Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 205053 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

Since: Dec 06

KREUZBERG...

#113239 May 28, 2014
The idea of "irre-versibility" is central to the understanding
insane eversibility ???

In information theory, entropy is a measure of the uncertainty

disambiguation
Entropy originates from machine engineering, where in a process ...

The relationship between entropy, order, and disorder in the ...

Which do you apply for the containers?

Maybe one of the containers has a leak is it then out of order to use and does not apply to information Theory?

So is it to Globe in believe hu? In all areas all things play the same role?
Symbol s as in Y? V

Isn't this some double standard?
Gibbs free energy G is defined as G = H - TS where H, T and S are the enthalpy, temperature, and entropy. Temp? temp?

Transform?

Living next to a lake it should be more cool in the morning and moist cloudy at times for sure...

First rule/law still Theory.... transformation still has to do how other life form has managed and evolved...

How about C for condition...

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#113240 May 28, 2014
Oh and no one needs magic to use energy wisely Tinker Bell says so...

“Wrath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#113242 May 28, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is that the Second Law applies to all systems, open or closed, and to all actions and chemical reactions, from molecules to galaxies. The words "except for..." are not in this universal law.

The first flaw of thermodynamics states , what ever you think you know is wrong.
The second flaw of thermodynamics says... If you type it in here you let everybody know what you think is wrong.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#113243 May 28, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is that the Second Law applies to all systems, open or closed, and to all actions and chemical reactions, from molecules to galaxies. The words "except for..." are not in this universal law.

If I were to grade this I would have to give it an incomplete or an F. the SLoT does apply to all systems, but not in the same way. An open system could continue to function, grow, and evolve for TRILLIONS of years, given the right influx of energy.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#113244 May 28, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. When properly stated, the second law applies to everything in the universe. But you haven't stated it in a way that does so.

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#113246 May 28, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok then you tell me what Universe we are in...So nothing in Elite and Secrecy?

What a place is it? Please, can you explain it to me?

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#113247 May 28, 2014
Does so what? What does it do this Universe ...so who can speak of it better?

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#113248 May 28, 2014
Godly matter not sure what some where thinking, are you?

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#113249 May 28, 2014
I had never thought about much of any of it to be honest..Life was very interesting so far for sure...
Never used to be one to take things too far over the line what are they telling you?

Ps I wonder how often one clicks that ad on top when the page doesn't move fast enough...

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#113250 May 28, 2014
PAper pressed and o nicely folded...

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#113251 May 28, 2014
sometimes with and sometimes without doubt....

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#113253 May 29, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
{head/desk}

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#113254 May 29, 2014
FREE SERVANT wrote:
To everything there is a season. Work is to be done and then death occurs. Life is cyclical,and new generations are patterned after the former ones to a certain large degree. The wrongs of the fathers may be visited down upon the children for many generations until a correction is made somewhere. Living things receive instructions from their parent's and they carry on the work which was begun by the former generations and the cycle repeatedly produces the same pattern until a correction or improvement is made. SCPID theory explains some of this.
We still do NOT care, Mikey.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#113255 May 29, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, jolly good. Evolution remains unaffected then.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#113256 May 29, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I'm aware of that, but his posts are his responsibility and so it is up to him to correct himself and/or argue his case in a coherent manner when we point out flaws that are not addressed by his pastes.
My guess is that he will shirk that responsibility.
Just as he always does.(shrug)
"Responsibility?" He can't argue "his" case or correct "himself". He doesn't even give recognition to his sources.
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#113257 May 29, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Non it doesn't.
We have open systems (systems that exchange energy and matter from outside systems).
We have closed systems (systems that exchange energy but no matter with outside systems).
We have isolated systems (systems that neither do exchange energy or matter with touside systems)

The 2nd law of thermodynamics does not apply to isolated systems.
The earth is NOT an isolated system.
Because it receives energy AND matter from outside systems.
The biosphere is NOT an isolated system. It receives energy and matter from the sun and from thermal heat.

Life is not going into "entropy". The fossil record demonstrates a gradual evolution from single celled organisms to ever complex life forms, as OBSERVED in the geological column.

PERIOD.

Science is not for you. go back sticking your head in the bronze age mythology book if you wish but stay OFF science.

Since: May 14

Palembang, Indonesia

#113258 May 29, 2014
I am not againts evolution theory. what I don't understand is that : within one species if only one single organism mutated, than there will be no new species. To create one new species there should be more than one organism that mutated at the same time. If the number of organism that mutated didn't achieve minimum number, then it won't create new species, but only varian within one species. One can say, that these variant are subspesies, and these subspecies can continue to reproduce itself by mixing with other subspecies or variant that possess the similar gene profile.
The question is how those variants can survive the evolution? If you mix one variant with other variant again you will not create new species and only end in creating another new variant. To create new species there should be major mutation within one genes. And to survive the evolution these major mutation should be applied at the same time to a number individuals organism within a species. Can anyone help me with this?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#113259 May 29, 2014
bramspan wrote:
I am not againts evolution theory. what I don't understand is that : within one species if only one single organism mutated, than there will be no new species. To create one new species there should be more than one organism that mutated at the same time. If the number of organism that mutated didn't achieve minimum number, then it won't create new species, but only varian within one species. One can say, that these variant are subspesies, and these subspecies can continue to reproduce itself by mixing with other subspecies or variant that possess the similar gene profile.
The question is how those variants can survive the evolution? If you mix one variant with other variant again you will not create new species and only end in creating another new variant. To create new species there should be major mutation within one genes. And to survive the evolution these major mutation should be applied at the same time to a number individuals organism within a species. Can anyone help me with this?
You are correct in that if there was a drastic mutation that prevented reproduction there could be no new species. However, that's not the way evolution works. The effects of beneficial mutations are very, very small. They would not interfere with reproduction and the mutation would be passed on the the descendant.

You seem to be stuck in the Crocoduck mode where there would be a sudden leap from one species into another. You would only be able to notice the change over thousands to millions of years.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#113260 May 29, 2014
bramspan wrote:
You have the basics correct. I'll leave it to those more eloquent on the subject to flesh out the details, but to offer an answer to one question: "... how those variants can survive the evolution?" -- if the organism with the mutation in question is able to reproduce, then that mutation can be passed on to its offspring.

For example: I am the only person in my family (3 generations running) born with blonde (almost white) hair. My parents had dark brown and red hair. So the gene responsible for my 'mutation' of blonde hair was recessive -- lurking in the background of the DNA of my ancestors. But apparently, I won the DNA lottery, in that I inherited a pair of recessive genes (1 set from Dad, 1 set from Mom) responsible for blonde hair. If I were to hook up with a female with similar DNA, our children would have a better chance of coming out blonde as well.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#113261 May 29, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Non it doesn't.
We have open systems (systems that exchange energy and matter from outside systems).
We have closed systems (systems that exchange energy but no matter with outside systems).
We have isolated systems (systems that neither do exchange energy or matter with touside systems)
The 2nd law of thermodynamics does not apply to isolated systems.
My guess is that you wanted to say that SLoT *only* applies to isolated systems.

The problem with this statement is that it very much depends on exactly how you describe the SLoT. If you merely want it to say that entropy always increases, then it will only apply to isolated systems.

But, of course, there are other statements that can take into account whether the system is open or closed. So, for example, with a closed system, the second law will say that the entropy change of a system is larger than the amount of energy going out divided by the temperature, or equivalently, that dH-TdS<=0.

If you have an open system, more terms are required to get a correct statement of the second law. In all cases, the correct statement is found by considering a larger, isolated system and seeing how the part outside of the target system changes entropy.
The earth is NOT an isolated system.
Because it receives energy AND matter from outside systems.
The biosphere is NOT an isolated system. It receives energy and matter from the sun and from thermal heat.
Life is not going into "entropy". The fossil record demonstrates a gradual evolution from single celled organisms to ever complex life forms, as OBSERVED in the geological column.
PERIOD.
Science is not for you. go back sticking your head in the bronze age mythology book if you wish but stay OFF science.
On the other hand, we *can* consider the Gibb's free energy of the biosystem and contributions from matter going in and out of the system. Of course, the energy contribution of the sun coming into the biosphere vastly outweighs any minor entropy reduction caused by increasing complexity of the organisms in the biosphere. Whether you consider biowastes to be part of the biosystem or not is another matter, but they also contribute a *huge* amount to the entropy scorecard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Could Be Hot? (May '15) 1 min Brandiiiiiiii 795
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 min Sparky 197,621
True False Game (Jun '11) 2 min Brandiiiiiiii 12,656
Word Association (Mar '10) 3 min Calisportsgirl 21,108
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 5 min Brandiiiiiiii 82,530
News Couple claims dog murdered over Clinton sign 8 min AmericanPagan 41
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 10 min metal militia 33,255
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 27 min Calisportsgirl 19,827
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr Deer Whisperer 59,848
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 1 hr A TROLL NAMED SLACK 8,858
More from around the web