Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 222129 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#114158 Jun 14, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
Besides the German cuisine is totally underestimated.
I sure wasn't expecting that!
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#114159 Jun 14, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
The first is funny to Brits because the word "fanny" is a nasty slang term fro vagina there. So the ladies name sounds like Fotze Geruch to them. Actually not quite Geruch, Google translate cannot seem to get the active act of smelling down.
Second how could Germans ever complain about American food? That is worse than the pot calling the kettle black. Second to England, Germany is supposed to have some of the worst cuisine in all of Europe.
And the surname Chmelar is even not of German origin, it is a Slavonic name, associated with the meaning 'to hop', essentially "hopper".

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#114160 Jun 14, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
I know but it is still unfunny.
<quoted text>
Not only Germans are complaining about your food. Almost all Europeans are complaining.
The complaining is not about taste. It is about our health.
Besides the German cuisine is totally underestimated. Non-Germans only know Sauerkraut, Bratwurst or something like this but German cuisine is much more
For example your bread is crap. In Germany we have over 300 different kinds of bread and we are missing it so much abroad. A friend of mine has been in America for six month and she said that she can't eat American bread. She baked her own German bread in America. You can't buy in America Roggenbrot, Mischbrot, Schwarzbrot, Knäckebrot, Vollkornbrot,...
In America you can only buy Weißbrot (white bread). Have you ever seen black bread or at least darker bread in America? Furthermore your beer tastes like water and we have some thousands different kinds of sausages.
btw our cuisine is very similar to the Czech cuisine. Sauerbraten with dumplings is delicious.
look here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_cuisine
Can you buy bread rolls (Brötchen) in America?
Wo2! You are about 50 years behind the times. You take our worst and assume it is our best. McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken are American chains that are popular worldwide. That does not make them what we would typically eat for dinner. At home I cook all sorts of ethnic foods and I do not buy white bread except when I buy a fresh loaf of French bread.

Our beer is comparable to the best beers of any country. Not Budweiser or Coors of course. But then you probably have popular flavorless beers too. Samuel Adams is one mass produced brand that I find drinkable.

And your friend either lied to you or shopped at gas stations.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#114161 Jun 14, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
To smell = riechen or duften.
Yes, but how do you make it a descriptive verb like "Smeller"? And I now that is not proper English.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#114162 Jun 14, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter. I'll never trust a Brit again.
All because a bunch of OTHER Brits didn't have a great sense of humour in your opinion?

Seems rather harsh.

:-/

Level 9

Everett, WA

#114163 Jun 14, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
And the surname Chmelar is even not of German origin, it is a Slavonic name, associated with the meaning 'to hop', essentially "hopper".
But that is not why the Brits were laughing. In the U.S. we would be laughing at "Puddy Chmelar" for the same reasons. And though "Puddy" is not used that way in England the writers of the James Bond movies knew how it was used in the U.S.. I don't think a character named "Fanny Galore" would not be well accepted in front of a British audience. Much less "Octo-fanny".

ETA: The word P U S S Y is a no no on this site. I switched d's for s's above.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#114164 Jun 14, 2014
Oops, make that I switched "s's" for "d's" above.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#114165 Jun 14, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I sure wasn't expecting that!
Sure the German cuisine is mainly underestimated by the Germans themselves.
deutscher Stolz

Vechta, Germany

#114166 Jun 14, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but how do you make it a descriptive verb like "Smeller"? And I now that is not proper English.
I as a German would translate it to "Muschiriecher".'Mus chi' is a slang word for 'Vagina'(Fanny) and 'smeller' is 'Riecher'
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#114167 Jun 14, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
But that is not why the Brits were laughing. In the U.S. we would be laughing at "Puddy Chmelar" for the same reasons. And though "Puddy" is not used that way in England the writers of the James Bond movies knew how it was used in the U.S.. I don't think a character named "Fanny Galore" would not be well accepted in front of a British audience. Much less "Octo-fanny".
ETA: The word P U S S Y is a no no on this site. I switched d's for s's above.
I know, I know! Had a good laugh too, it's really funny!
But the pronunciation in the quiz is wrong, both in German the 'ch' is the velar fricative [k](in that position as an initial when a consonant follows. so the pronunciation in German would be 'gmellar' or even 'kmellar'. In Slavonic languages the pronunciation is the velar, voiceless fricative [x], which does not exist in English. It sounds like this:
deutscher Stolz

Vechta, Germany

#114168 Jun 14, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Wo2! You are about 50 years behind the times. You take our worst and assume it is our best. McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken are American chains that are popular worldwide. That does not make them what we would typically eat for dinner. At home I cook all sorts of ethnic foods and I do not buy white bread except when I buy a fresh loaf of French bread.
Our beer is comparable to the best beers of any country. Not Budweiser or Coors of course. But then you probably have popular flavorless beers too. Samuel Adams is one mass produced brand that I find drinkable.
And your friend either lied to you or shopped at gas stations.
Maybe you don't know real German bread and think that you have already eaten this.
Have you already eaten bread like this?
http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/rezept/0987.jp...

Level 9

Everett, WA

#114169 Jun 14, 2014
I have had sauerbraten at a German restaurant and found it rather tasty.

Hmm, perhaps I will have to make some one day. The internet is a great source of recipes.
deutscher Stolz

Vechta, Germany

#114170 Jun 14, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure the German cuisine is mainly underestimated by the Germans themselves.
It depends on the region
deutscher Stolz

Vechta, Germany

#114171 Jun 14, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
All because a bunch of OTHER Brits didn't have a great sense of humour in your opinion?
Seems rather harsh.
:-/
I admit that not every Brit and American on this site is totally dumb.
deutscher Stolz

Vechta, Germany

#114172 Jun 14, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
I have had sauerbraten at a German restaurant and found it rather tasty.
Hmm, perhaps I will have to make some one day. The internet is a great source of recipes.
What would you recommend as the best typical American food?
THE LONE WORKER

United States

#114173 Jun 14, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Our traditional Sunday dinner for the average American was and is like Kentucky Fried Chicken dinners. You should read the life story of Colonel Harland David Sanders and how he and his wife began their restaurant business, if you want to know about the real American foods.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#114174 Jun 14, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hotdogs!
(from Germany).
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#114175 Jun 14, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Riecher.
TurkanaBoy

the Earth Clod

#114176 Jun 14, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, this one:
The Hand of God

Kingston, Jamaica

#114177 Jun 14, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Booyah!!! Later then. The verse, Revelation 6:8 says what it says.
Yes, and I have also said what I have said...

So now its both my words and the words of revelation against yours...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tasteless jokes (Jan '15) 3 min andet1987 139
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 5 min andet1987 8,419
'Double Letter S' (Dec '12) 6 min andet1987 676
The Next Person Game (Mar '11) 8 min andet1987 10,215
News Cher just released a new song called Ooga Boo a... 8 min Creepy Guy in Tshirt 2
Things That Are Solid,... 11 min andet1987 20
What's for dinner? (Feb '12) 12 min Bar Fly_ok 9,317
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 16 min 8541 MARINE 25,081
What turns you on ? (Aug '11) 4 hr Bovenzi13 2,973
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 5 hr wichita-rick 221,965
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 5 hr 99 percent 5,410
Coffee with Pie! (Sep '08) 6 hr Paisley_Posey 35,397
More from around the web