Evolution vs. Creation

There are 163815 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

thulium

Perris, CA

#111831 Apr 21, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>What if I am not being obscure?
Then you are wrong

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#111832 Apr 22, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>Do you even know what a miracle from God is? Creation itself was a miracle from the power of God. Why would a Christian deny that our Creator has this kind of great power, unless they are afraid for their livelyhoods or something?
The point is, there are scientists who believe that the original Creation was the work of God. They cannot prove it, but then nobody can prove its wrong either.

However, none of those scientists who believe in God believe in Genesis' literal truth. What you guys often miss is that these are two very different things. Believing in the Bible (or the Quran, or the Book of Mormon, etc), is believing in a book, not in God.

Its laughable that you put a BOOK written by MEN above the evidence of the UNIVERSE. Men can fake books but they cannot fake the universe. If God created the universe, then His universe tells us all about it. Not some bunch of myths written 2000+ years ago by goatherds.

So far, the universe is telling us it was created about 13.6 billion years ago, the earth about 4.6 billion years ago, and lif has been evolving on earth for at least the last 3 billion years.

Genesis is a fable.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#111833 Apr 22, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure there are a lot of discrepancies in the bible stories that contradict science. The problem with science is that the evidence from what we observe now is used to explain the Earth's past. You think the earth took a longer time to evolve (for example taking millions of years for a mountain to form) and yet scientists explain the beginning of the universe from a Big Bang which is supposed to be some violent explosion. If that theory is true then at the beginning was a violent event that spawned galaxies and everything in it. What makes you think that the evolution process of the present day is consistent with the past? If it is, the planets in our solar system would be highly unstable because it's so enormous that it takes a much more stronger force for it to form before it gets stable that they are now. Imagine a moon forming inch by inch in millions of years? Have scientists thought about what conditions it would have caused?
The events at times may have been sudden and catastrophic, but the underlying laws that science looks for and has had great success in finding, do not. In the same way, the explosion of dynamite and the slow rusting of an iron bar are following exactly the SAME physical laws, even though they superficially look like very different things.

The triumph of science has been exactly that - to see multitude of separate phenomena in our world and being able to, painstakingly and over centuries, explain them through an elegant series of underlying laws. Who would guess that the same force makes an apple fall from the tree, and the Moon orbit the Earth?

How do we know that in the past, those laws were the same? That is an interesting question but its largely answered at least back to just after the Big Bang. When we look at distant stars, we see light from millions or billions of years ago, and its telling us in many ways that the same laws were applying then. When we dig deep into the earth, we see chemical and physical phenomena formed then that can be explained by the same laws operating today.

PS You pass of "discrepancies" like they are nothing, but to science they are everything! The smallest discrepancies in what we observe versus existing scientific theories have created whole revolutions in scientific thought and understanding. At the core of science is the art of observation raised to the nth power. In science, no discrepancies may pass unchallenged.
MrBob Jones

Red Deer, Canada

#111834 Apr 22, 2014
Why is every one so arrogant on her after reading some posts on here ive realised that the only thing this site is is a bunch of evolutionist getting angry at creationists and repeating the exact same "scientific" claim over and over then getting mad when the creationists come back at you and the creationists are just trying to say what they believe im not trying to hate on either side but seriously you guys if you want to make a difference go teach or become a sunday school teacher dont go sit on your asses typing angry comments to eacother

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#111835 Apr 22, 2014
MrBob Jones wrote:
Why is every one so arrogant on her after reading some posts on here ive realised that the only thing this site is is a bunch of evolutionist getting angry at creationists and repeating the exact same "scientific" claim over and over then getting mad when the creationists come back at you and the creationists are just trying to say what they believe im not trying to hate on either side but seriously you guys if you want to make a difference go teach or become a sunday school teacher dont go sit on your asses typing angry comments to eacother
Punctuation, please?

<posting this response as a 'teacher'.>
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#111836 Apr 22, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible is understandable to those of us who knows it is about the kingdom of God and his power.
Which is why even Christians can't even agree over the correct interpretation. Not that it should NEED to be interpreted since the thing's already been interpreted into English so we CAN all understand it.

But hey, if you happen to be the one guy in all the world who knows the one PROPER translation, then why not get to work and write the darn thing so that no-one else gets confused? Because until then I will continue to refer to it as BS because of all the Flat Earth quotes.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#111837 Apr 22, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew when fishing for a fool the Dude would hit the hook,.ha.ha.ha.
Uh, Bo, apparently you've misunderstood the *point* of Creation "museums"...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#111838 Apr 22, 2014
MrBob Jones wrote:
Uhuh, it's NEVER the creationists fault.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#111839 Apr 22, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>This implies you know the truth. You will pardon me for doubting very much that you know more than the rest of us.
That's because Thulium DOESN'T know anything more than the rest of us. Same with everyone else on the entire planet.

There really COULD be an invisible wizard or bunch of wizards that made the universe. Problem with that idea is no-one can tell. That's why anyone who claims to know "TEH TRUTH" is talking out of their back passage.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#111840 Apr 22, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
Your ego is so huge you can't even lift your own self up to the heavens. Take a load off so gravity doesn't take over you. You speak highly of yourself and think you know better when it was Newton, a believer, who was among those who learned the truth and discovered facts about science.
Except he didn't discover it, did he? Sure, he came up with the theory of gravity, but no theory of magical god-poofing by invisible Jewish wizards. And then he tried to explore alchemy. His scientific work declined when he got busy with pseudo-science and apologetics.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#111841 Apr 22, 2014
thulium wrote:
Uh, planets are round and much much larger in structure and guess what they float. I guess there is no mystery in that either. So what created gravity?
Ask Newton.(big grin)
thulium wrote:
Sure there are a lot of discrepancies in the bible stories that contradict science.
Good, then we agree that the Bible is scientifically inaccurate.
thulium wrote:
What makes you think that the evolution process of the present day is consistent with the past? If it is, the planets in our solar system would be highly unstable because it's so enormous that it takes a much more stronger force for it to form before it gets stable that they are now. Imagine a moon forming inch by inch in millions of years? Have scientists thought about what conditions it would have caused?
Okay, that has to be some of the largest anti-kitten propaganda I've read in quite a while. And I've been reading Jimbo.

Evolution - biology. Planet formation - cosmology.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#111842 Apr 22, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>There are seven land masses that may have broken apart and caused the water to cover the earth when they moved. The number seven was mentioned in the Genesis account also regarding the birds that were used to reseed the earth.
That's a good recipe to turn those birds of yours into burnt roast turkies.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#111844 Apr 22, 2014
thulium wrote:
According to the theory of evolution, rocks formed in a
No.

That's not what it says.

At all.
thulium wrote:
Don't school me on elementary science, because you still don't understand.
Somebody needs to.
thulium wrote:
It doesn't make sense to me.
Zigzactly.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#111845 Apr 22, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I'm just this bored to even try to recreate this in my imagination. I'm no scientist so it's not my job to educate anyone. But I pick and choose what theories work for me and what doesn't.
Precisely your problem. Creationists think they can pick and choose reality.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#111846 Apr 22, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>That's a good recipe to turn those birds of yours into burnt roast turkies.
Just like today's birds, I think that flew over his head.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#111847 Apr 22, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't mind me poly, I just have super active imagination that I can't help but think of possible variables that could have taken place in the distant past such as a cosmic storm or alien colonization. And oh, I have been discussing cosmic evolution, not Darwinian theory. Anyways, I do give credit when it's due. Most scientific theories we have today are brilliant. You get my vote on teaching them in schools. We are in the information age so that's a great feat! But, anything about God should be a personal thing so stop attacking those who choose to have faith. Science and religion works differently in the brain, both can be beneficial in a given situation.
I know a number of scientists that believe in a God. I have absolutely no problem with that. What I *do* have a problem with is letting your dogma come between you and the truth. Those scientists that believe in a God also do not believe in the literal truth of Genesis or that the Earth is only a few thousand years old. They accept the scientific evidence that the bible is wrong on many scientific point. Most of them make the point that scientific truth is not the point that God is attempting to convey in the Bible (or Koran, for that matter).

On the other hand, I very much do have a problem with someone calling themselves a scientist and then denying the evidence that science has collected over the past centuries. I have a problem with those people who take their case to an uneducated public and want the debate to happen in the elementary schools rather than among those familiar with the evidence. I do have a problem when scientific conclusions have to pass a political or religious test before they are accepted instead of the scientific tests of observability, repeatability, accurate prediction, and potential falsification.

Creationists have no science to back them up, so they turn to politics to enforce their dogma. And yes, I do have a problem with that.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#111848 Apr 22, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't mind me poly, I just have super active imagination that I can't help but think of possible variables that could have taken place in the distant past such as a cosmic storm or alien colonization. And oh, I have been discussing cosmic evolution, not Darwinian theory. Anyways, I do give credit when it's due. Most scientific theories we have today are brilliant. You get my vote on teaching them in schools. We are in the information age so that's a great feat! But, anything about God should be a personal thing so stop attacking those who choose to have faith. Science and religion works differently in the brain, both can be beneficial in a given situation.
So creationists want creationism to be taken seriously in a scientific context and be taught in public school science classes, but they don't want creationism to be subject to critical scrutiny.

That's one hell of a serious disconnect you fundies have there bub.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#111849 Apr 22, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>There you go presuming wrong again! I DON'T USE DRUGS!
Sorry Mikey, but I have to remind ya - you DO know we're skeptics at heart, yes?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#111850 Apr 22, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No, evolution says nothing about rocks forming (geology) nor the evolution of our solar system (astrophysics).
<quoted text>
Not surprising considering your posts so far.
Agreed.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111851 Apr 22, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like today's birds, I think that flew over his head.
Speaking of birds flying overhead... I almost hit a flippin' Pelican this morning!! It's wing tip literally brushed against my windshield... That sure gets the heart pumping

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A head scratcher: 9 brains found next to train ... 8 min RingoStarr 8
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 19 min _FLATLINE-------- 3,491
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 20 min _FLATLINE-------- 79,134
In honor of ms Sweeter (Jul '14) 23 min Wolftracks 173
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 25 min _FLATLINE-------- 8,074
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 26 min RCAF 40,683
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 28 min _FLATLINE-------- 8,382
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 46 min Poop 162,835
*Sad music/sad themes Thread* 2 hr Wolftracks 175
Poll Middle East Solutions 3 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 26