Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 204803 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#115138 Jun 22, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Well those are the claims of Christianity, if you can't prove the claims are true, then
how do you expect to prove there's a god?
Would you accept those things (that christianity claims) as evidence or proof of God, if christians were able to prove and/or demonstrate them scientifically?

*said the spider to the fly*

Location hidden

#115139 Jun 22, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I'm pret' sure that Polymath knows the difference between an axiom and the Bare Assertion Fallacy - a distinction sadly lost on many fundies.
I was actually planning to take you seriously.

Tragic.
deutscher Stolz

Lohne, Germany

#115140 Jun 22, 2014
reporterreport wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you mean good cities where English is spoken? Or cities where good English is spoken?
In either case, how many cities worldwide do you know?
I meant cities where English is spoken.
I know a lot cities and the best city I have visited is Vienna.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#115141 Jun 22, 2014
HOG_ the Hand of God wrote:
<quoted text>Would you accept those things (that christianity claims) as evidence or proof of God, if christians were able to prove and/or demonstrate them scientifically?

Is it your intention to provide evidence of a supernatural act as described in the Bible?

“Help religion science wander”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

into the night.

#115142 Jun 22, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
All people living during WW2 are either dead or very old.
Or slaughtered by the Germans.

Level 9

into the night.

#115143 Jun 22, 2014
<quoted text>
I was actually planning to take you seriously.
Tragic.
Pigeon craps on game boards he isn't evening playing on and the messes with his fly.

Level 9

into the night.

#115145 Jun 22, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it your intention to provide evidence of a supernatural act as described in the Bible?
I think that Hell would be spending eternity listening to this hog dry hump his own voice and sniff his own brand.

He yacks on and on and doesn't say anything.

He might be a bigger word weasel than KAB and more insane than Jimbo.
THE LONE WORKER

United States

#115146 Jun 22, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, so what is the cohomology ring of S^2 x S^2 /diag with, say, integer coefficients? Give generators and relations, if you prefer.
How do we approximate by linear equations a natural system? A system will have a repeating set of movements that are not random but going from maximum to minimum values to make adjustments. Do we have a way of doing this accurately?
THE LONE WORKER

United States

#115147 Jun 22, 2014
I think some of these math experts should develop a theory to approximate the behavior of nature. Maybe a nonlinear system of equations which go from a minimum set of values to a maximum set and then to a minimum. Life on Earth is not random, and effects in one part of a system will produce changes throughout, and then a rest and restart occurs..

“Me Me Me!”

Location hidden

#115148 Jun 22, 2014
Both are correct. God made man from the earth. Evolution says we come from the earth. Science has never disproven anything in the bible.
deutscher Stolz

Wildeshausen, Germany

#115149 Jun 22, 2014
reporterreport wrote:
<quoted text>
NOW you're talking! Glad to hear it - that's where I'm from originally.
Okay, a guy who likes my native city can't be all bad...:)
What an amazing coincidence.
Then German is your mother tongue?

“Wrath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#115150 Jun 22, 2014
<quoted text>
If you understand truth you will understand why.
<quoted text>
Like I said they said:
"A person's assumptions or beliefs about the relationship between observations and a hypothesis will affect WHETHER THAT PERSON TAKES THE OBSERVATIONS AS EVIDENCE." [wikipedia.com]
<quoted text>
In your eyes.
The answer that "God did it" is acceptable.
Suppose there is a person by the name of "God", or suppose I label a person as "God".
The real question is: "how did he (God) do it or by what means?"
It is after I fail to give a satisfactory answer to HOW God did it (if I fail), that my testimony will be brought into question (or I be brought straight to jail :))...
<quoted text>
So at what point can you ever be sure that the person reporting or being questions is not doing or is not subject to any one or all of those factors?
Are you a chipmunk or something?

“Wrath”

Level 8

Is revenant

#115151 Jun 22, 2014
<quoted text>
Would you accept those things (that christianity claims) as evidence or proof of God, if christians were able to prove and/or demonstrate them scientifically?
isn't that what we are talking about in "some" detail?

*Said the hunter to the hog.

“Wrath”

Level 8

Is revenant

#115152 Jun 22, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
Both are correct. God made man from the earth. Evolution says we come from the earth. Science has never disproven anything in the bible.
You messed up saying that, now you will get pregnant from reading about it.

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#115153 Jun 22, 2014
<quoted text>
As far as I am concerned, any concept which has consistency will influence valid, effective feedback when applied.
Regardless of our description of reality and the means by which we arrive at them; our conclusions will never amount to anything more than a rationalization.
Evolution is just another rationalization of reality, just like demonology or angeology etc.
But it is the equity (equality/consistency) in any rationalization that works, such that any rationalization with sufficient consistency will lead to the attainment of meaningful results.
As such, evolution is just another perspective, not worthy of being embraced nor rejected any more than any other concept.
Di I answer your question?
I think so. So does that mean that you neither embrace nor reject the Theory of Gravity, Germ Theory, Atomic Theory and all other scientific principles as well?

Also, when we are talking about embracing (your word) does that mean to hold in high esteem or simply accepting it? If you are saying that Evolution works as a scientific theory but is not any more deserving of praise or attention than any other current theory, I would agree with you. The only reason it gets so much attention from scientists is because of all the attacks on it. Were it not for those it would just be another theory amongst many. Perhaps a better question is, Do you think Evolution is an accurate explanation for the diversity of life on Earth?

Level 9

into the night.

#115154 Jun 22, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
Science has shown that the events of Genesis did not occur.

Level 9

into the night.

#115155 Jun 22, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
I think so. So does that mean that you neither embrace nor reject the Theory of Gravity, Germ Theory, Atomic Theory and all other scientific principles as well?
Also, when we are talking about embracing (your word) does that mean to hold in high esteem or simply accepting it? If you are saying that Evolution works as a scientific theory but is not any more deserving of praise or attention than any other current theory, I would agree with you. The only reason it gets so much attention from scientists is because of all the attacks on it. Were it not for those it would just be another theory amongst many. Perhaps a better question is, Do you think Evolution is an accurate explanation for the diversity of life on Earth?
I do not embrace that a straight line is the shortest distance between points. I think the shortest distance between two points is a line extending from one point to the other. I stand by my position. I also stand by pi = 3 as long as it is not being used by anyone building something I am paying for.

Location hidden

#115157 Jun 22, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
What if I could?

what would you accept as evidence of a "supernatural"?

Level 9

into the night.

#115158 Jun 22, 2014
<quoted text>
What if I could?
what would you accept as evidence of a "supernatural"?
A weekend with Scarlett Johansson.

*notes pile of half-smoked Glamour Superslims near pigeon*

Location hidden

#115159 Jun 22, 2014
<quoted text>
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> isn't that what we are talking about in "some" detail?
*Said the hunter to the hog.
Are we hunting here, or are we playing doge-ball?

Yes/No.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 4 min CJ Rocker 3,858
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 7 min CJ Rocker 14,111
only TWO words! (Nov '08) 9 min CJ Rocker 27,569
Word Association. (Nov '10) 10 min Calisportsgirl 19,697
2words into 2new words (May '12) 13 min CJ Rocker 3,789
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 14 min CJ Rocker 197,336
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 16 min Calisportsgirl 19,744
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 21 min A TROLL NAMED SLACK 8,818
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 42 min Behind The Scenes 20,002
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr revilot2 59,723