Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223358 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Level 9

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#116160 Jun 27, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Thing is about science is that it works no matter who you vote for or what religious beliefs you have.
Sounds like you don't know what the definition of science is. However, the sentence of yours above makes it sound as though you tend to treat science as a religion.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#116161 Jun 27, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Well my opinion is is someone is so much of an idiot that they shoot their self with their own gun,,, then they really should not have a gun. You have to know and respect a gun knowing its potential.
So you're saying a lot of people would be careful, but a lot of people are idiots. But bare in mind that everyone has the right to bear arms.

So how do we separate?

Answer - we don't.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#116162 Jun 27, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
Schools are to busy teaching the kids to disrespect their parents and their beliefs.
Or is it that schools that teach critical thinking are not appreciated by the willfully ignorant?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#116163 Jun 27, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying a lot of people would be careful, but a lot of people are idiots. But bare in mind that everyone has the right to bear arms.
So how do we separate?
Answer - we don't.
Bare bear bear bare bear?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#116164 Jun 27, 2014
dragoon70056 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you don't know what the definition of science is. However, the sentence of yours above makes it sound as though you tend to treat science as a religion.
Your baseless accusation is noted.

However science is not treated as a religion because it undergoes scientific testing. Whereas dogma just asserts without bothering to test whether the assertions match up to reality.

This is what separates science from religious dogma.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#116165 Jun 27, 2014
The Real Jesus wrote:
Everything you believe is true, will be.
Well, almost.
I'M A BILLIONAIRE!!!!

Can't hurt to try,eh?

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#116166 Jun 27, 2014
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
In many cases guns are the REASON a homeowner was killed. If a homeowner is wielding a weapon but hesitates to use it (as most average homeowners would) the thief, who is less likely to hesitate, will fire upon the homeowner in fear of being shot himself. If the homeowner had not been armed, he may have survived. So the argument isn't necessarily if guns will make you safer. They CAN make you safer, but in certain circumstances could put you at a greater risk as well. It all boils down to your knowledge of gun usage and safety, and how you're prepared to act.
A shotgun saved my mother from a home intrusion. About a week after my father passed away, my mother was living alone in a very remote house in Connecticut, when one evening an intruder showed up. She heard someone fiddling with the lock on the doorknob. She calmly grabbed a 12-gauge, opened the door and greeted her would-be intruder with a barrel to his forehead. She calmly called the cops and held the man at gunpoint on the floor until they arrived. The Police later told us she did the right thing, the man was known and considered very dangerous. He used the obituaries to find his targets.
Anyway, did that gun make my mother safe? In her case - solid yes, and she would not have hesitated for a second to use it if necessary.
Interesting contradiction you made, but I agree and that's where training comes in.
Which will tell you to never present a firearm without the intention to use it.
Never point a firearm at anything you are not prepared to shoot.
There are more personal rules but those are relevant. Firearms aren't for everyone and some people just don't have any business with them as you can't treat it like a automatic deterrent to crime. So you better mean business when you point the business end at another human being.

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#116167 Jun 27, 2014
dragoon70056 wrote:
<quoted text>
How does the definition or workings of science vary based on what political party is in power?

Level 9

Arcadia, LA.

#116168 Jun 27, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
How does the definition or workings of science vary based on what political party is in power?
It doesn't.

However, his statement that science "always" works is a fallacy.
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#116169 Jun 27, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> And?
Beyond the Planck epoch we just don't know.
YOU NEITHER.
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#116170 Jun 27, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Yes, are that are possible factors that can lead to death.
But death can still occur without the above causes listed by you. Do you agree?
I you van add some more, don't hesitate, there is a list of "100 ways to die".
But it has nothing to do with "limited".
Always those vague language, common among creationists.

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#116171 Jun 27, 2014
dragoon70056 wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't.
Even a failed experiment, faulty prediction or unexpected results yields new information. How many discoveries or technological innovations came about by complete accident or scientists looking for something different from what they discovered? Science can be ugly, messy, complicated and unpredictable but if the focus is primarily on discovery then it does always work.

“Me Me Me!”

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#116172 Jun 27, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
No thanks needed. I just found it funny for they retracted their claws for you. I found it funny because forr all they know you are a 500 pound dude(no offense). But don't get to relaxed for I will lay the claws out to both sides, depending on what I am thinking at the time.
No I'm not a dude and no where near 500#. Lol.
So far I think you and I are on the same page but I may have to try out your claws. ; )

“Me Me Me!”

Location hidden

#116173 Jun 27, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh good then if you have no problem you will retain from bitching to other people Ė right
Wrong, I live in the NW UK but itís so funny that whenever you open yours some idiot puts there foot in it.
Did this make sense to you when you wrote it?

“Me Me Me!”

Location hidden

#116174 Jun 27, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What is so funny is that despite the fact that she is fairly conciliatory and does not verbally abuse males, canít say the same on her attitude to women,(could be a jealousy thing, I donít really know). Her avatar does seem to have a profound effect on some males, rather like some guy calling a chat line and asking what the girl with the sexy voice is wearing when the girl is an overweight pensioner in thick thermals and woolly jumpers
Could be you're just a beoch to.:)

“Me Me Me!”

Location hidden

#116175 Jun 27, 2014
dragoon70056 wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure it's the avatar that is causing that effect? Personally, I find her responses (assuming the she IS indeed a she), quite humorous; not exactly abusive, but containing biting wit.
Thank you!
The Dude

Woodford Green, UK

#116176 Jun 27, 2014
dragoon70056 wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't.
Go back and look at my post again. I didn't say what you said I said.

“Me Me Me!”

Location hidden

#116177 Jun 27, 2014
dragoon70056 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. I like you.

Level 9

Arcadia, LA.

#116178 Jun 27, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Go back and look at my post again. I didn't say what you said I said.
Actually, I did misunderstand the context. My apologies.

Level 9

Arcadia, LA.

#116179 Jun 27, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. I like you.
Don't go liking me too much. I happen to be an atheist like these other heathens. I just don't put as much blind faith in science as many of them do :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
animal song titles 4 min Camilla 109
News Face it, team figure skating at the Winter Olym... 5 min NeedsPharts 14
call it green... (Aug '14) 7 min andet1987 162
2words into 2new words (May '12) 19 min Judy 123 9,192
7 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 20 min andet1987 1,772
any word you want to say (Dec '09) 24 min Judy 123 8,654
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 25 min andet1987 9,196
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 40 min Judy 123 228,524
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 4 hr Politico Incorrecto 7,208
More from around the web