Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 216596 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

wondering

Morris, OK

#115381 Jun 23, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually Mexico recently took over that title. We're a just-a-tad-svelter #2.

we must have just ate our way past them. according to this study from less than a month ago, we are number 1 again.(for most obese people)

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/health-w...
deutscher Stolz

Osnabrück, Germany

#115382 Jun 23, 2014
reporterreport wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't been pretending to be anything - YOU were assuming (just like you ASS UME that Americans are stupid, ugly, fat - you name it. When the shoe's on the other foot, and people say something negative against Germans you're all up in arms, though).
P.S.: I have lived in the U.S.A. for the greater part of my life. So have numerous Germans, Austrians and Swiss. So - do you think they're all stupid, too?
Why the hell did you give up a decent life with prosperity in Austria for a life in a third world country?
wondering

Morris, OK

#115383 Jun 23, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>That is a good question and the answer is that I don't really know. But I have read one other of your posts on this and you will probably find it surprising that I agree with you that it has been around a long time, but was only formalized into its current state over the last three or four hundred years.
My response was not a smoke screen. The flat earth was considered common knowledge at one time. It was not the result of experiment or observation of someone falling off the edge. It was superstition and ignorance an those associated with some sort of proto-science might well have followed that ignorance, but to claim it was solely science that offered it up as an explanation of the world is reaching at best. It was left for science to pull the cobwebs of myth, belief and ignorance out of the eyes of the world and show that it was indeed round.
Now with regards to the age of science and who practices science, I have read some compelling arguments that science we might call primitive by todays standards was practiced thousands of years ago and indeed by those one wouldn't think of as scientists, however, even for those people it was often a mix of common sense, proto-scientific approach, belief and superstition. Your point that as we have gained knowledge over the millennia, centuries and now months, we have been able to understand things better.
actually flat earth was by observation for what they could see at the time. no matter how far you traveled the horizon in the distance looked flat/they could not see a curve.
deutscher Stolz

Osnabrück, Germany

#115384 Jun 23, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumb, you mean like the Germans building a wall around 1/2 your country and keeping the entire population in a prison society for 50 years? And all the West German weak minded pussies stood there and watched the East German countrymen live in poverty and ignorance and total dominance by Russia?
Yea that sounds like Germans are pretty dumb to me.
It was only 1/3.
We didn't do it voluntarily.
It was the fault of Russia, America, Britain, and France.

“Jon Snow”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

The King in the Nor±h

#115385 Jun 23, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
give a scientific definition and evidence of such of a "super-organism" that you feel is most likely that life sprang from.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-superorgani...

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#115386 Jun 23, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
It was only 1/3.
We didn't do it voluntarily.
It was the fault of Russia, America, Britain, and France.
You're very gifted at math.
Much more than I, in fact.

But your knowledge of world history sucks.
wondering

Morris, OK

#115387 Jun 23, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not "accidentally".
NEXT TIME you address abiogenesis and NOT your own devises, OK?
Genetic drift is not the only factor in genetic variation.
Genetic drift is even not a very strong factor.
Genetic drift is pure RANDOM process. Pure random processes do not AUTOMATICALLY cause decrease of genetic variation. Genetic drift MAY cause gene variants to disappear completely and thereby reduce genetic variation. When the genetic variation has declined, it does not mean that the species gets extinct.
The only thing happening is that the surviving population will be vulnerable to any new selection pressures such as disease, climate change or shift in the available food source, because adapting in response to environmental changes requires sufficient genetic variation in the population for natural selection to take place.
But the first species we are talking about here, did not have a predator. There was no disease by infections because there were no other species to infect them. The food source would have been abiotic. If the abiotic food chain was still there and didn't change, there were no problems there. As the first life forms were sea borne, climate wasn't much of a problem. For instance, when they lived near undersea fumeroles as basic source for chemicals as 'food' and energy, they could have well survived even ice ages.
Please read a little bit more in the things you are talking about.
here is you a genetic drift game to play from scientificpsychic.com . be sure to click through all 7 generations to see how the genetic drift causes reduced genetic variation.

at the beginning of the game, there are five worms of different colors. during each generation, feed the worms by clicking the "feed the worms button" until all five pieces of food are distributed at random among the five worms.

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/alpha/games/...
wondering

Morris, OK

#115388 Jun 23, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
no wonder you like to insult and seem a little daft. you think wise geek is scientific evidence. oh how the world is failing in improving intelligence.
deutscher Stolz

Osnabrück, Germany

#115389 Jun 23, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
You're very gifted at math.
Much more than I, in fact.
But your knowledge of world history sucks.
I just don't believe the Anti-German-Propaganda of America and Britain.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#115390 Jun 23, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
we must have just ate our way past them. according to this study from less than a month ago, we are number 1 again.(for most obese people)
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/health-w...
I bow to your more recent data.

Mine was from way back. July 8, 2013.

'Mexico takes title of "most obese" from America'
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mexico-takes-titl...
Christians and Punishment

Beverly, MA

#115391 Jun 23, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Who told you Darwin rejected god?
I think you have realize something here, Darwin did not reject god, he rejected the dogma of
religious thinking. Because he discovered the origin of species and the truth conflicts with religious dogma.
Darwin was not impressed with the way Christians demonstrated their disagreement with science. Instead of asking questions or having a dialogue, Christians often resorted to physically punishing children who dared to read about the dinosaur bones being discovered at the time.

Darwin's daughter was the victim of such a reaction from one of her church elders. So if Christians want to gain any respect from those who study science, they might want to try to tone down their overreaction.

After all, whether or not God is the creator, why isn't the process of creation possibly some sort of Evolutionary process? Why does there have to be such a dichotomous divide?

Evolution involves a lot of incredible transformations that sure seem to have an element of the divine.

Scientists do not necessarily reject the idea of God. Einstein seemed to acknowledge the concept.

Just because someone does not buy the entire Bible, verse by verse, does not mean that they cannot fathom God. They probably have more respect for God because the Bible actually makes God seem petty and simple minded.

Science actually makes God much grander and more magnificent.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#115392 Jun 23, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
i gave links to read. as for your questions, you will have to read the links and/or do a little research of your own.
Did I not say you gave links? Were you not bellyaching about not get an interest in serious debate and discussion? Did I not say that I was going to get back to you after I reviewed it?

If you aren't serious about this and just trolling for some attention, let me know, I won't bother to get back to you.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#115393 Jun 23, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
actually flat earth was by observation for what they could see at the time. no matter how far you traveled the horizon in the distance looked flat/they could not see a curve.
Granted that is the observation, but was it scientists or drunken sailors?
wondering

Morris, OK

#115394 Jun 23, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
with junk food becoming more available throughout the world it will change hands quite often. it seems it is only just always a few big macks or a few tacos away from changing hands.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#115395 Jun 23, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
Move along troll if you can't read.
Move along little girl if you can't back up your bullshit.
wondering

Morris, OK

#115396 Jun 23, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Did I not say you gave links? Were you not bellyaching about not get an interest in serious debate and discussion? Did I not say that I was going to get back to you after I reviewed it?
If you aren't serious about this and just trolling for some attention, let me know, I won't bother to get back to you.
yes you did. but instead of reading them and doing a little research you seemed to depend on me explaining it to you, which is why i said read and do a little research for your questions.

i see a troll as someone that won't do their own research or read provided links. that just want to troll the thread and when given links/evidence they just start throwing out questions by the pounds.
wondering

Morris, OK

#115397 Jun 23, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Granted that is the observation, but was it scientists or drunken sailors?
how many drunken sailors would you think there were 3000-4000 years ago?

“Jon Snow”

Level 8

The King in the Nor±h

#115398 Jun 23, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
no wonder you like to insult and seem a little daft. you think wise geek is scientific evidence. oh how the world is failing in improving intelligence.
Actually what I think is irrelevant , that's why I give someone else to hear it from.
So if you don't understand wise, then well...we can understand why.

“Jon Snow”

Level 8

The King in the Nor±h

#115399 Jun 23, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
There may have been some fence jumping between them.
Alex Trebek

Los Angeles, CA

#115400 Jun 23, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
how many drunken sailors would you think there were 3000-4000 years ago?
Where did scientists come from?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Let's play "follow the word" (Jun '08) 3 min Aussie Kev 48,223
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 4 min SUG here 5,301
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 5 min Aussie Kev 15,254
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 7 min Aussie Kev 37,051
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 8 min Khiz Whalifa 66,957
Word Association (Jun '10) 9 min Mila Beaujolais 31,695
A six word game (Dec '08) 13 min Aussie Kev 20,646
Poll Do You Have A Topix Crush? (2014 Version) (Oct '14) 48 min Princess Hey 98
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 57 min Sharlene45 206,682
News Trump's bizarre claim that the Clinton email co... 2 hr Snowflake Nation 934
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 3 hr DMan 10,547
More from around the web