Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 199384 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#112108 Apr 25, 2014
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
OK Nick, that's good. But a 37 year-old psychologist would have the common sense to at least change his location. But congrats on the spelling of psychologist this time. You're getting better.
"psycologist."

You mean his improved >attempt< at spelling psychologist, don't you?
It's a good thing that he isn't a chrysanthemum horticulturalist.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#112109 Apr 25, 2014
NOISY TOILET wrote:
<quoted text> Hokey Dokey. What do you think of NDEs (Near Death Experiences)?? Tell me, WHY do so many people who have had an NDE say they are not atheists any more (if they were previously) and that the NDE has had a PROFOUND EFFECT on their lives?? Why don't they just pass it off as just an hallucination, or a good/bad dream?? Why is that?? By The Way, your "Devil" photo made me laugh (hee-hee).
Speaking of NDEs:
http://news.discovery.com/history/religion/he...

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#112110 Apr 25, 2014
NOISY TOILET wrote:
<quoted text> Hokey Dokey. What do you think of NDEs (Near Death Experiences)?? Tell me, WHY do so many people who have had an NDE say they are not atheists any more (if they were previously) and that the NDE has had a PROFOUND EFFECT on their lives?? Why don't they just pass it off as just an hallucination, or a good/bad dream?? Why is that?? By The Way, your "Devil" photo made me laugh (hee-hee).
I have been having an NDE since birth. You are right, it has had a profound effect on me.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#112111 Apr 25, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is just simply false. The evidence we have shows that species change over time. This is indisputable given that the species from 1 million years ago are different than those today, and are different than those from 10 million years ago, etc. And the fact that species change over time *is* evolution. The data for this is solid.
<quoted text>
This is a misunderstanding of what evolutionary biology actually says. There is no 'upward' versus 'downward'. There *is* change and adaptation to changing environments leading to new species.
<quoted text>
And that is NOT what the evidence actually shows.
<quoted text>
Wrong. Entropy increases in closed systems. It may well increase in open systems. Also, entropy is only very loosely connected with 'order' or deterioration.
<quoted text>
I think you are also wrong here. There is more information about the corruption now than there was before, but that is because technology allows for the collection of that information. Politics has *always* been corrupt and based on selfishness. if you go back to the Roman empire, you see selfishness, corruption and wickedness. It is a constant of human society. Some places and times do a bit better; some do a bit worse. We are probably better in many ways that what existed 500 years ago.
Simply put, entropy doesn't increase without changing a variable such as the amount of thermal energy in the system. On every generality he's just yakbacking what he's heard from other creationists who are as ignorant of their talking points as he is.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#112112 Apr 25, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
"psycologist."
You mean his improved >attempt< at spelling psychologist, don't you?
It's a good thing that he isn't a chrysanthemum horticulturalist.
*hanging head in shame*

lol - oops, didn't catch that.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#112114 Apr 25, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is just simply false. The evidence we have shows that species change over time. This is indisputable given that the species from 1 million years ago are different than those today, and are different than those from 10 million years ago, etc. And the fact that species change over time *is* evolution. The data for this is solid.
<quoted text>

<quoted text>
You have no solid "data"
Your dating system is fundamentally flawed.
It is not reproducible and relies on layers of assumptions, none of which are provable.
There is no scientific proof that any life form has been in the earth for more than about 6,000 years.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#112115 Apr 25, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no solid "data"
It is not reproducible and relies on layers of assumptions, none of which are provable.
There is no scientific proof that any life form has been in the earth for more than about 6,000 years.
You in fact are stupid.. not ordinary stupid.
You are in fact stupid beyond belief.

The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#112116 Apr 25, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure thing DUDE
Where is this 4 million year old fossil?
What you are saying is in direct contradiction to the Smithsonian Institute so if you don't mind I will take them over you DUDE
By all means.(shrug)

http://humanorigins.si.edu/
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#112118 Apr 25, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You in fact are stupid.. not ordinary stupid.
You are in fact stupid beyond belief.
BEYOND belief.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#112119 Apr 25, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no solid "data"
I guess that 99.9+% of paleontologists, biologists, archaeologists, etc. can't always be right, eh HTS? Good thing that there's that overwhelming >.001% of Discovery Institute world class "scientists" to back up your statements in cases like this.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#112120 Apr 25, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure thing DUDE
What you are saying is in direct contradiction to the Smithsonian Institute so if you don't mind I will take them over you DUDE
http://paleobiology.si.edu/geotime/main/htmlv...

Oops.. overshot the mark by 2.006 billion years. Lessee... if my math is right, that would be only be about 55 Yahweh centuries, wouldn't it?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#112121 Apr 25, 2014
MrBob jones wrote:
<quoted text>
im not some stupid puberty induced kid im a 37 year old psycologist and im sorry if punctuation wasnt my strongest subject.

Nor spelling.

Can't spell your own profession?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#112122 Apr 25, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure thing DUDE

They have some older than that AT THE SMITHSONIAN.

Been there. Seen them.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#112123 Apr 25, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no solid "data"

Incorrect again. You are consistent, albeit consistently foolish.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#112124 Apr 25, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess that 99.9+% of paleontologists, biologists, archaeologists, etc. can't always be right, eh HTS? Good thing that there's that overwhelming >.001% of Discovery Institute world class "scientists" to back up your statements in cases like this.
You cannot logically defend your beliefs. Your vain appeals to authority only prove that you are a mindless sheep, blindly believe whatever is in vogue.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#112125 Apr 25, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no solid "data"

Bwhahahahahaha.

Stupid fundy.
NOISY TOILET

Tauranga, New Zealand

#112126 Apr 25, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing that you're halfway right about is "Creation says......that everything is DETERIORATING - going in a DOWNWARD path." and that others are entitled to their opinions. The rest is garbage rhetoric.
OK ChromiuMan. That's cool with me. You have a great day.
NOISY TOILET

Tauranga, New Zealand

#112127 Apr 25, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, no. Alchemy still remains, and likely will still remain in the future, utter claptrap.
That's one thing Newton looked into which turned out to be a waste of time.
Then maybe scientists should reinvestigate alchemy. You'll never know what they may find.
NOISY TOILET

Tauranga, New Zealand

#112128 Apr 25, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually in order to come up with concepts such as wickedness, immorality, corruption, selfishness, you need to have a functioning brain which requires a local DECREASE in entropy. When the brain suffers an increase in entropy it loses function and will no longer be able to perform those concepts you speak of.
And after THOUSANDS of years you still haven't managed to come up with anything even close to resembling a scientific hypothesis for creationism, much less a fully-fledged scientific theory.
In short you should stop confusing your baseless religious opinions with being somehow relevant to science in any way shape or form.
Entropy is DETRIMENTAL to the universe and the human race. Entropy means an INCREASE in DISORGANIZATION. Things turn to shit, in other words. How can entropy possibly be GOOD for anything or anyone?? Also, regarding your negation of Creationism as a plausible theory, that negation to me, is just fucking FLAPDOODLE. Now go back to reading your Penthouse magazine. Jeez.
NOISY TOILET

Tauranga, New Zealand

#112129 Apr 25, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Creating rudimentary life in a lab would have little effect on the flocks. People seem to have an innate need for the crutch of myth, mysticism and magic and most don't have any idea what chemistry, biology and physics "do" or even are. Heck, it's the 21st century and there are still a million churches on the planet - and that doesn't count mosques, temples, shrines, et al...
Fine for you, but do you enjoy embarrassing company when they use your lavatory?
Come on - isn't sloth a sin? It can be done in 15 minutes and all you need is a large pair of pliers.
If you have heard of the saying "A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing", then I think that it's best that humans don't know TOO much, otherwise they can think they are so smart and clever that they think they can discard with the notion that someone out there in the universe is cleverer than they are i.e. GOD. AND.....IF we are as smart and clever as we THINK we are, why is the world getting WORSE?? You would think we've learnt our lesson on the things we have done WRONG and that we would have RIGHTED those WRONGS by now. BUT NO!! Planet Earth and everyone living on it, is going to the dogs. As for the toilet thing, we'll get round to it (whenever!!).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 5 min Sharlene45 192,887
News Horseback Rider Brings Traffic to Near Halt on ... 6 min Holy Guacamole 2
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 7 min andet1987 31,583
Post any FOUR words 16 min andet1987 938
2words into 2new words (May '12) 19 min andet1987 2,273
one word (Apr '11) 22 min andet1987 7,110
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 27 min wichita-rick 18,041
News new Are Disney Princesses hurting your kid's se... 41 min Spotted Girl 20
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 2 hr Post Examiner 7,255
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 8 hr Parden Pard 56,843