Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223384 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#114470 Jun 17, 2014
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know, do you have the capacity?
Suppose I do.

What would that imply, as it relates to the question?

Location hidden

#114471 Jun 17, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that supposed to be an answer?
Skip the word salad and answer the question. How does natural selection demonstrate intent?
Just checking to make sure you know what intelligence means.

So far, I am not seeing any sign that you do.
deutscher Stolz

Osnabrück, Germany

#114472 Jun 17, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it is not the 'truth'.
It is merely you biased opinion based upon limited contact with other cultures.
Then tell me. Why am I just average intelligent (the Turks not included) inside of Germany but superior outside of Germany?

Ich have already been in France, Spain, the Uk, Austria, Switzerland, Czech republic, the Netherlands, Denmark, Poland, Marocco, the united arabic emirates, Saudi Arabia (my uncle is working there as a political economist) and Italy.
The only intelligent people I have met were in Austria and the German part of Switzerland.
Besides Austria is nothing but Germany. I consider Austria as the 17th 'Bundesland'.

Location hidden

#114473 Jun 17, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
It has the capacity to contain intelligent biological organisms inside it. That's the only known way intelligence exists.
At the moment.
Okay.

So are we and our intelligence separate from the universe?

Is our intelligence the product of natural forces in nature, or outside/beyond of nature?
THE LONE WORKER

Tucker, GA

#114474 Jun 17, 2014
Back many years ago some people made their own soap which was made from lard and lye. Many people got their lye from the bottom of wooden rain barrels, which were filled with stove or fire place ashes. I don't know if a person could use lye and aluminum to make enough hydrogen to power a hydrogen fuel celled engine, but maybe so.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#114475 Jun 17, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think dS is right: http://ncse.com/news/2011/04/polling-creation... .
I disagree. There are a percentage of Germans who are creationists - about 12% or 1 in 8.

The majority of Americans are not creationists. About 40% are but that is not a majority or the "rule" as bubi claimed.

Location hidden

#114476 Jun 17, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
... The universe clearly has the capacity to *produce* intelligent species. That is very different than the universe itself being intelligent. No, the universe as a whole shows no signs of being intelligent or even intelligently designed.
Okay.

Does a scientist who creates an artificially intelligent system show signs of being intelligent?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#114477 Jun 17, 2014
HOG_ the Hand of God wrote:
<quoted text>
Just checking to make sure you know what intelligence means.
So far, I am not seeing any sign that you do.
Oh, I feel SOOOOOO bad. I'm stupid because you can't answer the f**king question. You betcha.

Location hidden

#114478 Jun 17, 2014
I Talk to Dumb People wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, how are you doing today?
To address your dumb questions; the answers are yes and yes.
They say "send a thief to catch a thief"; so I guess thats why they sent a dumb person in search of dumb questions...

*flicks cigarette, and spits on the ground*

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#114479 Jun 17, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. There are a percentage of Germans who are creationists - about 12% or 1 in 8.
The majority of Americans are not creationists. About 40% are but that is not a majority or the "rule" as bubi claimed.
US population 316 million. 40% are creationist=126 million are creationist=1 in 2.5

Germany population 80 million. 12% are creationists=9 million are creationist.=1 in 8.8

Location hidden

#114480 Jun 17, 2014
HOG_Hand Of God wrote:
Does water have the capacity to hold/carry heat?
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Does water burn?
No.
Ok.

Now that the world has an idea of the level of critical thinking skills of the people involved... lets move on...
TurkanaBoy wrote:
Do you understand metaphors?
Yes, I do.

But in all your scientific objectivity, it seemed beyond you to engage in the use of metaphors during such debates/discussions.

I would have thought that metaphors and symbolism, analogy and anthropomorphism etc were strictly to implements of creatards, god-bots, ancient desert codex readers etc etc.
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Asking whether the universe has the capacity for intelligence is like asking whether water burns or incinerates. Senseless question. A senseless question provokes irony.
Please state the question in an unambiguous way.
I was not being metaphorical in my choice of expressions.

The words I used are well known to you and are meaningful in the scientific community:

Nevertheless, I shall rephrase.

Does the universe have the capacity to behave intelligently or demonstrate elements of behavior similar to those observable in intelligent behavior?

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#114481 Jun 17, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
One would think that every mutation has an effect on the individual, even if small. If in the population none of the them, no 2 will have the exact mutations then it stands to reason that some with different mutations still will evolve to the same outcome/effect of the population. Is there a dominant mutation that supersedes all the others? Again as I say "don't know if all that makes since, so I am asking." .
A single point mutation that doesn't cause a change in an amino acid would be an example of a neutral mutation. If the mutation is to a dominant allele, then your answer would be yes, but the recessive allele or mutated recessive allele could still remain in the population at a low frequency.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#114482 Jun 17, 2014
HOG_ the Hand of God wrote:
<quoted text>
They say "send a thief to catch a thief"; so I guess thats why they sent a dumb person in search of dumb questions...
*flicks cigarette, and spits on the ground*
I didn't figure you for a spitter.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#114483 Jun 17, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Then tell me. Why am I just average intelligent (the Turks not included) inside of Germany but superior outside of Germany?
Ich have already been in France, Spain, the Uk, Austria, Switzerland, Czech republic, the Netherlands, Denmark, Poland, Marocco, the united arabic emirates, Saudi Arabia (my uncle is working there as a political economist) and Italy.
The only intelligent people I have met were in Austria and the German part of Switzerland.
Besides Austria is nothing but Germany. I consider Austria as the 17th 'Bundesland'.
Getting kind of close to some * v - e - r - y * dangerous concepts expressed by a certain German dictator some 70 years or so ago, bucko.

You have LIMITED contact with persons of other cultures, and yet you consider yourself "superior".

You're not even "superior" on this thread (not that I am claiming I am either).

What you have stated above is your *OPINION*. You have no data to back up your OPINION. All you are is just a very biased, hormone-fueled, naive kid who should take a step back, learn more about *REAL* history, and gain a bit of humility.
THE LONE WORKER

Tucker, GA

#114484 Jun 17, 2014
Hydrogen can also be burned in an internal combustion engine. I have heard of hydrogen being introduced to gasoline engines as well, to at least double gas mileage.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#114485 Jun 17, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
US population 316 million. 40% are creationist=126 million are creationist=1 in 2.5
Germany population 80 million. 12% are creationists=9 million are creationist.=1 in 8.8
Works for me.

Location hidden

#114486 Jun 17, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't figure you for a spitter.
But then again you dont figure anything much it seems...
THE LONE WORKER

Tucker, GA

#114487 Jun 17, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
yes, energy waves move through the earth. That is part of how we know there is a core at the center. No, the inner core could NOT be simply ionized molecules. First, the pressure is too large for that. Second, the refraction from the quakes shows it isn't. The outer core is 'liquid' but certainly not salt water. More like liquid iron.
Your scripture is wrong.
I may be wrong at interpretation, but the scriptures are right. Let all men be liars and let God be true. In your educated guess, you say there is not much salt water below the mantle, is this correct?

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#114488 Jun 17, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you use your preconceptions of other nations and cultures to determine intelligence rather than any kind of objective measure. You would immediately discount an intelligent thing said by someone from a country or culture you consider unintelligent. We like to call that bias.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#114489 Jun 17, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to let facts get in the way of a good ill informed rant, but Evolution is taught in all public and almost all private High Schools, in all but a few colleges and universities, and is accepted fact in all laboratories and scientific institutions, not to mention a court of law.
The 'rule' you refer to is due to perception created by opponents of Evolution using the only tool available to them, and the only tool they are good at, propaganda. They use PR, news shows desperate for controversy to fill programming, talking heads with agendas and the internet to create the appearance that there is a scientific debate where none actually exists.
And you bought it.
I will leave it to you to dwell on the irony of a German being taken in by propaganda.
Sweet.

Way to stick it to the big-mouth Hitler youth. LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 11 min Princess Hey 17,440
Two rhyming words! (Jun '12) 19 min North Mountain 837
Stupid things to ponder ... (Feb '08) 21 min Rip Van Winkle 8,641
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 26 min Princess Hey 6,794
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 26 min Princess Hey 19,245
WHo ARe YOu THinking ABout RIght NOw (Jul '13) 2 hr UnderstandPeople 1,532
Type the word Cat 3 hr North Mountain 321
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 hr Sen. Feinstein 231,389
The Human Evolution 4 hr Spirit 45
News Bizarre robbery ended with sex act as an 'examp... 19 hr Christshariahns 13