Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 222225 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#111850 Apr 22, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No, evolution says nothing about rocks forming (geology) nor the evolution of our solar system (astrophysics).
<quoted text>
Not surprising considering your posts so far.
Agreed.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111851 Apr 22, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like today's birds, I think that flew over his head.
Speaking of birds flying overhead... I almost hit a flippin' Pelican this morning!! It's wing tip literally brushed against my windshield... That sure gets the heart pumping

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#111852 Apr 22, 2014
MrBob Jones wrote:
Why is every one so arrogant on her after reading some posts on here ive realised that the only thing this site is is a bunch of evolutionist getting angry at creationists and repeating the exact same "scientific" claim over and over then getting mad when the creationists come back at you and the creationists are just trying to say what they believe
They are welcome to their beliefs but their beliefs are immaterial to science. Perhaps if they weren't trying to push their beliefs into a science classroom, they wouldn't get so much crap.
MrBob Jones wrote:
im not trying to hate on either side but seriously you guys if you want to make a difference go teach or become a sunday school teacher dont go sit on your asses typing angry comments to eacother
A number of us are or have been teachers. What have you been doing? Sitting on YOUR ass?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#111853 Apr 22, 2014
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Speaking of birds flying overhead... I almost hit a flippin' Pelican this morning!! It's wing tip literally brushed against my windshield... That sure gets the heart pumping
For the 'Flippin Pelican' as well, I'm sure!

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#111854 Apr 22, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>Well, it is factual that birds have been known to plant seeds. I read somewhere that even the hot chilies have been planted by birds.
I've heard of birds dispersing seeds, but that isn't the same as planting them.
If a bird eats indigestible seeds then poops a mile away, do you consider it "planting"?
I do not buy into any notion that YHWH instructed pelicans or ospreys to carry avocado pits to Mexico, and I firmly doubt that you're going to find any ornithologists who do.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111855 Apr 22, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
For the 'Flippin Pelican' as well, I'm sure!
LOL!

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#111856 Apr 22, 2014
MrBob Jones wrote:
Why is every one so arrogant on her after reading some posts on here ive realised that the only thing this site is is a bunch of evolutionist getting angry at creationists and repeating the exact same "scientific" claim over and over then getting mad when the creationists come back at you and the creationists are just trying to say what they believe im not trying to hate on either side but seriously you guys if you want to make a difference go teach or become a sunday school teacher dont go sit on your asses typing angry comments to eacother
So you adopt the namesake of one who "recognized the need for a thoroughly Christian college that stood on the absolute authority of the Bible to train America’s youth", take exception to "scientific" claims (but can't even punctuate or spell, yourself), and think that creationists have some moral right to defend disinformation because of their beliefs - but you aren't hating on either side... riiight.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#111857 Apr 22, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you are wrong
Wrong about what? I asked you a question? I didn't make a claim. This means that your answer is wrong.

That must be hard for you to swallow.
thulium

Perris, CA

#111858 Apr 22, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know a number of scientists that believe in a God. I have absolutely no problem with that. What I *do* have a problem with is letting your dogma come between you and the truth. Those scientists that believe in a God also do not believe in the literal truth of Genesis or that the Earth is only a few thousand years old. They accept the scientific evidence that the bible is wrong on many scientific point. Most of them make the point that scientific truth is not the point that God is attempting to convey in the Bible (or Koran, for that matter).
On the other hand, I very much do have a problem with someone calling themselves a scientist and then denying the evidence that science has collected over the past centuries. I have a problem with those people who take their case to an uneducated public and want the debate to happen in the elementary schools rather than among those familiar with the evidence. I do have a problem when scientific conclusions have to pass a political or religious test before they are accepted instead of the scientific tests of observability, repeatability, accurate prediction, and potential falsification.
Creationists have no science to back them up, so they turn to politics to enforce their dogma. And yes, I do have a problem with that.
I can agree to that but there are things that cannot be explained.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#111859 Apr 22, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
Therefore Goddidit.
thulium

Perris, CA

#111860 Apr 22, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Therefore Goddidit.
No, it means you need to complete the theories in Science. DUH!
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#111861 Apr 22, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it means you need to complete the theories in Science. DUH!
No it doesn't. Theories are NEVER complete. NOTHING in science ever gets "100% proven". Newton's theory of gravity still got us to the planets but it still got replaced by Einstein's relativity. Then his theory got replaced by quantum physics. Science is an ever-continuing search for knowledge. It does not suddenly reach a stopping point and then say "Okay, close enough, that'll do!"

Obviously you have no idea of the importance of the concept of falsifiability is in science.

Oh, uh...

DUH!
thulium

Perris, CA

#111862 Apr 22, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
No it doesn't. Theories are NEVER complete. NOTHING in science ever gets "100% proven". Newton's theory of gravity still got us to the planets but it still got replaced by Einstein's relativity. Then his theory got replaced by quantum physics. Science is an ever-continuing search for knowledge. It does not suddenly reach a stopping point and then say "Okay, close enough, that'll do!"
Obviously you have no idea of the importance of the concept of falsifiability is in science.
Oh, uh...
DUH!
Thus my statement that there are things that cannot be explained is true. You're such a clown.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#111863 Apr 22, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
Thus my statement that there are things that cannot be explained is true. You're such a clown.
Yet there are things that can be explained. Also anything that's not explained yet is not justification for religious apologetics.

I may be a clown, but at least I have a basic grasp of evolution.
thulium

Perris, CA

#111864 Apr 22, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet there are things that can be explained. Also anything that's not explained yet is not justification for religious apologetics.
I may be a clown, but at least I have a basic grasp of evolution.
So what? Did you develop any theories of your own?

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#111865 Apr 22, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean hypothesis, if "Dude" had theory....it would be well known.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#111866 Apr 22, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many things we have not explained. That doesn't mean they cannot be explained. In fact, many things were once thought impossible to explain that have actually been explained. What makes you think the things you are thinking about *cannot* be explained? Can you give an example?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#111867 Apr 22, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
No, things do get explained, which opens up new questions that are not yet explained. When those get explained, even newer questions arise. That doesn't mean there is anything that cannot be explained, just that it takes time to get to the point that explanations are possible.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#111868 Apr 22, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that required to know some truths? I agree that it is required to find *new* truths (of course, the theory then needs to be verified through testing).

But I *have* produced new knowledge. In my case it is mathematical, not specifically scientific.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#111869 Apr 22, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I claim to?(shrug)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Play "end of the word" (Nov '08) 8 min quilterqueen 26,792
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 8 min Suezanne 222,117
Two words only please! (Aug '08) 9 min quilterqueen 41,654
Word association (Jun '07) 10 min wichita-rick 6,846
OFFBEAT.keepAword.DropAword.2011edition (Oct '11) 15 min quilterqueen 21,000
Only Three Word (Nov '09) 17 min quilterqueen 14,023
Name something that gets past around (Feb '14) 17 min Suezanne 694
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 28 min cjt12 5,473
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 2 hr Thigh High Sock 25,315
More from around the web