Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 199485 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Me Me Me!”

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#115324 Jun 23, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidently you do not. No one has ever claimed to know EXACTLY how old the universe is and carbon dating was never used to date everything let alone the universe. It is only useful back to around 60,000 years.
<quoted text>
The argument will never be solved because there are those who do not want to solved.
Yes I do and yes they did.

It will never be solved as long as people think of God as being instead of as a energy.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#115325 Jun 23, 2014
HOG_ the Hand of God wrote:
<quoted text>
Suppose I brought the carcass of a dog and say "here is evidence of God"; how would you know whether the evidence proves the existence of God or not?
Since you dont know God, on what basis will you determine if my assumption are correct?
<quoted text>
Look for the effect of power, for one of the primary assertions is that God is Almighty.
CAn you see or observe power?
If you can, is that evidence of the Almighty?
DO you know what God is such that you can say that God is not almighty nor is the effect of power a sign of his/its existence?
Since you don't seem to know or understand yourself, perhaps you should talk to some theologians or Biblical scholars.

Do you keep these dog carcasses in an old freezer hidden secretly in the woods?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#115326 Jun 23, 2014
Look for the effect of power, for one of the primary assertions is that God is Almighty.
OK, so I see an 'effect of power'. I have the power to type on this keyboard. How is that evidence for the existence of God?
CAn you see or observe power?
The word 'power' has many definitions. Which specific one do you mean? Power, as in energy per time? Power as in exponentiation? Power as in government power? Power as in ability of art to bring on emotion? These are all different notions and are not at all the same. Which do you mean?
If you can, is that evidence of the Almighty?
Is the existence of power evidence that there is an almighty? No.

Does the existence of something that has a a power imply the existence of something that is all powerful? No.

Is the observability of energy going past a point over time (i.e, power) evidence of a creator of the universe? No.

Is the existence of government power evidence that there is a power that controls the universe? No.

need I really go on?
DO you know what God is such that you can say that God is not almighty nor is the effect of power a sign of his/its existence?
Huh? Attempt to speak English, please. You have *defined* God as being 'Almighty'. Fine.

Now show that an 'Almighty' actually exists.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#115327 Jun 23, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I do and yes they did.
Then provide a reference supporting your claim.
Cali-girl20 wrote:
It will never be solved as long as people think of God as being instead of as a energy.
If you say so.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#115328 Jun 23, 2014
<quoted text>
Suppose I brought the carcass of a dog and say "here is evidence of God"; how would you know whether the evidence proves the existence of God or not?
Well, I could go through several of the commonly claimed properties for God and see if that carcass is relevant to the existence of something with those properties.

For example, is the carcass of a dog relevant to the existence of a creator of the universe? No.

Is the carcass of the dog relevant to the existence of a governor of the universe? No.

Is the carcass of the dog relevant to the existence of a supernatural? No.

Is the carcass of the dog relevant to the existence of a morality giver? No.

is the carcass of the dog relevant to the existence of an all powerful being? No.

Is the carcass of the dog relevant to the existence of a being that is all knowing? No.

Since most common definitions of the term 'God' involve one or more of the above properties, I conclude that the carcass of the dog is irrelevant to the existence of God.

“Me Me Me!”

Location hidden

#115329 Jun 23, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Science never claimed that world was flat. That was considered common knowledge and is even found in the Bible. It was science that showed that the world was not flat and was not the center of the universe. An effort that got the original scientists putting it forward into hot water with Christians.
The Christian scientists said it was then another scientist corrected them.
That's the way it works.

“Me Me Me!”

Location hidden

#115330 Jun 23, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Then provide a reference supporting your claim.
<quoted text>
If you say so.
I already did.
wondering

Morris, OK

#115331 Jun 23, 2014
all plant life, all land life, all aquatic life, all life period all came from one simple single-celled organism that accidentally began to reproduce, accidentally became multi-cellular and accidentally became a shape shifter. i say accidentally because if those abilities did not already exist or weren't planned, then it had to come to those abilities by accident.

did life start with a rather large population? it would have to had started with a rather large population for natural selection to act for we all know that in smaller populations genetic drift causes reduced genetic variation so the evolution of all we see today, with decreased genetic variation would not be possible.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#115332 Jun 23, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
I already did.
No, you only cited your faulty memory. Give a *real* reference.
Ozzie

Lafayette, CA

#115333 Jun 23, 2014
envelopes. i was thinking about envelopes today..

just Oz.
wondering

Morris, OK

#115334 Jun 23, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Science never claimed that world was flat. That was considered common knowledge and is even found in the Bible. It was science that showed that the world was not flat and was not the center of the universe. An effort that got the original scientists putting it forward into hot water with Christians.
how long has science been around? science has been around for many, many 1000's of years. in early science 1000's of years ago it was also thought the world was flat. it was further knowledge, coupled with time of the world they lived in that lead to knowing the world is a sphere. to say science "never" thought the world was flat is a smoke screen you are throwing out there simply in defense of science.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#115335 Jun 23, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Christian scientists said it was then another scientist corrected them.
That's the way it works.
Give us a link to the name of ONE "Christian scientist" who "said the earth was flat."

You are confusing legitimate scientific investigation and conclusion with common folk wisdom.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#115336 Jun 23, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
how long has science been around? science has been around for many, many 1000's of years. in early science 1000's of years ago it was also thought the world was flat. it was further knowledge, coupled with time of the world they lived in that lead to knowing the world is a sphere. to say science "never" thought the world was flat is a smoke screen you are throwing out there simply in defense of science.
Science has only been around the last 500 years, though there were a few who could be considered scientists from earlier.
No scientist ever said the world was flat, in fact Archimedes, the first scientist knew the Earth was round. Unfortunately the Christian Romans destroyed all knowledge that conflicted with religious dogma, so this fact was lost for nearly another millennia.
Newton is considered the father of modern science , but it does extend past him a little.
Science never assumes any position , so you see science never thought the world was flat, but did gather the evidence to show is is spherical. Your religious apologetics is no more than lies.

Location hidden

#115337 Jun 23, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>The fact that I am not trying to prove the existence of God has no impact on the validity of your claims. Your REFUSAL to provide evidence, however, does. That is why I reject your claims. They are meaningless.
Yes, it does sum up all I am. Deal with it pigeon.
You are a pigeon strutting around as if you did something important and crapping all over the board.
Boy, somebody must have really pissed you off.
You have said what you have said.

End of discussion.

Now unless you are seeking my attention, I dont see any reason for you to keep posting to me or responding to what I post.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#115338 Jun 23, 2014
wondering wrote:
all plant life, all land life, all aquatic life, all life period all came from one simple single-celled organism that accidentally began to reproduce, accidentally became multi-cellular and accidentally became a shape shifter. i say accidentally because if those abilities did not already exist or weren't planned, then it had to come to those abilities by accident.
did life start with a rather large population? it would have to had started with a rather large population for natural selection to act for we all know that in smaller populations genetic drift causes reduced genetic variation so the evolution of all we see today, with decreased genetic variation would not be possible.

You are the reason Barron Von Rumpledork thinks all Americans are stupid as dog poop.
Do us a favor and stuff a frankfurter in your mouth and stfu!

Location hidden

#115339 Jun 23, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No. You certainly *hope* that the fossils you find will *help* to resolve some questions you have.
Simple.

So you know what you are looking for and what you HOPE it will "resolve".

When you reject a concept or an assumption about God; do you know the nature of God such that you can say "no, that cannot be an attribute of God" or no that is not consistent with what God is?
polymath257 wrote:
...Sorry, but you are the one making an existence claim. It is *your* responsibility to determine *ahead of time* what would validate and what would invalidate that claim. Until you do, all claims you make can safely be ignored.
Yes.

So have I never suggested nor attempted to determine ahead of time what would validate and what would invalidate that claim?

And upon your rejection of my claim or means of validation; do you know the attributes/nature of the thing which I am trying to validate (God) such that you can say this/that does not validate it (God)?

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#115340 Jun 23, 2014
<quoted text>
Ask Dan.
He keeps walking around here with a whole flock of pigeons strutting and crapping all over the forum.
Will someone get rid of that guy and his pigeons?
I am pretty sure it began smoking of cigarettes in posts. Which is dangerous, might get digital cancer.

St. James, NY

#115341 Jun 23, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would never claim to be the smartest kid in the class but when the power goes out most people are absolutely be lost. The kids are so hooked on computers that they can't even make change without one. That's what I mean by not using all of the brain. Although there is electricity flowing to all regions we are teaching ourselves to ignore what it's saying.
Knowing music and language from all over the world is a very good thing but it won't mean squat when a solar flare hits.
But that is a different thing. Yes, by living in a highly technological culture, our ability to survive in primitive surroundings decreases. We enhance one thing and sacrifice another. We adapt to the surroundings we have, not the surroundings that might or might not happen.
wondering

Morris, OK

#115342 Jun 23, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Science has only been around the last 500 years, though there were a few who could be considered scientists from earlier.
No scientist ever said the world was flat, in fact Archimedes, the first scientist knew the Earth was round. Unfortunately the Christian Romans destroyed all knowledge that conflicted with religious dogma, so this fact was lost for nearly another millennia.
Newton is considered the father of modern science , but it does extend past him a little.
Science never assumes any position , so you see science never thought the world was flat, but did gather the evidence to show is is spherical. Your religious apologetics is no more than lies.
i think you mean aristotle, for it was he who accepted the spherical shape of the earth before archimedes was even born and knowledge of the earth being a sphere began to spread about and began to be acknowledged.

St. James, NY

#115343 Jun 23, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
Science also said at one time that the world was flat. It took people with an open mind to prove them wrong.
I'm not going to put down either side. Like I said I think they are both right in their own way.
Science has actually proven that some things said in the bible were dead on.
Science never said the world was flat. Greece had figured out the world was spherical by around the 6th Century BC. The only country that believed in a flat Earth until relatively recently was China, and they gave that up by the 17th Century.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 8 min tiger_-_dad 145,471
Fake book titles game (Feb '10) 15 min Parden Pard 4,536
A six word game (Dec '08) 17 min Parden Pard 19,224
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 19 min Parden Pard 35,236
tell me one word to describe yourself (Jun '09) 32 min Privasi 15,870
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 34 min flack 192,962
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 38 min Dale Carnegie 7,380
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr keep plugging away 56,893
2words into 2new words (May '12) 3 hr Sharlene45 2,327
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 4 hr KellyP in Jersey 32,418
More from around the web