Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#111765 Apr 21, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, planets are round and much much larger in structure and guess what they float. I guess there is no mystery in that either. So what created gravity?
Good grief. Y'all religies react to education and reason the way a vampire reacts to garlic and silver mirrors.
Planets do not "float." They have structure but are not structures. They are spherical because of gravity, not because they are not pyramids, mounds or cones.
News flash - they are round, but they are not discs as "the Bible tells us."
What you are really asking is couched in your definition of "created." God did it with magic, of course. 0.o
THE LONE WORKER

Bowling Green, KY

#111766 Apr 21, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Bible tells us" that all the Earth under the entire heavens was flooded to a depth of 15 cubits over the highest mountains. This is generally calculated to have happened around 4500 years ago - yet it is disputed at every turn, Genetics, archaeology, geology, biology, zoology, oceanography, climatology, meteorology,... every single discipline of study outside of "the Bible says" irrefutably indicates that the Noachian flood is a big fat lie. "The Bible tells us" that just a couple of generations after all but 2 of each "type" of animal and 8 humans were eradicated from the face of the planet there was a human workforce available and capable of building the Tower of Babel. "The Bible says" does not mention Central America. "The Bible says" doesn't mention China. "The Bible says" doesn't actually mention anywhere that there weren't any Semitic tribes, or anything that wasn't in their region, does it? What kind of All Knowing Spirit was it that couldn't provide any more knowledge than what the primitive Israelites already possessed?
It says the fountains of the great deep were broken up, so I see this as much of the water came from below the crust of the earth. As far as the mentioning of other places, it just says "abroad".

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#111767 Apr 21, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>That wasn't what I was saying.
What then? That no one can take your falsehoods away from you IS something to boast about?
thulium

Perris, CA

#111768 Apr 21, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>"The Bible tells us" that all the Earth under the entire heavens was flooded to a depth of 15 cubits over the highest mountains. This is generally calculated to have happened around 4500 years ago - yet it is disputed at every turn, Genetics, archaeology, geology, biology, zoology, oceanography, climatology, meteorology,... every single discipline of study outside of "the Bible says" irrefutably indicates that the Noachian flood is a big fat lie. "The Bible tells us" that just a couple of generations after all but 2 of each "type" of animal and 8 humans were eradicated from the face of the planet there was a human workforce available and capable of building the Tower of Babel. "The Bible says" does not mention Central America. "The Bible says" doesn't mention China. "The Bible says" doesn't actually mention anywhere that there weren't any Semitic tribes, or anything that wasn't in their region, does it? What kind of All Knowing Spirit was it that couldn't provide any more knowledge than what the primitive Israelites already possessed?
Sure there are a lot of discrepancies in the bible stories that contradict science. The problem with science is that the evidence from what we observe now is used to explain the Earth's past. You think the earth took a longer time to evolve (for example taking millions of years for a mountain to form) and yet scientists explain the beginning of the universe from a Big Bang which is supposed to be some violent explosion. If that theory is true then at the beginning was a violent event that spawned galaxies and everything in it. What makes you think that the evolution process of the present day is consistent with the past? If it is, the planets in our solar system would be highly unstable because it's so enormous that it takes a much more stronger force for it to form before it gets stable that they are now. Imagine a moon forming inch by inch in millions of years? Have scientists thought about what conditions it would have caused?
thulium

Perris, CA

#111769 Apr 21, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Good grief. Y'all religies react to education and reason the way a vampire reacts to garlic and silver mirrors.
Planets do not "float." They have structure but are not structures. They are spherical because of gravity, not because they are not pyramids, mounds or cones.
News flash - they are round, but they are not discs as "the Bible tells us."
What you are really asking is couched in your definition of "created." God did it with magic, of course. 0.o
They are structures not created by man and yet more stable than a pyramid the most stable structure according to you. Planets do not float based on your definition. And they do not fly either like airplanes based on earth's physical laws. So if you have evidence how gravity evolved on its own, please provide your source.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#111770 Apr 21, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure there are a lot of discrepancies in the bible stories that contradict science. The problem with science is that the evidence from what we observe now is used to explain the Earth's past. You think the earth took a longer time to evolve (for example taking millions of years for a mountain to form) and yet scientists explain the beginning of the universe from a Big Bang which is supposed to be some violent explosion. If that theory is true then at the beginning was a violent event that spawned galaxies and everything in it. What makes you think that the evolution process of the present day is consistent with the past? If it is, the planets in our solar system would be highly unstable because it's so enormous that it takes a much more stronger force for it to form before it gets stable that they are now. Imagine a moon forming inch by inch in millions of years? Have scientists thought about what conditions it would have caused?
Honestly, I'm not even sure where to start to address your fundamental misconceptions.
You seem to be completely ignorant about the topics you are proffering as examples.
You are attempting to describe and parallel completely different things that operate by completely different mechanisms. It's like saying since it only takes 10 minutes to bake cookies it shouldn't take 30 years to grow a tree.
Put down the Bible and read a couple science books - REAL science books. NOT the pseudoscience dog poo they carry at the corner Christian bookstore.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#111771 Apr 21, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
They are structures not created by man and yet more stable than a pyramid the most stable structure according to you. Planets do not float based on your definition. And they do not fly either like airplanes based on earth's physical laws. So if you have evidence how gravity evolved on its own, please provide your source.
Word salad?
thulium

Perris, CA

#111772 Apr 21, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly, I'm not even sure where to start to address your fundamental misconceptions.
You seem to be completely ignorant about the topics you are proffering as examples.
You are attempting to describe and parallel completely different things that operate by completely different mechanisms. It's like saying since it only takes 10 minutes to bake cookies it shouldn't take 30 years to grow a tree.
Put down the Bible and read a couple science books - REAL science books. NOT the pseudoscience dog poo they carry at the corner Christian bookstore.
Just what I thought. You guys resort to ad hom when you can't provide evidence. Your useless banter will not help.

I am giving you a scenario based on your logic. I'm not comparing apples to oranges, I'm just pointing out the flaws. No matter how good your vocabulary is or what scientific facts you know, if you can't grasp the concept of what I'm trying to say, it won't do shit to you. Take a dump and study how it can be used for energy. Oh wait, somebody beat you into it. Sorry!

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#111773 Apr 21, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>It says the fountains of the great deep were broken up, so I see this as much of the water came from below the crust of the earth. As far as the mentioning of other places, it just says "abroad".
Just to submerge Mt. Ararat would require 17,000 feet of water. Do the math. The flood didn't happen. The Bible didn't give any information that a few rabbis weren't capable of inventing.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#111774 Apr 21, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you so determined to disagree with a non-Christian that you are wholly incapable of understanding what one says? A pyramid, cone or mound is a stable structure because its base is broader than its apex. Take a handful of sand and pour it onto a table - what shape does it take? Not a sphere or a cube. This simple and obvious lesson was not lost on the ancient Egyptians or Mayans, and it has NOTHING to do with Noah and Nimrod building sacrificial alters in the Yucatan.
Planets do not "float". To float something must have buoyancy. Look it up.
The planets of the solar system are in orbit (falling) around the sun. The sun (and their own) gravity is the attractive force, their velocity is the repellent force. The moon is falling around the Earth, but its velocity is slightly higher than the Earth and moon's combined gravity. Eventually the moon will move far enough away to break orbit.
I am not a physicist, but physicists have been studying gravity for centuries. You don't want to know what "makes" gravity or how and when did gravity come into existence, though those are some of the answers they are looking for. You want some way of legitimately phrasing "Who created" gravity in the first place? There is no way of making that question legitimate.
BTW, would you care to explain how "earth's physical laws" are different than Mars' physical laws or Jupiter's physical laws?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#111775 Apr 21, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/science-tick...

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#111776 Apr 21, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
Just what I thought. You guys resort to ad hom when you can't provide evidence. Your useless banter will not help.
I am giving you a scenario based on your logic. I'm not comparing apples to oranges, I'm just pointing out the flaws. No matter how good your vocabulary is or what scientific facts you know, if you can't grasp the concept of what I'm trying to say, it won't do shit to you. Take a dump and study how it can be used for energy. Oh wait, somebody beat you into it. Sorry!
No, you were giving a scenario based on your ignorance of science and lack of understanding logic. You compared the "explosion" of the Big Bang with the accretion of the moon.
What you are trying to ask is for science to substantiate the Goddiditwithmagicinsevendays theory. That isn't a concept, it is a confirmation bias.
THE LONE WORKER

Bowling Green, KY

#111777 Apr 21, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Just to submerge Mt. Ararat would require 17,000 feet of water. Do the math. The flood didn't happen. The Bible didn't give any information that a few rabbis weren't capable of inventing.
There are seven land masses that may have broken apart and caused the water to cover the earth when they moved. The number seven was mentioned in the Genesis account also regarding the birds that were used to reseed the earth.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#111778 Apr 21, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>There are seven land masses that may have broken apart and caused the water to cover the earth when they moved. The number seven was mentioned in the Genesis account also regarding the birds that were used to reseed the earth.
Pangaea was a supercontinent that existed during the late Paleozoic and early Mesozoic eras, forming approximately 300 million years ago.[2] It began to break apart around 100 million years ago.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/pangaea

Note: "It began to break apart around 100 million years ago."
THE LONE WORKER

Bowling Green, KY

#111779 Apr 21, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Pangaea was a supercontinent that existed during the late Paleozoic and early Mesozoic eras, forming approximately 300 million years ago.[2] It began to break apart around 100 million years ago.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/pangaea
Note: "It began to break apart around 100 million years ago."
The earth moving waves such as the Love Wave that could have occurred if the event happened at once, may have caused things to settle and appear to be millions of years in the making.
thulium

Perris, CA

#111780 Apr 21, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you so determined to disagree with a non-Christian that you are wholly incapable of understanding what one says? A pyramid, cone or mound is a stable structure because its base is broader than its apex. Take a handful of sand and pour it onto a table - what shape does it take? Not a sphere or a cube. This simple and obvious lesson was not lost on the ancient Egyptians or Mayans, and it has NOTHING to do with Noah and Nimrod building sacrificial alters in the Yucatan.
Planets do not "float". To float something must have buoyancy. Look it up.
The planets of the solar system are in orbit (falling) around the sun. The sun (and their own) gravity is the attractive force, their velocity is the repellent force. The moon is falling around the Earth, but its velocity is slightly higher than the Earth and moon's combined gravity. Eventually the moon will move far enough away to break orbit.
I am not a physicist, but physicists have been studying gravity for centuries. You don't want to know what "makes" gravity or how and when did gravity come into existence, though those are some of the answers they are looking for. You want some way of legitimately phrasing "Who created" gravity in the first place? There is no way of making that question legitimate.
BTW, would you care to explain how "earth's physical laws" are different than Mars' physical laws or Jupiter's physical laws?
Don't school me on elementary science, because you still don't understand. We know gravity is a fundamental force in the universe but you don't think it was created. So where did it come from?

I mentioned earth's physical laws because we depend on it and it's what we know. Do you think that aeronautics we learn in physics apply in a distant star system or how it works in a binary star?
thulium

Perris, CA

#111781 Apr 21, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you were giving a scenario based on your ignorance of science and lack of understanding logic. You compared the "explosion" of the Big Bang with the accretion of the moon.
What you are trying to ask is for science to substantiate the Goddiditwithmagicinsevendays theory. That isn't a concept, it is a confirmation bias.
According to the theory of evolution, rocks formed in a given fixed amount of time assuming that evolution in our solar system have been consistent since the time of Big Bang. If that was the case, imagine a small rock forming into a moon inch by inch in billions of years and that which it affects the planet its orbiting. What conditions might have been in during a slow process of evolution vs. a rapid and more violent event such as a supernova? I was just stating a possibility of a less stable environment therefore the time factor and speed would have been different in the past. It's like watching a movie in slow motion and believing its happening in real time. It doesn't make sense to me.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#111782 Apr 21, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the theory of evolution, rocks formed...
You say you don't need to be schooled in elementary science then you say this. Wow.
thulium wrote:
It doesn't make sense to me.
I can see why.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#111783 Apr 21, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>There are seven land masses that may have broken apart and caused the water to cover the earth when they moved. The number seven was mentioned in the Genesis account also regarding the birds that were used to reseed the earth.
You still haven't done the math. If you are now going to claim that tectonic forces submerged the land masses you are adding a dimension of catastrophe that dwarfs 40 days and nights of rain and the "founts of the deep".
and...? Are you going to claim that birds carried the seeds of kangaroos to Australia and opossums to North America?
The "Genesis account" is bogus.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#111784 Apr 21, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the theory of evolution, rocks formed in a given fixed amount of time assuming that evolution in our solar system have been consistent since the time of Big Bang. If that was the case, imagine a small rock forming into a moon inch by inch in billions of years and that which it affects the planet its orbiting. What conditions might have been in during a slow process of evolution vs. a rapid and more violent event such as a supernova? I was just stating a possibility of a less stable environment therefore the time factor and speed would have been different in the past. It's like watching a movie in slow motion and believing its happening in real time. It doesn't make sense to me.
Actually, the sun is probably a third generation star. No thing in the solar system aside from hydrogen, background radiation and subatomic particles are "since the Big Bang", and there isn't any reason to believe that physics has been either inconstant or inconsistent at any time since.
If what you are saying doesn't even make any sense to you, you should just imagine how it sounds to everyone else. Didn't I already ask you to read a science book?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's for breakfast? (May '12) 6 min Maria is Waiting 30
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 6 min Hatti_Hollerand 138,837
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 8 min Dr Wu 4,408
Patriots 'super fan' wanted after drug arrest i... 16 min Christshariahns 12
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 25 min Mega Monster 28,778
Why do YOU get on Topix? 26 min David0407 34
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 29 min Whiny1 77,992
Lets Discuss Men (Dec '13) 35 min Sublime1 521
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 42 min Wolftracks 155,428
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr TALLYHO 8541 38,535