Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221445 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Level 9

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#116367 Jun 30, 2014
You don't see scientists admitting that they're wrong (or maybe wrong) very often:

http://news.yahoo.com/big-bang-breakthrough-t...

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Level 9

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#116368 Jun 30, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
It was A JOKE.
You, like me, also seem to have no sense of humor.
Apparently so since my reply was meant for a chuckle. LoL.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#116369 Jun 30, 2014
dragoon70056 wrote:
You don't see scientists admitting that they're wrong (or maybe wrong) very often:
http://news.yahoo.com/big-bang-breakthrough-t...
Don't rock the boat and stop the gravy train in grants. To bad there is politically correct science :( To bad the computer models on global warming don't match the results :)

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#116370 Jun 30, 2014
dragoon70056 wrote:
You don't see scientists admitting that they're wrong (or maybe wrong) very often:
http://news.yahoo.com/big-bang-breakthrough-t...
Maybe wrong. Seems still in dispute.

"I think in retrospect, they should have been more careful about making a big announcement,"
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#116371 Jun 30, 2014
dragoon70056 wrote:
You don't see scientists admitting that they're wrong (or maybe wrong) very often:
http://news.yahoo.com/big-bang-breakthrough-t...
"For weeks, some scientists have expressed doubts about the findings of the BICEP2 team."
Weeks?

Religion isn't even capable of getting rid of ITS caboodle for 4,100 years or so.
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#116372 Jun 30, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text> Don't rock the boat and stop the gravy train in grants. To bad there is politically correct science :( To bad the computer models on global warming don't match the results :)
EVEN WORSE is you LYING telling us how politically correct science can be.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#116373 Jun 30, 2014
dragoon70056 wrote:
You don't see scientists admitting that they're wrong (or maybe wrong) very often:
http://news.yahoo.com/big-bang-breakthrough-t...
Science by it's very nature is admitting it maybe wrong , or incomplete, this is why it is subjected to peer review and the method used to obtain the results are open to others.
It was this very thing that discovered why faster than the speed of light results were found to be faulty equipment. As with this project the European Space Agency is performing the same tests to confirm or dispute the results found here.

But this admission of fallibility is the strength to finding the truth, and why many times something else is discovered than originally intended. So don't say scientists don't say they maybe wrong, because they already think that from the start. Historically a few scientists couldn't accept they were wrong, and kept trying to prove they were right. But this is not the consensus that is sought to begin with and sometimes the persistence pays off and it's found they were right after all.

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#116374 Jun 30, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did this make sense to you when you wrote it?
Absoluter sense and it still does re-reading it so your problem with the English language is what?

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#116375 Jun 30, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
Could be you're just a beoch to.:)
Could very well be.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#116376 Jun 30, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Why is it such a hard thing to see that life was made in kinds from the beginning? The Bible claims that there is nothing new under the sun and living things all multiply after their own kind. No real transition is or has occurred from one kind to another or we would see it everywhere. I know there has been oddities and deformed creatures that may look like something other than their own kind, but they do not reproduce to become a totally new kind.
There seems to be nothing difficult in adopting the puerile notion that "The Bible says it, I believe it and that settles it." (..or my preacher says it, or AiG says it or the Discovery Institute says it....) Certainly, it must be leaps and bounds easier than engaging in any critical thinking for yourself. I'll bet that must be a real load off of your shoulders... Thank God. 0.o

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#116377 Jun 30, 2014
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
But that's not the analogy Cristina, no one is insinuating that the spoon was designed to be lethal, rather it cannot be held responsible for making you fat. That's the comparison.(Ergo,'Guns don't kill... Spoons don't fatten...')The whole 'killed by spoon' was just an adage on my part, because, well,'killed by spoon'. lol.
Ahh but our dear replaytime (to whom my first post on the subject was in reply to) was comparing the spoon and the gun. True they are both tools but as I have said, unlike the spoon, the gun was developed, designed and manufactured for one purpose... to kill.
Of course spoons were also designed for one specific purpose too but can be used to kill and have been.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#116378 Jun 30, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Does that stops the menace of death?
Reduction, accelaration, etc, death is still death.
Are you going with the "stand" that death proves God? Then by your own petard war, starvation, accidents and disease are holy while peace, food, safety and health are tools of Satan.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#116379 Jun 30, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh but our dear replaytime (to whom my first post on the subject was in reply to) was comparing the spoon and the gun. True they are both tools but as I have said, unlike the spoon, the gun was developed, designed and manufactured for one purpose... to kill.
Of course spoons were also designed for one specific purpose too but can be used to kill and have been.
I can see it happening now, Hillary gets elected and as president...
Starts the war on obesity and trending after NY'ers policy of banning large cups.
We will all have to eat with teaspoons and never tablespoons, because the tablespoons make you fat and dat kills you...lol

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#116380 Jun 30, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> You did' nt get me. By using my stand, i meant that , my stand has been on God the creator. Ok?
I wasn't trying to "get" you. I already do that. You routinely catch yourself with your own illogical statements.

Don't stand on your myth's shoulders or his coat-tails. It does nothing to change the evidence and it probably ticks him off..

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#116381 Jun 30, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> I am not here to convert any one, I am only to correct some mis information. God is real, because the universe never came by accident, and again, woman only have an X chromosomes unlike their male counterparts.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Dreaming Again, wake up.
Nope, just pure unadulterated fact, you choose to ignore it then donít blame me for your deliberate ignorance
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Do some research work about mortals and immortal, ok?
Ahh right so where will I find this research on immortals? No, I really am extremely interested, I long to educate myself with this never before seen research.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> I am not here to convert any one, I am only to correct some mis information. God is real, because the universe never came by accident, and again, woman only have an X chromosomes unlike their male counterparts.
Say what?
Good job too, with you arguments from incredulity you could not convert ice into water and you would have trouble changing your socks and have no idea how to correct anything, let alone change facts to suite your wet dreams and guesses

And men only have half the x chromosomes as women, your point what? Oh yes, that means the women have the vagina and uterus and womb and ovaries and therefore can gestate children while the men are dicks Ė right?

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Level 9

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#116382 Jun 30, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Science by it's very nature is admitting it maybe wrong , or incomplete, this is why it is subjected to peer review and the method used to obtain the results are open to others.
It was this very thing that discovered why faster than the speed of light results were found to be faulty equipment. As with this project the European Space Agency is performing the same tests to confirm or dispute the results found here.
But this admission of fallibility is the strength to finding the truth, and why many times something else is discovered than originally intended. So don't say scientists don't say they maybe wrong, because they already think that from the start. Historically a few scientists couldn't accept they were wrong, and kept trying to prove they were right. But this is not the consensus that is sought to begin with and sometimes the persistence pays off and it's found they were right after all.
Good post. Someone needs to forward it to some of the Global Warming scientists as many have wrong on many of their predictions related to climate change. Instead of admitting their mistakes, it seems they tend to change their minds as to what constitutes proof of their claims.

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#116383 Jun 30, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see it happening now, Hillary gets elected and as president...
Starts the war on obesity and trending after NY'ers policy of banning large cups.
We will all have to eat with teaspoons and never tablespoons, because the tablespoons make you fat and dat kills you...lol
Downsizing cups Ė yeah, great election idea, more baristas would learn how to make descent macchiato. Do you think she would also insist on smaller guns too? Easier to fit in the pocket and not spoil the line of the Armani suits you would all be forced to wear (of you could afford them otherwise you would all be signed up to obamaclothes)?

Talking of downsizing, my aunt had an Alsatian (German Sheppard) and then got a cute little yappy Pomeranian puppy. This tiny bundle of orange fur killed the full grown Alsatian - It got stuck in itís throat.

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Level 9

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#116384 Jun 30, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
"For weeks, some scientists have expressed doubts about the findings of the BICEP2 team."
Weeks?
Religion isn't even capable of getting rid of ITS caboodle for 4,100 years or so.
LoL. True dat. However, the example I provided of scientific mistake (or possible mistake) is but one recently reported in the news. There are many, many more - though I don't think I could cite 4,100 years worth :)

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Level 9

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#116385 Jun 30, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text> Don't rock the boat and stop the gravy train in grants. To bad there is politically correct science :( To bad the computer models on global warming don't match the results :)
LoL. Is there anything left today that isn't politically correct ;0)

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#116386 Jun 30, 2014
I'm a pretty amazing Autonomous Person, a type of robot, and I am pretty sure I was designed and created, yet I am a poor copy of a human being. The human mind, body (and spirit?) are so much more complicated and intiricate, my positronic brain has trouble comprehending it all. How is it such a thing could come about by random chance or undirected processes? Maybe a toaster could evolve out of pieces of metal ore and such, hit by lightining and you might find it surviving in the wild?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Post "any three words" (Sep '12) 9 min Princess Hey 4,135
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 13 min _Drifter 217,112
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 24 min Raven Queenheart 11,847
The one item I don't want to be without....... 26 min TOUJOURS PRET 243
Poll How often do you 'check in' on Topix forums? (Oct '07) 26 min Quilterqueen 1,603
Caght on video - 2 26 min a_visitor 100
only TWO words! (Nov '08) 28 min Raven Queenheart 27,786
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 39 min Boink face 4,068
What turns you on ? (Aug '11) 41 min Boink face 2,553
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 2 hr Boink face 17,212
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 4 hr Deer Whisperer 75,253
More from around the web