Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 172003 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

FREE SERVANT

Duluth, GA

#115998 Jun 26, 2014
I get my information from scripture and Genesis 2 verses 18 thru 23 tells us = And the LORD God said, it is not good that the man should be alone, I will make him an help meet for him; And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof. And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him. And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called woman, because she was taken out of man.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#115999 Jun 26, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
One nit-pick (I agree with the rest of your post). Yes, men do have mitochondrial DNA. Everyone has mDNA in every one of their cells since mitochondria provide the energy for the body.
The reason mDNA is used for genetic studies is that it is actually passed from the mother to all offspring through the egg cell (unlike the mDNA from sperm). That means we can trace the female lines by analyzing mDNA.
Thank you, I am enlightened

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#116000 Jun 26, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
I get my information from scripture and Genesis 2 verses 18 thru 23 tells us = And the LORD God said, it is not good that the man should be alone, I will make him an help meet for him; And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof. And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him. And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called woman, because she was taken out of man.
We know what it says. We ain't buying it.

By the way, the hebrew words for "man" and "woman" are not even remotely similar. That part was simply contrived (along with the rest of the story). Man is "adam", woman is "ishshah".

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#116001 Jun 26, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
The early Hebrews were not monotheistic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asherah#In_Israe...
And from http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zw3fl
"Between the 10th century and the beginning of their exile in 586 there was polytheism as normal religion all throughout Israel; only afterwards things begin to change and very slowly they begin to change. I would say it [the sentence "Jews were monotheists" - n.n.] is only correct for the last centuries, maybe only from the period of the Maccabees, that means the second century BC, so in the time of Jesus of Nazareth it is true, but for the time before it, it is not true."
Are you trying to deface the Truth with facts again, Mike?

Level 6

#116002 Jun 26, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
Yup and this comes from Genesis 1:27: So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

So in your view which of the contradiction is correct?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#116003 Jun 26, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you trying to deface the Truth with facts again, Mike?
Yeah, I guess so. Sorry about that. A very nasty habit of mine.
FREE SERVANT

Duluth, GA

#116004 Jun 26, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup and this comes from Genesis 1:27: So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
So in your view which of the contradiction is correct?
I see no contradiction here. Man was created in the image of God and woman was taken from the man.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#116006 Jun 26, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I see no contradiction here. Man was created in the image of God and woman was taken from the man.
Except for the contradiction that it never happened.

Level 6

#116007 Jun 26, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I see no contradiction here. Man was created in the image of God and woman was taken from the man.
No of course you don’t, I deliberately used the KJV translation for such a response

However other translations use the word ‘mankind’ or the phrase ‘human beings’ or ‘humans’ which are closer to the meaning of original Hebrew

So let’s now try the NIV, same verse - So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

Now do you see a contradiction between that passage and 2 – 18:23?

Also funny that men do not have a missing rib don’t you think?

Level 6

#116008 Jun 26, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Except for the contradiction that it never happened.
There is always that too of course

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#116009 Jun 26, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Is the woman the head of the family?
Men have the X and Y Chromosomes, while the women only have the X Chromosomes. Is that true?
Ah - a great 'Did you know...' opportunity.

Did you know...

The head of all Native Indian tribes is actually the Chief's wife? She makes all the decisions (in private) and the Chief, who is basically the spokesperson, delivers this to the tribe.

Sao Paulo

#116010 Jun 26, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I only know what I gather from the scripture. We read that God is the father of all things and he is a Spirit with cloudlike hands and he created the angels who have the appearance of men. We read that God said "Let us make man in our image and likeness and let them have dominion over all the earth" and Adam was created from the dust of the earth. We read that Eve (the mother of all descendants) was made from Adams rib when he was put into a deep sleep. The power of our Creator was at work here and I can not speculate as to how this event happened in detail.
Wait. Dust of the Earth. OK, may well be, but why not do the same thing with the woman?

Whoever wrote this stuff must have been on some pretty powerful medication.
FREE SERVANT

Duluth, GA

#116011 Jun 26, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
We know what it says. We ain't buying it.
By the way, the hebrew words for "man" and "woman" are not even remotely similar. That part was simply contrived (along with the rest of the story). Man is "adam", woman is "ishshah".
I may be wrong but I thought Iysh meant man and me Iysh meant from man.

Sao Paulo

#116012 Jun 26, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain how God couldn't find Adam and Eve because they were hiding...
Seriously? I've really got to read this Bible.

*lifting rocks*
'Now where did those silly humans go?'

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#116013 Jun 26, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I may be wrong but I thought Iysh meant man and me Iysh meant from man.
Lysh can be man. But "from man" is not the same as "woman"
FREE SERVANT

Duluth, GA

#116014 Jun 26, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Lysh can be man. But "from man" is not the same as "woman"
What about ishah meaning woman and meiysh means from man or iysh and ba-ish-to means wife? Sounds close to me. Maybe we need an expert to explain these things to us here.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#116015 Jun 26, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>What about ishah meaning woman and meiysh means from man or iysh and ba-ish-to means wife? Sounds close to me. Maybe we need an expert to explain these things to us here.
But they still aren't as contrived as man and WOman.
FREE SERVANT

Duluth, GA

#116016 Jun 26, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
But they still aren't as contrived as man and WOman.
It isn't contrived. I was expecting some joker from your side to make a wise crack of some sort about all those ishes and women having to do the dishes or something like that.

Level 6

#116017 Jun 26, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>It isn't contrived. I was expecting some joker from your side to make a wise crack of some sort about all those ishes and women having to do the dishes or something like that.
Nah, that’s Islam, christian women are trained to bring beer
FREE SERVANT

Duluth, GA

#116018 Jun 26, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, that’s Islam, christian women are trained to bring beer
Funny!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word association (Jun '07) 4 min Alain Vain 3,392
Word Association (Jun '10) 7 min Alain Vain 28,480
Word Association. (Nov '10) 8 min Alain Vain 17,655
Word Association (Mar '10) 10 min Alain Vain 17,700
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 11 min Alain Vain 12,762
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 15 min Alain Vain 4,105
last word/first word. (Apr '12) 16 min Alain Vain 6,097
Last Word is First Word (no "breast" word please) 18 min Alain Vain 204
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr SLY WEST 167,329
Dedicate a song (Jul '08) 3 hr wichita-rick 16,067