Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 168998 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#114434 Jun 17, 2014
HOG_ the Hand of God wrote:
Does the universe have the capacity for intelligence?
It has the capacity to contain intelligent biological organisms inside it. That's the only known way intelligence exists.

At the moment.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#114435 Jun 17, 2014
<quoted text>
Liar.
I have made an observation, not an opinion.
Will:
"—used to express desire, choice, willingness, consent, or in negative constructions refusal <no one would take the job>>>"
[http://www.merriam-webster.co m/dictionary]
Disposition:
"2. a natural or acquired tendency, INCLINATION, or habit in a person or thing"
[http://dictionary.reference.c om]
"in·cli·na·tion
: a feeling of wanting to do something : a tendency to do something"
[http://www.merriam-webster.co m/dictionary]
THEREFORE:
Both "will" (intent) and "disposition" (natural tendency, such as natural selection) REPRESENT INCLINATIONS.
And since we are of nature and exist in nature, both human will and disposition of the world express the "inclination" of nature.
We are nature, being natural products of it and remaining in it; therefore whatever terms can be applied to man can be applied to nature.
Nope. Just more word salad.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#114436 Jun 17, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
Some Germans are Creationists. Using deutscher Stolz logic we can conclude that all Germans are stupid.
Obviously this is not true, as are most 'All X are Y' type statements when discussing people, but try telling him that.
ell you

There's no telling him anything. He knows it all.
deutscher Stolz

Osnabrück, Germany

#114437 Jun 17, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
Some Germans are Creationists. Using deutscher Stolz logic we can conclude that all Germans are stupid.
Obviously this is not true, as are most 'All X are Y' type statements when discussing people, but try telling him that.
German creationists are the exception.

American creationists are the rule.

Never met a German creationist. Even though I am surrounded by Germans my whole life.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#114438 Jun 17, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Have a poll to back this up?

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#114439 Jun 17, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Never met a German creationist. Even though I am surrounded by Germans my whole life.
Not to let facts get in the way of a good ill informed rant, but Evolution is taught in all public and almost all private High Schools, in all but a few colleges and universities, and is accepted fact in all laboratories and scientific institutions, not to mention a court of law.

The 'rule' you refer to is due to perception created by opponents of Evolution using the only tool available to them, and the only tool they are good at, propaganda. They use PR, news shows desperate for controversy to fill programming, talking heads with agendas and the internet to create the appearance that there is a scientific debate where none actually exists.

And you bought it.

I will leave it to you to dwell on the irony of a German being taken in by propaganda.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#114440 Jun 17, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Therefore evolution occurs because reproduction results in variety.
Can/ does it occur independently or dependently with or without creation?

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#114441 Jun 17, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>

... every time a random carnivore eats one herbivore (or another carnivore), it eats either the one male specimen or the female of that species. From that moment that species got extinct.
Get the problem?.....
So THAT'S what happened to the Unicorn and Griffin.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#114442 Jun 17, 2014
<quoted text>
Does natural selection happen before or after mutation?
After. A mutation has to exist and be expressed in order for natural selection to act on it.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#114443 Jun 17, 2014
<quoted text>
Does the universe have the capacity for intelligence?
Vague question. The universe clearly has the capacity to *produce* intelligent species. That is very different than the universe itself being intelligent. No, the universe as a whole shows no signs of being intelligent or even intelligently designed.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#114444 Jun 17, 2014
Discord wrote:
I will leave it to you to dwell on the irony of a German being taken in by propaganda.
Indeed.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#114445 Jun 17, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not honest of you.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#114446 Jun 17, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Exactly. That was what i was trying to explain to the Dude. Look it up!
They are really not seperate, they are part of the other.
Can you not read? What is exact is that I wrote “Creation and evolution are two separate concepts.”

So where do you understand “two separate concepts” is meaning the same as “they are part of the other”?

Also you claimed “reproduction is a process of creation”. Note the word order.

So in fact not exactly but 100% opposite.

“What U Don't Know U Fear”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

What U Fear U Will Never Know

#114447 Jun 17, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that I was correct in my previous post.
Those articles do not say that a world wide flood is possible.
You did not understand what you read. Or else you read articles that were simplified too much.
I think the one with a reading problem is you. As I said and will say again(pay attention this time) "but to be sure there is no misunderstanding here, none of that means a world wide flood is/was possible. All I am saying is there is more water under us than we ever thought

Level 5

#114448 Jun 17, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
I quote the second article: "The water molecules are actually stuck in the mineral structure of the rock," Wysession explained. "As you heat this up, it eventually dehydrates. It's like taking clay and firing it to get all the water out."
What would happen, do you think, if some unknown heating event of parts of the mantle as big as a complete continent, is dehydrating the pertained rocks to release their water in a tempo of a few days as required by the Genesis account of the flood?
How much water? Genesis says the world was covered with water, covering all the mountains, even exceeding by 15 cubits. Simple calculation learns that this needs 3 times the total amount of current surface water on the planet EXTRA.
All that water has to originate from the mantle.
Now, the question again: what do you think will happen when 3 times the total amount of current water will be released in the form of steam of several hundreds degree Celsius?
Well, trust me, calculations have shown that this will basically cause the atmosphere to heat up to a degree that dealing with the water by building the arc is the LEAST of Noah's problems. He basically will cook and choke to death.
I have a nice riddle for you.
Now let's imagine:
1. creationists solved all these problems: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark... ,
2. the stratified fossil record isn't there,
3. the geological column isn't there,
4. Noah and his family and all the animals on the arc did survive the cooking and choking event and Noah released all the animals from the arc in the aftermath of the flood.
Here's the riddle:
- of each "kind" there were two specimen, a female and a male
- there were herbivores and carnivores
- there was no plant life because all plant life is killed of when inundated in kilometres of salt water for months
- hence all herbivores starve to death
- as far they manage to live, they will be eaten by one of the carnivores
- every time a random carnivore eats one herbivore (or another carnivore), it eats either the one male specimen or the female of that species. From that moment that species got extinct.
Get the problem?
Already excited in anticipation of your answer.
Yours sincerely, wasting away......
as I said"but to be sure there is no misunderstanding here, none of that means a world wide flood is/was possible. All I am saying is there is more water under us than we ever thought.

I can see you have not be here for a bit. So to make a long story short - as I said before the ark would have to be much bigger than claimed to be to carry food for all the animals. They would had to have farms on board to raise food for(meat and plant) for the animals.

As far as what if f one ate another male or female, Genesis 7:2 - Take with you seven pairs of all clean animals, the male and his mate, and a pair of the animals that are not clean, the male and his mate,-I guess only the unclean would have suffered the extinction.

But then again back to what I said about the ark in the above statement.

Level 5

#114449 Jun 17, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you say that?
One would think that every mutation has an effect on the individual, even if small. If in the population none of the them, no 2 will have the exact mutations then it stands to reason that some with different mutations still will evolve to the same outcome/effect of the population. Is there a dominant mutation that supersedes all the others? Again as I say "don't know if all that makes since, so I am asking." .

Level 5

#114450 Jun 17, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that is NOT what I am saying. If a different collection of mutations happens, then the species would evolve in a different direction. It would still become more adapted to the environment, but in a different way.
Lets take race. It is easy to see that we humans are all the same species. I kind of look at race as an example of having different mutations but yet still evolving with the population even though slightly different.(skin color, bone structure(nose shape etc), the eye opening shape, height, ability, etc.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#114451 Jun 17, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the one with a reading problem is you. As I said and will say again(pay attention this time) "but to be sure there is no misunderstanding here, none of that means a world wide flood is/was possible. All I am saying is there is more water under us than we ever thought
You also claimed that a worldwide flood was possible. That was not implied by that article at all. Put it this way, if the bank that you use has assets of a billion dollars it does not mean that it would be possible for you to withdraw a billion dollars tomorrow. At the worst the water in the mantle acts as a reservoir. If you wanted to get enough water out of the mantle to flood the Earth the water would be the least of our problems.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#114452 Jun 17, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
One would think that every mutation has an effect on the individual, even if small. If in the population none of the them, no 2 will have the exact mutations then it stands to reason that some with different mutations still will evolve to the same outcome/effect of the population. Is there a dominant mutation that supersedes all the others? Again as I say "don't know if all that makes since, so I am asking." .
I don’t know if this is of interest but consider blue eyes.

They did not exist in the human population 10,000 years ago then a mutation, not in the OCA2 gene that effects eye colour but the gene next to it caused the limitation of the OCA2’s P protein production which results in lower melanin production and lighter hair and blue eyes

This mutation stemmed from a single common ancestor born in Turkey.

Level 5

#114453 Jun 17, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You also claimed that a worldwide flood was possible. That was not implied by that article at all. Put it this way, if the bank that you use has assets of a billion dollars it does not mean that it would be possible for you to withdraw a billion dollars tomorrow. At the worst the water in the mantle acts as a reservoir. If you wanted to get enough water out of the mantle to flood the Earth the water would be the least of our problems.
You still think it is a myth that the chameleon changes colors to blend in to avoid predators?
Again not saying that is the only reason, but it is one of the reasons.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 4 min Harassment NET 165,526
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 28 min eleanorigby 41,436
Word Association (Jun '10) 36 min wichita-rick 28,115
Things that make life eaiser... 1 hr Camilla 686
Let's Play Songs Titled with Two Words ... (Nov '14) 1 hr wichita-rick 926
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 1 hr wichita-rick 2,264
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 1 hr cathouse cowboy 9,975
Poll What's funnier? 3 hr Thigh High Sock 8
Child Sex Offenders 5 hr TALLYHO 8541 50
News Internet horrified by photo of giant 'Texas Red... 5 hr Emerald 6
More from around the web