Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 218827 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

deutscher Stolz

Osnabrück, Germany

#113897 Jun 11, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Opening can of worms...
And the Holocaust? That was the fault of Great Britain and France as well?
Of course it was.
Without Great Britain, Poland and France Nazis wouldn't come to power in Germany
deutscher Stolz

Osnabrück, Germany

#113898 Jun 11, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
And lost. Twice. You should learn something from that.
We hadn't any other chance than to fought against the criminal nations that envied our growing prosperity.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#113899 Jun 11, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it was.
Wow.
deutscher Stolz wrote:
Without Great Britain, Poland and France Nazis wouldn't come to power in Germany
And who put the Nazis in power? Were the British, the Poles and the French voting in those election? Get a grip.

I'm not going to suggest that the Allied Powers where always right nor we they always fair to Germany. But the German people need to own up to their own mistakes. They made their choices and they have to live with their sins.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#113900 Jun 11, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
We hadn't any other chance than to fought against the criminal nations that envied our growing prosperity.
Yeah, yeah. "Gott mit uns" and all that stuff.
deutscher Stolz

Osnabrück, Germany

#113901 Jun 11, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.
<quoted text>
And who put the Nazis in power? Were the British, the Poles and the French voting in those election? Get a grip.
Of course Germans voted for the Nazis because they felt humiliated by France and Great (Little) Britain because of the treaty of Versaille and the occupation of the Rheinland. That are the main reasons for the vote for the Nazis and the second world war.
deutscher Stolz

Osnabrück, Germany

#113902 Jun 11, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, yeah. "Gott mit uns" and all that stuff.
Stop talking German. It is a language for decent people.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#113903 Jun 11, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that people who don't have the luck to be born as a German are angry but that is destiny.
Way to go on the whole 'Superior Race' thing there Stolz. Nazi much?

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#113904 Jun 11, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Johannes Petermann would have disagreed with you.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#113905 Jun 11, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop talking German. It is a language for decent people.
Ich werde tun, was Ich mag.

And stop talking English, it's a language for reasonable people.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#113906 Jun 11, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course Germans voted for the Nazis because they felt humiliated by France and Great (Little) Britain because of the treaty of Versaille and the occupation of the Rheinland. That are the main reasons for the vote for the Nazis and the second world war.
...and in much the same way, the indigenous Americans got what they had coming to them (near extinction) by being in our way -- on THEIR LAND -- early in America's history.

Note to ="deutscher Stolz": Look up "revisionist history".

Orlando

#113907 Jun 11, 2014
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
Way to go on the whole 'Superior Race' thing there Stolz. Nazi much?
I would be willing to bet he's got a whole closet full of brown shirts.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#113908 Jun 11, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey poly the other day I asked you if you thought there were other universe's. I believe you replied as of now there is no evidence of any(something like that so don't quote me. I'm not sure where I posted it at). Anyways I had a few questions about other universe's if they exist.
Since our universe is expanding in all directions don’t other universes’, if they exist, have to be getting further away? or
Since our universe is expanding, if there are other universes’, are they expanding as well (or shrinking) allowing for our universe expansion?
I don't expect an answer on things we don't know yet. They are just thoughts. But your thoughts would be appreciated.
I can answer based on the theories we have about multiple universes. Just keep in mind that these theories have not been tested, so ALL of this is speculative in the extreme.

The first thing to realize is that when we talk about a universe in this context, we mean the *whole thing* throughout time taken as a whole. So, all of space and time within a universe is taken to be a part of that universe. The expansion of, say, our universe simply describes what different cross-sections at different times look like. The universe as a whole consists of ALL of those time cross sections.

So, think of a trumpet. Close to the mouthpiece, the bell of the trumpet is small and it expands as we move away. yet the trumpet itself is one piece. If we think of time being the distance away from the mouthpiece, we have a one-dimensional (circular) expansion.

So this means that when you talk about the 'distance' between universes, you are comparing the distance between two trumpets. It makes some sense, but the expansion is not the relevant factor in the distances. If we think of the trumpets oriented in different directions, we can see the 'time' dimension of different universes doesn't even have to be in the same direction in the larger multi-verse. So comparing times or distances in different universes makes little sense.

One difficulty that many people have is thinking of ALL of time and space as a single unit and that time is part of the universe, not something external to it.

“All Is Possible”

Since: Jun 14

"In Nature's Beauty"

#113909 Jun 11, 2014
With all the disarray, I'm surprised you haven't been joined by the SD/PL group.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#113910 Jun 11, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can answer based on the theories we have about multiple universes. Just keep in mind that these theories have not been tested, so ALL of this is speculative in the extreme.
The first thing to realize is that when we talk about a universe in this context, we mean the *whole thing* throughout time taken as a whole. So, all of space and time within a universe is taken to be a part of that universe. The expansion of, say, our universe simply describes what different cross-sections at different times look like. The universe as a whole consists of ALL of those time cross sections.
So, think of a trumpet. Close to the mouthpiece, the bell of the trumpet is small and it expands as we move away. yet the trumpet itself is one piece. If we think of time being the distance away from the mouthpiece, we have a one-dimensional (circular) expansion.
So this means that when you talk about the 'distance' between universes, you are comparing the distance between two trumpets. It makes some sense, but the expansion is not the relevant factor in the distances. If we think of the trumpets oriented in different directions, we can see the 'time' dimension of different universes doesn't even have to be in the same direction in the larger multi-verse. So comparing times or distances in different universes makes little sense.
One difficulty that many people have is thinking of ALL of time and space as a single unit and that time is part of the universe, not something external to it.
Good morning Poly. I always love reading you. You have a talent for explaining things with a simple example. Thanks!
deutscher Stolz

Osnabrück, Germany

#113911 Jun 11, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Ich werde tun, was Ich mag.
And stop talking English, it's a language for reasonable people.
No English is a language for bad small talk and stupid Americans.
High educated people are speaking other languages like German or Japanese.
English is only my fourth best language.
Even though you think that I am narrow minded because I hate you Americans just because you are Americans I am high educated because it's normal in Germany.
So I know how to solve complicated Eigenvalue differential equations already with 18 years.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#113912 Jun 11, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though you think that I am narrow minded because I hate you Americans just because you are Americans I am high educated because it's normal in Germany.
So I know how to solve complicated Eigenvalue differential equations already with 18 years.
u

It is a real shame that your education has taught you so little.
THE LONE WORKER

Tucker, GA

#113913 Jun 11, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you tell me an answer to a question? If I count back starting with my mother and father and their mother and father and their mother and father back just 35 doublings, how many people were involved in just my family from that point of view? Some of my ancestors came from Germany, where could all of these people be buried?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#113914 Jun 11, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it was.
German speaking residents in interbellum sovereign Poland was not a reason for militaristic buildup and aggression, it was an excuse. While the Treaty of Versailles was overbearing, it was clearly not insurmountable and did not legitimize any invasions or die Endlosung der Judenfrage.
Evidenced by your pompousness and revisionist rhetoric, it's extremely likely you'd have been an enthusiastic Nazi toady boasting the false claims of an "Aryan race". That you would willingly be der fuhrer's cannon fodder would be no one's doing but your own.

I have little reason and no need to know the definition of ausfahrt. Do you need to know what salida or wyjscie means? BTW, what is this road sign?
http://dc13.com/data/10257.jpg...

Orlando

#113915 Jun 11, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said fairly early upon your arrival, you seem like a bright lad, but MUCH too arrogant, and naïve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language

Modern English, sometimes described as the first global lingua franca,[5][21] is the dominant language or in some instances even the required international language of communications, science, information technology, business, seafaring,[22] aviation,[23] entertainment, radio, and diplomacy.[24] The growing economic and cultural influence of the US and its status as a global superpower since World War II have significantly accelerated the spread of the language across the planet.[21] English replaced German as the dominant language of science-related Nobel Prize laureates during the second half of the 20th century.[26] English equalled and may have surpassed French as the dominant language of diplomacy during the second half of the 19th century.

A working knowledge of English has become a requirement in a number of fields, occupations and professions such as medicine and computing; as a consequence, more than a billion people speak English to at least a basic level (see English as a second or foreign language). It is one of six official languages of the United Nations.[27]

One impact of the growth of English is the reduction of native linguistic diversity in many parts of the world. The influence of English continues to play an important role in language attrition.[28] Conversely, the natural internal variety of English along with creoles and pidgins have the potential to produce new distinct languages from English over time.[29]

<end cut/paste>

The fact that you're conversant in English -- as a German national -- is testament enough that the mastery of the English language is essential in most civilized parts of the world.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#113916 Jun 11, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>u
It is a real shame that your education has taught you so little.
<shrug> Just another educated idiot. There lies the difference between knowledge and understanding, intelligence and wisdom, believing and thinking... I wonder if he'll get over being a bigot when he grows up or if he'll be smugly stuck on the idea that he knows everything?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Word is First Word (no "breast" word please) (Jul '15) 7 min Princess Hey 1,956
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 8 min 75 Scorpio 11,536
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 8 min This is HERSTORY 2,748
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 25 min This is HERSTORY 22,806
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 26 min SweLL GirL 15,998
True False Game (Jun '11) 29 min SweLL GirL 13,584
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 34 min SweLL GirL 6,158
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 4 hr wichita-rick 210,003
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 4 hr Grace Nerissa 68,407
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 5 hr Susanm 44
News Trump's Dark, Weird, Inaugural Campaign Speech 5 hr 16 TEEN SHOTS 76
More from around the web