Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 222780 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#115416 Jun 23, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Me neither, now play some ufo...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =dd-q-F0tat0XX
A little to hard for my taste but at least it is not rap

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#115417 Jun 23, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
why do you believe in god? what is your reasoning for that other than growing up being told that?
Part if that is true. But I believe there is more to this amazing world we live in and enjoy than it just happening by chance. It is a personal opinion and choice. You have yours and I have mine,,,they make neither of us completely wrong, right or crazy.
wondering

Morris, OK

#115418 Jun 23, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Part if that is true. But I believe there is more to this amazing world we live in and enjoy than it just happening by chance. It is a personal opinion and choice. You have yours and I have mine,,,they make neither of us completely wrong, right or crazy.
i leave you with one last thought. do take time to think about this; you were raised on the easter bunny, santa clause and the tooth fairy too weren't you? why did you let those go but hang on to the belief of god?
wondering

Morris, OK

#115419 Jun 23, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
i leave you with one last thought. do take time to think about this; you were raised on the easter bunny, santa clause and the tooth fairy too weren't you? why did you let those go but hang on to the belief of god

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#115420 Jun 23, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
yes you did. but instead of reading them and doing a little research you seemed to depend on me explaining it to you, which is why i said read and do a little research for your questions.
i see a troll as someone that won't do their own research or read provided links. that just want to troll the thread and when given links/evidence they just start throwing out questions by the pounds.
I asked a couple of questions since you brought this in here it is then began crabbing that no one was paying attention to you. Since you brought it, it seems reasonable that you might answer a couple of simple questions to get the ball rolling, but as usual, you would rather be a dick than actually discuss something.

Thanks for letting me know that. I will consider any discussion closed unless some more reasonable person would like to discuss it.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#115421 Jun 23, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
i leave you with one last thought. do take time to think about this; you were raised on the easter bunny, santa clause and the tooth fairy too weren't you? why did you let those go but hang on to the belief of god?
Eventually as kids we catch our parents or someone playing Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. I have never caught anyone playing/trying to be God.
As I said look around you at all this world is. I find that hard to believe that it all happened by chance.

Level 9

#115422 Jun 23, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
how many drunken sailors would you think there were 3000-4000 years ago?
I don't know. I didn't know we had established that the origin of a flat earth was 3-4 thousand years ago. So obviously you have data to support that science originated the claim that the earth was flat. I don't suppose you have some links you would like to share and then bellyache when you don't attention for them fast enough?

Incidentally, boats have been around for a long time. The refuted claim of a flood with Noah as captain of the ark is based on a date 4500 ybp. I imagine that there must have been some of those that used boats (sailors) that also indulged excessively in alcohol. Or do you think that is a wild fantasy with no validity? Oh sorry, I guess I better do my own research into what you think since you get so testy from questions.

Level 9

#115423 Jun 23, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Eventually as kids we catch our parents or someone playing Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. I have never caught anyone playing/trying to be God.
As I said look around you at all this world is. I find that hard to believe that it all happened by chance.
My dad dug a hole behind the barn and told Santa was buried there. That pretty much ended it for us.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#115424 Jun 23, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>My dad dug a hole behind the barn and told Santa was buried there. That pretty much ended it for us.
lol. I had older brothers and sisters that clued me in.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#115425 Jun 23, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know. I didn't know we had established that the origin of a flat earth was 3-4 thousand years ago. So obviously you have data to support that science originated the claim that the earth was flat. I don't suppose you have some links you would like to share and then bellyache when you don't attention for them fast enough?
Incidentally, boats have been around for a long time. The refuted claim of a flood with Noah as captain of the ark is based on a date 4500 ybp. I imagine that there must have been some of those that used boats (sailors) that also indulged excessively in alcohol. Or do you think that is a wild fantasy with no validity? Oh sorry, I guess I better do my own research into what you think since you get so testy from questions.
"The earliest seaworthy boats may have been developed as early as 45,000 years ago, according to one hypothesis explaining the habitation of Australia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_maritime...

Alcohol couldn't have been far behind. ;-)

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#115426 Jun 23, 2014
Alex Trebek wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did scientists come from?
When a Mommy scientist and a Daddy scientist love each other very much...

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#115427 Jun 23, 2014
Gstspkr wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually atheism has everything to with evolution. Atheism is a religion, a religion embraced by the political elite. Karl Marx wrote to his mentor that atheism will be our( the communist) religion. That would justify all the atrocities of Lenin, Stalin, Mao, and all the other despots. Survival of the fittest, only someone else does the fighting and dying. And of course, someone else does all the labor while the animals decide who else to kill in order to prevent their overthrow.
None of that has anything to do with the Theory of Evolution, regardless of simply inserting the phrase survival of the fittest into your little rant. Evolution is supported by people of all religions and political ideology. It espouses no specific philosophy.

Level 9

#115428 Jun 23, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Me neither, now play some ufo...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =dd-q-F0tat0XX
UFO Rocks!

Level 9

#115429 Jun 23, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
lol. I had older brothers and sisters that clued me in.
Yeah, mine helped with that too.

Level 9

#115430 Jun 23, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
"The earliest seaworthy boats may have been developed as early as 45,000 years ago, according to one hypothesis explaining the habitation of Australia."
That is a little earlier than I would have thought, but in retrospect it makes sense, considering the settlement of Australia. Yes, alcohol couldn't have been too far behind. Then strings of plastic beads at the party cove.

Level 9

#115431 Jun 23, 2014
I am always amused by those that say I am closed-minded because I question the claims for which they provide no evidence. The very claims that they are closed to considering are just unsupported opinion and belief.

For those of you conspiracy-loving, science-hating, willfully ignorant, intractable, fanatical, fundamentalist, creationists, could you get together an appoint a spokesperson to represent you? You pile on these SCIENCE threads to discuss your interpretation of the Bible you consider should be seen as literal and you throw in all manner of misplaced facts, wild fantasy, pseudo-philosophical rambling and bullshit. It can get fairly confusing as to which one of you all-knowing, all-seeing people has made what illogical and ridiculous claim. If you were to consolidate the opinion that you just know is true, to a single colon, I would much appreciate it. Feel free to strut as you like.

I look forward to not seeing your evidence.

Dan

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#115432 Jun 23, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting link. Which species do you think made the first boat? There are several that are supposed to have been living 45,000 years ago,(H. floresiensis, Neanderthal and Denisovan, H. sapiens(us of course) and a few others.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#115436 Jun 24, 2014
If this shows up more than once, blame topix for being ignorant and not posting it.

Just my opinion but I think a lot of people have a problem with evolution for several reasons.
To name a few that they don't/won't understand or accept;

1. prediction- science uses prediction to predict the past(upper fossils to lower fossils). think about that, "predict what has already happened". it almost sounds like an oxymoron statement.

2. evidence- we have not seen speciation occur physically, only in fossils used to predict the past species. It is told how it all works based upon mutations and natural selection which again we have never seen either create a new species.

3.words- what a word means in science many times means something different to the rest of the world. prediction for example mainly refers to the future, not past.

4. take physics for example, it does make predictions of the future as in what time the sun will rise, what time a eclipse will happen etc. evolution biology cannot be used to make future predictions or outcomes though it can see how things of work today.

5. variety- variety starts at conception/birth for we are not clones of either parent. variety is seen daily in just about every species but has never been seen to produce a new species.

There are more but I think you all get an ideal of what I am talking about. Science is not made for the public to understand but yet want the public to swallow it so to speak..I also think there is more that science knows but won't disclose do to what-ever reasons.

Anyways just my opinion and thought I would throw it out there. Now I know a certain little troll from the UK will come on and say my opinion is irrelevant, but that is expected lol.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#115437 Jun 24, 2014
What I mean by not made for the public to understood (it is the same in the medical field) is let’s say you came in ER having hard trouble breathing and after a few tests I said “you have a pneumothorax on the right and a pleural effusion on the left. Both are going to require a thoracentesis” now most people would say WTF are you talking about!!! I could have just said you have an air pocket outside your right lung and a fluid pocket outside your left lung in the pleural space not letting your lungs expand as they should and I am going to insert a tube in each to drain those. Then they would be like oh, ok.
HAGER

Newark, NJ

#115440 Jun 24, 2014
replaytime wrote:
What I mean by not made for the public to understood (it is the same in the medical field) is let’s say you came in ER having hard trouble breathing and after a few tests I said “you have a pneumothorax on the right and a pleural effusion on the left. Both are going to require a thoracentesis” now most people would say WTF are you talking about!!! I could have just said you have an air pocket outside your right lung and a fluid pocket outside your left lung in the pleural space not letting your lungs expand as they should and I am going to insert a tube in each to drain those. Then they would be like oh, ok.
Why does Jesus speak in parables? You will hear what you need in due time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 5 min Dear Missus 223,413
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 6 min Finny Ferret 27,415
News Your Life Story In 6 Words (Feb '08) 13 min September Daze 10,307
A Five Letter Word (Jan '12) 29 min Brandiiiiiiii 3,044
**4 Syllable Word A-Z** (Jul '12) 30 min Brandiiiiiiii 892
**3 Syllable Word Game - A-Z** (Jun '12) 31 min Brandiiiiiiii 1,050
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 32 min Brandiiiiiiii 5,894
Things that make life eaiser... (Apr '15) 33 min Gunslinger45 971
Phrases that you don't hear very often (Nov '11) 34 min Gunslinger45 783
What's your tip for the day? (Jul '14) 6 hr Parden Pard 2,347