Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223384 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Petal Power

“It's a New Dawn”

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#114531 Jun 17, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
No you don't understand me. I never said that I know everything. There are many things I don't know. Much more than I know. But in comparison to Americans I know very much.
<quoted text>
I know that Germany has a lot to be proud of but America has nothing to be proud of.
NOT even ROCK 'N' ROLL?? And MALTED Shakes!!

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#114532 Jun 17, 2014
Petal Power wrote:
<quoted text> NOT even ROCK 'N' ROLL?? And MALTED Shakes!!
And Jazz, Blues, Bluegrass!
Television, Movie industries, etc...

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#114533 Jun 17, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't talk like them. I don't want to invade other countries. I just want to protect my country from stupid greedy Americans. You have already exploited my country twice.
You mean the greedy Americans that supply more exports to Germany than any other country in Europe? The reason I don't take the criticisms of Europeans very seriously is that they are usually doing it while in some way consuming American consumer or manufactured goods. So feel free to say whatever you wish about America. You certainly paid for the privilege.

Orlando

#114534 Jun 17, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean the greedy Americans that supply more exports to Germany than any other country in Europe? The reason I don't take the criticisms of Europeans very seriously is that they are usually doing it while in some way consuming American consumer or manufactured goods. So feel free to say whatever you wish about America. You certainly paid for the privilege.
Not to mention that the American manufacturing and food processing industries lead the way via the Berlin Airlift and our government implemented the Marshall Plan, BOTH of which were instrumental in the survival of German citizens, and in the economic and cultural recovery of Germany immediately following WWII.
gyt

Europe

#114535 Jun 17, 2014
why doesn't stolz defend his fatherland from the many anti-German posters on the German forum here on topix?

here a typical thread.
http://topix.com/forum/world/germany/TJQ0S8H4...

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#114536 Jun 17, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to mention that the American manufacturing and food processing industries lead the way via the Berlin Airlift and our government implemented the Marshall Plan, BOTH of which were instrumental in the survival of German citizens, and in the economic and cultural recovery of Germany immediately following WWII.
Well seeing as we were apparantly the cause of WWII I guess that isn't much of an argument. We, and the Brits I guess, also caused the Holocaust, the camps and the Final Solution while the poor Germans looks on helplessly, powerless to stop us. Then we got in our time machines, killed Christ, enslaved the Jews in Egypt, murdered the dinosaurs, and caused the ice age. Killing the dodos was just bad driving on the way back.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#114537 Jun 17, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
I addressed this already TWICE.
Leave your dirty, grabbing hands OFF my words.
THIRD time:
- natural selection is the PROCESS to retain...
*puffs a cigarette and flashes a sly grin*

So you DO admit that there IS an influence or set of influences (inside or outside or both) specifically, repeatedly acting TO RETAIN?

I am not twisting your words, I am trying to figure out whether you have a concrete understanding of what you are talking about or only a formal one.

If you do have "concrete" level understanding you should be able to rephrase the descriptions using terms so simple even a 3 year year old could understand.

I work in the field of Education; I should know.
TurkanaBoy wrote:
"FIT" IS NOT "INADEQUATE".
It is FIT.
F - I - T.
Did I suggest that FIT is INADEQUATE?

If I did, I misrepresented the idea I was hoping to communicate.

I most certainly must equate FITNESS with ADEQUACY as opposed to INADEQUACY.
TurkanaBoy wrote:
Are you eating meat?
Then you are a predator.
In that case you exercise natural selection on your prey.
Really?

So explain how that involves a "process to retain..."

Retain what exactly?

Am I trying to retain the genes of the animal by consuming it so that its proteins etc get assimilated into my body?

Location hidden

#114538 Jun 17, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's A LITTLE BIT LESS ambiguous.
If you mean by "behave" the kind of "behavior" we see in animals or humans: NO.
If you mean by "behave" the kind of "behavior" of celestial bodies due to gravitational field and momentum, yes, you may say that universe has behavior.
Is that an "intelligent" behavior in the way you defined it? NO.
If X generates Y and Y is intelligent;

What is more rational to assume:

a) X is intelligent
b) X is not intelligent

Location hidden

#114539 Jun 17, 2014
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
Over time, yes, unless they evolve into a better suited species.
Actually, Turks says that its a "...process to retain..."

He seems to be the big dingaling around here when it comes to scientific stuff, so I think I'll ride with his suggestion for now. No offence.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#114540 Jun 17, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
And we don't care what you think. So what else have we got?
Facts to support our respective cases.
Oh wait - YOU don't have that...
Yes you have the facts in your own delusion.

Location hidden

#114541 Jun 17, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
HOG
The evolutionist has two primary agendas
1. Removing Judeo Christian thought from planet Earth by any means necessary
2. Gaining credibility for their scientific studies so they can get a University Grant for research.
Those are powerful motivations for religious and economic gain.
I know that full well.

"It is NOT that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an absolute, for WE cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door."
[Professor Richard Lewontin, a geneticist (and self-proclaimed Marxist)]

And this is the scary part:

"The eminent Kant scholar Lewis Beck used to say that anyone who could believe in God could believe in anything. To appeal to an omnipotent deity is to allow that at any moment the regularities of nature may be ruptured, that Miracles may happen." [http://creation.com/amazing-a dmission-lewontin-quote]

So they are being led to cut themselves off.

Level 2

Location hidden

#114543 Jun 17, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
No you don't understand me. I never said that I know everything. There are many things I don't know. Much more than I know. But in comparison to Americans I know very much.
<quoted text>
I know that Germany has a lot to be proud of but America has nothing to be proud of.
Keep consoling your self. That is good enough for you.( Frown).

Location hidden

#114544 Jun 17, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Except that MOST Christians *ARE* "evolutionists".
*puffs cigarette and stares blankly at Kong*
Kong_ wrote:
And a great number of scientists that accept and are further studying evolution are Christians...
And if "evolutionists" were REALLY out for money, they'd be Creationists, or Intelligent Designers, and be selling books and speaking engagements to gullible people like you.
*raises eyebrows and takes another puff from cigarette, puts the cigarette out and light another*

Level 2

Location hidden

#114545 Jun 17, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not a question, that's a statement.
Of course, you cannot back it up.
Likewise. You can not either.

Location hidden

#114546 Jun 17, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
That's nice. So cut the BS and get to the point already.
But it is first necessary for you to answer the questions.

1. Is looking for evidence that someone said something, the same as looking for evidence that a vehicle has passed a particular spot?
2. Do words have the same effects as tire tracks?
3. Do words leave impressions on the ground like tire tracks?
4. Do we not know that when looking for evidence of things, it is the nature of the thing that determines how that thing will/can be investigated?

Level 2

Location hidden

#114547 Jun 17, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I see you believe God does not exist but yet you assign God a race and I think you have also assigned God a gender.. Interesting. By the way it was Jesus who was the Jew, not God. As far as I know God has no race, color or gender.
Halleluyah!
In addition, God is infinite.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#114548 Jun 17, 2014
HOG_ the Hand of God wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that full well.
"It is NOT that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an absolute, for WE cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door."
[Professor Richard Lewontin, a geneticist (and self-proclaimed Marxist)]
And this is the scary part:
"The eminent Kant scholar Lewis Beck used to say that anyone who could believe in God could believe in anything. To appeal to an omnipotent deity is to allow that at any moment the regularities of nature may be ruptured, that Miracles may happen." [http://creation.com/amazing-a dmission-lewontin-quote]
So they are being led to cut themselves off.
but miracles have never happened...

the laws of the universe have never been breached by some fictitious man created myth.

Orlando

#114549 Jun 17, 2014
HOG_ the Hand of God wrote:
<quoted text>
*puffs cigarette and stares blankly at Kong*
<quoted text>
*raises eyebrows and takes another puff from cigarette, puts the cigarette out and light another*
[Lights 'Arturo Fuente Churchill', and exhales smoke in HOG's face. Smiles understandingly at his confusion, and takes another sip of his Macallan 12yr old.]

Level 2

Location hidden

#114550 Jun 17, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong for using that,“ European”. You are generalising the whole thing. Remember he is bragging for Germany and not Europe, even though he is a European. Other Europeans are not in support of him. He is just a loner.

Location hidden

#114551 Jun 17, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
No, our intelligence is inside the universe, a product of natural forces in nature.
You sure do like to drag stuff out, eh.
1. Obtain a clean sheet of paper, a pencil and a compass (if you want your circle to be pretty)

2. Inscribe three circles of three different sizes, so that the largest one contains the medium one and the medium one contains the smallest one.

3. Label the smallest circle B (for brain)

4. Label the medium circle I (for individual)

5. Label the largest circle U (for universe)

Question/s:

If "B" performs intelligent behavior, is "I" intelligent?

If "I" performs intelligent behavior is "U" intelligent?

IF the universe generating and possessing intelligent mechanisms is not intelligent: you possessing a brain in your head (assuming you do) does not make you intelligent.

But its all the same.

Because if you can look at yourself with all your faculties of reason and creativity in the mirror and say that you DO NOT see any intelligence in the design; you are probably right.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stupid things to ponder ... (Feb '08) 8 min greymouser 8,651
I Like..... (Mar '14) 15 min North Mountain 2,097
Type the word Cat 34 min North Mountain 350
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 37 min greymouser 6,334
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 38 min andet1987 39,921
* Things You Don't Want To See * 55 min greymouser 209
Are Laura and Faith opposite sides of the sane ... 1 hr andet1987 2
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr North Mountain 231,456
Two rhyming words! (Jun '12) 2 hr North Mountain 862