Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221446 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#111734 Apr 20, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Must be having labor issues with the subcontractors.
Really.

I mean He built the entire universe in 6 days -- by SPEAKING it into existence no less -- yet after 2000 years he's STILL 'preparing' a home for our afterlife?

Wondering if it's running over budget as well.
spoko

Oakland, CA

#111735 Apr 20, 2014
Just to be clear, evolution vs. creation is not a scientific issue it is cultural. On the science side the theory is established beyond a reasonable doubt as we see independent lines of evidence converge. What we’ve learned from the fossil record is confirmed by the DNA record and confirmed again by embryology. Creationists are people who have been raised to disbelieve and reject evolution and to hold other ideas more precious than this well established knowledge. Creationism has nothing to show for its body of evidence is exactly zero.

As of now evolution is a theory, it is neither true nor false. It is a well established and current scientific theory supported by a substantial body of evidence. Like all scientific theories, it is an explanation: It explains how a single spark of life, billions of years ago, has blossomed into all of the different forms that we see today. The fact that evolution is the current theory means that most scientists believe it to be the only sensible explanation anybody's come up with as of to date. The evidence supporting it is so strong, scientists no longer question whether biological evolution has occurred and is continuing to occur. Instead, they investigate the mechanisms of evolution, how rapidly evolution can take place and related questions.

Humans, dogs, snakes, fish, monkeys, eels (and many more life forms) are all considered "chordates" because we belong to the phylum Chordata. One of the features of this phylum is that, as embryos, all these life forms have gill slits, tails, and specific anatomical structures involving the spine. For humans (and other non-fish) the gill slits reform into the bones of the ear and jaw at a later stage in development. But, initially, all chordate embryos strongly resemble each other and look alike.

Researchers have identified recent genetic change by finding long blocks of DNA base pairs that are connected. Because human DNA is constantly being reshuffled through recombination, a long, uninterrupted segment of LD is usually evidence of positive selection. Linkage disequilibrium decays quickly as recombination occurs across many generations, finding these uninterrupted segments is strong evidence of recent adaptation. The researchers found evidence of recent selection on approximately 1,800 genes, or 7 percent of all human genes.

This finding runs counter to conventional wisdom in many ways. For example, there's a strong record of skeletal changes that clearly show people became physically smaller, and their brains and teeth are also smaller. This is generally seen as a sign of relaxed selection - that size and strength is no longer the key to survival. But other pathways for evolution have opened and genetic changes are now being driven by major changes in human culture.

When Darwin wrote in "Origin of the Species" about challenges in animal breeding, he always emphasized that herd size "is of the highest importance for success" because large populations have more genetic variation and that is now confirmed. The parallel to humans is obvious: The human population has grown from a few million people 10,000 years ago to about 200 million people at A.D. 0, to 600 million people in the year 1700, to more than 6.5 billion today.

Prior to these times, the population was so small for so long that positive selection occurred at a glacial pace. What's really amazing about humans (that is not true with most other species) is that for a long time we were just a little ape species in one corner of Africa, and weren't genetically sampling anything like the potential we have now. The most recent changes are especially striking. Five thousand years is such a small sliver of time - it's 100 to 200 generations ago. That's how long it's been since some of these genes originated, and today they are in 30 or 40 percent of people because they've had such an advantage. It's like 'invasion of the body snatchers.
THE LONE WORKER

United States

#111736 Apr 20, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Must be having labor issues with the subcontractors.
His workers are the people on this earth who are telling others about his kingdom. None of us know when the end will be, but we do know death will come to each of us eventually, unless he returns while we are alive, and the Bible says after we die then the judgement will come also. All things that were prophesied to come to pass will be fullfilled, then the end will come according to the Bible.You really shouldn't jest about these things.
THE LONE WORKER

United States

#111737 Apr 20, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is why we have a million different denominations.
Do you not think that Jesus has risen from the dead as the Bible says? What percent of all these denominations do you think teach this?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111738 Apr 20, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Really.
I mean He built the entire universe in 6 days -- by SPEAKING it into existence no less -- yet after 2000 years he's STILL 'preparing' a home for our afterlife?
Wondering if it's running over budget as well.

The reclaimed swampland under the gold streets is causing sinking.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111739 Apr 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>Do you not think that Jesus has risen from the dead as the Bible says? What percent of all these denominations do you think teach this?

Figuratively, yes.

I would estimate about 90% of them.

Some believe in literal physical,
others in spiritual.
others figurative.
Some a combination of the above.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111740 Apr 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>His workers are the people on this earth who are telling others about his kingdom. None of us know when the end will be, but we do know death will come to each of us eventually, unless he returns while we are alive, and the Bible says after we die then the judgement will come also. All things that were prophesied to come to pass will be fullfilled, then the end will come according to the Bible.You really shouldn't jest about these things.

I am not jesting about that. I am jesting about your lack of understanding of those things.

Even cult members like the Mormons and JW's believe these things. And they believe other things.

Who is right and why?
THE LONE WORKER

United States

#111741 Apr 20, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not jesting about that. I am jesting about your lack of understanding of those things.
Even cult members like the Mormons and JW's believe these things. And they believes other things.
Who is right and why?
That is the one very important teaching in the Bible. The Bible clearly says Jesus is right and our righteousness is not good enough in the sight of God. Jesus has all power in heaven and earth and our faith in him is important. If you read the New Testament openly and as it is, you will find this very important teaching.

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#111742 Apr 20, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh noes! TEH SLOT!! WE'RE DOOOOOOOOMED!!!!
BWAA HAA HAA HAA HAAAAAAAAA!!!
I knew when fishing for a fool the Dude would hit the hook,.ha.ha.ha.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111743 Apr 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>That is the one very important teaching in the Bible. The Bible clearly says Jesus is right and our righteousness is not good enough in the sight of God. Jesus has all power in heaven and earth and our faith in him is important. If you read the New Testament openly and as it is, you will find this very important teaching.

I must recommend your own advice to you and I have read the Bible several times and with different versions. The NT has not yet been exposed to the world through a decent translation so I recommend the Greek "original" (sic).
thulium

Perris, CA

#111744 Apr 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>His workers are the people on this earth who are telling others about his kingdom. None of us know when the end will be, but we do know death will come to each of us eventually, unless he returns while we are alive, and the Bible says after we die then the judgement will come also. All things that were prophesied to come to pass will be fullfilled, then the end will come according to the Bible.You really shouldn't jest about these things.
The word of god is open to interpretation. Those who prefer scientific facts will only believe such things if you show them scientific evidence. So, it's really pointless to tell them in a language they refuse to listen to.

I wish you were right though. I would love to see a new world, new heaven, and perhaps a new universe. That's the beauty of infinity, there is really no end....only something new.
thulium

Perris, CA

#111745 Apr 20, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not jesting about that. I am jesting about your lack of understanding of those things.
Even cult members like the Mormons and JW's believe these things. And they believe other things.
Who is right and why?
If you haven't figured that out yet, you will never know the truth.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#111746 Apr 20, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
The word of god is open to interpretation. Those who prefer scientific facts will only believe such things if you show them scientific evidence. So, it's really pointless to tell them in a language they refuse to listen to.
I wish you were right though. I would love to see a new world, new heaven, and perhaps a new universe. That's the beauty of infinity, there is really no end....only something new.
It isn't a question of refusing to listen to the language of fundamentalism, it is that fundamentalists abhor facts in favor of baseless belief. If God would have wanted a world populated in sheep, I don't think it would have been much of a challenge to make it so.

I would add, that fundamentalists fear science and have shown that they are more than willing, perhaps almost giddy to lie about, misrepresent and demean it, its supporters and practitioners. To show that all one needs to do is follow these threads for a few days.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#111747 Apr 20, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
If you haven't figured that out yet, you will never know the truth.
This implies you know the truth. You will pardon me for doubting very much that you know more than the rest of us.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#111748 Apr 21, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible is understandable to those of us who knows it is about the kingdom of God and his power. The most important message of the Bible is the death, the burial and the resurrection.of Jesus and his power over death that he has been given. Jesus is risen and he has gone to prepare a kingdom which will never pass away. If we harden our hearts to this good news of the kingdom, then everything the Bible is about will be confusing to us.
Baloney. Either it's understandable or it is not.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#111749 Apr 21, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>That is the one very important teaching in the Bible. The Bible clearly says Jesus is right and our righteousness is not good enough in the sight of God. Jesus has all power in heaven and earth and our faith in him is important. If you read the New Testament openly and as it is, you will find this very important teaching.
Those particular claims are so far outside the realms of science that its hardly applicable.

You either believe these miracles happened in defiance of natural law or you do not. Evidence in favour? None. Some scribblings written second-hand, decades after the purported events. That is why believers claim its all about faith.

On the other hand the Bible makes other less important claims too, particularly the details about creation. And in this case its worse - not only is there no evidence in favour, there is a pile of evidence against the Biblical account.

Nobody in science worries particularly about the claims for Jesus and there are scientists who accept them (as outside physical law), while still accepting the theories and evidence of modern science.

But there are no real scientists who accept this Genesis malarkey literally. That is the point of disagreement and that is where fundamentalists are trying to subvert and corrupt science, denying the findings of biology, geology, physics, and astronomy.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#111750 Apr 21, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible is understandable to those of us who knows it is about the kingdom of God and his power. The most important message of the Bible is the death, the burial and the resurrection.of Jesus and his power over death that he has been given. Jesus is risen and he has gone to prepare a kingdom which will never pass away. If we harden our hearts to this good news of the kingdom, then everything the Bible is about will be confusing to us.
There is nothing in the Bible that is particularly confusing.

Nor is there anything confusing about this notion: offered a bribe that saves you from the fear of death, and it unjustly absolves you of guilt for your transgressions against others, so you are willing to overlook and make just about any excuse for the obvious errors, contradictions, and falsehoods in the Bible.

And you are willing to attack science, the highest endeavour towards truth and intellectual honesty that humans have so far achieved, in order to defend your "soul saving" myths.

Science has not falsified the notion of God, but it has falsified enough of the Bible that you fear its little promise/bribe/threat might not be real. If there really is a God, the thought that He would stoop to the moral level of the Bible is pretty hard to swallow.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#111751 Apr 21, 2014
thulium wrote:
<quoted text>
The word of god is open to interpretation. Those who prefer scientific facts will only believe such things if you show them scientific evidence. So, it's really pointless to tell them in a language they refuse to listen to.
That's right. Some of us demand facts. Without facts, any one of a thousand "faith based" belief systems are equally tenable. You only accept the Bible because you were born where you are. If you were born in Saudi Arabia, you would say without doubt that the Quran is the word of God.

That is the reason some of us prefer science. The periodic table is the periodic table no matter what brand of superstitious nonsense you prefer to subscribe to on your day off.
THE LONE WORKER

United States

#111752 Apr 21, 2014
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Those particular claims are so far outside the realms of science that its hardly applicable.
You either believe these miracles happened in defiance of natural law or you do not. Evidence in favour? None. Some scribblings written second-hand, decades after the purported events. That is why believers claim its all about faith.
On the other hand the Bible makes other less important claims too, particularly the details about creation. And in this case its worse - not only is there no evidence in favour, there is a pile of evidence against the Biblical account.
Nobody in science worries particularly about the claims for Jesus and there are scientists who accept them (as outside physical law), while still accepting the theories and evidence of modern science.
But there are no real scientists who accept this Genesis malarkey literally. That is the point of disagreement and that is where fundamentalists are trying to subvert and corrupt science, denying the findings of biology, geology, physics, and astronomy.
Do you even know what a miracle from God is? Creation itself was a miracle from the power of God. Why would a Christian deny that our Creator has this kind of great power, unless they are afraid for their livelyhoods or something?

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#111753 Apr 21, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>Do you even know what a miracle from God is? Creation itself was a miracle from the power of God. Why would a Christian deny that our Creator has this kind of great power, unless they are afraid for their livelyhoods or something?
The creation story in Genesis is an allegory. All the physical evidence indicates a much different account. Christianity does not mean you check your brain at the church door.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 min F_R_E_D 217,375
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 10 min SweLL GirL 7,891
hoosier hillbilly (May '13) 21 min Princess Hey 28
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 45 min wichita-rick 23,787
Memorial Day 57 min Info 53
News Man held in Las Vegas sex assaults, kidnap, rob... 1 hr ilove Russia 5
Make highest comment in Offbeat topix forum (Dec '12) 1 hr Princess Hey 83
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 5 hr 8541 MARINE 75,330
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 5 hr harleyhoney 22,013
News Ben & Jerry's 'no-same-flavor' rule implemented... 8 hr Christsharia sLaw 31
More from around the web