Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 205563 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#113283 May 29, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, typo indeed.
Indeed I define SLoT as "the entropy of an isolated system never decreases, because isolated systems always evolve toward thermodynamic equilibrium, a state with maximum entropy." Because it is the definition used by our creationists here I want to address.
Understood. I just find it a good thing to point out that there is more than one way to state the SLoT. Some versions don't even mention entropy.:)
You may consider biowastes to be output of the biosystem cycles.
But consider this:
1) much of the biowaste is recycled (scavengers, bacteria decomposing biowaste, plants growing on biowaste form dead plants, etc.)
True. Although the heat expired is relevant to the calculation.
2) not only the sun drives the biosystem energetically, also geothermal energy
True, but the solar contribution is MUCH larger.
3) there is enormous uptake of materials going into the system (respiration, mineral uptake form plants out of the soil etc.).
Most of these are recycled also. Respiration is certainly cyclical. The minerals are also in a cycle of somewhat longer time scale.
But the fossil stratification in the geological column records give decisively evidence that the balance of the biosystem is positive: we see a gradual (though manifold interrupted) evolution of single celled organisms to ever more complex life forms.
Oh, the sun's contribution to the entropy balance is overwhelming. Just divide the solar constant by the mean temperature and you get an *enormous* entropy increase each second.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#113285 May 30, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again,
Funny I don’t see you discussing cosmology or particle physics, I don’t see you making any rational statement about christianity or Islam, I don’t see you discussing history and archaeology and I don’t see you airing your views on verbal and physical abuse.
There is probably much more that I don’t see you participating in but I really can’t be bothered
Or perhaps I am wrong and you are a brilliant debater having valid and values input on multiple threads. Please show me anything other than copy and paste from the babble that you have offered to this forum?
P.S, I won’t hold my breath
What ever!
But the big answer is that, there evidence of God.
More of your babbling!

Level 2

Location hidden

#113286 May 30, 2014
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
My intention was not to "invalidate the existence of God", rather validate the inexistence of knowledge in you.
We are all in a free world, you say what ever you like whether stupid, meaningless or foolish.

Level 2

Location hidden

#113287 May 30, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Translation: Chuck gots nothing. Chuckie wanna cracker?
And yet you are in a nation where everything is known, too bad, Asian.

Level 2

Location hidden

#113288 May 30, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually atheists have theists on IQ by about 10 points, on average.
That was not the best can of worms to open, Chuck.
You must confused for saying that. It all boils down to ones beliefs. OK?

Level 2

Location hidden

#113289 May 30, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually atheists have theists on IQ by about 10 points, on average.
That was not the best can of worms to open, Chuck.
That is not true. Go back to your research.

Level 2

Location hidden

#113290 May 30, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Duh, are you having a blond moment? Don't exit in my reality either. Don't exist at all!
I am having good time.

Level 2

Location hidden

#113291 May 30, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah there might be a flying spaghetti monster after all!
In your imagination. Wake up!

Level 2

Location hidden

#113292 May 30, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
"God is not in your imagination" does not meet the requirements of proper proof.
Was the universe man made?

Level 2

Location hidden

#113293 May 30, 2014
If truly God does not exist, how did the universe came into form?
Was it by accident?

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#113294 May 30, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> What ever!
But the big answer is that, there evidence of God.
More of your babbling!
I have repeatedly and often asked for the evidence you claim and you have repeatedly and often FAILED to provide it.

Please be so good as to put your money where your mouth is and do what more than 10,000 years of humanity has been unable to do.

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#113295 May 30, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
Was it by accident?
If truly god does exist how did the universe come to form out of NOTHING – read your babble, the claim is made in the 2nd verse of the 1st book.

There are several scientifically feasible and mathematically valid theories of how the universe was formed, and not one of them says “doh I am too fick to fink and learn so I guess god dun it wiv magic”.

This highlights one failing with the true godbot that displays the arrogance of region in its most repulsive light. Bbecause science (as yet) does not know the precise cause then the true godbot will blindly guess based on his bronze age god book and despite the complete lack of any evidence will always claim he is right.

“Wrath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#113296 May 30, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
Was it by accident?
You demand a cause , and exempt the cause from the question.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#113297 May 30, 2014
bramspan wrote:
I am not againts evolution theory. what I don't understand is that : within one species if only one single organism mutated, than there will be no new species. To create one new species there should be more than one organism that mutated at the same time. If the number of organism that mutated didn't achieve minimum number, then it won't create new species, but only varian within one species. One can say, that these variant are subspesies, and these subspecies can continue to reproduce itself by mixing with other subspecies or variant that possess the similar gene profile.
The question is how those variants can survive the evolution? If you mix one variant with other variant again you will not create new species and only end in creating another new variant. To create new species there should be major mutation within one genes. And to survive the evolution these major mutation should be applied at the same time to a number individuals organism within a species. Can anyone help me with this?
No problem.
bramspan wrote:
to survive the evolution these major mutation should be applied at the same time to a number individuals organism within a species.
This is wrong, therefore your objections to evolution fail. The simple fact that you accept variation means that evolution occurs, as life changes over time. These changes accumulate. That is why hominids of today are somewhat different to what they were 7 million years ago. Speciation in this case is inevitable.

The only way evolution would not work is if there was NO variation, and everyone ever born was a clone.

Obviously then, evolution is a fact.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#113298 May 30, 2014
Ami in Miami wrote:
I don't believe I've EVER almost read anything quite so boring in my entire life.
Bye then.

Level 2

Location hidden

#113299 May 30, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I have repeatedly and often asked for the evidence you claim and you have repeatedly and often FAILED to provide it.
Please be so good as to put your money where your mouth is and do what more than 10,000 years of humanity has been unable to do.
Show me your evidence to counter the existence of God. I am waiting.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#113300 May 30, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah...found it the other day, & thought I'd try it for a bit.
Waddaya think? New? Or Old?
When I first saw the 'new one' I thought of "Lancelot Link"

Level 2

Location hidden

#113301 May 30, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
If truly god does exist how did the universe come to form out of NOTHING – read your babble, the claim is made in the 2nd verse of the 1st book.
There are several scientifically feasible and mathematically valid theories of how the universe was formed, and not one of them says “doh I am too fick to fink and learn so I guess god dun it wiv magic”.
This highlights one failing with the true godbot that displays the arrogance of region in its most repulsive light. Bbecause science (as yet) does not know the precise cause then the true godbot will blindly guess based on his bronze age god book and despite the complete lack of any evidence will always claim he is right.
You have still not provided a valid answer to counter the existence of God. The universe came by accident, it was created.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#113302 May 30, 2014
Ami in Miami wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, very brief. You got lucky.
If baseball bores somebody shitless do you think it's a good idea for them to go into a game and shout over the megaphone "BASEBALL BORES ME SHITLESS!" ?

If not, then why do the equivalent here?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#113303 May 30, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Show me your evidence to counter the existence of God. I am waiting.
Show me your evidence to counter the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I am waiting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Answer a question with a question (Apr '15) 7 min Knock off purse s... 2,999
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 18 min Lucy the First 8,877
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 21 min fartbox 19,906
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 37 min Special Officer D... 33,394
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 39 min streetglidehoney 60,043
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 41 min Mustang GT Girl 44,714
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 57 min ImFree2Choose 35,928
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Sharlene45 197,866
2words into 2new words (May '12) 6 hr Poppyann 3,932
More from around the web