Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 168950 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#112691 May 9, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> A simple answer, you don't know.
Wrong. We do know. You don't.
Charles Idemi wrote:
EVOLUTION WITHOUT CREATION IS ZERO.
Wrong. Evolution without life is zero. But since we have life we have zero. Therefore if you wish to falsify evolution you have to prove there's zero life on Earth. Good luck.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#112692 May 9, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
NOT guessing but backed up by evidence.
YOU are ignorant so YOU do not know.
WE do.
By admission of science.
Word of warning, Chuck makes SevenTee look like a frakking genius.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#112693 May 9, 2014
SevenTee.

It's his IQ, isn't it?
Obamacare KILLED my Mom

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#112694 May 9, 2014
Sad Enlightenment wrote:
Why does it have to be either or? Is it not possible that there is another way life came to be that has nothing to do with either theory? We don't know what we don't know. So why all this debate about two theories that could both be incorrect? What a colossal waste of time!
The main issue is what is taught in school in a SCIENCE CLASS.
Creationism is not a scientific discipline so on that basis alone has no place in a science class.
Evolution is a scientific principal that has been proven millions of ways, it is a principal that definately belongs in a science class.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#112696 May 9, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Never said evolution is evil. I said it it impossible to prove scientifically and it useless fodder for heathens to try to debunk Christianity.
You do not seem to be able to see it is what it is.
Really? Tell that to the evangelical Christians at Baylor University, the "largest Baptist University in the world," where the students go on mission trips, etc.

This is from the Biology Department at Baylor:
http://www.baylor.edu/biology/index.php...

Statement on Evolution
"Evolution, a foundational principle of modern biology, is supported by overwhelming scientific evidence and is accepted by the vast majority of scientists. Because it is fundamental to the understanding of modern biology, the faculty in the Biology Department at Baylor University, Waco, TX, teach evolution throughout the biology curriculum. We are in accordance with the American Association for Advancement of Science's statement on evolution. We are a science department, so we do not teach alternative hypotheses or philosophically deduced theories that cannot be tested rigorously."

Also, here from the Baylor Geology Department:
http://www.baylor.edu/geology/index.php...

Quote:

"Question: Does the fossil record support the idea of biological change over time (biological evolution)?

Yes. The fossil record clearly indicates...

a progression in complexity of organisms from very simple fossil forms in the oldest rocks (>3.5 billion years old) to a broad spectrum from simple to complex forms in younger rocks,

that some organisms that were once common are now extinct, and

that the living organisms inhabiting our world today are similar (but generally not the same) as organisms represented as fossils in young sedimentary deposits, which in turn have evolutionary ancestors represented as fossils in yet older rocks.

Mammals, for example, are prevalent today and can be traced back in the fossil record for approximately 200 million years, but are not present as mammals in the fossil record before that; however, fossil forms that have reasonably been interpreted to be associated with the evolutionary precursors to mammals are found in older rocks.

Whether biological evolution occurs has not been a matter of scientific debate for more than a century. It is considered a proven fact."

End quote
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#112697 May 9, 2014
Note the conclusion from these Baptist Christians and qualified science educators:

"Whether biological evolution occurs has not been a matter of scientific debate for more than a century. It is considered a proven fact."

“Rising”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#112698 May 9, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
You just had to bring that up again, didn't you Dogen?
It's the charlie Rubik cube.

“Rising”

Level 8

Milky Way

#112699 May 9, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Never said evolution is evil. I said it it impossible to prove scientifically and it useless fodder for heathens to try to debunk Christianity.
N/M it because it does in fact show what you are.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#112700 May 9, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like you're still long on falsehoods but miserably short on data.
Speaking of falsehoods, how are those Noah verses coming along, 70? You know - the biblical verses you say exist where he was mocked and the neighbor kids were invited aboard? The ones you said you've already provided will do fine - I seem to have missed them the first time around. I don't know how....

“A Time for laughter and ...”

Level 3

Since: Apr 13

A Time to be candid.

#112701 May 9, 2014
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Tell that to the evangelical Christians at Baylor University, the "largest Baptist University in the world," where the students go on mission trips, etc.
This is from the Biology Department at Baylor:
http://www.baylor.edu/biology/index.php...
Statement on Evolution
"Evolution, a foundational principle of modern biology, is supported by overwhelming scientific evidence and is accepted by the vast majority of scientists. Because it is fundamental to the understanding of modern biology, the faculty in the Biology Department at Baylor University, Waco, TX, teach evolution throughout the biology curriculum. We are in accordance with the American Association for Advancement of Science's statement on evolution. We are a science department, so we do not teach alternative hypotheses or philosophically deduced theories that cannot be tested rigorously."
Also, here from the Baylor Geology Department:
http://www.baylor.edu/geology/index.php...
Quote:
"Question: Does the fossil record support the idea of biological change over time (biological evolution)?
Yes. The fossil record clearly indicates...
a progression in complexity of organisms from very simple fossil forms in the oldest rocks (>3.5 billion years old) to a broad spectrum from simple to complex forms in younger rocks,
that some organisms that were once common are now extinct, and
that the living organisms inhabiting our world today are similar (but generally not the same) as organisms represented as fossils in young sedimentary deposits, which in turn have evolutionary ancestors represented as fossils in yet older rocks.
Mammals, for example, are prevalent today and can be traced back in the fossil record for approximately 200 million years, but are not present as mammals in the fossil record before that; however, fossil forms that have reasonably been interpreted to be associated with the evolutionary precursors to mammals are found in older rocks.
Whether biological evolution occurs has not been a matter of scientific debate for more than a century. It is considered a proven fact."
End quote
Wow, that's interesting. I'd like to know what the rest of the Christians think of this .. that ^^^.

“Groooovin'”

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#112702 May 9, 2014
Appears lately,THAT Mother Nature is SHAKING DOWN the Earth..getting READY for the NEXT Evolution CRAZE!!

How Else CAN ya explain the RADICAL behavior??

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#112703 May 9, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to wiki "evidence of common descent".
The scientists don't seem to agree with you.
I am a sociobiologist myself.
TELL me, WHAT should I have missed in 35 years of professional literature and journals?
I can tell you that evolution is no issue at all within science.
And with good reason.

Hence, basically you are deceiving.
Deceiving because you have a PC and internet and access to the scientific sources.
So you are ignorant but ignorance is no excuse.

the Earth Clod

#112704 May 9, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Word of warning, Chuck makes SevenTee look like a frakking genius.
As you are used to end some of your posts: "shrug".
I shall ask him for empirical evidence until he gets nauseous of it and after some moron posts he will run "cluck, cluck" away like a chicken.

If he persists, we always have him letting doing his dodging dances to reveal openly for all other people to behold. Creationists are always doing our job in making them look like ignorant tattlers.

A very comfortable position - I can't help.

“Rising”

Level 8

Milky Way

#112705 May 9, 2014
Petal Power wrote:
Appears lately,THAT Mother Nature is SHAKING DOWN the Earth..getting READY for the NEXT Evolution CRAZE!!
How Else CAN ya explain the RADICAL behavior??
Mother nature got pregnant.:)

/|vvvv|\

Level 2

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#112706 May 10, 2014
Americans not confident Big Bang or evolution is real, poll shows

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/americans-big-ban...

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#112708 May 10, 2014
CM wrote:
<quoted text>Looks like you're still long on falsehoods but miserably short on data.
Speaking of falsehoods, how are those Noah verses coming along, 70? You know - the biblical verses you say exist where he was mocked and the neighbor kids were invited aboard? The ones you said you've already provided will do fine - I seem to have missed them the first time around. I don't know how....
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate your trolling
I would appreciate honesty and integrity. Get some.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#112709 May 10, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Quick and sincere question 70,

On Noah - If God were serious on completely wiping the slate and starting over, why did he choose water and not, say, fire? Water spares all ocean-based life. Was God OK with fish, but not with bunnies?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#112711 May 10, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Who knows the answer to that?
The Bible refers to a cross breeding hybrid human that was an abomination.
Perhaps God was taking care of the Giant
Seems that he could have just struck down all of the giants with a genetically tailored virus and spared the bunnies and sparrows, but then I'm not religious so I don't do His thinking for Him.

the Earth Clod

#112712 May 10, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Who knows the answer to that?
The Bible refers to a cross breeding hybrid human that was an abomination.
Perhaps God was taking care of the Giant
Creationist's science at its best: just ONE "why" question and what we got:

"Who knows".
"Perhaps".
"Giants".
"Cross breeding hybrid human that was an abomination".

Giants, my poor teeny-weeny, only feature in fairy tales, you know, those stories told to children before they go asleep. Did mom or dad forget to tell you that?

Always fun to stir up the simmering fire a bit and look what we get next to laugh about: what hybrid human? With other animal did he interbreed?

Can't wait, wasting away!

the Earth Clod

#112713 May 10, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Look how the creationists deal with questions they can't and won't answer.
Let's have a look at the other post you produced:

"Hybrid human".
"Giants".

Also in the bible:
- unicorns
- talking snake
- talking donkey
- Abaddon, a creature described as the king of a group of locust-like creatures with the faces of men, the hair of women, tails of scorpions, teeth of lions, wings that sound like the thunder of horses' hooves charging into battle and huge claws (ouch, a nasty one)
- Behemoth, another weird one who seems to hold his strength in the navel of his belly (do we have navels on other places then?), with a tail, who shallows complete rivers. Yeah!
- the Cherubim are really extravaganza. It is hard to describe: four heads (angel, man, lion, hawk), ox feet, wings etc. You even will not get those after the most severe bad LSD trip!
- then we have golim, a creature made entirely from inanimate matter and controlled by an eye in its forehead. The controller uses a globe, mirror, or bowl of water to control it. wow! Reminds me of some monster games.
- and than we have Ziz, an enormous Griffin-like bird creature that stood the earth but its head touching the sky. God-zilla!

What did you say again?
"I appreciate your trolling"
RIGHT.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 5 min eleanorigby 41,412
Which one would you rather not listen too? 5 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1
Child Sex Offenders 14 min Wolftracks 31
The Gettsburg Address 16 min TALLYHO 8541 44
motorcycle traveling stories 24 min An observation 1,247
Play "end of the name"... 29 min Cyan in CA 162
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 29 min Cyan in CA 2,258
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 6 hr wichita-rick 165,421
News California couple married 75 years dies in each... 6 hr wichita-rick 4
More from around the web