Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 168713 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

THE LONE WORKER

Bowling Green, KY

#111730 Apr 20, 2014
Tinka wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what the Bible is...A confusion to stir the pot...
Someone must have completed their round LET THE BELL RING!!!
ON THE HIGHEST TOWER...Did someone arrive Home again?
Jesus has risen and he has gone to prepare a new home for his followers. This is the good news of the Bible.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111731 Apr 20, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure I went to Chicago Museum of Natural History last summer
There were few if any fossil records.
Just a bunch of posters about "evolution"
Obviously we just don't have much evidence.
This is link has more evidence
http://creationmuseum.org/

Snark! LOL!

Now that is funny.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111732 Apr 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible is understandable to those of us who knows it is about the kingdom of God and his power. The most important message of the Bible is the death, the burial and the resurrection.of Jesus and his power over death that he has been given. Jesus is risen and he has gone to prepare a kingdom which will never pass away. If we harden our hearts to this good news of the kingdom, then everything the Bible is about will be confusing to us.

Which is why we have a million different denominations.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111733 Apr 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus has risen and he has gone to prepare a new home for his followers. This is the good news of the Bible.

Must be having labor issues with the subcontractors.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#111734 Apr 20, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Really.

I mean He built the entire universe in 6 days -- by SPEAKING it into existence no less -- yet after 2000 years he's STILL 'preparing' a home for our afterlife?

Wondering if it's running over budget as well.
spoko

Oakland, CA

#111735 Apr 20, 2014
Just to be clear, evolution vs. creation is not a scientific issue it is cultural. On the science side the theory is established beyond a reasonable doubt as we see independent lines of evidence converge. What we’ve learned from the fossil record is confirmed by the DNA record and confirmed again by embryology. Creationists are people who have been raised to disbelieve and reject evolution and to hold other ideas more precious than this well established knowledge. Creationism has nothing to show for its body of evidence is exactly zero.

As of now evolution is a theory, it is neither true nor false. It is a well established and current scientific theory supported by a substantial body of evidence. Like all scientific theories, it is an explanation: It explains how a single spark of life, billions of years ago, has blossomed into all of the different forms that we see today. The fact that evolution is the current theory means that most scientists believe it to be the only sensible explanation anybody's come up with as of to date. The evidence supporting it is so strong, scientists no longer question whether biological evolution has occurred and is continuing to occur. Instead, they investigate the mechanisms of evolution, how rapidly evolution can take place and related questions.

Humans, dogs, snakes, fish, monkeys, eels (and many more life forms) are all considered "chordates" because we belong to the phylum Chordata. One of the features of this phylum is that, as embryos, all these life forms have gill slits, tails, and specific anatomical structures involving the spine. For humans (and other non-fish) the gill slits reform into the bones of the ear and jaw at a later stage in development. But, initially, all chordate embryos strongly resemble each other and look alike.

Researchers have identified recent genetic change by finding long blocks of DNA base pairs that are connected. Because human DNA is constantly being reshuffled through recombination, a long, uninterrupted segment of LD is usually evidence of positive selection. Linkage disequilibrium decays quickly as recombination occurs across many generations, finding these uninterrupted segments is strong evidence of recent adaptation. The researchers found evidence of recent selection on approximately 1,800 genes, or 7 percent of all human genes.

This finding runs counter to conventional wisdom in many ways. For example, there's a strong record of skeletal changes that clearly show people became physically smaller, and their brains and teeth are also smaller. This is generally seen as a sign of relaxed selection - that size and strength is no longer the key to survival. But other pathways for evolution have opened and genetic changes are now being driven by major changes in human culture.

When Darwin wrote in "Origin of the Species" about challenges in animal breeding, he always emphasized that herd size "is of the highest importance for success" because large populations have more genetic variation and that is now confirmed. The parallel to humans is obvious: The human population has grown from a few million people 10,000 years ago to about 200 million people at A.D. 0, to 600 million people in the year 1700, to more than 6.5 billion today.

Prior to these times, the population was so small for so long that positive selection occurred at a glacial pace. What's really amazing about humans (that is not true with most other species) is that for a long time we were just a little ape species in one corner of Africa, and weren't genetically sampling anything like the potential we have now. The most recent changes are especially striking. Five thousand years is such a small sliver of time - it's 100 to 200 generations ago. That's how long it's been since some of these genes originated, and today they are in 30 or 40 percent of people because they've had such an advantage. It's like 'invasion of the body snatchers.
THE LONE WORKER

Bowling Green, KY

#111736 Apr 20, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
His workers are the people on this earth who are telling others about his kingdom. None of us know when the end will be, but we do know death will come to each of us eventually, unless he returns while we are alive, and the Bible says after we die then the judgement will come also. All things that were prophesied to come to pass will be fullfilled, then the end will come according to the Bible.You really shouldn't jest about these things.
THE LONE WORKER

Bowling Green, KY

#111737 Apr 20, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is why we have a million different denominations.
Do you not think that Jesus has risen from the dead as the Bible says? What percent of all these denominations do you think teach this?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111738 Apr 20, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Really.
I mean He built the entire universe in 6 days -- by SPEAKING it into existence no less -- yet after 2000 years he's STILL 'preparing' a home for our afterlife?
Wondering if it's running over budget as well.

The reclaimed swampland under the gold streets is causing sinking.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111739 Apr 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>Do you not think that Jesus has risen from the dead as the Bible says? What percent of all these denominations do you think teach this?

Figuratively, yes.

I would estimate about 90% of them.

Some believe in literal physical,
others in spiritual.
others figurative.
Some a combination of the above.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111740 Apr 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>His workers are the people on this earth who are telling others about his kingdom. None of us know when the end will be, but we do know death will come to each of us eventually, unless he returns while we are alive, and the Bible says after we die then the judgement will come also. All things that were prophesied to come to pass will be fullfilled, then the end will come according to the Bible.You really shouldn't jest about these things.

I am not jesting about that. I am jesting about your lack of understanding of those things.

Even cult members like the Mormons and JW's believe these things. And they believe other things.

Who is right and why?
THE LONE WORKER

Bowling Green, KY

#111741 Apr 20, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not jesting about that. I am jesting about your lack of understanding of those things.
Even cult members like the Mormons and JW's believe these things. And they believes other things.
Who is right and why?
That is the one very important teaching in the Bible. The Bible clearly says Jesus is right and our righteousness is not good enough in the sight of God. Jesus has all power in heaven and earth and our faith in him is important. If you read the New Testament openly and as it is, you will find this very important teaching.

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#111742 Apr 20, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh noes! TEH SLOT!! WE'RE DOOOOOOOOMED!!!!
BWAA HAA HAA HAA HAAAAAAAAA!!!
I knew when fishing for a fool the Dude would hit the hook,.ha.ha.ha.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111743 Apr 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>That is the one very important teaching in the Bible. The Bible clearly says Jesus is right and our righteousness is not good enough in the sight of God. Jesus has all power in heaven and earth and our faith in him is important. If you read the New Testament openly and as it is, you will find this very important teaching.

I must recommend your own advice to you and I have read the Bible several times and with different versions. The NT has not yet been exposed to the world through a decent translation so I recommend the Greek "original" (sic).
thulium

Perris, CA

#111744 Apr 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>His workers are the people on this earth who are telling others about his kingdom. None of us know when the end will be, but we do know death will come to each of us eventually, unless he returns while we are alive, and the Bible says after we die then the judgement will come also. All things that were prophesied to come to pass will be fullfilled, then the end will come according to the Bible.You really shouldn't jest about these things.
The word of god is open to interpretation. Those who prefer scientific facts will only believe such things if you show them scientific evidence. So, it's really pointless to tell them in a language they refuse to listen to.

I wish you were right though. I would love to see a new world, new heaven, and perhaps a new universe. That's the beauty of infinity, there is really no end....only something new.
thulium

Perris, CA

#111745 Apr 20, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Even cult members like the Mormons and JW's believe these things. And they believe other things.
Who is right and why?
If you haven't figured that out yet, you will never know the truth.

“Just because it is possible”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Doesn't mean it will happen.

#111746 Apr 20, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
The word of god is open to interpretation. Those who prefer scientific facts will only believe such things if you show them scientific evidence. So, it's really pointless to tell them in a language they refuse to listen to.
I wish you were right though. I would love to see a new world, new heaven, and perhaps a new universe. That's the beauty of infinity, there is really no end....only something new.
It isn't a question of refusing to listen to the language of fundamentalism, it is that fundamentalists abhor facts in favor of baseless belief. If God would have wanted a world populated in sheep, I don't think it would have been much of a challenge to make it so.

I would add, that fundamentalists fear science and have shown that they are more than willing, perhaps almost giddy to lie about, misrepresent and demean it, its supporters and practitioners. To show that all one needs to do is follow these threads for a few days.

“Just because it is possible”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Doesn't mean it will happen.

#111747 Apr 20, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
If you haven't figured that out yet, you will never know the truth.
This implies you know the truth. You will pardon me for doubting very much that you know more than the rest of us.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#111748 Apr 21, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible is understandable to those of us who knows it is about the kingdom of God and his power. The most important message of the Bible is the death, the burial and the resurrection.of Jesus and his power over death that he has been given. Jesus is risen and he has gone to prepare a kingdom which will never pass away. If we harden our hearts to this good news of the kingdom, then everything the Bible is about will be confusing to us.
Baloney. Either it's understandable or it is not.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#111749 Apr 21, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>That is the one very important teaching in the Bible. The Bible clearly says Jesus is right and our righteousness is not good enough in the sight of God. Jesus has all power in heaven and earth and our faith in him is important. If you read the New Testament openly and as it is, you will find this very important teaching.
Those particular claims are so far outside the realms of science that its hardly applicable.

You either believe these miracles happened in defiance of natural law or you do not. Evidence in favour? None. Some scribblings written second-hand, decades after the purported events. That is why believers claim its all about faith.

On the other hand the Bible makes other less important claims too, particularly the details about creation. And in this case its worse - not only is there no evidence in favour, there is a pile of evidence against the Biblical account.

Nobody in science worries particularly about the claims for Jesus and there are scientists who accept them (as outside physical law), while still accepting the theories and evidence of modern science.

But there are no real scientists who accept this Genesis malarkey literally. That is the point of disagreement and that is where fundamentalists are trying to subvert and corrupt science, denying the findings of biology, geology, physics, and astronomy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 5 min Cyan in CA 57,186
Do you believe spanking a child over the knee o... (Nov '10) 5 min Mister_ E 298
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 6 min Sublime1 165,204
Add a Word, Ruin a Movie (Oct '13) 7 min Cyan in CA 5,186
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 8 min Cyan in CA 41,806
OFFBEAT.keepAword.DropAword.2011edition (Oct '11) 10 min Cyan in CA 18,962
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 12 min Cyan in CA 79,436
motorcycle traveling stories 38 min Sublime1 1,229
News Teen Leads Mob In Ransacking Of Georgia Walmart 1 hr TALLYHO 8541 18
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 4 hr TALLYHO 8541 41,339
More from around the web