com/life-expectancy-...
http://evmedreview.com/wp-content/uploads/201...
http://mappinghistory.uoregon.edu/english/US/...
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#116542 Jul 2, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I think new instructions may be passed on to progeny, but the original life forms were the same kind they always were.
I don't think so.
And this is why:
1) Randomly everywhere you dig, you observe earth layers. There is virtually no exception to this rule.
2) By very logic, a layer below another layer is older than the on on top.
3) Hence, the deeper you dig, the older the layer.
4) In these subsequent layers we find remnants of life (most fossils).

Go to http://www.oldearth.org/grandcanyon.htm . Mind the source BTW, a creationist website. There the stratification of the Grand Canyon is painstakingly described. It comes in 5 pages.

5) What we observe is that with every deeper layer, life changes. New species appears and others disappear.
6) Moreover, if you go deeper, life gradually becomes more primitive.
7) Eventually, in the deepest layers, we only observe unicellular life (bacteria). Not any other single life form is found in those layers. Only bacteria. If we ascend in the geological column, ever more new life forms appear (and disappear) and life gradually becomes ever more complex. Humans are newcomers. Their remains are only found in a few layers on top of a pile of thousands of layers.

Mind that I didn't imply anything about the age of the earth. I only observed that deeper layers are by very logic older than the ones on top.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Let's Play Song Titles With Only Three Words,... (Dec '13) 3 min xxxooxxx 784
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 3 min Brandiiiiiiii 5,992
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 4 min Tom2Tone 226,102
Coffee with Pie! (Sep '08) 6 min Chilli J 35,396
lets play follow the word! (Jul '08) 7 min Brandiiiiiiii 39,924
What's your tip for the day? (Jul '14) 7 min Brandiiiiiiii 2,796
Two words only please! (Aug '08) 9 min Brandiiiiiiii 41,906
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 10 min Brandiiiiiiii 6,763
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 20 min I Am Enzo - The B... 32,505
More from around the web