Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223289 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Happy New Year

#114017 Jun 12, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
In German we have the saying "Auch ein blindes Huhn findet mal ein Korn".
I don't know how to translate it into English but it is so true.
In the US we have a several sayings that are related. The one that comes to mind at this moment is "the sun even shines on a dog's ass some days". Sometimes the dog is hungry. Sometimes not.
HAGER

Newark, NJ

#114018 Jun 12, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice one.
You have proven that you know some basic mathematical stuff.
Maybe we can continue with some Grothendieck-Topology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grothendieck_top...
That's not easy anymore but not really difficult either.
But actually I prefer physical stuff. What about gauge theories?
WIE VIELE MUTTERS?
deutscher Stolz

Osnabrück, Germany

#114020 Jun 12, 2014
replaytime wrote:
To deutscher Stolz and TurkanaBoy;
Keiner von euch sind beeindruckend. Entweder einer von euch einen gültigen Punkt oder wollen einfach nur in Deutsch Schlampe?
Sorry but could you say it again in English?
I didn't get what you want to say.
deutscher Stolz

Osnabrück, Germany

#114021 Jun 12, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Consider the fact that just because Lady GaGa and some other really dumb people grab lots of attention being highly visible in the world and all. Doesn't reflect the brains behind America, I mean the Luftwaffe and other brilliant German things are like things we see with envy because of your countries demonstrated ability. But now tell of plans on the drawing board, has the fabulous fatherland the blueprints in design to put a man on Mars?
While the Luftwaffe and your venomous Tornado's are awesome in every way.
Nothing compares to what we have, have done , and will do, partly because of of this rather long named German guy we made friends with, you may have heard of him ..
Wernher Magnus Maximilian, Freiherr von Braun.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/...
I think Lady GaGa is representative for most Americans.

Yes I know all these great accomplisments by Germans and I also know Wernher von Braun.
I know that you stole our inventions and scientists after WW2. Today you are what you are because of stolen German patents, inventions and scientists.after WW2. This gave you an incredible advance compared to the other nations.
deutscher Stolz

Osnabrück, Germany

#114022 Jun 12, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me, why are you trying so desperately to let all people hate you?
Großes Wunder denn dass es dich bislang noch nicht gelang etwas Sinnvolles darüber zu erzählen.
Von 1918 bis zum 1945 gibt es NICHTS für die Deutschen um stolz zu sein.
Es war ein abscheulicher Schau, der größte Tiefpunkt der Europäischen Geschichte.
Dein Deutsch schwächelt. Zugegeben dein Deutsch ist gut, aber diesmal habe ich nicht alles verstanden.
deutscher Stolz

Osnabrück, Germany

#114023 Jun 12, 2014
HAGER wrote:
<quoted text>WIE VIELE MUTTERS?
what ist 'Mutters'?

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#114024 Jun 12, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry but could you say it again in English?
I didn't get what you want to say.
t was supposed to say "Neither of you are impressive. Either one of you have a valid point or just want to bitch in German?"

My German is rusty. I tend to forget things that are not important.
HAGER

Newark, NJ

#114025 Jun 12, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
what ist 'Mutters'?
Frauen.
HAGER

Newark, NJ

#114026 Jun 12, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
what ist 'Mutters'?
geben Sie unsbitte mehrere Frauen, die mit Ihrer mutter beginnen und 35 Schritte zuruckgehen.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#114027 Jun 12, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I know all these great accomplisments by Germans and I also know Wernher von Braun.
I know that you stole our inventions and scientists after WW2. Today you are what you are because of stolen German patents, inventions and scientists.after WW2. This gave you an incredible advance compared to the other nations.
That is as wrong as saying Joseph Goeebels is representative for most Americans.

And no, we did not steal one single German invention.

Certain German people who had some talent left your sorry country, but I doubt if you could list one German patent "stolen" by the U.S..

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#114028 Jun 12, 2014
HAGER wrote:
<quoted text>geben Sie unsbitte mehrere Frauen, die mit Ihrer mutter beginnen und 35 Schritte zuruckgehen.
As Stolz has pointed out your question is a malformed question. In other words it is foolish.

Let's say we go back only two generations and find that due to some mild incest you have only one grandfather. By your formula going back we would count 2 grandfathers and 2 grandmothers or 4 people while in reality there were only 3 people involved.

Sooner or later you will find that some of your relatives appear more than once in your ancestry.
The Hand of God

Kingston, Jamaica

#114029 Jun 12, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Intelligence does work (better for some than others, it seems) but asking "why" is too vague to succinctly address.
By "vague", I am suggesting that you mean 'Is of a nature which I am not able to discern'.
Nevertheless, for people like myself who are concerned about the true potential of our faculties; it is a question worthy of contemplation.
ChromiuMan wrote:
Why is water "intelligent" enough to form a snowflake? Is a tree "intelligent" to reach toward sunlight? Is the Earth showing its intelligence by maintaining an orbit which can be described by complex formulas? Let's not beat around the bush. You attribute these things not to balancing natural effects, but to "intelligent" magic for which the root is a romantic belief in a bronze age codex... nothing more.
I am not saying that water is intelligent enough to form a snowflake etc, etc.
I am saying that those phenomena are the result of (an) "intelligent" influence, which I have come to identify with "Jehovah".
"Balancing natural effects" are attributed to the influence of "Jehovah".
Intelligence is "magical", so to that degree I can see with your expression "intelligent magic".
You lost me at the point of "bronze age codex".
ChromiuMan wrote:
...Jehovah aka "God" aka All Powerful is similarly a supernatural humanoid being.
The human capacity to anthropomorphize allows us to call the inanimate as if it were animate; but do you have a 99.9% certainty that this is true.
ChromiuMan wrote:
All evidence points to intelligence as being the product of a working biological brain.
All commonsense looks at the fact that the working biological brain did not create itself: and a product always bears the impressions of the source and processes which formed it.
Therefore I am justified in suggesting that something intelligent created that which is intelligent.
ChromiuMan wrote:
... Even a cockroach is capable of some level of self awareness and intelligence. Intelligent behavior is not evidenced by supplicating to mythical supernatural creatures. In this, the cockroach is more sane than others, it seems.
I agree.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#114030 Jun 12, 2014
The Hand of God wrote:
<quoted text>
By "vague", I am suggesting that you mean 'Is of a nature which I am not able to discern'.
Nevertheless, for people like myself who are concerned about the true potential of our faculties; it is a question worthy of contemplation.
<quoted text>
I am not saying that water is intelligent enough to form a snowflake etc, etc.
I am saying that those phenomena are the result of (an) "intelligent" influence, which I have come to identify with "Jehovah".
"Balancing natural effects" are attributed to the influence of "Jehovah".
Intelligence is "magical", so to that degree I can see with your expression "intelligent magic".
You lost me at the point of "bronze age codex".
<quoted text>
The human capacity to anthropomorphize allows us to call the inanimate as if it were animate; but do you have a 99.9% certainty that this is true.
<quoted text>
All commonsense looks at the fact that the working biological brain did not create itself: and a product always bears the impressions of the source and processes which formed it.
Therefore I am justified in suggesting that something intelligent created that which is intelligent.
<quoted text>
I agree.
You speak of greatly God but in my opinion the name you chose "The Hand of God" is a mockery to God. If he is all mighty as you say, then you saying you are the hand of God is an insult to his greatness.
The Hand of God

Kingston, Jamaica

#114032 Jun 12, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
You speak of greatly God but in my opinion the name you chose "The Hand of God" is a mockery to God. If he is all mighty as you say, then you saying you are the hand of God is an insult to his greatness.
Booyah!

The retreat to issues of morality.

You are now my prisoner of war!

LOL!

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#114033 Jun 12, 2014
The Hand of God wrote:
<quoted text>
Booyah!
The retreat to issues of morality.
You are now my prisoner of war!
LOL!
LOL

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#114034 Jun 12, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello WW2 was a lifetime away from now , we stay in advances because we live for advancement.
HAGER

United States

#114035 Jun 13, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
As Stolz has pointed out your question is a malformed question. In other words it is foolish.
Let's say we go back only two generations and find that due to some mild incest you have only one grandfather. By your formula going back we would count 2 grandfathers and 2 grandmothers or 4 people while in reality there were only 3 people involved.
Sooner or later you will find that some of your relatives appear more than once in your ancestry.
I understand that the men may have this appearance more than once, but the question was related to the women. Our mothers had mothers and their mothers had mothers. If we only count our mothers grandmothers and our fathers grandmothers back 35 doublings, you can see a great number of women involved. In reality, only the men could appear more than once in anyones ancestry.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#114036 Jun 13, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
Does in English 'I was a teenager' and 'I was a youth' mean the same?
Teenager specifically refers to 13 to 19. "Youth" is more generic, just someone who isn't very old.
deutscher Stolz wrote:
In German 'Ich war ein Jugendlicher' and 'Ich war eine Jugend' are not the same. The second one doesn't make sense.
Exactly that is the problem I guess. Namely that in English youth could mean both 'Jugend' and 'Jugendlicher'
It sounded okay in English.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#114037 Jun 13, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
In German we have the saying "Auch ein blindes Huhn findet mal ein Korn".
I don't know how to translate it into English but it is so true.
Have you bothered to ask why English is the international language of Law, Banking, Trade and Commerce, Insurance, Science and Technology and what have you, instead of German?
So, stop the rubbish and move on.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#114038 Jun 13, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what the Holocaust is?
The Holocaust is the killing of 6 million Jews by Nazis ordered by
Britain, France and Poland in the name of the Germans.
False. The Jews then and even now, are not blind. They knew their killers to date. Like i said, let go. Let bygones be bygones. Ok?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yes, I got back on! 4 min Suezanne 5
What are badges and what do they mean 5 min Zom XIII 4
What's one thing you appreciate in your life? (Apr '17) 6 min Suezanne 719
Caught on video 3 9 min Suezanne 330
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 15 min Bureau Of Hurt Fe... 35,335
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 35 min Concerned_American 151,009
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 59 min Alain Vain 6,101
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 3 hr HashTagME2 6,994
My confession 4 hr Zom XIII 21
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 6 hr Alain Vain 16,591