Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#116024 Jun 26, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I only know what I gather from the scripture. We read that God is the father of all things and he is a Spirit with cloudlike hands and he created the angels who have the appearance of men. We read that God said "Let us make man in our image and likeness and let them have dominion over all the earth" and Adam was created from the dust of the earth. We read that Eve (the mother of all descendants) was made from Adams rib when he was put into a deep sleep. The power of our Creator was at work here and I can not speculate as to how this event happened in detail.
And how would you teach that in a science class? What physical mechanisms were used?

See, the problem we are having (well, one of the problems) is we are being accused of using science to attack God and the Bible. But that is merely a self-fulfilling prophecy because you are using Scripture to attack science. And when people defend the science, a criticism of the scientific veracity of the Scripture becomes inevitable.

Additionally, you are using a non-scientific argument against science, which is a non starter. If you had any kind of scientific evidence that supported the Biblical view, that would be something. But your entire argument seems to be the Bible says Evolution is wrong therefore it is wrong, evidence be damned.

The fact that it is completely possible to accept the Bible and Evolution is a different problem entirely.

St. James, NY

#116025 Jun 26, 2014
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah - a great 'Did you know...' opportunity.
Did you know...
The head of all Native Indian tribes is actually the Chief's wife? She makes all the decisions (in private) and the Chief, who is basically the spokesperson, delivers this to the tribe.
I seem to recall reading that some very early cultures were Matriarchal. I guess the whole giving life thing was kinda a big deal.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Location hidden

#116026 Jun 26, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
Given the evidence we have those are reasonable conclusions. Living things contain chemical reactions and are comprised of organic compounds so why is it such a shocking idea to think that is how it started?
Because:

A:) Those conclusion are based on and rely on evidence.

B) Those conclusion aren't sufficiently vague

3) THAT'S NOT WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS!!!!!!
FREE SERVANT

Duluth, GA

#116027 Jun 26, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
And how would you teach that in a science class? What physical mechanisms were used?
See, the problem we are having (well, one of the problems) is we are being accused of using science to attack God and the Bible. But that is merely a self-fulfilling prophecy because you are using Scripture to attack science. And when people defend the science, a criticism of the scientific veracity of the Scripture becomes inevitable.
Additionally, you are using a non-scientific argument against science, which is a non starter. If you had any kind of scientific evidence that supported the Biblical view, that would be something. But your entire argument seems to be the Bible says Evolution is wrong therefore it is wrong, evidence be damned.
The fact that it is completely possible to accept the Bible and Evolution is a different problem entirely.
Science is a study of the natural material things on Earth and throughout the universe. It is only possible to accept the Bible if you do not deny the power of the God of the Bible. All power in heaven and in earth is in God's hands, and all things are possible with him. The real evidence will verify his existence. I would not teach any speculation in science class as being fact like I think some people are doing with Darwinism.

“Nothing can stop, This Pony..”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#116028 Jun 26, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
Very cool article, first time hearing about this. I am surprised that the two closer to each other haven't merged into one supermassive black hole, unless they are in the process and we are observing it, which would be amazing.
They are mysterious for sure, some of them seem to gobble up everything. While others like SagiA star is called a particularly poor eater.

“Nothing can stop, This Pony..”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#116029 Jun 26, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> And that again, is just your opinion. It does not change how the universe came.
Asherah?
The bible mentioned that goddess, and warned the Israelite not to worship her, how can she be the wife of God?
When the ancient Israelite decided to make the one god , the people were slow to adapt to it, but there were actually 3 before the concept of the one. El ,Yahweh and Asherah kept together in one place. Ask yourself if is coincidence when you have the holy trinity?
Oh but the three are one you say.

“Me Me Me!”

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#116030 Jun 26, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Honey you want to bitch about me then grow a set and bitch about me to my face
I have no problem with that! Where do you live, mouth?

“Me Me Me!”

Location hidden

#116031 Jun 26, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! She and I are not on the best of terms and would not appreciate me putting words in her mouth. She wrote for herself and you read for yourself. I just pointed out that ignorance is a state, but willful ignorance is an action.
Then why do you? Every time I've said something to her you jump up like a good ignorant puppet.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#116032 Jun 26, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Science is a study of the natural material things on Earth and throughout the universe.

OK.
FREE SERVANT wrote:
It is only possible to accept the Bible if you do not deny the power of the God of the Bible.
Agreed. Which is why I don't accept the god as portrayed in the Bible.
FREE SERVANT wrote:
All power in heaven and in earth is in God's hands, and all things are possible with him.
Possibly
FREE SERVANT wrote:
The real evidence will verify his existence.
Well, with an alleged 6,000 year head start, you haven't come up with anything.
FREE SERVANT wrote:
I would not teach any speculation in science class as being fact like I think some people are doing with Darwinism.
Which is why we're glad you're not a science teacher.

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Level 9

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#116033 Jun 26, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem with that! Where do you live, mouth?
Daaaayyyyyyuuuuuummm! LoL.

“Me Me Me!”

Location hidden

#116034 Jun 26, 2014
dragoon70056 wrote:
<quoted text>
Daaaayyyyyyuuuuuummm! LoL.
Lol. Hello!

“Me Me Me!”

Location hidden

#116035 Jun 26, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Ofcourse. Facts can never die. And you don't have any of them relating to the universe.
Lol. She knows everything just ask her.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#116036 Jun 26, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why do you? Every time I've said something to her you jump up like a good ignorant puppet.
Once is not "every time", what you typed in reply was inaccurate and a thread is not a private conversation.
State something correctly and I won't see any reason to correct you.

St. James, NY

#116037 Jun 26, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Science is a study of the natural material things on Earth and throughout the universe. It is only possible to accept the Bible if you do not deny the power of the God of the Bible. All power in heaven and in earth is in God's hands, and all things are possible with him. The real evidence will verify his existence. I would not teach any speculation in science class as being fact like I think some people are doing with Darwinism.
If you accept that science is the study of the material nature of the universe, why reject science at all? I don't know what you mean by Darwinism, but Evolution is a scientifically supported Theory that is backed by evidence, so is in no way speculation. If you accept that our bodies have physical, materialistic components that science can study without rejecting your spiritual beliefs then there should be no problem accepting Evolution which is just the materialistic mechanism for the diversity of life on Earth.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#116038 Jun 26, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Do you believe that all life began very simple and then became more complex over time? Do you believe life was just simple chemical reactions in the beginning?
Not quite. The stages where the chemical reactions were still fairly simple would not be considered life. it is only when the reactions get to a certain level of complexity and are self-sustaining that we have life.

Life *is* a certain class of complex chemical reactions that are inter-related and self-sustaining given the right environment and for at least a period of time.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#116039 Jun 26, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Science is a study of the natural material things on Earth and throughout the universe. It is only possible to accept the Bible if you do not deny the power of the God of the Bible. All power in heaven and in earth is in God's hands, and all things are possible with him. The real evidence will verify his existence. I would not teach any speculation in science class as being fact like I think some people are doing with Darwinism.
Would you allow teaching that light is a form of electromagnetic radiation? How about that fusion happens in the cores of stars? How about that the half-life of U238 is about 5 billion years? How about that there are atoms? Or subatomic particles?

The inferences that species change over geological time is as established as the fact that fusion happens inside stars. That isn't speculation. It is deduction from the known laws of physics and from observation.

The problem is that the *facts* show your bronze-age myths are wrong.

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Level 9

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#116040 Jun 26, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. Hello!
Howdy. Think I'll have to stop by this thread more often to get my daily dose of Smackdown.

“Me Me Me!”

Location hidden

#116041 Jun 26, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Once is not "every time", what you typed in reply was inaccurate and a thread is not a private conversation.
State something correctly and I won't see any reason to correct you.
Why don't you just ignore me. Usually that's what I do to you.

“Me Me Me!”

Location hidden

#116042 Jun 26, 2014
You guys keep whining and crying and taking God the flag, morals and anything good that you don't what to abide by and doesn't fit your life style choice out of the schools and the kids will just keep piling up on the floor. K? Then you can blame it on guns.

“Me Me Me!”

Location hidden

#116043 Jun 26, 2014
dragoon70056 wrote:
<quoted text>
Howdy. Think I'll have to stop by this thread more often to get my daily dose of Smackdown.
Lol. I'd get carpal tunnel if I stayed here to long.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A real gentleman doesn't (Oct '13) 2 min DILF 909
Labs extend record as top dog in US, but bulldo... 3 min DILF 5
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 4 min Denny CranesPlace 39,366
last word/first word. (Apr '12) 5 min DILF 5,559
last word - first (Jun '12) 6 min DILF 7,476
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 8 min DILF 2,530
Add a Word, Ruin a Movie (Oct '13) 9 min DILF 4,901
Obama takes control of Internet 26 min flbadcatowner 178
Name a smell you love to smell! (Jan '14) 1 hr Sublime1 805
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 2 hr TALLYHO 8541 17,918